How do you feel about Lindsay?

I agree. No one is bringing up Aiden in their posts criticizing Lindsay. I don't know why that keeps being brought up as a reason why people dislike Lindsay/Anna.

AlyssaluvsDanny said:
I have to disagree with what you said, Top.
Exactly--by the halfway through the first season of CSI: NY, the other characters were already established and clearly past any growing pains they experienced in the first few episodes with their roles.

From a real[ critic, he said this about the characters, and mainly, Vanessa: but Sinise's sidekick here is as close to a female leader as the series has come to date. Stella Bonasera (Providence's Melina Kanakaredes) is a smart, powerful woman who isn't afraid to get her hands dirty and has a subtle, exotic look that makes it difficult to turn away when she's onscreen. The rest of the cast is excellent as well, with special mention going to Hill Harper as the coroner, Dr. Sheldon Hawkes, and Carmine Giovinazzo as Danny Messer. Eddie Cahill is also solid as Detective Don Flack Jr., but the only person I just couldn't wrap my arms around was Vanessa Ferlito's character, Aiden Burn. Ferlito is gorgeous and does all that she can with the role, but it's underwritten and needs to be developed a bit more in future seasons.

And I don't understand, after every episode, you complain. Just stop watching. She is now a main character, and she shouldn't be given less air time becasue some fans think she is a bad actress.

You can also find critics who have said the same things about Anna, that they "can't wrap their arms around her", though no doubt due to an overall lack of talent, so a quote from a critic hardly offers validation or credence to your belief that she is the end all be all, nor does it detract from people who believe she is a terrible actress and painful to watch. It is also somewhat condescending to refer to an outside critic, as real implying the weekly reviewer here is something less.

Here's a question since Aiden was so terrible to some and the first season was simply not as good, in some people's minds, as the current season why did you all bother to stick around. Disliking the wooden and heinous performance of one actress is no reason for some to stop watching a show if they find enjoyment in other aspects. I think the better question is why is everyone so afraid of criticism and opposite viewpoints?

You know what is just as easy as not watching, not reading.

Ali

AlyssaluvsDanny said:
Exactly--by the halfway through the first season of CSI: NY, the other characters were already established and clearly past any growing pains they experienced in the first few episodes with their roles.

From a real critic, he said this about the characters, and mainly, Vanessa: but Sinise's sidekick here is as close to a female leader as the series has come to date. Stella Bonasera (Providence's Melina Kanakaredes) is a smart, powerful woman who isn't afraid to get her hands dirty and has a subtle, exotic look that makes it difficult to turn away when she's onscreen. The rest of the cast is excellent as well, with special mention going to Hill Harper as the coroner, Dr. Sheldon Hawkes, and Carmine Giovinazzo as Danny Messer. Eddie Cahill is also solid as Detective Don Flack Jr., but the only person I just couldn't wrap my arms around was Vanessa Ferlito's character, Aiden Burn. Ferlito is gorgeous and does all that she can with the role, but it's underwritten and needs to be developed a bit more in future seasons.

You do realize that this, uh, *real* critic was actually paying a compliment to Vanessa, saying that she's using her talent to bring the character to life as much as possible but that the problem actually lies with how the character was written. Thus, this *real* critic was criticizing the writing and the writers, not Vanessa. And, since what Top was saying was about the actors themselves settling into the roles and that by this *real* critic's opinion Vanessa was quite settled, you actually supported Top's statement.

As for Anna deserving screen time even if she's a bad actress, I disagree. It would behoove TPTB to NOT force mediocre talent on their audience, lest they lose viewers. If someone isn't up to par they should be given less to do until they can prove themselves competent.

I did feel that Vanessa's character was underdeveloped, but I still managed to like her (mainly, because what I had seen was interesting, and I had confidence that what was to come would be just as much so). Lindsay, too, is underdeveloped, but I'm not nearly as confident that she's going to be anything other than a way to take away from the darkness the show had last season.

BittenByTheWolfe said:
AlyssaluvsDanny said:

From a real critic, he said this about the characters, and mainly, Vanessa: but Sinise's sidekick here is as close to a female leader as the series has come to date. Stella Bonasera (Providence's Melina Kanakaredes) is a smart, powerful woman who isn't afraid to get her hands dirty and has a subtle, exotic look that makes it difficult to turn away when she's onscreen. The rest of the cast is excellent as well, with special mention going to Hill Harper as the coroner, Dr. Sheldon Hawkes, and Carmine Giovinazzo as Danny Messer. Eddie Cahill is also solid as Detective Don Flack Jr., but the only person I just couldn't wrap my arms around was Vanessa Ferlito's character, Aiden Burn. Ferlito is gorgeous and does all that she can with the role, but it's underwritten and needs to be developed a bit more in future seasons.

You do realize that this, uh, *real* critic was actually paying a compliment to Vanessa, saying that she's using her talent to bring the character to life as much as possible but that the problem actually lies with how the character was written. Thus, this *real* critic was criticizing the writing and the writers, not Vanessa. And, since what Top was saying was about the actors themselves settling into the roles and that by this *real* critic's opinion Vanessa was quite settled, you actually supported Top's statement.

Exactly. :lol: That real critic seems to agree with me. :lol: Were the characters fully-formed in season one? No, of course not. We're going to presumably watch them grow and develop as the show goes on. But were all of the actors a good fit for their roles, and did they all work well together? Yes. All the guy who wrote that is saying (and because I don't have a link, I can't properly credit him) is that Vanessa was good and deserved to have her character developed more.

