8x01 - 'Out of Time' ***CONTAINS SPOILERS***

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by Finch, Sep 18, 2009.

1. CSI-AJ

CSI-AJ Lab Technician

Saw the episode and I think it lived up to its premise in that it was to be a back to basics look at how CSI Miami came to be. However some issues

-1997 Horatio was too similar to Current Horatio. Should have been more in line with classic Horatio from seasons 1-3.

-Even though it was Delko flashing back, he rarely appears but I'll say artistic license as a lot of flashback episodes have these problems..

-Calleigh was fun to watch in the past. She came off a little nerdy in some scenes and I mused that she needed a pair of glasses to give her the nerdy look

-Nice bit with Natalya in the past but where was Ryan?
    -Frank with the 'stache was great!! I think this was an inside joke to Rex Linn having one back then (He had a 'stache in Cliffhanger which came out around that time)

-BMW's with dead women in Florida's marshes... a recurring theme?
    -Jesse impressed me :)
    -Always great to see Alexx again

Other than the quibble with Horatio's character, I think this ep was great

Just a question which I need confirmation for. When Delko woke up, was that "Farewell Alexx" playing?

Rating: 4/5

2. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

So Ryan was giving blood? Was he giving blood for Eric or just donating while he was waiting for news on Eric?

3. CSI-AJ

CSI-AJ Lab Technician

I'm sure it was for Eric as the next scene had Frank doing likewise

4. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

That's cool. :) Did it show all of them giving blood or just those two?

5. CSI_Kat

CSI_Kat Addicted to Gutterville Moderator

That was what I forgot to mention....everyone looked good in the flashbacks except for Horatio. I thought they did a really bad job with his makeup. Looked to be about 3 inches deep and not blended very well.

Eric looked great though as did Natalia....there younger looks were great.

6. .speed.delko.

.speed.delko. Rookie

Did that seem to last just five seconds to anyone else or is it just me???

And what I meant about not seeing Ryan was that I was glad he didn't randomly appear in the flashbacks. We saw those in the present time who Eric interacted with back then but Ryan wasn't one of them and I don't recall Alexx being one of them. The only time Ryan and Alexx appeared was to show us what was happening in the present (Alexx conforting Calleigh and Ryan, apparently, donating blood). And Ryan's blood scene brought me back to when Delko was shot in season 5 for some reason :S

Frank was barely in it :( What was he at the time anyways??

Sorry, I'm really sick and although my mom told me to get to bed by 9 I ignored her and stayed up till 11.. So I was pretty much half asleep watching the episode :lol:

7. slower

slower Lab Technician

Hi everyone,

I am new here, but I have been reading your posts for quite sometime. I have a few short comments on the season premiere.

1. Unimpressed.
    2. Best scene: H at the hospital with Eric.
    3. Eddie Cibrian: Boring - Time will tell.
    4. Jonathan Togo: Could have done better with this extremely talented actor. I understand him not being in the flashback sequences, but he could at least have had some lines in the present.
    5. And finally: Writers continuity, continuity, continuity. (Please!!!)

8. InferiMaster

InferiMaster Dead on Arrival

This episode was so... blah.

Ryan only appeared a few seconds, Tripp had the weirdest look ever, Natalia appeared in the flashback but didn't talk, Jesse didn't impress me at all, Calleigh sounded so happy which irritated me (her voice was so happy and loud) and Horatio was... well, Horatio. I did like Alexx though.

I just hope the next episodes are better than this one and that Ryan, Natalia and Frank get some screentime. And that Jesse isn't super awesome right way because that would take any credibility from the character and make me hate it.

9. Florry86

Florry86 CSI Level Three

Yep, that was it :thumbsup:. Thank god they didn't edit it as they did during "And they're offered" when they added the voice as well :shifty:

10. Finch

Finch Funnier in Enochian Super Moderator

I'm arriving a tad late so forgive me if I say anything that's already been said. :p

They may have had different protocols back in the 90s. Perhaps the use of gloves wasn't a must because they were only just getting into DNA, trace, etc. so contamination probably wasn't a big problem. Of course, I may just be remembering the times wrongly because '97 doesn't seem that far away to me. :lol:

I really wish they'd completely re-vamp the opening credits. They're so poorly done. :/

Yep. If we're to believe what TPTB first put out in the episodes themselves, Megan headed the crime lab and had taken Speed under her wing. I would assume since the relationship between Horatio and Speed was so poignant in the first season, they worked together a lot before or during the time Calleigh arrived and then later, somewhere in between, Eric arrived, Megan had a sabbatical and Horatio was named the head of the lab in her absence.

At least that's my interpretation of what I've actually seen in season 1.

