The 30 and Over Club

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by CSI_Kat, Aug 21, 2008.

1. blackflag

blackflag Chocoholic for Life Moderator

Posters on the wall - Star Wars and Star Trek, and my calendar was usaully one or the other. Also had autographed Star Trek pictures and some from other TV shows I watched (and believe me I had something I wouldn't miss on each night of the week! :lol:). That was really all I had room for because the front wall had a slanted ceiling so I didn't really have the wall space for more (constantly hit my head on that ceiling!).

Music I got into in the '80's and that's where I'm stuck. Def Leppard was probably my most favorite. Also went for Brian Adams, Hooters, Genesis, Extreme (local boys), Metallica, Survivor, Starship, Mr. Mister, Simple Minds, and a whole host of others. Also went in for any movie theme done by John Williams, could usually spot them long before I saw his name in the credits. :lol:

Susan

2. BabaOReilly

BabaOReilly Head of the Swing Shift Premium Member

Oh, with the exception of Duran Duran and The Police, I was "alternative" all the way! I love The Smiths (still do), The Cure, Depeche Mode, early U2, New Order and Joy Division, Bauhaus... and so on and so forth. I had a bit of a early punk leaning too, with Sex Pistols and The Clash, Dead Kennedy's, Circle Jerks, etc. I was a total music snob too. Ah, to be young and arrogant again! :lol:

3. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

me too! i'm a music fiend and i have been known to be incredibly snobby about it. i have been guilty of saying (if someone says they like a band): "well, they're crap now of course, now they've sold out - i liked them when they were playing in a shed, before they went corporate" :lol: we should start an elitist indie kid club and pose as if we were in the mixer!

i like the cure, bauhaus and depeche mode but i was never a huge fan, which is kind of strange as post punk was always one of my favourite kinds of music and i *love* men in make up :drool: (which explains my 15 year obsession with the manics!) - as far as post punk goes i'm more into durutti column, a certain ratio, joy division (and later new order) and so on (so basically everything on factory records!) as well as things like the fall, pere ubu and half man half biscuit. i love british punk - pistols, clash, undertones, SLF (ok those two are irish), buzzcocks, sham 69, magazine, uk subs etc. 80s jangly indie, madchester stuff and britpop are my favourites really - probably because i was at just the right age - i was 13/14 when the stone roses and happy mondays were huge, along with charlatans, early blur etc, and between 15 and 21 for britpop with oasis, blur, suede, pulp etc, and i love all things that influenced them like mccarthy, smiths, wedding present etc. i have some oddities - i love the who with a passion, and i really like the stones, creedence and some other 60s and 70s stuff - oh and i *adore* take that:wtf:

[/music geek]

4. BabaOReilly

Oh man, I loved the UK Subs. Man, you're taking me back. And I loved the Manchester sound too- I was in university when it hit, so spent a lot of drunken nights dancing to "Fools Gold"! :lol:

It's interesting to me how every decade seems to have a "sound", with a couple major streams of musical style running throughout. So far the 2000's haven't been that impressive! :lol:

5. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

i think my favourite uk subs track is warhead - it's so... topical. it was then and it kind of still is! i like songs like that, the ones that transcend political crises to apply to all of them :)

i was a bit younger for fool's gold, and stuck in boarding school which meant i was unable to get to gigs, but i made up for it after leaving school, 4-5 gigs a week and living in indie clubs (well, and gay clubs, particularly what i believe was the uk's first gay indie club) for years after leaving school so i had plenty of those nights too (step on is another amazing dancefloor classic!). one club i went to i knew the dj and he'd always play my requests. essentially it was a pop night but when i was there it was indie central :D

i really don't think any single city can out-do manchester for music, so many amazing bands are from there, it's like indie mecca (not bingo!)

no, the 2000s really haven't - i like one or two bands around now but mostly i hear them and think i'd rather listen to the originals :lol:

Last edited: Aug 8, 2009
  6. Dynamo1

Dynamo1 Head of the Swing Shift

Any Neil Diamond fans among the members? CBS has a concert special coming up this Friday at 8:00 pm (Eastern). It is a one-hour show with concert footage of recent performances and he gets to visit his home town.

7. BabaOReilly

How can you not love Neil Diamond? Classic stuff. I would love to see one of his concerts just to hear everyone sing along to Sweet Caroline. :)

When I was a kid, there were a couple albums that we always played for some reason at Christmas, and Neil Diamond's greatest hits was one of them. The other two were Elvis Sings Christmas, or something like that, and a Roger Whitaker album. :lol: Some weird stuff, but ah, the memories...

8. addictedtoSpeed

addictedtoSpeed Judge

I love Neil Diamond! (it's been awhile since I've been in this thread.) I've always wanted to see him in concert. 'Sweet Caroline' often gets stuck in my head, lol! What a voice that man has!

9. egeria

egeria This mod is Ready for the Laughing Gas!

Woah haven't posted here in ages!

Just reminded me that when I was in high school I was obsessed with my hockey team. Posters on the wall and every newspaper article I could get my hands on about my favourite players. My room was plastered with the stuff!

But, one wall was devoted to Phantom of the Opera posters and articles.

Musically speaking, I listened to a lot of 60's/70's music in high school. I loved Richie Valens, Buddy Holly and the Beatles.

And of course, I've been a fan of U2 ever since 1993. :D

10. Dynamo1

Dynamo1 Head of the Swing Shift

Now you hit a sore point with me for a couple of reasons.

First, when a worked for a bookstore for about a year, there were two weekends that the mall had a travelling Elvis exhibit that displayed stage costumes, guitar, a car he owned, and they sold pictures and stuff. Now, don't get me wrong. I liked most Elvis music. But the mall played it over the sound system from opening to closing each day. Eight hour shift listening to Elvis. Aaaaarrrrgggghhhh!

Second, I used to scan the AM radio band on cold winter nights, picking up stations from hundreds of miles away and making a list. So, around Christmas time, it didn't matter if I listened to a rock station (I'll have a blue Christmas without you...) to a country station (I'll have a blue...) to a jazz station (I'll have a...) to a pop station. No matter where I turned to on the dial, I would hear that same song. Aaaaarrrrgggghhhh!

11. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

how many of you made compilation tapes by recording songs off the radio and then using about 5 tdk cassettes to splice them together as a comp? it was always a real challenge to press record at the right time so you got as much of the track as possible but as little as the dj's chatter as possible. it was a really big thing here (even though it was illegal, *everyone* did it) - there was even a really famous genre of music here that stemmed from a set of music compilations (officially released) that were named after a kind of blank cassette. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C86_(music) - i love so many of the bands on there! it's a great sound!)

much as i love itunes and ipods and modern technology generally, i really do miss making comp tapes. i burn cds for my mates but it's not the same when you can do it with such precision! also making the covers has lost its charm - now you can print them off but when i was younger you'd have to try to copy the album cover in felt tip on a bit of paper stuck to the inside of a cereal packet :)

12. BabaOReilly

I was the compilation queen. I made a million mixed tapes for my pals. Now I just throw them on memory sticks! :lol:

A friend and I were just chatting about something funny... Did any of you manage to solve the Rubix Cube? I never had the patience! :lol:

13. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

i thought i was the comp queen. there should be a kind of alternative pageant thingie - who wants to be a beauty queen when there are more important things in life like music and comp tapes!?

i finished it once, but then undid it and couldn't (be arsed to) do it again.

14. BabaOReilly

^^^ But did you "cheat" and use the book, or did you just solve it all by yourself? I couldn't even do it using the book! Hah! :lol:

15. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

^ i didn't know there was a book!