Your Thoughts on the upcoming Danny/Lindsay development (SPOILERS!!!)

Is a D/L baby a good thing for CSI: NY?

• Yes

Votes: 89 41.6%
  • No

Votes: 84 39.3%
  • I'm not sure yet

Votes: 40 18.7%
  • No opinion

Votes: 1 0.5%

• Total voters
Re: Your Thoughts on the upcoming Danny/Lindsay development (SPOILERS!

Btw, does Lindsay's possible trip to Montana during Anna's maternity leave belong into this thread? If yes, I'm curious to see that. Maybe we'll be able to learn more about her family and her relationship to them. That would be great, because we still don't know much about the Monroes.
I think it ties into the topic at hand, so I'd say so.

Using Anna's maternity leave to tell more about Lindsay's character would be a good thing since the character has gotten so little individual development so far - as long as they do it better than they handled things during season 3. (For one thing, she went home, but we saw no sign of her family at the trial? What a wasted opportunity.)

The thing I still don't get is how they intend to reveal more about Lindsay while Anna is on maternity leave. Obviously if Anna is on maternity leave Lindsay won't be on the show; so anything they reveal or develop about the character would have to be through other people (namely Danny). That's not developing Lindsay, that's continuing to use Danny to support a character that has no individual development.

My guess is if they do that, she'll go to Montana and be there for a few episodes while Anna is on maternity leave, then Danny will hop a plane to go see her (when Anna's leave is over) and we'll get infoz - before Lindsay pops her kid, of course.

Of course, like you say, that would require Danny being involved for us to know anything about Lindsay, but what else is new? I honestly think at this point any plans to give Lindsay individual development went right out the window when they decided to write in the baby - I'll be very surprised if Lindsay gets any development on her own this season (or, you know, ever).

^ETA: Agreed, completely. This definitely solidifies once and for all Lindsay's role as Danny's love interest...and nothing more. But given that she hasn't ever really had any development outside of him--even her whole 'dark secret' storyline was tied in with Danny in the end--is that really a surprise?

I also think that people are seriously deluding themselves if they think the only reason Lindsay acted like she did was because Danny forgot her birthday. There was way more to it. Lindsay said it herself, she felt like she had lost her best friend, it was pretty obvious that since Rueben died he had completely shut her out. Also Lindsay told him it wasnt about that. Her birthday and the dinner date. So I don't know where people are getting that from.

Right. Lindsay made a situation that was about Danny and his grief about her. If that isn't the height of selfishness, I don't know what is. Why not just come to him and say, "Danny, I want to be there for you, but I feel like you're shutting me out." Why immediately attack someone who is obviously down for reasons she full well knows and take emotional jabs designed to hurt that person?

And on the whole cheating issue once again..There was too much evidence that suggested he did. Him making up stories about being to busy when she asked him for lunch, him trying to weasel his way out of why he forgot her brithday, him looking awfully guilty when Lindsay says "obviously you decided to do it all on your own" in her speech in RND. And even Danny himself saying "How sorry I am for pushing you away" to which Lindsay replied " Danny, I tried to give you your space, but I dont know how much longer I can feel alone, its messing with my work, its breaking my heart" Hmm certainly doesnt sound like they were broken up to me.

PL never said they were apart. He said, their relationship had cooled when Danny hooked up with Rikki. Yeah it had cooled alright, because Danny was so consumed with guilt and grief he pushed Lindsay away after Rueben died.

Talk about picking and choosing what you want to hear from TPTB. ;) Lenkov answered a question about whether Danny cheated or not by saying their relationship had cooled. To me, that says TPTB don't think he cheated. Or is it only convenient to go with their assessment when they say what you want to hear? I don't care for Danny and Lindsay as a couple, but if Lenkov says they're together in season five, then they're together in season five.

Yeah not the look at the end of that scene, the one before that when L says " But obviously you decided to do this all on your own ". From exerience when somone looks down and diverts eye contact, its usually is a sign of guilt. I have shown that very scene to numerous people that don't watch the show, and everyone of them said it was a guilty look, not one of bewilderment or him being baffled.

