Eva/Natalia #2: History Aside, She's Making a Good One!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good analysis and very well thought, yes anything can happen to her story-arc, it is still open. So nice to be able to have something to talk about Natalia, other than the 'Where is she?' though this still happens.

Onto the violence issue -- I don't think it has anything to do with Nick. For one thing, he is dead & the storyline couldn't go much further because of this. In most of these personal storylines, the problems/issues eventually work thier way into a case that the team solves, or somewhere something connects them to a case. If this was something to do with Nick then I can't see how or where it would go from here....unless the man isn't really dead! I doubt that though; would be kinda cool ....anyway...

Unless they don't mean to make it (the story-arc) out further and that she would just be reminded of her past and maybe it comes back to haunt her on a case in the future.

Secondly, she was far too defensive at the Doctor's suggestion that it was caused from abuse; Nat has already shown she's past that, why put up a wall that quickly? And why wouldn't she have just explained her past & reassured him it'd never happen again since Nick was dead?!
It seems to me that this incident was more recent & that she's hiding it for some reason.

Yes, Nick is already dead and Natalia should not have any problem about telling the doctor and that it was in the past. Her being defensive is one important factor to consider and why would they stress about the issue on violence with that 'stop violence' pamphlet.

Third, Doc said she had had a concussion -- had it happened when she was with Nick she'd have likely seen a Doctor already for it when her arm was broken, she would've known. In the office, she seemed almost oblivious to ever having a concussion.

Her fracture would have healed too. Also unless she has not been seeing the doctor to treat her injuries she suffered from her abuse.

When we first learned of this storyline, we all figured the majority would be about hearing loss & her job; I would've easily seen it as being from Nick then because I would have assumed her hearing loss & job was the bigger issue, not Nick, the cause. Now with this new info, I have the impression it's this "violent incident" that is the big secret, & the bigger issue.

One thing I will complain on, the hearing issue itself ...will if just be dropped now & turned over towards her "big secret"? I hate it when they do that :shifty: Hopefully they'll still try to work in whether or not her hearing loss will worsen or get better with surgery, but I have a feeling it won't now.

Now, I think about it, you might be right, there could be a bigger issue going on and this is the secret and not her hearing loss, which is not so much a secret especially to the viewers. Just maybe...

At least right now the doctor have yet to fully access how bad is her condition as he can't seem to tell her whether her hearing would go away yet.

Not to forget, Eva did a great job! :)

Eva was fabulous wasn't she? I always love to see when she's allowed to center on the drama, she's cut out for it -- her expressions say so much.

I won't quote little by little here, but all in all I just think Natalia would have shown some sort of sign that it was relating back to Nick (or rather TPTB would've wrote it that way), if that were the case. I don't know, it was just something about her reaction to it & the way she immediatly turned the situation back to her "almost being blown to bits"....major denial there, imo, & she's past being in denial about her abusive marriage, at least that was the impression I had from how she spoke of it to H, & Eric those few times, Jake too during interrogation.
I wouldn't expect her to come right out & spill her guts to the Doc about Nick, but I would have expected her just to tell him, "yeah, ok, I know how this happened.. so what now", if Nick caused the fracture/concussion that long ago. Who knows, so much can surface that we're unaware of when it comes to TPTB.

Anyway, I haven't been this thrilled for a storyline in soooo long! I'm happy there's a twist in all this & that it's not too close to Grissom's; guess it's not so recycled afterall. Even more, I'm thrilled for Eva -- she deserves a good arc & has waited on the sidelines long enough!!

been a while since i posted anything!

i agree that Natalia should have been more willing to tell the doctor, "yes, i was abused, but that was years ago and the guys dead!" (bc that is what should happen to men like him). She's been very forward about that in recent seasons. very confident and getting a gun and everything so i would be confused if she is in ANOTHER abusive relationship!

Not to mention--if her head is getting bashed in wouldn't that leave bruises that say the other CSIers would see. I mean they are pretty observant. And that would be kind of obvious.

It could still be about Nick's abuse coming back to haunt her, but from the way she reacted and what the doctor said I gathered it was more recent as well.

Something else people have been mentioning is the liver transplant thing. the liver is the only organ in the body that can regenerate itself. So a live donor can give half of his or her liver and will grow into two full livers within a few weeks.

Last edited:
Actually I'm pretty intrigued by this sudden resurrection of her past... It's real interesting to be able to explore this further. But I would like to watch this settle once & for all now that they're having to bring this up again. And I really don't to watch her going through all of this all alone... and with the changes I've noticed thus season I'd wanna see the WHOLE team get behind her & help her fight this like a true family!

Actually I'm pretty intrigued by this sudden resurrection of her past... It's real interesting to be able to explore this further. But I would like to watch this settle once & for all now that they're having to bring this up again. And I really don't to watch her going through all of this all alone... and with the changes I've noticed thus season I'd wanna see the WHOLE team get behind her & help her fight this like a true family!

