Why Lindsay Must Go (Part 3)

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Faylinn, Mar 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cSiNyFrEaK30

cSiNyFrEaK30 Police Officer

And....recommence headdesking.

This whole storyline has been ridiculous from the start, and now its even worse. It really is dragging down the show (i.e. taking away time from developing good villians and good cases for the main idea of a CRIME SHOW), and its dragging down the quality of the writing. The fact that a scientist, who is supposedly smart enough to work in a crime scene lab, has no idea what effects chemicals might have on her unborn child.....cant he writers really make Lindsay any more unlikeable?

Danny has to run through a list of questions (from her medical history to what she wants the baby to be) before he can ask her to marry him--really? To me this only solidifies the fact that they don't communicate, and he needed to learn SOMETHING deeper about her other than her knife and fishing pole she got when she was nine before he could feel okay about proposing...someone in love wouldn't need that.

And did anyone else think that her "hand on his shoulder" thing when she's turning him down was extremely lame? It wasnt natural at all, and I could almost see the wheels turning in Belknap's head..."now the script says put my hand on his shoulder...okay....now it says say no.....got it."

2. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

That was something I noticed back in "All Access" and yeah, here as well. She's just so unnatural. I don't think that was her worst moment, though...that would definitely be the scene where she realizes the toxic chemicals might be dangerous to her baby. There was no reaction on her face! There should have been emotions like fear or concern coming from her...but no, nothing. She's just not a very good actress--there's no depth or subtlety to her actions. There are no layers to Lindsay; it's all surface.

3. kinkapoodles

kinkapoodles Judge

I liked the scene where she shot the bow. Her enthusiasm actually seemed genuine but I didn't care for her at the end. I definitely felt she tried to one-up Danny and to say she knew Mac better when she'd only been there a few months, it just didn't sit well with me.

There's a few episodes in Season 2 that I thought she was ok. Bad Beat was a good example with the shotgun in the dumpster. The name escapes me and I watched the episode last week but the one with the lube wrestling was another good example but it's downhill after that. I think if they would have kept her light-hearted, I wouldn't have found her so annoying.

4. cSiNyFrEaK30

So after watching Forbidden Fruit, I have to say I am annoyed with the fact that already they are letting Lindsay using her pregnancy as an excuse for her behavior. She can't eat a berry for a demonstration because she's pregnant, but she can work around hazardous chemicals no problem? That just really irks me.

I understand the pregnancy is part of the show and her character now, and honestly, I can learn to suck it up and live with it if its written decently...but if we have to see Lindsay making excuses for herself every episode simply because she is pregnant, I don't know how much more I can handle.

5. Shytownmofo

Shytownmofo Lab Technician

Tell me about it. I thought I was going to puke when she said that. Of course, more excuses for Miss Perfect Montana. Y'know, if they created a character with some depth, they wouldn't have this problem.

6. WhosLaughingNow

WhosLaughingNow Lab Technician

How the berry scene should have gone:

Lindsay: I'm pregnant, just humor me.
    Mac: I'm your boss... You know, the reason you're getting those paychecks which will support your child, and hopefully send it to college one day. Maybe you should humor me.

7. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

Those demonstrations just annoy me. They're not necessary, and it seems like she either gets most of them, or they just ANNOUNCE them more plainly so that I notice them more. I could see if she was doing a test and had all of that stuff ready when Mac walked in, and he sort of watched as she figured something out - but she knew the answers, so the demonstration was essentially going around her elbow to get to her nose. Mac's a very intelligent scientist - I'm sure he'd get it if you just said what was going on. Mac eating the berry and munching the onion was unnecessary for him (and us) to get it. They could have shown a flashback of someone eating the berry and then eating something 'gross' while Lindsay explained, and it would have provided the same visual accompaniment to the scene.

Of course, then we wouldn't have gotten two pregnancy mentions, an announcement of a Famous Demonstration and the demonstration itself (at Mac's expense) otherwise. :rolleyes: I know it's supposed to be a cute little inside-joke sort of thing, but I'm not amused.

8. Elsie

Elsie Shopaholic

Whereas I thought I was going to puke when Mac started chowing down on that raw onion. In fairness, there are all kinds of safety precautions in place for all people working around hazardous chemicals, and Lindsay would be unlikely to suffer adversely from being around them, but it is less likely that she would risk consuming a strange berry, which probably isn't recommended for pregnant women. Or maybe it was simply the thought of the onion that turned her stomach.

Of course, Mac saying it was another one of her 'famous demonstrations' did have me rolling my eyes.

9. Poppet

Poppet Police Officer

Lindsay isn't at risk from the chemicals but her unborn child definately is, a high percentage of chemicals in a lab are teratogens and have the ability to cause birth defects. There are no safety precautions that are 100%.

