Season 10 *Spoiler Lab* Discussion P1

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by Destiny, Jul 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PraetorCorvinus

PraetorCorvinus Moderator Moderator

I was very upset hearing about LLS's departure. Although I hadn't yet made an opinion of her, I feel like now I'll never get the chance. While Sara was never my favorite character, I was happy to see her return. If it's at the expense of this interesting new character, however, than I'm no longer happy. And to hear that these episodes are going to be focused on Sara:scream: Like many others, I feel Marg, George and Eric are being robbed. They've been loyal throughout. I guess it's true: no good deed goes unpunished. Now Lauren is gone, and I'm sad. I'm waiting to see if this'll be my last season of watching CSI.

2. electra

electra Pathologist

I am not exactly sad that Riley is leaving but I just feel like she could have been good if given the chance.All I can think now is Why Sara and not Grissom? He is the one I want returning.

3. DJRideout

DJRideout Following the trace Moderator

Apparently I had missed the post, amongst the talks of Sara returning, that Laura Lee Smith will not be returning for the tenth season. Such a shame, because personally speaking, Riley was a character I was really beginning to like... and I thoroughly enjoyed hers and Greg's interactions with one another. As someone already stated, the character had great potential, but got lost in the mist of all that happened last season. It's a shame that we won't get to see the character develop.

Now, once again, personally speaking, if this is to leave a spot open and Sara is only scheduled at this time, for a selected number of episodes...I wonder if this will be the opening for the talented Liz Vassey?

4. dandylion

dandylion Hit and Run

If and when Sara goes again and a spot is open, all I really hope is that they don't bring on another character. Not again. I would much rather see people shifted around and promoted than have to get used to someone new.

5. blackflag

blackflag Chocoholic for Life Moderator

I have 2 problems with how Sara's returning:

1. Last time I heard Ecklie was made undersheriff. Ecklie's been trying to have Sara fired since at least season 5 (Nesting Dolls). He's going to ask for her recommendation? Shouldn't he be asking Catherine, she is the supervisor of grave now.

2. Grissom was supposed to be burnt out for those 4 episodes in season 7. If you compare Grissom then to Sara in Goodbye, Goodluck, Sara wasn't just burnt out, she was close to suicidal when she left. She didn't seem all that better off last season in whichever episode it was (I don't remember the title :alienblush:) where she said (and I'm paraphrasing) this was why she couldn't do the job anymore. We're supposed to belive that she's all better now and can come back and handle the job of a CSI.

Susan

6. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

The Riley character was never the problem. The problem was that they never developed the character properly. That is on tptb (writers, producers, etc) NOT on the actress. She did the absolute best with what she was given. She was NOT given a chance (or at least not a fair one) because as soon as LF was brought in the Riley character was shoved aside, got no development and very little screentime.

But you know what? I'm so completely happy for Lauren now because now she can get on another show whose writers will not shove her into the background for another character and will actually give a crap about her, her character and her fans.

I like Sara, but I adore Riley. She brought out Greg's funny side again and for that I was grateful to her. Now Greg is gonna go back to being too serious because he won't have someone else like him to play off of :(

I wouldn't even mind having Sara and Riley both there, but this whole thing of Sara leaving, just walking out the way she did and being allowed to get her job back at the drop of a hat is so freaking unrealistic. Couldn't they find something better for the character? A better storyline? This one makes no sense and it's starting to feel like the writers/rest of tptb are pulling this stuff out of thin air. The character and actress deserves better than that, as do her fans.

I almost wish George and Eric would leave now so I could stop watching the show. At this point, they're the only reasons I'm continuing to watch even if I only get to see a glimpse of them per episode.

I fear that Tptb are digging their own show's grave. These latest "stunts" are probably going to backfire on them big time. I am so offended, hurt that tptb would take a show that I once loved and turn it into what its becoming now. I feel so betrayed. :lol:

Totally agree. Actually they all are. Eric, George, Marg, etc. They are all too good for CSI. They all deserve to be treated better than they are being treated. Tptb are digging themselves a bigger hole by the minute.

As much as it pains me to say, as of right now, Vegas is no longer my favorite CSI (even if Greg and Nick are still near and dear to my heart and always will be). Now Miami is my favorite CSI show. See what you've done now, ptb? I've always been just kind of neutral where NY is concerned, otherwise Vegas would now be in third place.