Agreed. I would like to see the whole team behind her on this as well. And was it me or did anyone get the hint since she didn't get her hearing checked and she kinda lied to Ryan when it first happened, after the explosion, that Ryan kinda did a mole thing and told some people about her hearing? I kinda got that vibe. I mean I love Ryan, but I just had that feeling. Especially when she said "great" with that tone. But overall it was a pretty good episode. And I can't wait for when we get more! I haven't been this excited in forever, so I'm stoked!!!!! :)

iwatchtoomuchTV posted:

Not to mention--if her head is getting bashed in wouldn't that leave bruises that say the other CSIers would see. I mean they are pretty observant. And that would be kind of obvious.

But some of these abusive type guys know that if they hit the woman on the part of her head that is covered by her hair, the bruises won't be noticed by anyone. And she has probably been thinking she can handle the situation herself.

I can't wait to find out who the bad guy is.

That was interesting about the liver.

Agreed. I would like to see the whole team behind her on this as well. And was it me or did anyone get the hint since she didn't get her hearing checked and she kinda lied to Ryan when it first happened, after the explosion, that Ryan kinda did a mole thing and told some people about her hearing? I kinda got that vibe. I mean I love Ryan, but I just had that feeling. Especially when she said "great" with that tone. But overall it was a pretty good episode. And I can't wait for when we get more! I haven't been this excited in forever, so I'm stoked!!!!! :)

Re: Ryan informing Walter of her hearing -- I didn't see it as any kind of betayal or anything. Natalia hadn't admitted anything to Ryan, nor did she ask him to keep it a secret. I got the feeling he had just told Walter in passing so that he would know she wouldn't be going out into the field. So, no, I didn't see it as a bad thing -- I think Ryan was looking out for her & everyone else that could be harmed from her injury (innocent citizens she's meant to be protecting). IMO, it was just out of concern, & also a little that Ryan was just frustrated that she hadn't said or done anything about it yet.

Actually what I'm wondering now is what she told them after she saw the doctor!! Will she only spill what the doctor said about it being too soon to know if it will go away on it's own? And is she gonna be stuck in the lab until then? Or...will she again cover everything up & say she's fine to avoid having to admit the head trauma factor? Who the heck knows....It should be interesting to see what she does.

RE: The team backing her up -- I totally agree, that is if they ever actually learn of her issues. As of right now, we don't know what she'll tell any of them about the office visit. They will eventually find everything out, it's the way this show works, so when that time comes I do hope she has thier support....I'd hate to see her have to go through this alone, especially considering it may or may not have to do with a recent attack.

I don't know who said this, but, RE: the head-slaps leaving bruises. Not necessarily. A slap/whack to the FACE would leave bruising, but if this person litterally whacked her upside the head/ear then it wouldn't likely show any visible bruises. Even if her ear was slightly discolored from the hit, she wears her hair down enough that it would/could have gone un-noticed.

It could still be about Nick's abuse coming back to haunt her, but from the way she reacted and what the doctor said I gathered it was more recent as well.
I could see it both ways too, but I watched the scene again & the doctor did specifically ask her if she had suffered any recent head trauma. Besides, how in the world does an injury from what we would assume was at least 4-5 years old show up on that CTscan :wtf:
I still think it's recent, & not from Nick...though it is chilling to think that he's "haunting" her. Hell, right now I don't care who's right or who's wrong, I'm just happy that she's got a storyline that we can sit here & speculate on!! :p

And she has probably been thinking she can handle the situation herself.
Most likely. I think it's possible she didn't have enough evidence to support the situation so she's waiting/hoping he slips & screws up so she can bust him without ever having to come forward about her own incident.

Last edited:
I loved Natalia in Die By The Sword, I felt sorry for her when she didn't wanna tell the Dr that she was abused by her husband... well at least that's what I think it is. Poor thing. I'd write a fanfic on it but I don't have the time, I think I'll try though.

I don't know why, but the first time we see Natalia in the episode she was very beautiful, not that she got ugly or anything, but it just stood out for me when she just walked away from Ryan. Looking forward for more of her story and Jesse's...

It was nice to see Natalia (Eva) getting some time in the spotlight in "Die by the Sword." She's been highly under-utilized so far in season 8, IMHO. And in DBTS, she again demonstrated that she definitely has the acting chops to handle a more meaty storyline. I'm looking forward to see how her hearing loss story arc develops.

The more I see it, the more I believe her injury is due to a more recent case and not Nick. Nick's abuse was so long ago even before she became a CSI, the symptoms would have shown or she would have healed long ago. Maybe her vulnerability is not being able to walk away from such relationship or falls too easily into one.

Since she will be receiving treatment, so she can claim that it will be okay if Ryan asked her about it. We have to see if her hearing deteriorates, then what she would do when it does. So maybe she won't be totally stuck in the lab?

