Carmine Giovinazzo Discussion: The Non-Locker Room Thread

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by MrsGiovinazzo, Dec 28, 2006.

1. MrsGiovinazzo

MrsGiovinazzo CSI Level Three

Re: Carmine Giovinazzo Discussion: The Non-Locker Room Threa

The Lying Game. Sorry, many of you may have to wait months for that. Danny was cute though.
    Danny's romantic scenes with Lindsey are the only part of Carmine's work on the show that feels awkward and unnatural. In terms of improving those moments, the only thing I can thing of is that Carmine needs to work that method acting to it's fullest. Look at Anna and see someone completely different. Angelina Jolie, or whoever does it for him. Though I think part of the problem lies with Anna. She's just not that strong an actress, nor is she attractive enough that we'd buy Danny chasing her. Danny chasing Angell? Sure. I'd buy that. Danny chasing Lindsey? Nope. Not gonna convince me without some genuinely stellar acting. And I think it's unfortunate that the writers have chosen to ram a forced storyline down the viewers throats, when it's not a situation in which either actor shines.

I feel badly for him there as well. In interviews he seems to really embrace those storylines regarding Danny's backstory or non-romantic relationships with his colleagues, while he seems to dodge the question a little when the romance with Lindsey comes up. It's clear he prefers Danny's other storylines and, and as a viewer, I'd rather watch something the actor is passionate about and fully committed to. He doesn't feel totally sold on the Lindsey thing, so it makes it hard for us to feel sold on it.
    I'll get my ass up off the couch and applaud him if I ever see anything resembling chemistry between those characters. An Emmy would absolutely be in order! The cards are stacked against him -- bad writing, not great co-star. I'm something of a fatalist. Chemistry on-screen, as in real life, is either there or it's not. Props to anyone who can believably fake it.

2. crankyjules

crankyjules Police Officer

That is so true. That SUCKS big time. If this is where they are focusing story lines for Danny, God help his character. And the show.

No matter how much he busts a gut and steps up to the plate to this, chemistry takes two. No matter how deftly he is able to act it, it's not going to show terribly well because, well, the other side of the chemical equation just isn't happening. It's an impossible situation.

What demographic are TPTB trying to sell this show too? I'm really sorry to say this - but have a look at the average age group who are violently opposed to this. And before anyone gets their undies in a tangle ... notice I said average age group ... there will always be exceptions. The highschool-like romance angle is childish beyond belief. If people want to see that ... go watch the OC.

It bothers me that here we have a damn fine dramatic actor, being called to use his God given talent to do what? I'm with you, Tops, I'm awfully afraid this might be the entirity of any character 'develolpment' we get for Danny this season. I bloody well hope not. I pray not.

I'm really really disappointed in the people that are writing this in. They are forcing something extremely unnatural. What started out as a gritty NY crime drama in in danger of turning into a a sexed up, ridiculous soapy farce.

They are certainly in danger of robbing Danny's character of any, argh I've lost the word. I don't work well in the mornings :lol: started with d. anyway. Please send coffee :D

I'm sorry. I could rant for ever and ever on this. I see CBS [censored]ing this show up royally. And that makes me livid.

Already, sadly, my interest is waning. :(

3. MrsGiovinazzo

MrsGiovinazzo CSI Level Three

Balls, that's the word - I think. They're robbing Danny of his balls. He's turning into some pathetic puppy dog chasing after some dull as a troll little country girl. The 14 year old girls are falling for this crap hook, line and sinker. But seriously, it is booooring to watch. If I wanted poorly written romance, I'd fire up some Dawson's Creek or Beverly Hills 90210 DVDs (not really a fair comparison, those were both good shows :lol:).

Right there with you. Could rant forever myself. It's Danny's character that drew me to the show and the further the character is diluted, the less interested I am. I do enjoy that New York goes further into the character development than either Miami or Las Vegas do, but I really dislike the soap opera spin the Danny / Lindsey relationship has been given. If a relationship naturally develops between two characters in the course of working together, fantastic. That can be there in the background, but shouldn't be a focal point in a crime drama.

4. crankyjules

Nope, that's not the word I was thinking of. It's not even the thought I was thinking of. I HATE it when this happens. You know the word that comes into my mind when I try and force myself to find it??? 'Detrius'. WTF is that about?? :lol: :lol: It will come late tonight, when I am trying to sleep, what's the bet. :rolleyes:

*crankyjules high-fives MrsG.. Right on. The 14 year olds don't find it boring though. This is what puzzles me ... who are they writing this schmaltzy crud FOR??

OOO you just saved your arse. I was about to yell 'hey, watch it lady!' I was a big fan of 90210 back when :lol: But then, I also colllect 'pony' books (books about girls and their ponies written from the 1930's to the 60's, usually English), so that tells you a litte about my maturity levels :D

Yeah. What she said :D :lol:

5. seeker

seeker Hit and Run

I watch the CSI shows because it beats watching Forensic Files on CourtTV--the cases were great and then at some point I started paying attention to the characters.

