Season 7 Spoiler Discussion - Welcome back to the Big Apple!

Status
Not open for further replies.

thanks, it was there this time :) and it was gross!!! i should probably bite my tongue here but hawkes jumping in on sid's summary really annoyed me. a couple of weeks ago he had to ask sid to explain something in autopsy, now he's telling everyone sid's lines?! :scream:

To be fair, Hawkes is a medical doctor and in S1 he was the ME, not a CSI so yes, he can spout the medical stuff just as well as Sid. I think having Hawkes ask Sid to explain something is more annoying unless it was something new (new procedure, new processing method, etc) since the time he'd been in Sid's job.

thanks, it was there this time :) and it was gross!!! i should probably bite my tongue here but hawkes jumping in on sid's summary really annoyed me. a couple of weeks ago he had to ask sid to explain something in autopsy, now he's telling everyone sid's lines?! :scream:

To be fair, Hawkes is a medical doctor and in S1 he was the ME, not a CSI so yes, he can spout the medical stuff just as well as Sid. I think having Hawkes ask Sid to explain something is more annoying unless it was something new (new procedure, new processing method, etc) since the time he'd been in Sid's job.

oh yeah i know all that, it's just that a week or so ago he'd obvoiusly forgotten all the medical stuff to the point he had to ask sid to explain (and i remember a few people commenting on how odd that was) and now he's stealing sid's thunder!

i don't have an issue with hawkes knowing stuff (sometimes with his preachy tone, but that's different) - what i have an issue with is the continuity, again. it's great that hawkes used to be the ME, he did a good job at that and is fine in the field too (although personally i preferred him as ME) - but the writers/producers need to remember that he used to be ME and remember it consistently.

if they'd had anyone else asking sid for the explanation it would've been fine, but it was hawkes' job to know this stuff and it was like they forgot that for a while there. but y'know, consistency is hardly the writers' strong point is it?:lol:

It's just frustrating when the show dumbs the characters down to feed information to the audience. Experienced CSIs don't need things defined for them all of the time, etc. A necessary evil sometimes, sure, but still annoying.

Here's an ooky behind the scenes video about the special effects for this week's episode. (I assume the version on CBS.com is geo-blocked. If someone finds a YouTube link that everybody can watch, that would be awesome. :))

All the characters at some point have to dumb-down what is being said for the benefit of the audience. Hawkes gets a turn just like everyone else on the show. If they just rattled off chemical compounds and whatnot the viewers would be lost. Also from the medical perspective the average viewer doesn't know all the medical jargon, since a lot of people who watch the show have never been to medical school.

It can be sort of annoying, but I can understand why they need to do it.

It's just frustrating when the show dumbs the characters down to feed information to the audience. Experienced CSIs don't need things defined for them all of the time, etc. A necessary evil sometimes, sure, but still annoying.

Here's an ooky behind the scenes video about the special effects for this week's episode. (I assume the version on CBS.com is geo-blocked. If someone finds a YouTube link that everybody can watch, that would be awesome. :))

Thanks Fay

The link for all countries - - > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pj7-xMNJai0

All the characters at some point have to dumb-down what is being said for the benefit of the audience. Hawkes gets a turn just like everyone else on the show. If they just rattled off chemical compounds and whatnot the viewers would be lost. Also from the medical perspective the average viewer doesn't know all the medical jargon, since a lot of people who watch the show have never been to medical school.

It can be sort of annoying, but I can understand why they need to do it.

again, the dumbing down isn't what is bothering me (well, ok, it does bother me a bit but like you i fully understand why they do it so i can let it go) - what bothers me is the continuity. one minute hawkes has no idea about anything medical despite having the medical background, and the next he's some kind of boy wonder doctor? come on writers, get you story straight! either make him the ex-ME who knows what he's talking about and can explain stuff to the non-medically minded CSIs, or make him totally forget his medical background in the field, forcing him to ask sid for clarification - just don't try to do both! and don't think we won't notice the lack of consistency!

