"Redrum" Discussion **Spoilers**

allmaple said:
its a show, it was written that way to be interesting, create controversy, and hopefully set up long term consequences. mission accomplished.

If the long term consequences are on Catherine, then and only then will I consider it mission accomplished. She's a lousy supervisor; always has been in my book. But then we've seen Catherine do very questionable things in the past in order to solve a case, and with no admonishment whatsoever, so I doubt that this one will come back to bite her on her very toned butt.

On that note. here's a a couple of letters about her in the latest TV Guide.. she's, I guess not popular with everyone from past eps.

YOU TELL US

Catherine The Great?
CSI's Catherine needs to be fired!! How many laws has she broken? How many people has she stomped on or disregarded? And now she flashes her bra while attempting to lure a man into telling her what she wants? Victoria..Thousand Oaks, CA.

I amuses me to think that you'll probably get more hate mail about Grissom telling Sara goodbye from three feet away than Cath giving a "perp" a psskaboo in exchange for a confession..Sarah ********, Vancover,

If showing Catherine's breasts were supposed to win back the audience, I think CSI, just cut itself off at the knees. Give us Grissom and Sara kissing, give us Warrick with proper screen time, but please, please, stop giving us Catherine the middle-aged sex goddess..Victoria.. Westlake Village, CA. OUCH!!!

Only posting these here, because it does relate to Cath, and her antics, and not everyone is thrilled!!!this iS NOT my opinion

This is just to reiterate , that in no way was I personally attacking the character Catherine. I think she rocks :eek:, and was extremly impressed by her performance in "BTK2" sensantional, she's a great actress,was just commenting with this TV Guide lettes due to the post above me!! on some things she's done in past episodes that were in a way relating to the ep 'REDRUM"

Edited: To remove the first persons last name, what they willingly submit to tvguide is on them, what is copied here, is another.

Hehehe...oh wells it doesn't bother me...just opinions. Catherine tends to take a lot of heat regardless of what she does. I still like the character a bunch.

But isn't that post kind of getting off topic? :p

desertwind said:
Only posting these here, because it does relate to Cath, and her antics, and not everyone is thrilled!!!this iS NOT my opinion ;)

Sorry, I'm biting my tongue on a real reply for this and those letters (because taking a look at the names of those who wrote the letters is enough to make me chuckle *can anyone say GSR?*) I just don't believe those letters are relevant enough to be in this discussion thread for the Redrum episode. Especially since those aren't YOUR opinions.

Only posting these here, because it does relate to Cath, and her antics, and not everyone is thrilled!!!this iS NOT my opinion

No, they do not relate to her actions and antics. Those are on totally separate episodes/occasions (which I honestly dont agree with those letters, they're a bunch of bull). This episode is "Redrum." Not "Leaving Las Vegas" or "Built to Kill" which the photo and the letters are describing to.

Catherine did what she did and they caught the killer.

It's kind of weird, though... A lot of people here are saying that Catherine broke laws and did this-and-that, and you have to remember that, even if it is just a show and not all these tactics are necessarily what real cops or CSI would have used, there are people in law enforcement who have compromised the integrity of the team and done something behind someone else's back. There are those who have broken laws. Now, I'm not maligning law enforcement or the people in it; however, it does happen, whether we want to believe it or not. In a way, this does mirror real life. Of course, it shouldn't be done, but it happens. So, when I read all this stuff, I start to think, "Well, I know it's just a show, but there really are worse things that have been and could be done." I know forensics is also very detail-oriented, so my saying that probably wouldn't make a lot of sense, but I'm sure it could happen, and probably has. I'm sure a lot of you won't deny that.

And I think I further embarrassed myself... *lol*

That being said, it looks like Catherine's persona non grata for while.

Well, I just watched it for the first time.

I watched the entire thing but my brain kinda tuned out about half-way through. I don't know what it was, but that has to be the worst episode of the three CSIs I've seen. At least the others have come somewhat engaged.

The murder of the lawyer was so obviously connected to the other from the start and then you knew who the murderer was, the motive and all they had to do was find him.

I expect more..........can't wait to see what's in that box on Grissom's desk. Perhaps it would be spooky if it was a recreation of the staged crime scene. That would be good.

Dementia said:
It's kind of weird, though... A lot of people here are saying that Catherine broke laws and did this-and-that, and you have to remember that, even if it is just a show and not all these tactics are necessarily what real cops or CSI would have used, there are people in law enforcement who have compromised the integrity of the team and done something behind someone else's back. There are those who have broken laws. Now, I'm not maligning law enforcement or the people in it; however, it does happen, whether we want to believe it or not. In a way, this does mirror real life. Of course, it shouldn't be done, but it happens. So, when I read all this stuff, I start to think, "Well, I know it's just a show, but there really are worse things that have been and could be done." I know forensics is also very detail-oriented, so my saying that probably wouldn't make a lot of sense, but I'm sure it could happen, and probably has. I'm sure a lot of you won't deny that.