For me Vegas is all bright lights, Miami's the sunny beaches and NY is the murky dark sewers--I mean that in a GOOD way...But I've been noticing that all three franchise has been on a spiralling journey into turmoil because of the writing...

Take for instance this D/L plot--I must admit that I am a D/L fan--I'm a schmuck for romance, but crap--I was expecting ANGST not silly juvenile drama worthy of an ABC afternoon special...and believe me, with the way the writers are handling it--I'm NOT going to be a fan of this pair anymore...I was expecting a "kick-you-in-the-balls-hate-'em-but-gotta-love-'em" type of romance--what they're doing is taking the "city guy falling hard for the country girl" cliche and making it worst! Take note writers--there's a reason it's called a "cliche", people don't buy it anymore...

Danny's character HAD (I intentionally used the past tense) been well developed--now if they wanted to add a romantic angle to the brilliant prism of Detective Daniel Messer--then by all means, don't let me stop them! But ANGST is what made CSI:NY distinct from the other CSI shows--they should embrace it, it's the roots of the show and it's ALWAYS advisable to go back to the basics!

I'm sure that Carmine will be able to handle whatever the writers dish out--even if it is unpalatable...but it's sad to see such fine acting ability crash and burn because of a weak script/plot. Now, if Carmine is able to turn this sorry handling of the 'romantic' side of Messer into something fantastic and make it more believable--then the guy DOES deserve an Emmy--hell he deserves TWO, (one for brilliant acting even with a bad script and another for effort above and beyond that of an actor with a sorry plot) for that matter...oops, wrong thread--my bad.

argh! I still haven't found "Fallen Arches" in Blockbusters and I've been waiting for it over at NetFlix--but it has NOT come--it's been a month--so ladies, cough it up, there ARE others who'd wanna watch it, y'know! :p

6. ThumpyG

ThumpyG Coroner

Emasculate, is that the word I am looking for here in what the writers have done to Carmine's character, Danny?

They have taken a virile,rough around the edges kind of guy and taken his manhood and squashed it, making him this sniviling (spelling?) weepy guy who chases after a psycho "Why her" broken record who even a murderer thinks is a little loopy country-bumpkin. -Who doesn't even have the balls to tell Danny goodbye in person. (wow, that was kind of harsh, huh?)

His manhood needs to be returned in the original condition it was taken. :lol:

7. Orison

Orison CSI Level Two

Exactly. What's the point of dressing him with those tight, sexy shirts if everything else is missing and all we're looking forward to is this lame storyline?

I'm definitely disappointed by this latest 'development'. That, and I still can't believe Lindsay really wrote about cows in that note... *headdesk*

8. CarmineFan

CarmineFan Lab Technician

Oh yes, we have to wait. Next monday we'll have "Charge of this post" and than they will repeat the second season :(

9. crankyjules

You know what? I think TPTB have decided FOR US that is all we really want to see, that THAT is all we care about. Based on all the squee about 'Danny in a Tank Top' in Trapped, and 'Danny Shirtless' in Mrs Azrael or whatever it was.

But then ... could you have any idea how many people come to my blog after searching for 'Carmine Giovinazzo shirtless' or 'Danny and Lindsay'??? I want to hire Rambo Stella, hand her a semi-automatic, position her at the entrance to my blog and listen to it go 'hehhehhehhehhehhehheh'.

Please, credit SOME of us with some maturity and intelligence :rolleyes: We're not all drooling squeeing dreamers. THIS is what has been making me pissy over the last few days, in case anyone hasn't notest yet (as if :D :D)

10. Springmoon

Springmoon CSI Level Two

Here's the problem: we've been seeing that there has been a problem with Danny's character development all season long and there have been only mere sparks of the former depth that the character was given. Much like their uneven development of Danny, the writers are severely underestimating the intelligence of the average fan.

Of course, when we see someone that is attractive take off his shirt we're going to think that, if we died at that moment, we would die happy. But there was also some discussion about the crappy timing of that scene where the shirt thing took away from the powerful scene we were given with Hawkes.

So it comes down to volume, and I'm talking noise as well as numbers. If all they're hearing is deafening squees and not well-thought out responses to episodes, then we're going to continue to have the emasculation of a formerly fantastic character, more of the same development of a relationship that I wouldn't have touched with a ten-foot pole in college, and crappy writing.

I too am losing interest in this show. You know, when I go on vacation I'm less concerned at missing new episodes than I am about interacting with you ladies? How sad is that? I used to pass up going out on Wednesday nights to watch this show!!

