Death Penalty? What's your opinion?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by CSI3, Jun 5, 2005.

1. Palm

Palm Coroner

I'm all for the death penalty...
    I mean, if you threw a serial killer in prison for 25 years, he will eventually get out. Maybe even earlier if he had a partner. And even when they get out, who says that prison changes a person.
    Sometimes prison helps people learn to manipulate the system. When you go in to a psycatrict evaluation, who says that the prisoner won't lie, won't do anything to be deemed ready for society just so they can get back out and pose as a symbol of fear to people.
    I mean, Karla Holmolka was pointed out that many times during her times with the psychiatrist, she lied and manipulated the person. And I'm sure that others have done it too. With the state that the prisoners live in in their jails, wouldn't they try to do anything to get out? Even act?
    Placing the death penalty on some might be the only way to relax some people's fears. I mean, who really likes hearing over and over on the news about all these murderers getting away? With the death penalty, it sort of provides a small amount of hope for some individuals who's lives are in fear because the media floods their stations with Terriost actions, Homicides, and various other depressing aspects of life.

But that's just my worthless opinion...

2. VManso

VManso CSI Level Two

From one Witness to another, Palm, you're opinion is far from worthless. You just pointed out one of the major illnesses of our medico-legal system whose social physician
    wants nothing more than to kill the social body. Sometimes the physician is sicker than the patient.

3. madgeorge

madgeorge Coroner

Karla Homolka should NEVER have been released. There is NO question about that. Frankly I don't give a sh*t if someone feels differently and is offended by this, but Karla is a child rapist and murderer. She is a WORTHLESS human being and should be rotting in a hole-in-the-wall jail cell right now. Anyone who agrees with her being released is insane. If your child had been raped and murdered, would you want the person responsible to be released? NO. Karla says that she isn't a danger, but she is manipulative, this has been proven. Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if a teenage girl turns up dead in Quebec now that her restrictions are removed. It wouldn't shock me at all.

Karla is an example of what a sick freak really is. The fact that she was released is a reflection of everything wrong with our justice system. We, in Canada, pride ourselves on being a good and just people, but then we do something as stupid as release a convicted rapist and murderer back int society, and then we remove all the conditions of the release, so that they are allowed to be around children again. This is sick. Karla is sick, and doesn't deserve to see the light of day.

4. VManso

VManso CSI Level Two

Then it appears that the Canadian system of justice, which is a variation of the British, needs a serious revamping.

5. Palm

Palm Coroner

Thank you VManso, and it is quite true. It may not apply to all physicians, I mean, some can tell when a person is being manipulative, but others judgements aren't that great.

And you raise a good point Madgeorge. I mean, She is not deemed to be in Society. I think there is an extent that the Death Penalty should be used. Like, Karla and Paul should have been executed because they do show no remorse to the children they killed. And I mean, they are a classic example of serial killers. Their consciousness is practically non-existant and they pose a threat to people living in society.
    But I think it should be used more in moderation. Like, Charles Manson, Karla and Paul (obviously), Mary Bell, they are a threat to people and a basic symbol of fear. They should have been given the death penalty, because releasing them into the public doesn't mean their 'fit for Living peacefully'. It just means their time has been served and now the government can place another convict in their old place. Or that their psychiatrist has 'deemed them harmless' which isn't always the case.
    But it shouldn't be used for everything like Vehicular Manslaughter or First degree murder. Those types of crimes should be sentenced to life without parole, and even after, if the public demands, a longer sentence.
    I mean, people shouldn't live in fear 24/7 because a notorious killer was released. That's just not right.

6. tinyspark

tinyspark Lab Technician

madgeorge, I agree. She and Paul Bernardo were just plain evil.

The Canadian justice system was grossly, grossly misused in this case. She spent 12 years in prison and gets to live a new life in Quebec. It's totally sick. She helped rape and kill her own sister, not to mention those poor other girls. I was 14 when that happened and it still makes me want to vomit. In

In some cases, Canada is too passive. I think everybody involved in getting her that plea bargain should be given life in prison.

And let's not forget Alain Legere. He's rotting away in prison somewhere and wasting taxpayers money. Blech.

7. VManso

VManso CSI Level Two

So true, Palm, so true. And the media shouldn't be their accomplices!

8. kinkapoodles

kinkapoodles Judge

Frankly, it's never gonna end. Criminals are criminals and there will always be criminals no matter what is done. And what better way to make them pay for their crimes than to turn the tables on them. Let them feel what their victims felt. Lethal injection is a too peaceful way to go for these criminals.

You have your opinions and I have mine. This is just the way I feel. I'm not talking about someone "accused" of a crime. I am talking about the criminals who have been found guilty with rock solid evidence. I don't know why they put people on death row when they only have circumstantial evidence.

And by the way....there is a case right now in Florida where a mechanic raped and killed an 11 year old girl and her mother said she hopes the killer is put to death soon and that she will have peace when like her daughter, he is no longer breathing.