It's consistent with the behavior Danny always displays when he's chastised. He's very much like a little child when he's being chewed out. He protests a little and then hangs his head and just takes it.

Once again, it gets brought up. Lindsay should have been more understanding. . Seriously the woman gave him space, because thats what she thought he wanted, going through the same thing herself, I suppose she sort of felt thats what he probably needed at the time. From personal experience if someone doesn't want to let you in, there aint much you can do about it.

Again, then why not come to him and say that? Why did she decide instead to deliver a cruel speech designed to make him feel worse than he already obviously did?

I am not one of these people that excuses Danny, just because he looks good.:rolleyes:.

Statements like that really undermine the credibility of your argument. What if I said the only reason you're defending Lindsay is because she's a Canon Sue who people can use to imagine they're dating Danny? That wouldn't be very nice, would it? ;) Neither is the reverse.

Danny is often percieved as a bit of a player, someone thats afraid of commitment.

From one joking comment made to Mac in season one. :rolleyes: Danny's not a player. Danny, the guy who took a whole episode to approach a woman on the train who was giving him come hither glances? Danny, the guy who routinely gets hit on by women he's questioning but makes no move to reciprocate? Delko on Miami, before he got shot in the head, was a player. Danny has never been a player.

Having L shut him out, made Danny realise what it was like to love someone and to have that person shut you out and close off, just like he had done to her.

You mean just like she'd done to him back in season three? I think Lindsay set the tone for their relationship with her behavior.

Danny pushed her to that speech IMO. He was arrogant especially about not wanting to go out for dinner and telling her she was making a big deal out of it. I think that after weeks/months of trying to get through to him, she had finally had enough. I wonder what people here would do in that situation. IMO we shouldn't be so quick to judge.

He did push her once he made an effort and she gave him attitude for the second time in the episode (the first being when she shoved the folder at him in front of Hawkes). I'll readily grant his voice had a rather cruel tone to it when he addressed her. Maybe he was tired of her BS, perhaps? But being Danny, once she continued to treat him like crap and push him away, he came running back with his tail between his legs.

Oh and on PTSD.

Symptoms:
* Making an effort to avoid thoughts, feelings, or conversations about the traumatic event.
* Making an effort to avoid places or people that remind you of the traumatic event. (wasnt the killers name Daniel)
* Having a difficult time remembering important parts of the traumatic event.
* A loss of interest in important, once positive, activities.
* Feeling distant from others.
* Experiencing difficulties having positive feelings, such as happiness or love.
* Feeling as though your life may be cut short.

# Feeling more irritable or having outbursts of anger.
# Having difficulty concentrating.
# Feeling constantly "on guard" or like danger is lurking around every corner.

Acting or feeling as though the traumatic event were happening again, sometimes called a "flashback."

Interesting. Sort of sounds like Lindsay doesnt it. Back in season 3. Also PTDS can be re triggered by something. The trial and capture of her friends murderer, certainly explains that IMO

What explains her behavior in season four? Or are we supposed to give her a permanent pass for this supposed PTSD?

Which Relationship? the one of friends,maybe friends with benefits?
She never has taken the time to get to know the real Danny,otherwise she wouldn`t have reacted like she did.
Why does Flack and even Mac know how to deal with Danny,and yet his supposely gf doesn`t know what to do.

Biiiiingo! Mac, who I think we can all agree isn't good at dealing with big, messy emotions, still found a way to try to comfort Danny. Flack doesn't handle things the same way Danny does at all, but man, if Danny's in trouble, Flack will drop everything for him a heartbeat.

Danny's "girlfriend"? Chews him out full well knowing he's in pain. That's not love, that's selfishness.

All that being said, we're in the fifth season now and according to TPTB Danny and Lindsay are together, and they're going to have a baby. How do you guys see them moving forward as a couple? Can they be healthy? And will the baby be what solidifies them as a couple?

Oh and on PTSD.

Symptoms:
* Making an effort to avoid thoughts, feelings, or conversations about the traumatic event.
* Making an effort to avoid places or people that remind you of the traumatic event. (wasnt the killers name Daniel)
* Having a difficult time remembering important parts of the traumatic event.
* A loss of interest in important, once positive, activities.
* Feeling distant from others.
* Experiencing difficulties having positive feelings, such as happiness or love.
* Feeling as though your life may be cut short.