Apart from that I didn't get the impression she didn't want to eat the berry herself due to her pregnancy, she just wanted to demonstrate on Mac and he should let her because shes pregnant and therefore she should get her own way.

I really don't get what TPTB think is cute about her demonstrations, they drive me up the wall. There is nothing cute about talking down to your boss, you just come out looking full of yourself, oh my mistake this is Lindsay we are talking about and she is the self centred one.

10. cSiNyFrEaK30

LMAO:lol::lol::lol:

I'm disappointed that Mac hasn't called her out on that behavior. Of course, it is Lindsay, and she seems to get a pass on anything bad that she does, so I guess I shouldn't expect it, but come on.

The thing that bugs me about her demonstrations is that she always knows the answer before she does them, just wants everyone else to know that she knew first. She wastes valuable time in the lab just showing people that she knows what's going on, instead of simply telling Mac or whoever to make the case go faster. That, and she is constantly pushing it off on someone else. Now, if she were to eat the berry first then munch on the onion, then give one to Mac, I'd be fine with that. But the fact that she cajoled Mac into eating it with her pregnancy excuse (and Mac didn't look like he liked the taste of the berry at all) really drags down my already low opinion of her. She did it in the second season too, when she smeared that smelly stuff on his lip--she could have easily done it to herself and showed him the same thing.

Maybe her demonstrations are supposed to show how excited she is about her work and how thrilled she is at finding answers, but they only come across as showoffy and annoying.

11. Shytownmofo

Yeah. I really wish he would call her on it directly. I get the sense that he gets impatient with it, but doesn't say anything, but...come on, tell her to get to the point.

Yeah, it's the blatant "Look at me, I'm smart!" thing that gets on my nerves as well. If they're going to show how much she enjoys the work and finding the answers to the questions, why can't they find a different way. The way they do it now, she just comes across as a know it all. As someone else mentioned, I liked the scene in "Stuck on You" where she shot the crossbow. There, she looked genuinely enthusiastic, as opposed to the other scenes where she looks like she's trying to be teacher's pet.

12. Raven04

Raven04 Police Officer

Is Lindsay going to use the excuse "I'm pregnant" every time she wants something? Just wondering...

13. Shytownmofo

Knowing how things have gone on the show so far, probably so, Which is a shame.

I mean, I wouldn't mind her glory hounding/attention whoring so much if Mac and Stella called her on it the way they've called out Adam, Hawkes, and especially Danny over the years. It's just, they haven't so there's no growth there (or pretty much any other area) so she's pertty much the same as when she first came on the show three or four years ago. Plus, it does Mac and Stella's characters a disservice by being so contrary to how they'd be with anyone else.

14. cSiNyFrEaK30

It really does, and its even more of a shame to see such wonderful characters like them be handicapped by Lindsay. There is nothing about her that should sway Mac and Stella from treating her any differently than they treat Danny, Hawkes, or Adam. The three of them behave more professionally than Lindsay does, and show a greater dedication to the job than Lindsay ever has. Not once have I heard Danny, Adam, or Hawkes complaining about having to do a certain part of their job, and Adam and Hawkes have never walked off the job or done anything against protocol, which Lindsay has done at least once each. When Danny went against protocol by telling IAB his side of the story in On The Job, Mac tore him apart, similarly so when he went ahead with the investigation with the living statue case. Hawkes got yelled at for not disclosing that he knew a victim in a case, and even Adam got yelled at for simply doing his job, and giving the evidence he collected to Mac's superior. Lindsay has walked off the job, left out evidence, complained about having to do certain aspects of her job....and still hasn't faced any Mac or Stella consequences-instead they just baby her.

I'm really sick of it. If they are going to give Lindsay a pass on everything she does, then why not other workers who have shown they are superior to her character?

15. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

To be fair, Danny has complained about doing jobs before - I can't remember a specific example right now, but Danny does get a bit whiny at times. And Adam and Hawkes have broken protocol - Adam went to Flack when the evidence led to his sister instead of going to Mac like he should and Hawkes didn't tell Mac he briefly met a vic on the subway or somewhere and either got her phone number or gave her his number.

The problem is that everyone save Lindsay has gotten reamed for doing things they shouldn't (and in Danny's case he got taken off the promotion grid - not that he didn't deserve it) and in some cases reamed for nothing while Lindsay gets "I'm more concerned about you" when she leaves evidence unattended during the lab's reaccreditation for no other reason than she's had a "fight" with her "boyfriend" (who is also her co-worker but that's a whole other rant) and can't be adult enough to be in the same room with him.

Yeah, this is a TV show and pretty much everyone on the staff including Mac could've been fired by this point, so that part is unrealistic for everyone; but with Lindsay she doesn't even get the Wrath of Mac that everyone else does and that's just baffling.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.