I am happy for her to have a story but still they should never leave her totally out again or I will still be pissed.

Greetings good people! It's been sometime since I have posted here. But now we have a good Natalia storyline to sink our teeth into, something which has been absent for some time.

First, let me say that I thought the "Die by the Sword" epi was a good one, not exceptional, but I still give it a thumbs up.

Now to Natalia.

I was thrilled to see she's been given a storyline that she can really run with. The scene in the MRI scanner, gave an impression of loneliness in facing an unknown, but possibly serious situaiton. I do hope that TPTB lets Eva really run with this, rather than let it fall by the wayside like they have done in the past.

As to the issue of whether or not the condition the doctor discovered is due to her marriage with now-dead ex-husband Nick or to something she have may have gotten into more recently, I cannot say with any absolute certainty.

However I am going to give my own theory. Her condition was brought on not by one slap to the face, but by repeated slaps and hits over time. The condition probably existed for some time but needed some final tipping point to bring it to light, and that would be the explosion. I would compare it to maybe being something like a diabetic, sometimes one doesn't even realize you have it until things get really bad and even then it takes a doctor to finally give you the bad news.

I sort of shudder to think that Natalia may have walked out of her abusive marriage and later down the road, have walked into another relationship just as abusive. Natalia seems smarter than that. I just think the probability that this is the case is small. If that is the way TPTB wanted to play it, why not give the viewers signs of it far in advance? Why not give her bruises elsewhere that other CSIs may have seen? After all the CSIs are supposed to have higher than average observational abilities. And wouldn't we have seen changes in her behavior as well? To me it just does not seem to add up that this condition was brought on by someone more recent. My two cents anyway. I favor the theory that the ghost of Nick has come back to haunt her.

The story has some great potential. Nick has been dead for a few years and perhaps Natalia thought she was truly past him and her abusive marriage. Now it seems that no matter what she does this dark cloud of her past is going to dog her wherever she goes. Just when she thought she was truly free this hearing issue surfaces. Like I said the ghost of Nick is still haunting her even to this day. It's a kind of dark storyline but I like it anyway.

Until next time!

the doctor did say "recent" head trauma. could it be after the blast she was thrown to the ground and suffered some sort of head trauma then. Now that wouldn't explain her defensiveness. i read online that it only takes one missplaced slap to the ear to screw with the inner workings. even blowing into the ear can pop your eardrum. one thing--is the cochlear concussion in both ears or just one? the way the doctor acted i'd say it was both and that is why he pressed the info on her. if it was just one then you can chalk it up to some sort of accident.

Why do TPTB do these things to us!:brickwall: I just don't get why it couldn't have been clearer...was it recent or her history with Nick! They're killin' me here! :evil:

one thing--is the cochlear concussion in both ears or just one?
I think the damage is done to just the one ear...her right ear. She could hear the signals in her left ear when testing. Hmmm....which could possibly mean that whoever did the slapping was left-handed, unless it was from behind her then he could be right-handed.
She did have a little bleeding on the right side of her forehead after the explosion & didn't want to be checked out further...but if the concussion was just from the explosion then there would be no need to bring up abuse; there's obviously a reason why they've made that a factor.

Why do TPTB do these things to us! I just don't get why it couldn't have been clearer...was
it recent or her history with Nick! They're killin' me here!

I'm just glad i'm not the only one obsessing about it!

Oh no, not me :shifty: Ok I am, so much so I googled this cochlear concussion & noise-induced hearing loss just to get more medical details :lol:
Everything that came up on the cochlear concussion was just as the doctor said, but all of the sites I went to said that it was followed by or after a blow to the head ....saw nothing of a 5 year duration. There was one site that said that if it's been a few days since the concussion (before seeking treatment) then it would be easier to treat & less damage to the inner ear, however, if it had been 3-5 months it would make matters worse -- so if this concussion is from five freaking years ago then she's got troubles!!
There were several types of treatments depending on the severity; some can go untreated & hearing will resume as normal, but if condition worsens then cochlear inplants could be performed to allow full use of hearing.

Having said that, this is TPTB we're dealing with so who knows how accurate anything will be -- I'd hope to at least see some kind of surgery opposed to her just one day up & saying she can hear better then POOF the hearing loss is no longer an issue. :rolleyes:

I am specualting here again. :p

The doctor said 'recent' as opposed to 'in the past'. Also this damage to the ear bone is inconsistent with noise trauma from the vibrations of the explosion. Thus she has now 2 types of injuries to her ear/hearing, I assume. As for the signs of abuse, tptb has pretty much ignored her character so far.

Oh and I thought the cochlear damage was in her left ear but the damage ear cells from the explosion was in both ears.

Let's see tptb will go down which route. I hope they don't just dump this hearing issue down. Gosh, I am still worried what tptb might do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back