I don't see the point in life in prison for these criminals. They commited very brutal crimes and if they can do stuff like that, there was already something wrong with them and giving them life in prison is not gonna bother them one bit. They feel nothing about the crimes they committed. They are sick people who enjoy what they do. Jail is not gonna change them unless one of their fellow inmates take them out.

It's a very touchy subject and we all have strong views on it.

9. Palm

Palm Coroner

^ No kidding! I actually heard somewhere that the media, like the news, is all about ratings too. Taht's why you rarely hear of those nice things like "People flood to new Orleans and ban together to save the leftover animals" or "The weather in Seattle was so nice, that it broke the previous record". Their more concerned about "Homicide unsolved. Police still looking." and "Teen killed at house party; was his 18th birthday."
    The things that make people almost afraid to go out into the street. But it buys newspapers. And it makes for ratings. Which is terrible.

And yeah, the Canadian Judicial System is way to leniant. I mean, I do remember some time back that this drunk driver killed an 83 year old woman crossing the street. What did he get? 6 months in jail. The guy who was killed because he was trying to stop a couple of teens from stealing gas from his store? Never even caught his killers. It went down to a cold case.That serial killer in Edmonton? Only recently they released that yes, there was one. He's been comminting crimes since 20 years back. I know, because one of the bodies was dumped near my house.

I don't think our Judges in the Supreme Court really comprehend on what goes on. They only deal with crimes that are at a level of risk to other citizens, like Serial Killers or Gangs. They don't seem to understand that no matter how little the crime, it still needs to be put to justice.
    The Death penalty would be a good thing to have up here and tougher sentences...

10. Palm

Palm Coroner

I heard about that... It was in the paper for quite the while.
    But you do raise a very interesting point 1CSIMfan. I mean, there are two different views on this subject and each one does raise very good argumental and honest points.
    And yeah, your right, it is a very sensitive issue..

11. VManso

VManso CSI Level Two

Back in Provincetown, Massachusetts, in 1974, there was a case of matricide--The victim was Helen Janard, the perp was her son--- he stabbed her to death several times--

12. Palm

Palm Coroner

Now that is just weirdly disturbing. The fact that he did that... *shudder*
    People seriously often do some of the most questionable things...

13. VManso

VManso CSI Level Two

The victim was slightly disturbed but her son was worse than she was . There was a possibility that she drove the son to it. The victim and her brother hadn't spoke with to each other for a long time.

14. Guest

Guest Guest

I agree with the death penalty in theory but not in practice.

If someone commits a crime with solid evidence against them, they should sit in jail and suffer for what they did. Not that they will. If it's heineous enough, then yes they should die on the spot by the same manner of crime they committed. The sad truth is that the justice system over the years has gone to the dogs. Criminals may be locked up but they're living way better than the average Joe could ever dream of doing so themselves. Life (or whatever term) sentence doesn't mean life. No one serves the full term that they're issued, because more often than not, they're given parole years beforehand. Makes no sense whatsoever. Then when one of them commits the same or similar crime later then the public bitches about that the justice system isn't doing their jobs. No sh*t, Sherlock.

Not that I want to go back to Puritan times (I don't) or anywhere in the vicinity but for the most part back in the old days (I'm thinking late 1800s as the most recent in history) people got the job done when it called for it, even if they did sometimes have issues with solid evidence vs hearsay or extreme religious beliefs that may have clouded their judgement. Back then no one waited for months and years of pointless trials. So why do we have them now when they obviously don't work?

I don't factor religion into this, but it is true that the Bible tells how one is to condemn a criminal. And again, although they were a bit on the extreme side given the living conditions of that time, I think it's still better in theory than the insanely lax treatment that criminals are given today. To me, it makes absolutely no sense for someone to "rot in jail" when they're living better than anyone else first of all. And secondly, you commit a crime, you shouldn't walk at any point.

Something like self-defense, if it is truly self-defense, is different and doesn't deserve the death penalty. Say you're an abused wife/girlfriend/whatever. You put up with this crap for however long before you finally snap. You kill your abuser in self-defense but the jury calls you out as a murderer. I truly don't get that. Yes it's killing someone justifiably but it's not like you're a Jeffrey Dahmer wannabe who does this just to get your rocks off.

They also need to have much stricter and more apathetic psychiatrists, psychologists, doctors, etc who are presiding over these criminals. The ones there now are simply telling them that there's little or nothing wrong with them other than they're slightly twisted and a couple treatments will change them for the better. That couldn't be further from the truth since a large number of these "patients" are so beyond help they're not even on the scale anymore.

I also agree that the families of the victims need closure by having the criminal in question put under whatever method of death is deemed most appropriate. I have a friend whose mother was murdered and she and her husband and their children suffered immensely emotionally because even with evidence against him, this guy merely got a slap on the wrist and went along his merry way.

How to successfully accomplish all this when the current justice system is a classic case of FUBAR is something else entirely. And today's generations may or may not ever see it.

Just my two cents.

15. VManso

VManso CSI Level Two

Please translate FUBAR.