I am highly disappointed in the decisions tptb have been making as of late. This show has become a shadow of its former self and I'm sorry to say. And I think a lot of fans feel that the show started to go downhill long before Billy, Jorja and Gary left.

I completely agree. They were way too focused on Ray and ignored many of the other characters, not just Riley.

Just last week I said I wanted Vegas to last longer than its spinoffs. Well, not anymore. I for one now will be freaking happy to see it go. I will be glad to see Marg and George and Eric and all the other wonderful actors getting something better with writers/producers/show runners who actually give a flip about their characters.

They promised Riley would have a secret, interesting, dark past or something, but they didn't deliver because they got to blinded by the other new character. Riley got NO development at all because they put all of their effort and focus into the Langston character, period. That's all it comes down to.

I definitely agree that it wasn't the actress' fault. How can you show any insight into your character when you have practically no lines or screentime? :lol: They didn't give her a chance to shine. They didn't trust her or the other actors enough. They put every ounce of their trust into the other newbie whom they only brought in because they didn't trust the remaining cast to carry the show. I feel bad for Marg, Eric and George because their bosses apparently have absolutely no faith in them.

I don't think any of the actors/actresses are to blame for any of the things that tptb have done or any decisions they have made. I don't think insulting Lauren or Jorja is going to accomplish anything. It's not about which actress/character is better than the other. It's about the decisions that tptb are making and how they are utterly ruining what was once a really good show with outrageous storylines that make no sense.

They should have just left well enough alone and let the remaining cast try to carry the show on their own without any new characters for at least one season and then if the ratings sucked, then the following season bring in new characters. But, they should have developed ALL of the characters. If they put out there that a new character is going to have an interesting past and then do not deliver that storyline, that has nothing to do with the actress' acting abilities or whether or not the character is boring. There was no way for the Riley character to be interesting without any decent material. And decent material she was not given.

Actually, I'm glad they wrote her out now rather than keep her on and shove her in the background and/or reduce her to nothing but another character's romantic interest (like the NY writers have done with Lindsay). So, there is the silver lining. :lol:

I totally agree. It is a really iffy storyline idea. I think the writers are making a mistake with giving her that particular storyline. They'd be better off just having one character wake up from a year long coma and say the whole year/year a half from the time Sara left was all a horrible nightmare. :lol: And Warrick is still alive, Grissom retired, but is still around and Sara's still a CSI. :lol: I mean as corny as that would be to pull a Dallas, I think it would be a lot more believable than Sara being asked back as a CSI after the way she left. Not that I blame her for leaving. Some people can only take seeing so much death day in and day out before they decide they can't do it anymore. I honestly probably wouldn't have been able to hold out as long as she did. :lol:

I completely agree. It's totally unrealistic.

Totally agree. That goes for the rest of the cast as well.

If they have to write Riley out, I hope they at least explain why the character is leaving and not just have her there one day and gone the next like countless other characters. ::cough:: Sofia ::cough:: I hope they don't kill her off or have her character get fired. I hope they just say she had a family emergency and had to go back home to St. Louis. And I hope we at least get a goobye hug between Greg and Riley. I will miss their interactions. They had the potential to be the next great friendship. They were a lot alike and really meshed well together on cases. It's too bad tptb decided to focus too much attention on the other new character and Riley got lost in the dust. Too bad indeed.

I feel the same way. Though honestly, I will most likely continue to watch as long as Eric is there and George is there. I'm loyal to *them* not to the showrunners.

Totally agree. I'm very sad now. :(

Now see, if they weren't planning on developing Riley's character then they should have just never written the character (as much as I love her) and should have made Wendy a CSI instead. Maybe this coming season Wendy will become a CSI and Sara will only be filling in until Wendy is able to. And then if Sara/Jorja decides to stay, but doesn't want to be a CSI because she doesn't want the burn out again, maybe she can become the new DNA analyst. Greg can train her. Since Sara was Greg's CSI mentor, he can be her DNA mentor. I think that would be kind of cute. :lol: And it's not anymore unrealistic than what they're planning on doing now. :lol:

Lauren, good luck, hon. I hope you find a great gig with writers and show runners who will treat you with the respect you deserve. I'm sorry that you got such terrible disrespect with the CSI powers that be, but hopefully you'll get something much much better in the very near future.