# Feeling more irritable or having outbursts of anger.
# Having difficulty concentrating.
# Feeling constantly "on guard" or like danger is lurking around every corner.

Acting or feeling as though the traumatic event were happening again, sometimes called a "flashback."

Interesting. Sort of sounds like Lindsay doesnt it. Back in season 3. Also PTDS can be re triggered by something. The trial and capture of her friends murderer, certainly explains that IMO

Last time I checked, PTSD was more of a continuous thing, not just when a plot ploy that plays with it. I refer again to Manhattan Manhunt- if she had PTSD, she would've run fromt he room screaming rather than try to argue that she should work the crime scene. That would've triggered it, as it was multiple young girls dead in a pool of their own blood, but there was nothing.

I'll subscribe to retriggering- because, as I said, I always believed it was a situational thing. The trial dug up things she hadn't thought about or dealt with. I don't agree that's PTSD, as what I've been taught previously about the disease course does not jive with her symptoms. And I doubt they teach us misinformation in school, where we need to know what the diseases are so we can help treat them. Just saying.

Anyways...

All that being said, we're in the fifth season now and according to TPTB Danny and Lindsay are together, and they're going to have a baby. How do you guys see them moving forward as a couple? Can they be healthy? And will the baby be what solidifies them as a couple?

I'm thinking no, that they can't be healthy. I'm thinking this baby isn't going to fix things with them. Their track record indicates that when they become stressed, they don't turn to each other but instead turn to everyone else. I don't have faith in them working out their issues because the baby's in the picture based on where they've been in the past.

I can be wrong, and have been wrong in the past. And believe me, I'd be pleasantly surprised if I was wrong. The last thing I want to see is more drama between the two of them because Danny didn't wake up to change the diapers last night like he should've. But I see them either moving in together and getting married because they feel like they have to with the baby and it causes more drama, or they're going to break up and there'll be drama about him not supporting her the way he should. :rolleyes:

OR, we'll have no idea what they mean to each other, because TPTB will never clearly say and we'll be left to draw our own conclusions, as they've always done. ;)

I don`t see how this relationship is healthy for either of them and then to trow a baby in the mix is only gonna be more drama then it will be doing anything good.
Or like racingzombies said they let it all hang up in the air for people and just use it when it`s needed for some drama.

I'm thinking no, that they can't be healthy. I'm thinking this baby isn't going to fix things with them. Their track record indicates that when they become stressed, they don't turn to each other but instead turn to everyone else. I don't have faith in them working out their issues because the baby's in the picture based on where they've been in the past.

I can be wrong, and have been wrong in the past. And believe me, I'd be pleasantly surprised if I was wrong. The last thing I want to see is more drama between the two of them because Danny didn't wake up to change the diapers last night like he should've. But I see them either moving in together and getting married because they feel like they have to with the baby and it causes more drama, or they're going to break up and there'll be drama about him not supporting her the way he should. :rolleyes:

OR, we'll have no idea what they mean to each other, because TPTB will never clearly say and we'll be left to draw our own conclusions, as they've always done. ;)

I agree that track record indicates that they don't turn to each other when they are having a problem, and I think that it'll be interesting to see how they react if they are supposed to be moving forward as a couple. With a baby.

To be honest, I don't see them sharing their problems with each other, they haven't in the past and I can't see them doing it even if they are together. In my opinion it can't be that healthy for either of them to be together but lacking that level of communication. For a couple to be unable to support each other, or perceive the other to be unable to support them, is sad and the relationship quite possibly doomed in the longer term.

That's my longer term view of it, but in the more immediate future, moving forward with their relationship this season, I actually do expect them to be together, probably brought together by the baby. And Ultimately I do expect Danny to utter those three little words to Lindsay. That's what I see for at least the next season. It won't be easy and I'm sure they'll have drama along the way, but they'll be together in the end and I'm thinking that we won't be left to draw our own conclusions this time.