And I think I further embarrassed myself... *lol*

That being said, it looks like Catherine's persona non grata for while.

there are police who break laws, but catherine didn't break any laws...this was set up by the police department, it unethical, but not illegal.

I just have one thought after reading all this and still haven't watched the full ep. If Keppler, Catherine and the under sheriff didn't want the rest of the team knowing, then why in the heck weren't they just told due to the high profile tptb want it kept low key.

Well, while I knocked how childish they were in their attempts to "conceal" the whole thing (the very obvious "I can't talk about it", etc.) I think it is true to life. People do or say things to keep it from others in less-than-smart ways, and it was likely just Catherine's conscience getting in the way of logic.

Because Brass and Keppler didn't seem to mind just sort of shrugging.

Catherine did what she did and they caught the killer.

And, as has already been said, if she had not been usurped by the team, she would've lost him and he would have forever been off the hook. The only reason they caught him was for another murder because he couldn't be tried for the first again.

I just went back and watched the beginning and I feel sooo dumb. They gave us a clue in the first 30 seconds that the two crimes were linked together and I missed it. It was so apparent I'll bet I'm the only one who didn't get it the first time around.

When the dude tears up the picture and you see Nick photograph it you can clearly see the lawyers tatoo in the picture.

I should have so got that before Nick did!

Oh well I wouldn't make a good CSI. Aparently I'm not that observent.

Peace out!

Re: Tv Guide post, I have to agree that while it was used as an example of other opinions of past eps, it was not the opinion of the poster and was not really relevent in this thread in that sense.

RE: reaction to TVGuide post:
What I am going to say is if you have a problem with a post keep in mind there is a NM (notify moderator) button, there is Pming, what we do not care for is anyone telling others what they can and can not post, if you do not like it that is your opinion, patiently, and respectfully disagree with it. Stating something is off topic is one thing, saying it doesn't belong here is another and again is our job to determine. Back seat moderating won't be tolerated and is not allowed on this site, now that might not have been anyones intentions but the road is always paved with them be it well or not.

Correct this is "Redrum" and not [insert ep names] but lets keep in mind that other eps have been introduced into this thread be it as examples, but still the same, so if the case came to it then alot of people would have to retract including myself.

Now lets move on as some have already started to do, I wanted to address this before it got out of hand.

xfcanadian said:

there are police who break laws, but catherine didn't break any laws...this was set up by the police department, it unethical, but not illegal.

Oh, know that about this episode. I just meant the references to ones before.

For all the folks saying Grissom wouldn't have done this because he is a paragon of virtue........Please remember, he's involved in a 'secret affair' with his subordinate. Sorry, but that's generally considered unethical behavior.
As far as this goes, this is absolutely true. Grissom's no saint, and when it came down to ethics vs. love, love won out. But that said, ethics vs. love and ethics vs. politics/promotions are two different kettles of fish. From past experience with Grissom's commitment to the evidence and similar situations to this (i.e. "Strip Strangler), I think we could make a solid case that Grissom would not have gone along with this scheme even if it meant a suspension. But you're right in that it's not because he's perfect.

Baba, thanks for the shout-out to my posts - I really do work hard to make them say what I want them to say. And just to let you know, I tried your suggestion... and you're right! It's hilarious!

What about Sara, though? How does Sara get repaid for helping Catherine investiagte her assumed rape?

No one has ever said Grissom was a saint either, and it's been proven again and again. But the difference between him sleeping with a co-worker and her playing with all of their jobs at the lab's reputation should be rather clear.

And if the possible sexual harassment, or "workplace discomfort" card is going to be played, what about when Greg tried to ask out Sara? Or David?

What about when Catherine told Warrick she liked him?

Weren't those sexual harassments? Couldn't those have caused unease in the workplace and questioned their morals?

kaylyne said:
The thing is, they were the ones that needed to trust Catherine this time around - that she knew what had to be done - and they were the ones that broke that trust. They were pissed that they were being shut out of things, but where was their trust in her?

I was thinking the same thing!!! I’m not saying it’s absurd for the team to be a bit upset but there isn’t much justification for their being this upset. I would thank that if they were going to use this “reverse” thingy, preventing leaks would be paramount and that the rest of the team would be smart enough and understanding enough to handle Catherine, Keppler, Brass and the Sherriff guys position.

Back