Paul/Brass: I Got a Coupon #2

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by brassfan24, May 4, 2006.

1. Drumchik

Drumchik Captain

Re: Paul/Brass #2

At least we know that Brass and Sofia are still having fun behind the scenes, and she had to transfer because of their relationship :D

And I hope he stays on. I need my Brass :D

2. redwingsgirl514

redwingsgirl514 Victim

Finally watch Leapin Lizzards...

...the one where there's all these quotes and pics from? (This board, or another one?)
    :lol: My dad kept poking his head around the corner to see what I was cackling about. Ya think he'd eventually learn. ;)

Lori

3. brassfan24

brassfan24 Pathologist

Hey guys, it's been awhile. Anyway, I just saw The Local Stigmatic a short independent film that Paul did about 18 years ago with Al Pacino... I was wondering if anyone else has had the opportunity to check it out?

That aside, I'm pretty sure the film is about dog racing and although I enjoyed it, the plot confused me... I could go into a lot of details but I don't wanna be a spoiler for someone who hasn't seen this little film and wants to do so.

All in all it was very entertaining, as was a British Paul and Al. And seeing two of my favorite actors sharing the screen together is always a treat.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2008
  4. Drakkenfyre

Drakkenfyre Victim

I just watched it about three weeks ago. Wow. Powerful stuff. Now I have the name "Hermosa of Selsdon" stuck in my head!

You know, I think it was a movie about the animalistic desire for dominance, and the dominance plays that occur all the time between people, especially men. There was lots of metaphorical growling and rolling over to expose the belly. And the pack mentality and its viciousness was in there.

I'll try to be spoiler-free, but stop reading now if you don't want to hear anything about the movie.

Ray and Graham are two people who are just so detached from everything. They're not really a part of life as we know it. It's like they're trying to shock themselves into feeling something, anything at all, by doing things like gambling or terrible acts of violence and intimidation or even how they play-act like they are homosexual. But it's all just about digging down far enough to finally feel a real emotion. Did you listen to the commentary track or watch the discussion? Pacino and the film critic said some really deeply insightful things further to all of this.

I feel like I could just write a whole essay on that movie. I highly recommend seeing it, even if parts of it are hard to watch because of the intensity.

Speaking of those new re-releases of Al Pacino movies, did you see Looking for Richard? I had a hard time getting into the first few minutes, but once I did, I thought it was fabulous. A great entrée into the world of Shakespeare. It's very different, but well worth watching, and not just for Paul doing Shakespeare. He plays one of the murderers who went after Clarence. His part is short, but so is everyone's in this movie, and the whole flick is awesome, so see it if you can.

5. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

Here's a couple of caps from CSI with the Brass man and his co-horts in crime:thumbsup:he always makes me laugh with his droll/sarcastic comments

INVISIBLE EVIDENCE

ABRTI

6. Drakkenfyre

Drakkenfyre Victim

Nice pics. :)

Speaking of droll/sarcastic comments, I just watched the teaser from 4 x 4. Brass and Grissom were looking at the crushed Fiero, when Brass said, "Yeah, the old Fiero. Kind of makes you nostalgic for a 'members only' jacket."

I nearly fell off my chair laughing. The deadpan delivery was perfect. Maybe it's because we've all escaped the 80s that I can look back and laugh.

7. beaujolais

beaujolais Lab Technician

I've had The Local Stigmatic for a while now and have yet to watch it. Same for the movie, September. I seem to be saving them for the right viewing moment but I'm not sure when that is. I need to get over it and watch both of these.

Just the other day I saw a Fiero and Brass's comment immediately came to mind. It's probably the best line from that episode.

8. CSI_LV_AF

CSI_LV_AF Witness

Yeah, I agree that is a great line from 4x4, but my personal favorite is later when he is talking to the wannabe-g and right before the dude gets put into the cop car, Brass stops him, listens to what the guy has to say and then "Aight, one cent."

Expanding on the 80s comment, I love how he mentions the members only jacket, but then my little mind wanders to thinking (and not being able to wrap my little mind around it) about Paul's blonde hair in the 80s. Still can't get over that one sometimes.

9. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

I watched that too, and laughed again.:lol:. great line, but it's his delivery that's the key:bolian: not eveyone can do it the way he does, he's for sure one of a kind! it'll be great to see him in S/9 and with his expertise getting the goods on that rat McKeen! can't wait for those lines!!!

10. beaujolais

Yes, the blond 80's hair was very hit or miss, especially that spikey mullet he was sporting in a couple of movies/TV shows.

And I forgot about his "aiight, one cent" comment in 4x4. Definitely classic Brass.

11. Gravity

Gravity Witness

I love the character Brass :D When CSI first started I was like hmmm, but the writers have given him so many great lines, bit of sarcasm and I love sarcasm :D Can't imagine him not being on CSI, he i.m.o. is one of those puzzle pieces that make CSI complete :)

12. Drakkenfyre

Drakkenfyre Victim

Oh yeah, what a great line. And I love the understated way in which he delivers those lines. Not in a self-congratulatory, I-made-a-funny way, but in a let-the-chips-fall-where-they-may kind of way. That makes it about ten times funnier.

You know, I've been going back and watching the DVDs of the first half of the first season, after a long hiatus of not watching CSI at all. Now I've learned not to put too much stock in pilots (or else I never would have watched Babylon 5 and no one would have watched Star Trek: The Next Generation but me), so I understand that the characters are not in their final forms. But to this day I don't understand why Brass was so hard on Gribbs and why Grissom was complicit in it.

However, if viewed as a character arc that brought Brass from someone who is miserable behind a desk but ambitious enough to understand that that's where he has to be to advance, to someone who has blown his chance and is now back in the place that makes him happy, while having been taught maybe a lesson in humility along the way, then it might kind of make sense. I don't know. Thoughts?

13. beaujolais

I always thought that Brass was being intentionally tough on her to see if she could cut it and Grissom went along with it because while he might not have agreed with the way Brass went about it, he agreed with the idea behind it.

I do know that PG didn't like Pilot Brass and it was his idea to change him. Based on an interview he did, I get the impression he's the one who went to the writers and suggested they use Gribb's death as a catalyst to change Brass. If that's the case, it does make sense.

Btw, Drakkenfyre, if you haven't checked out the Jim Brass fansite yet, you should. It's all PG/Brass, all the time.

14. CSI_LV_AF

CSI_LV_AF Witness

The best thing PG ever did was change his character from the Pilot. I'm glad the writers listened to him too. I'll admit, I hated Brass at the beginning (who didn't?!), he had such a rotten disposition. But what a wonderful 180 he pulled. Still flawed, but oh-so-wonderful!

Funny thing, bringing up how PG had to do with changing Brass...I watched Hollywood Brass tonight and still laugh every time when he goes to the Beverly Hills Gun Club...Knowing darn well that PG might have something to do with that being he was in Beverly Hills Cop II and guess where part of the movie takes place? Even though in the movie he doesn't actually go there, but still.

He may not have had anything to do with HB, but I like to think he pitched that idea to the writers...

15. Drakkenfyre

Drakkenfyre Victim

It's a very common thing IRL and it's a very human thing, but I don't think I'll ever understand it. My SO explained it in the context of the military, that you want to know that the person in the tank with you isn't going to break down into a puddle of whimpering goo when the shells start flying overhead. Still, in this context it will probably just always be a mystery to me.

Oh, how my little heart flutters at character arcs! :D

You know, I've ghosted there a bit, but I didn't realize until today when, because of your suggestion, I went and took a look. Great threads there! Of course, I'm happy when this thread is popular, too. :)