as it happens they could've avoided this altogether by having jo (or another non-medical CSI) ask sid the question, thus removing the need for hawkes to confuse things. i often think they should employ some of the regular fans as consultants so they can remind themselves what they did in the past and stick to it instead of rewriting their own histories. because we do an infinitely better job of these things than they do :)

oh yeah i know all that, it's just that a week or so ago he'd obvoiusly forgotten all the medical stuff to the point he had to ask sid to explain (and i remember a few people commenting on how odd that was) and now he's stealing sid's thunder!

i don't have an issue with hawkes knowing stuff (sometimes with his preachy tone, but that's different) - what i have an issue with is the continuity, again. it's great that hawkes used to be the ME, he did a good job at that and is fine in the field too (although personally i preferred him as ME) - but the writers/producers need to remember that he used to be ME and remember it consistently.

if they'd had anyone else asking sid for the explanation it would've been fine, but it was hawkes' job to know this stuff and it was like they forgot that for a while there. but y'know, consistency is hardly the writers' strong point is it?:lol:

Okay--I get what you mean--and I agree. The writers really need to be consistent about the characters' backgrounds. Yes, they have to have someone explain things for the benefit of the audience, but I agree with your idea that they should have had Jo or another CSI ask Sid for clarification, not the other medical doctor [Hawkes].

Keck's Exclusives: A New CSI: NY Guy Spoils Sparks for Mac and Jo

CSI: NY will kick off 2011 by introducing JAG star David James Elliott as FBI agent Russ Josephson, the ex-husband of Jo (Sela Ward), who will get in the way of the simmering chemistry between Jo and Mac (Gary Sinise). "I think he wants Jo back — and there is electricity," says David of his character, the father of Jo's son, whom we'll meet later this season. "Russ refers to their divorce as a 'separation.'"

While she may still have feelings for her ex, Sela believes Jo "must move forward." With Mac, perhaps? "There's definitely a subtle flirtation," she says. Even Gary, who prefers the show's focus to remain on the crimes, says that "Mac's captivated by Jo's wonderful Southern charm. She has a unique way about her that is infectious."

And Russ will pick up on that feeling, says exec producer Pam Veasey, who's in no rush to hook Jo up with either man just yet. "The audience will give us the signal when to go forward, but we like that there's chemistry and I think you'll see it evolve," she says. Signs of Jo and Mac's bond will be evident even before Russ arrives when the CBS series celebrates its 150th episode on December 3. It's a cheery first New York Christmas for Jo — aside from a bleeding woman in Central Park and a guy who dies in a department-store window display. New York, adds Veasey, "is so romantic in the winter."

Source: http://www.tvguide.com/News/Kecks-Exclusives-New-1024938.aspx?rss=object

I would remain dearer like Gary also with the sites of crimes determination instead of going again to the soap opera.We had this already enough.

I admit that I see the chemistry between Jo and Mac and she does bring out in him a more relaxed, easy going way of him. The only thing that holds me back is that we just had the whole Peyton/Aubrey thing and Mac can do without a romantic interest for a while IMO. Aside from that I'm looking forward to seeing Elliot as Jo's ex :).

I'm also looking foward to seeing DJE as Jo's ex. I loved him in Jag and I anticipate some great chemistry with Sela. As for Mac/Jo, I've never been keen on the two leads hooking up, but these two have won me over from the very start. They have such great chemistry and such a sense of fun to them that I'd love to see their relationship evolve into something more than co-workers. The way they've been written together has been smart, funny and flirty and as long as the writers stay in that vein I think they could be good together. Mac has certainly been a different character since Jo arrived and I like the change.

ETA: I'm also looking forward to John Laroquette's arc. I think he and Gary will play off each other very well. Also, is it just me or does the sniper kid look like he could be Val Kilmer's son? I don't know if Val Kilmer has a son, but I think the kid looks a lot like him.

