"MEAT JEKYLL" Discussion **SPOILERS**

OOO that's right. But somehow Haskell was involved.(either directly or not) I remember because I was watching that episode thinking that Haskell he was tied to their murders.

Thanks for that. :D

No problem. ;)

Going further (and this is from memory of my initial viewing as I haven't seen any season 9 episodes apart from "For Warrick", "No Way Out" and "Turn, Turn, Turn" since), the killer in "Leave Out All The Rest" and "19 Down"/"One To Go" was an old friend and/or accomplice of Haskell's. That or someone who contacted Haskell after he was caught and jailed. Can't really recall. He messed up the murders in "Leave" somehow. This is why Haskell gives him the coded message in the middle of Langston's class. Haskell wasn't directly involved in "Leave" but gave advice for the crime in "19 Down"/"One To Go".

No problem. ;)

Going further (and this is from memory of my initial viewing as I haven't seen any season 9 episodes apart from "For Warrick", "No Way Out" and "Turn, Turn, Turn" since), the killer in "Leave Out All The Rest" and "19 Down"/"One To Go" was an old friend and/or accomplice of Haskell's. That or someone who contacted Haskell after he was caught and jailed. Can't really recall. He messed up the murders in "Leave" somehow. This is why Haskell gives him the coded message in the middle of Langston's class. Haskell wasn't directly involved in "Leave" but gave advice for the crime in "19 Down"/"One To Go".

OMG, I was so confused by those episodes! I think I still am! :lol: But no wonder I couldn't for the life of me remember Haskell being the killer in them because he was in prison. I still don't fully understand. That was one of those "leave it hanging at the end of this episode and pick it up later when the viewers have forgotten what happened" episodes. :lol: Maybe I should go watch them again now that I am a bit more refreshed on what happened later.

The finale was generally good but I really want to see some continuity next season about Nick's and Ray's injuries as well as the repercussions of Catherine's actions to bring Haskell back.

I've been away from this place for almost a year, after suggesting CSI was headed for the toilet when Grissom was finally written out. After the write out of Sara. Too many key players gone too quickly = too drastic a change, IMO.
I would say the show really is struggling, based on this year's continuing background plot which is so "Silence of the Lambs", I'm surprised the show hasn't been sued for it. They've even brought back Sara in a desperate attempt to lessen the effects of the loss of 2 more main characters, but she's just a shadow of her former character, without the Grissom character as her main foil-interactive. They even have her getting along with Katy. I don't watch it enough any more, I guess, to really foresee how it will all unfold in the end, but it really wouldn't surprise me if this is the show's pre-last season. Petersen must know there's only so much money you can wring out of a drastically changed drama, and I'd bet he and Chvatal are doing whatever needs to be done to wind it all down, gracefully.
Just my opinion. (cue the feeding frenzy;))

I have to disagree about Sara. I loved her this season, much more than the love-sick puppy we saw in the earlier seasons and the angst ridden one in the later ones. This Sara is strong, confident and happy.

I have to disagree about Sara. I loved her this season, much more than the love-sick puppy we saw in the earlier seasons and the angst ridden one in the later ones. This Sara is strong, confident and happy.
I agree. I also like her return to the stronger, more lighthearted character we knew from earlier seasons.

Also, while the Nate Haskell/Dr. Jekyll storyline is somewhat derivative of "The Silence of the Lambs," it's different enough that I doubt a lawsuit would hold water. After all, in copyright law, you can't sue over an idea . . . and even if you could, using one serial killer to catch another is hardly an idea that's original to that novel and/or the movie on which it is based.

Agreed! I've rather enjoyed Sara this season. :)

The finale was generally good but I really want to see some continuity next season about Nick's and Ray's injuries as well as the repercussions of Catherine's actions to bring Haskell back.

So would I, but that would require something called 'continuity' and CSI has never been good about that.:(

I'm not a Sara fan, never have been, but I agree with you CgrGrl. I really liked Sara this season. Maybe it's because she wasn't with Grissom, she acted a little different. I liked her working with Nick, they make a great combo. They always tease each other with little jokes, that's something I always liked by the way.

Petersen must know there's only so much money you can wring out of a drastically changed drama, and I'd bet he and Chvatal are doing whatever needs to be done to wind it all down, gracefully.
Just my opinion. (cue the feeding frenzy;))

I highly doubt Petersen is really involved anymore with the show. I think he's Executive Producer in name only, at this point. If he is involved, it wouldn't be much and he wouldn't have say as to when to end the show.

I agree with Billy not really being a part of CSI as of now. I also believe that the executive producer title is "in name only and for monetary value, who knows why":confused: He's left. for his own reasons, and so far no news on him returning. I am happy with the whole cast as it stands now, and Sara is stronger, but it seems strange that she's here, when she left so drained and sick of Vegas, and she just got married this is odd for sure:cardie: If she returns, that will be great, but who knows what's in store. I want to see what happens in S/11 and on this last ep. "Meat Jekyll" Dr. Ray was remarkable and intoxicating, what a great actor:p. I just hope that everything will go back on an even keel and we will get to delve more into the teams personal lives, in S/11!

Last edited:
I am happy with the whole cast as it stands now, and Sara is stronger, but it seems strange that she's here, when she left so drained and sick of Vegas, adn she just got married this is odd for sure:cardie:
I agree that it was odd that this has never really been explained. However, I think we can infer a few things from the sequence of events: Sara left to deal with her own personal demons. She must have had success with that, because she let Grissom know that she didn't have to have him in her life, that she was strong within herself to go on with or without him. He was free to make up his own mind, based on what he wanted and needed, not what she wanted and needed.

I think that was the real turning point, not them getting married. When she was strong enough to let him go, that meant she was a much stronger person than when she left. And I think that freedom to explore his own feelings, unconditionally, ultimately drew him back to Sara because they essentially share the same worldview.

So by the time we see Sara again, she's actually been in this "new reality" for quite some time; it's just new to us because until this year, we hadn't seen much of her for the previous year and a half. And she would feel no need to explain her new/old self because she knows her friends get this about her.

As for Ray, I actually liked him better during his first season with the show, when he was a newbie learning the ropes. Somehow, something hasn't quite come together for me with his character this season, and I really believe it's because the writers still haven't got a handle on who Ray is. Is he the eager student, wise in so many areas, but inexperienced as a CSI? Or is he a dominant force, a leader who was supposed to take Grissom's place (even though we in the audience have divided loyalties, many favoring the old hands in the cast)? Each episode this season has seemed to vacillate between the old and new Ray, with the writers taking tentative steps toward the "new" Ray, only to pull back, almost as if they are reading the forums and getting a sense of the audience's dismay.

I don't fault Laurence Fishburne for any of this. I think he's doing the best he can with a character who's often waffling in his traits. I think the writers really need to sit down with him and firmly establish who Ray is, and what his role is going to be on the team, before we in the audience can move forward with him.

byline and other fans here's a brief YouTube with LF talking about CSI, and his character Dr. Langston, and his 'backstory'. TPTB are the ones who give him the script and are responsible for everything he does. He's a seasoned veteran actor [since he was 10] so he goes along with what he's told to do. What I like about him is, he's self-assured and confidant, without being pompous, arrogant or conceited, an appealing combination~

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqrAzLstnVI

Back