11. lookaboomerang

lookaboomerang Coroner

Ok, thank goodness it isn't just me. :( I thought I was being maybe too demanding in what I expect from this show. Maybe it's because I know that they can do better and we've seen better. It's just very stale and boring to me lately. I sit there and literally tick down the minutes till it's over. It's not the actors, it's mostly the stories and dialogue they're giving them to work with. The awesome episodes are few and far between this season, and I'm slowly finding myself less interested with what's going to happen on Wednesday. It's sad, because this is one of my favorite shows and really, the ONLY one I watch like it's my religion every week.

12. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

So much good stuff to reply to in here, so forgive the long post and the lack of any order. :lol: I'm not losing interest in this season, but the last two eps have been kind of blah and I agree with many of you that Danny's character is going downhill. Whereas the last two seasons, we saw great development for him, this year it's all the romantic claptrap between him and Lindsay. Save for the episode where he helped Hawkes, he's had no development whatsoever outside the romance stuff with Lindsay. Even if I thought it was the best romance ever, I'd still be mad that there's nothing else going on with his character.

That's part of the problem. As good as Carmine is, when it's a romantic storyline, you're only as good as the person you're playing off of. Anna is mediocre at best, and a lot worse than that when trying to emotional scenes.

18-34 is the ideal target demographic. They're young, and tend to be the biggest spenders (thinking of advertising here). From what I can tell from the board, the Danny/Lindsay pairing tends to skew about 14-22 (average--I know there are some older who like it, and some younger who hate it), so at the lower end of the target range.

Believability has been my second biggest issue with this pairing (after lack of chemistry). Did I buy Danny and Aiden? Hell yeah. Same with Danny and Angell, or Danny and Stella. I even bought Danny and Lindsay when it was clear she was the one with the crush and Danny seemed a little clueless. When she was light and funny I almost believed he'd like her back based on personality. But in the real world, guys who look like Danny don't go for Plain Janes like Lindsay. :lol: If she was awesome and sweet...maybe, but when she turned into a shrill banshee and started blowing him off, the storyline lost all credibility with me. I can see why Carmine would wonder why Danny is chasing after Lindsay when he's got the likes of Nixon Suicide, the hot dominatrix chick and Angell interested in him. Real, sexual, passionate women vs. a plain, boring, unpleasant girl from Montana? I don't get it either. :lol:

Exactly--I don't blame him. Danny had the best development of any character on the show, and now he's stuck in this poorly written, cliched romantic storyline. I'd be sad, too.

Yes, please! He looks like a wimp for putting up with the shit Lindsay dishes out. He was tougher when he was crying on Mac's shoulder about his brother than he was when he called out to Lindsay "If there's anything you need..." as she was walking away and oh yeah, not looking back. I winced during that scene.

Danny didn't become the show's most popular character because he's hot. Sorry, based on the purely physical, Flack and Hawkes are much more classically attractive. Danny became the most popular character because he's flawed, intense, passionate and impulsive. The audience could relate to him, and sympathize with him. He was always interesting to watch. Not any more. If the romance with Lindsay were better written, it could be interesting. But it's not--we've seen every cliche in the book this season. It's a disservice to the character and the show to subject the audience to this nonsense.

While I'm not a fan of the pairing, I was on the fence about it midway through season two, and if things had continued along the path set out by "Stuck on You" and "Cool Hunter," I might have really become a fan of it. I bought it when she was pursuing him and he was trying to figure out what was going on. I was actually warming to her character when she seemed like she had some spunk to her. But season three has been nothing but unbelievable cliches for the two, and it's become by-the-book romance. I've seen this, time and again, on other shows when the actors actually had the chemistry to sell it, and the stories fleshed out the cliche to make it feel less like a "been there, done this" kind of thing. Opposites attract can work, but it has to be believable and there has to be chemistry.

13. crankyjules

really good post Springmoon.

Here here!!

The guys who did the commentary on 'Trapped' in the Season 2 dvd's really bothered me when they said "when you look at the message boards all they could talk about was 'Danny in a tank top'". BULLdust. Maybe it's some other board they are reading (ahem), but not here, the main board for the CSI shows.

Are you saying we're in a minority? :( Ah no, that makes me want to cry. In pure frustration that anything we say will fall on deaf ears.

Alright, now this is plain scary. I thought it was just me, and the fact is there are a few of us feeling this way. That really IS scary. :eek:

14. Orison

Orison CSI Level Two

^ It is. And it kinda bugs me because I'm still fairly new to the show (though I caught up very quickly... :D). I hate to find something I really like and then realize it's going downhill fast.

15. Lonia

Lonia Witness

To read this scares me too. I haven't seen the episodes of season three yet, so I can't say anything to the storylines myself. But it troubles me a bit (or in fact even more than a bit) to read such a lot of negative things about the development. I really wouldn't like to find out that - after a few episodes of season three - my favourite show isn't my favourite show anymore. Or worse, if i even couldn't find it "on the list" of my favourite shows anymore! :(