The whole idea of a baby solidifying a relationship is kind of weird. It rarely happens, if there are cracks in a relationship anyway then they'll reappear at some point down the road if they're not dealt with. That's not to say they can't be healthy but there certainly needs to be some honesty between them. That's what worries me really, because tptb seem to love the drama between these two so I'm not sure they will allow for too much honesty at this point. For me, there has never been any doubt that Danny and Lindsay have strong feelings for each other but it's not enough.

Personally I prefer the idea of them forging ahead as friends who are having a child at this point. If Lindsay doesn't already know about Rikki then I can't imaging Danny now telling her and I suspect tptb will bring it up at some point in the future, that doesn't bode well for their relationship.

I would love to see them getting down to the nitty gritty of what's gone wrong so far, I want to see how Lindsay's behaviour in S3 affected Danny's inability to go to her in S4, I want to see Lindsay acknowledging in more depth how she's not good at the emotional stuff and I want to see her being there for Danny. But, I fear that it's not going to happen.

If tptb spring the whole baby thing on us in 5:09 without even having had them interact up until that point then it's gonna be weirder than weird and will undermine the credibility of the storyline big time. What would be worse is if they then have a 'baby' scene every third episode just to remind us that she's pregnant and that Danny's the daddy.

I think that everything depends on the writers.
I mean they could have made the D/L thing great in season 4, but they screwed up. This nobody-knows-they-are-together-or-not thing, then suddenly that monologue, and the break-up: first nothing after that too much, it was weird and stupid. It could have been better.
This pregnancy IMO the same. It can be a sweet thing, and a good storyline for both Danny and Lindsay, and I hope it will be that way, but the writers can make it bad.

Anyway, I'm glad and I believe that it will be great!!!

TPTB say they're together, so I will expect definitive, non-ambiguous proof of their relationship and where it stands. That's a must at this point. They can't keep doing this 'I say it but you can't see it' song and dance. Ideally, something will happen before 5.09 to acknowledge the relationship, but if not, it will hopefully be dealt with skillfully.

I think the comments made by everybody else are pretty spot-on with how I see things going as well. :)

Danny will say 'I love you' (because it's Necessary), and they will ultimately be married (although admittedly perhaps not this season). As for their relationship itself - hopefully, the way things go will jive with what has happened so far (and we won't get sudden behaviors and dialogue that go against what we've seen). Lenkov's comment that it won't all be coming up roses is somewhat comforting, although at this point I will be incredibly surprised if I end up enjoying this storyline and feeling like it is the "organic" development it has been described as. Only time will tell.

Can they be healthy? Nothing is set in stone, so yes, they can be. Not if they stay exactly the way they are now, but it can work out in the longterm given that they work on it. (Quite frankly, if nothing changes but the baby, I won't believe it if TPTB tries to sell it as a healthy relationship.)

Will the baby solidify them as a couple? Um, it shouldn't. The baby solidifies their relationship in the sense that they have this child that will connect them forever, but they themselves are the ones that need to solidify their relationship. Hopefully the writers won't take the easy road and have the baby correct pre-existing problems.

Last edited:

^I have the same reservations. I guess the two things I'd really like to see addressed are Lindsay's self-centeredness and Danny's emotional damage, and the bad choices those traits cause them each to make. It would be nice to see Lindsay actually try to overcome her inability to deal with emotions and grief and actually try to be there for Danny, the way he was for her. On the flip side, it would be nice to see Danny actually confide in Lindsay. They both seem to think the support goes one way, and that's neither healthy not particularly fulfilling in a relationship.

I think when we get to the point where Danny says "I love you," it's not just because there's a baby coming and a) story-wise, he needs to say it and b) he suddenly feels that way because there's a baby coming. Hopefully whatever way Lindsay was supposed to "rescue" him isn't something that's changed, and maybe seeing a non-selfish side of her can open up those feelings for him.

I just hope it unfolds in a way that's realistic, where both people's faults are acknowledged and dealt with. If they're going to grow, I want to see it happen realistically, and that's not just "Danny has to step up to the plate and become good enough for Lindsay!" In my book, Lindsay has a lot of growing up to do, too, and I hope her faults aren't overlooked in the way they seem to have been so far.