I really wish the premiere had gone with this but with the absence of Speed and Megan in the episode, they made up whatever they wanted to fit with Eric and Horatio's bromance. Not saying it was a horrible way to introduce the team because I did like the episode.

Yeah, I'm nitpicking again. I should just stop doing that with this show because expecting them to remember anything before season 5 is hopeless. :lol:

As for Jesse, I quite liked him.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2009
  11. CSI-AJ

CSI-AJ Lab Technician

No just those two. After Frank, it went back to 1997

Alexx appeared in a flashback doing an autopsy on the victim. Frank also appears in a flashback as Officer Tripp

Why did they use it in "And they're offed though?" seems out of place for that episode..

Sounds like they did a Ret-con

12. symbeline

symbeline Witness

I liked it more than I thought and I was surprised to see that Eric and H knew each other before Calleigh started at the lab. I guess the hospital scene makes more sense now, but it still feels strange that Horatio thinks that Eric is the only thing he has left, when he has two families.

Anyway, things I liked:

- The birth of the sunnies of justice. :cool:

- H's old hair and goofy grin: hilarious. David did a good job portraying young Horatio. He was as determined to do his job as he is now, but I sensed a more carefree attitude.

- Calleigh's old self. Love her. She was fun, cute and sweet but she wasn't afraid to speak her mind --just the Calleigh I've always loved. Endless drama doesn't suit the character. I hope this season we see tough Calleigh again. Emily is good both with drama and lighter moments, but Calleigh needs to be more balanced, just as she was in the first seasons.

- David and Emily's performances were really really good. I really believed I was back in '97, it felt like season 1 again. Plus, it was nice to see the duo working together and enjoying it. They've always had good chemistry, it's a shame we've been deprived of it for the last seasons.

- Alexx! She rocks.

- H's partner seemed a character from an old police procedural. And I liked how H didn't hold a grudge or confronted him at the end. The H we all love is more concerned about the victims and bringing them justice.

- Tripp with a moustache. No comment :lol:

- Old Eric back. I've missed him, even though he's never been my favourite character. I miss the banter he had with Speed and Calleigh and his flirting attitude. It was nice to see this side of Eric again. Oh, and I loved how Calleigh didn't flirt back, she just kinda rolled her eyes. It would've been unrealistic to see this two having romantic feelings in '97 when the show has established that their relationship has grown over the years from partners, to friends to lovers.

Things I could've lived without:

- Jesse: he was bland, uninteresting and had too much screentime. I know we had to meet the character but a couple of scenes were enough. I wish we had seen a little bit more of Natalia, she just appeared for a couple of minutes and didn't have much to do. What did H see in Natalia to call her years later? An explanation or some kind of hint would've been nice.

- Alexx new hairdo. It felt more like a 90's hair. Her usual long hair made more sense in the present and she could've had this new hair in the '97 flashbacks.

- Ryan: c'mon even Speed and Megan were mentioned. How about he walked by the lab with his dog or something like that? Or at least have something to say in the present? I don't care a lot about the character, but if feels odd he didn't have any presence at all. His scenes seemed like they were added as an afterthought

Last edited: Sep 22, 2009
  13. Lightrock

Lightrock Civilian

I thought this episode was great. 5/5
    Top 3
    The sunglasses scene at the end
    Tripp's moustache
    Eric meeting Calleigh

Bottom 3
    Lack of Ryan and Nat
    Calleighs voice (shouting)
    Lack of explanation of what happened to Eric

14. Wasabi Power

Wasabi Power CSI Level One

No, the guy playing the gardener was NOT the same guy who kidnapped Ryan in WISC, he just reminds me of him. :thumbsup: They could be related though.

15. addictedtoSpeed

addictedtoSpeed Judge

I was happy with the mention of Speed not once but twice last night. :hugegrin: I'm still disappointed that Rory turned down doing the episode, it could've been much better with him in it. :(

Horatio's hair in the flashback drove me crazy! And Eric got him those sunglasses out of the marshes? Ew! Also noticed Eric as TinMan like Ray.

Calliegh was very bubbly and I was shocked to see Natalia. I noticed that the girls flashbacks they had longer hair, lol! Frank's hair was too much and the mustache! :guffaw:

It all just seems so odd how it all worked together. Horatio knew Eric the tow truck driver that well? Eric just appears and brings Horatio sunglasses. I wasn't too fond of how the story was told since there was barely any continuity.

The way they did the flashback thing with the scenes from Eric's life was cool but why wasn't Speed's death included? Marisol I understand cause it was his sister but Speed was his best friend. Hmmm.... And yes, I know he's dead and gone but the whole point is that he was there for two seasons (and one episode) so he should have been more included.

Very disappointed with the lack of Ryan. Not impressed with Jesse. Was happy to see Jonathan ahead of him in credits. Hoping to see a lot more of Ryan this season as it goes on.