They should just put Wendy in the CSI spot if Sara goes again. :lol: Rather than have a new character we'll all have to get used to (though I loved Riley from the very first exchange she had with Greg and brought back his funny again) only to lose the following season because tptb are too wishy-washy. :lol: We already are familiar with Wendy, so it wouldn't be that big of a deal. We'd only have to get used to her being in a different occupation (slightly).

Totally agree. Bringing back a fan favorite may help for the first couple of shows, but if the storylines are lacking, the fans will be packing. :lol:

7. Wasabi Power

Wasabi Power CSI Level One

Here, can I get my point of view out there just so I'm not profiled?
    :thumbsup:

I like Jorja, I like Sara. I don't love either one, but I respect the actress and character. They are invaluable people that cannot be paralleled, and I have no problem with either one of them.

However, it is the neglect of people like Greg, and the crazy rotation of the same gene pool of people that is truly maddening and has me ticked. But none of it actually has to do with any particular person, actor or character. It's just the way things are being handled! I still feel that Sara is returning and being focused upon at the expense of neglected characters, but it's not Jorja's doing. ^_^

8. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

I totally agree with you. Though as long as Sara gets more focus than Ray, I'll be at least a little more content. He's gotten way too much focus (I don't care if he's the "star", so was Grissom and even he didn't get as much focus as Ray has gotten). I don't blame any of the actors/actresses for any of it. It's all the show runners' doing. They are the ones to blame here. Period.

9. Speedystokesgirl

Speedystokesgirl Judge

Ok, if it's true that tptb actually called Jorja, it's not her fault, but she could've said 'no' and to focus on the other characters. They been shoved to the background since Sara walked out of the bathroom and now that both Sara and Grissom are gone, they bring Sara back and the other characters still get shoved into the background.

It's time to focus on Catherine, Greg, Nick, hell even the labrats.

But the fact she is coming back as a CSI and the Ecklie is going to hire her. :rolleyes: Nope, don't think so.

And she is going to make Catherine understand that she needs to bring the team together and make them more cohesive? :wtf: This coming from someone who just walked off the team not caring how it would affect the team and now she's a team expert. Tptb are nuts.

Then I'm going to ask this questions. If they're shorthanded why isn't Wendy put in the field like she was suppose to be. I, personally, didn't want that, like I didn't want Greg in the field (he's just not as funny in the field), but geesh, at least that would make more sense and more realistic.

So when the 5 episodes are up, does this mean we have to more story lines leading up to her LAST episode, AGAIN? Let me guess, the season premiere and finale will focus on her.

You know I hope that everything we're complaining about isn't true, like the Catherine, Nick, Greg, etc, being shoved to the background, but I don't think it is.

This just shows Marg, Eric, George, the rest of the cast and all of us that all tptb care about is Sara, Grissom and Langston and well, we'll give your characters some screentime, maybe.

I hope that Marg, Eric and George are making their feelings known on the set, because I can't believe this sits well with them (not about Jorja, but tptb). Of course, they would never be allowed to say anything. Guess we'll find out when they're contract talks start in January (I think they start then).

10. happyharper13

happyharper13 Pathologist

Ugh. Just read the news. I've been going back and forth for a while, but right now I think I'm done watching CSI.

I absolutely cannot believe that they're getting rid of Riley. I do not want more GSR, I do not want more Sara Sidle and I do not want more Ray Langston. I love Catherine (and the Wendy that should have been; i.e. the one that was independent of Hodges and all of his immaturity), but Greg and Riley were the only reasons I kept watching for S9, and, knowing the route TPTB have been taking, everything will be about Sara, Nick and Ray, and I am way too tired of all three of those characters. It would be worth watching if they weren't turning Wendy into a tool for Hodges' character development, but, seeing as she almost certainly will continue to be one, I am so done with this show. Thank you, GSR, Ray and Wedges, for ruining a show that I really loved. Goodbye. :(

TPTB chose Sara, a character that has already had way more than her share of time in the spotlight, along with a romance that was stale and, IMO, rather disgusting, over a fresh new character. I love Riley, and I'm not going to forgive TPTB for choosing GSR and Sara over her.

I was really starting to love Riley/Greg as a ship, and I hate how they dangled this new possibility of a better team in front of the audience only to take it away and replace it with Sara again. I cannot handle that kind of let-down from my favorite show. They never gave Riley a chance. Sara wasn't even a regular during Season 9, and yet they still gave her development and drama than they gave Riley, or even Greg.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2009
  11. PrincessJ88

PrincessJ88 Coroner

Here's a thought, instead of bringing Sara back why not revisit the idea of Wendy taking the field test and becoming a CSI?