I just hope it unfolds in a way that's realistic, where both people's faults are acknowledged and dealt with. If they're going to grow, I want to see it happen realistically, and that's not just "Danny has to step up to the plate and become good enough for Lindsay!" In my book, Lindsay has a lot of growing up to do, too, and I hope her faults aren't overlooked in the way they seem to have been so far.
This. I think the show acknowledges Danny's faults for the most part (they definitely haven't tried to paint him as perfect IMO, but your mileage may vary), but I'm iffy about Lindsay. More than once we've seen little acknowledgment that Lindsay has faults (or they're glossed over quickly). This shouldn't be all about what Danny needs to do to make Lindsay happy, to make their relationship work, etc. It takes two to make a baby, and it takes two to make a relationship work.

My vote is no.

There is simply other ways/people for Lindsay to get pregnant, and there is no need to drag Danny into it. It was clear that their relationship (if there even was one, I mean, we still haven't even gotten factual facts *lol* in the show to determine that they are a "for-sure" couple) was rocky and was going down in the dumps. Now suddenly they're having a baby? I mean, that's just bad, bad timing, story-telling etc. right there.

I voted NO.That's really lame.

PA,i couldn't say it better.We're never sure if they're a couple or not,and most importantly we never really know how Danny really feels about Montanaaa.

In fact,he seems slightly either annoyed or less enthusiastic in some of their scenes together (or maybe it's just me).Having baby is just gonna make it worse.

Not to belabor the point, but to answer melanie33 and a couple of other people is that the thing that bothered me above all about the interactions in season 4 is that she made it all about her, there was nothing indicating concern about Danny, no "I'm concerned about you because of the events of the past few weeks." it was all "You're ignoring me and I won't have you doing that..." So what if he didn't feel like dealing with her in RND, that was his right. IMO, she overreacted and was unnecessarily viscious towards him.

I think that As per usual, everyone will bow down and fawn before the "Awesomeness of Lindsay," and things will be glossed over, and Danny will come crawling back to her, just because he likes the abuse. He'll probably declare his undying love for her, and they'll likely end up getting married eventually.

What I'd like to see from the writers if there has to be a pregnancy, The way they do it is like JellyBelly said was where they are having this child, but they aren't raising him or her as a couple. They're remaining friends, but not getting too deep. Hopefully Lindsay matures somewhat, preferably due to her narcissistic behavior.

Lindsay and Danny can hopefully both move on, and maybe heal from the whole thing. I'm not all that optimistic, though.

Not to belabor the point, but to answer melanie33 and a couple of other people is that the thing that bothered me above all about the interactions in season 4 is that she made it all about her, there was nothing indicating concern about Danny, no "I'm concerned about you because of the events of the past few weeks." it was all "You're ignoring me and I won't have you doing that..." So what if he didn't feel like dealing with her in RND, that was his right. IMO, she overreacted and was unnecessarily viscious towards him.

Agreed. I think the only thing that could make this relationship palatable to me--and I suspect many others--would be for the writers to acknowledge Lindsay's very evident faults. I don't see Danny ever calling her out on them--it's Danny, he seems to expect nothing more than to be mistreated. But I'd love to see Flack or someone else chew her out and tell her she's got to get over herself. And then I'd like to see Lindsay actually behave in an unselfish way because if she's ever to become a good mother, she's going to have to learn that the world doesn't revolve around her and when someone else is hurt or upset, sometimes it's about that person and not how he/she isn't behaving according to Lindsay's standards.

I think that As per usual, everyone will bow down and fawn before the "Awesomeness of Lindsay," and things will be glossed over, and Danny will come crawling back to her, just because he likes the abuse. He'll probably declare his undying love for her, and they'll likely end up getting married eventually.

What I'd like to see from the writers if there has to be a pregnancy, The way they do it is like JellyBelly said was where they are having this child, but they aren't raising him or her as a couple. They're remaining friends, but not getting too deep. Hopefully Lindsay matures somewhat, preferably due to her narcissistic behavior.

Lindsay and Danny can hopefully both move on, and maybe heal from the whole thing. I'm not all that optimistic, though.

I'd prefer to see it handled that way, too, but given that Danny and Lindsay are together in season five, I don't think that's the direction things are headed in.

Back