Last edited:
Question: I've read that CSI: NY might be axed this season to make room for one of CBS's midseason replacements. How do you feel about that? CSI: NY was a valuable member of CBS's line-up for years, so I find it very disrespectful that they'd dismiss an aging show before the season was over in order to test out a new one. I think if they are going to dismiss CSI: NY, they should at least give it a proper send-off. After years of being a highly rated show, they deserve at least that much. — Mary

Matt Roush: As it turns out, Medium will be this season's sacrificial lamb on Friday nights. It just had its episode order cut to 13, and while it hasn't been confirmed yet that this signifies the end of its long run, I wouldn't be surprised. (Hope they don't end on a cliffhanger. That would be just too aggravating.) Regarding CSI: NY, the move to Fridays was a strategic one that has paid off with higher numbers for CBS on Friday, boosting the fortunes of Blue Bloods, which follows it. But because it airs on a night of overall lower viewership, CSI: NY can't be expected to pull the numbers it did on Wednesdays. (And the other part of the equation was to open up the Wednesday time slot to a new show, The Defenders, which looks like it will be around for a while as well.) If CSI: NY does go on hiatus in the winter or spring to make temporary room for a midseason tryout, don't read too much into that. Something's gotta give to make room for some of the midseason product. I would think NY has at least a few more seasons left in it. Otherwise, why bring Sela Ward into it? And if it does come to the end of its run sooner than later, I'm sure CBS will give the fans and the show time to prepare.

From Ask Matt http://www.tvguide.com/News/Ask-Matt-Raising-1024944.aspx

CSI: NY - Episode 7.08 - Scared Stiff - Press Release

THE CSIs EXPERIENCE EERIE OCCURRENCES AFTER A WOMAN IS FOUND LITERALLY SCARED TO DEATH, ON "CSI: NY," FRIDAY, NOV. 12

John Larroquette ("Night Court," "Boston Legal") Returns as Deputy Chief of Manhattan Borough Detectives Ted Carver

"Scared Stiff" — When the CSIs experience eerie occurrences after finding a female victim who appears to have been literally scared to death, the case takes another strange turn when Mac discovers a second victim, on CSI: NY, Friday, Nov. 12 (9:00-10:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network. John Larroquette returns as Deputy Chief of Manhattan Borough Detectives Ted Carver.

SERIES REGULARS:
Det. Mac Taylor......... .... Gary Sinise
Jo Danville Sela Ward
Danny Messer Carmine Giovinazzo
Dr. Sheldon Hawkes Hill Harper
Det. Don Flack Eddie Cahill
Lindsay Monroe Messer Anna Belknap
Adam Ross AJ Buckley
Dr. Sid Hammerback Robert Joy

GUEST CAST:
Chief Ted Carver John Larroquette
Rosie……………………………Sophia Bui
Gordon Sprouse Jeffrey Vincent Parise
Samantha……………………..Jamie Tisdale
Isabel Wilde……………………..Kelly Polk
Lisa……………………Marianne Chambers
Declan “Sully” Sullivan.......Lightfield
Lewis Helen………………...Anastacia McPherson

WRITTEN BY: Kim Clements
DIRECTED BY: Marshall Adams

Source: CBS

Last edited:
Press release for "Justified." I'm really looking forward to John Larroquette's episodes!

MAC GOES UP AGAINST THE DEPUTY CHIEF OF DETECTIVES WHEN A DARK SECRET FROM THE CHIEF'S PAST THREATENS HIS REPUTATION AND FAMILY, ON "CSI: NY," FRIDAY, NOV. 19

Emmy Award-Winning Actor John Larroquette ("Night Court," "Boston Legal") Returns as Deputy Chief of Manhattan Borough Detectives Ted Carver

"Justified" - When a woman's body washes up at the South Street Seaport, the CSIs unravel a dark secret from Deputy Chief Carver's past that threatens to shatter his stellar reputation and close-knit family, on CSI: NY, Friday, Nov. 19 (9:00-10:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network. Emmy Award-winning actor John Larroquette returns as Deputy Chief of Manhattan Borough Detectives Ted Carver.

SERIES REGULARS:
Det. Mac Taylor........................ .... Gary Sinise
Jo Danville...................................... Sela Ward
Danny Messer................... Carmine Giovinazzo
Dr. Sheldon Hawkes....................... Hill Harper
Det. Don Flack............................. Eddie Cahill
Lindsay Monroe Messer............ Anna Belknap
Adam Ross.................................... AJ Buckley
Dr. Sid Hammerback...................... Robert Joy

GUEST CAST:
Chief Ted Carver................... John Larroquette
Mitch Barrett........................Mo Gallini