As for Anna deserving screen time even if she's a bad actress, I disagree. It would behoove TPTB to NOT force mediocre talent on their audience, lest they lose viewers. If someone isn't up to par they should be given less to do until they can prove themselves competent.

Yeah, no kidding. How long are we expected to suffer through Anna's growing pains on the show, when she's only getting worse, not better? She takes screen time away from the people who can act and who do have a good grasp on their characters. Bad actors should get less screen time, not more, and really have no business on a top-rated show like this.

AlyssaluvsDanny said:
And I don't understand, after every episode, you complain. Just stop watching. She is now a main character, and she shouldn't be given less air time becasue some fans think she is a bad actress.

You know, you might try making a real argument now and then. This whole "don't watch it if you don't like it" and "people only dislike Lindsay because Aiden left" is incredibly old and tired.

I just saw a few episodes of Medical Investigation, and in my opinion she was really really good as Eva Rossi. Now I don't understand what happened to her when she took on Lindsay. It was like she was more comfortable in her role as Eva than with Lindsay even though she said that she felt closer to Lindsay's character.

Now I'm confused with myself. I like Lindsay, I like Anna, but I kind of don't like some of her acting. Is that weird?

BTW, sorry for bringing Medical Investigation in here. It's only for comparison. :)

keich said:
I just saw a few episodes of Medical Investigation, and in my opinion she was really really good as Eva Rossi. Now I don't understand what happened to her when she took on Lindsay. It was like she was more comfortable in her role as Eva than with Lindsay even though she said that she felt closer to Lindsay's character.

BTW, sorry for bringing Medical Investigation in here. It's only for comparison. :)

Nothing wrong with bringing up MI! :) It's an intriguing comparison. I've heard she was better in MI than CSI: NY from people who've seen both. Maybe the MI role ended up being a better fit for her?

Now I'm confused with myself. I like Lindsay, I like Anna, but I kind of don't like some of her acting. Is that weird?

You're not the only one I've seen who likes Lindsay and expressed concerns with Anna's acting, so I wouldn't say weird at all. :) I admire the honesty and think the topic merits further exploration.

I think it's possible to like someone and not like all of their acting, or think that they're good in every scene. Is it possible that some people like the character of Lindsay in spite of the fact of Anna's acting limitations?

I just thought of something. Maybe she's better at MI because she knew the Eva character was far from her own, thus challenging her to do a better job. Since Lindsay is a lot closer to who Anna is, she's not giving her 100% at acting because she doesn't have to, and maybe that comes off as sucky acting to us.

Okay, I'm not even sure if I made sense. It's already past midnight here (I'm not from the US, by the way), and I have the tendency to get all weird and philosophical and a real blabber mouth when I'm tired and sleepy. So I'm off to bed, see you guys tomorrow. :)

keich said:
I just thought of something. Maybe she's better at MI because she knew the Eva character was far from her own, thus challenging her to do a better job. Since Lindsay is a lot closer to who Anna is, she's not giving her 100% at acting because she doesn't have to, and maybe that comes off as sucky acting to us.

No, that sounds possible to me. Other actors on the CSI shows have said that they bring a lot of themselves to their characters. And it makes sense that someone would view playing a character different from him/her as more of a challenge initially.

I'm not sure it's entirely a matter of effort--the screaming scenes are just bad all around, and I do think she's "trying" in those--but putting more effort into her performance and coming across more naturally wouldn't be a bad idea.

I think that Anna just has one of those personalities where getting mad just doesn't work. I have a friend like this, and even though I know she'll be FUMING, she won't come across like it at all, and when she tries, its funny more than anything. Lindsay/Anna has a very "soft" sort of look/character/personality, IMO, making dsplays of anger and frustration a bit more difficult. But again, we don't really know for sure, just a thought.

I think that come next year, we'll see Anna fall into her character nicely.

I'm finding that some people here are...ohhh...this is the b**** that replaced Aiden. I'd probably feel the same way if somebody replaced a favorite character of mine.

I think she's a wonderul actress, although the only time I've ever seen her was in WAT when she played that shooter.
She was extremely believable to me as a determined individual, excersising her beliefs to free whoever...blah...I forgot the storyline....but anyways

My 2 cents.

spader said:
I'm finding that some people here are...ohhh...this is the b**** that replaced Aiden.

:mad: :mad: :mad: Please, please, please stop saying that! That's NOT why I don't like Lindsay! What posts did you read that said the reason for hating Lindsay was Aiden leaving? I never saw such posts.

All I saw was people complaining about how Lindsay chracter was not fully developed by the writers, and that Anna is not a very skilled actress. There is no comparison between Aiden and Lindsay, the two are completly different characters!

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'll actually be glad when Aiden dies, maybe it'll put an end to this argument.(wishful thinking on my part perhaps)

spader said:
I think that come next year, we'll see Anna fall into her character nicely.

After a whole year of being on the show? That's a little too long in the world of television.

I'm finding that some people here are...ohhh...this is the b**** that replaced Aiden. I'd probably feel the same way if somebody replaced a favorite character of mine.

Have you even read this thread? I'm starting to laugh every time I see this argument. Aiden was on the show for a year, and has been gone for almost as long. Most of us are long over it; those that aren't are straighforward about it.

I think she's a wonderul actress, although the only time I've ever seen her was in WAT when she played that shooter.
She was extremely believable to me as a determined individual, excersising her beliefs to free whoever...blah...I forgot the storyline....but anyways

So you think she's great...even though you've only seen her in one guest appearance in a show? Okay.

I understand that Anna needs work, but I really think she'd be better suited to another show. Actors are rarely employed out of sympathy.

Back