I'm sad to hear the LLS is leaving because I was just beginning to warm up to her and wish we had had a chance to learn more about her.

12. Destiny

Destiny Still Sanity Challenged! Premium Member

There is a rule for that, post one, paragraph three. "We need to keep in mind so that we may maintain a balance in this and future lab threads, where the bickering, arguing and snarky comments are kept to a minimum or out altogether."
    Paragraph Four "all arguing and uncontrolled fighting does is waste energy and take time away from the discussions, no one thing should dominate this discussion thread other then getting the spoilers and discussing them rationally. Ignoring the baiting and negative commentary is precisely what is expected of those wishing to participate in this thread and Forum. If one cannot do so then a time out and away is probably the best thing all the way around until one is able to do the necessary."

Also, The rules Opinions & Arguments: Everyone is entitled to their opinions and to disagree with the opinions, your not entitled to attack someone for having the opinion, this is NOT a debate thread for which you can argue about things.
    Sometimes opinions might rile some which can lead to arguments to uncontrolled debates or outright flaming. The best thing to do is to take a deep breath, calm down, back away and agree to disagree and let it go, you really are not getting anywhere so why continue all that will get you is a gentle reminder or an official warning. Be mindful that if you are not involved in any argument don't jump in it only makes it worse, contact Myself or Smokey via PM or click the NM (Notify Mod) Button."

One right/wrong, does not a right or wrong make. Meaning just because others say it doesn't mean its fine for them or anyone. You started your post (that is being complained about) out as "Thank gawd, she sucked, no acting skills and no personailty/boring, and talked like she was reading her lines from a cue-card. a DUD." That is referring to the character? why would the character have acting skills, that would be the actress (in several minds). But okay you later went on to say you didn't mean the actress. and now saying you hear it all the time about Sara/Jorja again that doesn't make it right for you or anyone. I stepped in on that with Jorja/Sara, and I am again.

------------

EVERYONE! Pay ATTENTION I posted this on page three. I posted for folks to Chill out on page five.
    I am sick of repeating myself time after time, thread after thread, and year after year. ON TOPIC, about "This thread is for the discussions, opinions regarding the future "episodes, story-lines and character spoilers as it relates to the current season in the US." This thread has nothing to do with the actor/actresses themselves, ship discussions in general, or past episodes each of these have their own respective threads and or forum." Now if the spoiler of the character (ie Jorja's Sara is coming in, Laurens Character is leaving) that is one thing, otherwise if its just about said actor/actress then as stated above it goes in their respective threads for discussion.

13. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

I've been tooling around reading comments from fans on other CSI sites and have found NO negative comments about the events that have transpired, Riley/Lauren leaving, and Jorja/Sara returning just positive rhetoric about the Sara's return, and full of joy, thrillled and gleeful;) and most are glad that Riley is leaving. So why is everyone so mad/sad, and basically p....off? only on here? I don't understand, The writers know what their doing and this is a beautiful thing. I'll bet Sara will dig deep and help the team in their efforts of the serial killer... This will be a glory season full of wonderful surprises~be happy! OH sorry Destiny I didn't see your post till I was done, maybe we were posting at the same time, if mine is offensive I'll remove it let me know?

14. vegaslights

vegaslights Brute

Again, that's not everyone you're speaking for. I have read numerous comments alone in this thread that have said they were upset Riley/Lauren was leaving, thinking it was a mistake to get rid of her, etc. Please do not speak for everyone because in the end, you will find yourself wrong.

15. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

Depends on the website. If it is the one I'm thinking of, it's pro-Jorja..so of course pro-Jorja sites are happy she's back.

This is a CSI website, this is a website devoted to all the characters, DW, and I know this may come as big shock, but there are other characters on the show other than Grissom and Sara. They are Nick, Greg, Catherine, Brass, Hodges, Wendy, Henry, Mandy, Ecklie, Vartan, Vega..and once upon a time, there was a wonderful character named Warrick-whose only only plot was being murdered!

And as for the writers knowing what they are doing? I have my suspicions as to that..I think there's more this Jorja returning than meets the eye. This probably means that a. they caved to a very vocal minority and b. this is the last season of CSI. B is just my opinion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.