Nick Song Fic Ch #8 - "Angel"- Now up!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by Smokey, Apr 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lostladyknight

lostladyknight Pathologist

Re: Nick Fic Song Challenge #3 - "The Change" - Authors Revealed!

You know Egeria I had a very similar reaction to the one you were afraid you'd get oh... a year and a half ago when I wrote a fic involving Warrick's death. See, I kinda saw it coming with huge shiny neon signs froma mile away. I believe I started saying "Geez, I'm going to miss Warrick when he dies" back in early Dec. of 07. Because, let's face it, the writers gave us pretty much all the clues and then some. Plus they kinda had a pattern and when you took Gary Dourdan into consideration... well, that left very little else where options were concerned.

So, like any other CSI fan/Fanfic writer I did the one thing I knew how to prepare myself. I started writing fanfic. You'd think that'd be the only logical thing to do. But, I guess people didn't like it. I was only sharing most of the pieces with my friends--but even some of them hated the idea with a real passion. I can think of two occasions, with two different friends, where my friendships were almost ended because they didn't like me for writing Warrick's death. One of them, to this day, is still only hanging on by a thread.

People simply can't help but be very passionate about their characters. And they don't handle them dying very well. I know I was sorta "play mean" with you about your piece. Make no mistake, I loved it. But, I'm one for character death anyway. You know how many times I've killed Greg for my own purposes? Nick? ALL of my OC's have an expiration date.

People die and tragedy makes a good story. I say bravo. I really did love it.

2. Smokey

Smokey Nickaholic Moderator

If there were no other proof of that fact, read some of the threads here on Talk! :lol: People very definitely have their passions about their characters and what goes on with them....ships, death, etc. And they have their preferences when it comes to fan fics about their fave characters.

That's why on FF and other sites there are "warnings" in the summaries so you know if it contains something you don't like to read about. Then you don't have to read about it, be it a ship with someone you don't like, violence or language, AU, character death, etc.

But it doesn't make a story "bad" because it contains something you don't like. It just makes it not your preferred type of story to read. I can appreciate great writing, even if it's a topic I'm not comfortable with.

Me? I don't normally read fics where Nick dies. That's just me. But just because I don't care for that subject matter doesn't mean there aren't great stories written about it. And Egeria's was one of those. :)

That's what I think is great about this thread and this challenge. We're all able to find positive things to say about each other's work. I think it's really helped too. I've seen great improvement in some of the writing, and as for me...well, I'm learning how to be more concise and get things said in fewer words. :lol:

3. Nicksfriend

Nicksfriend Police Officer

Well, if hadn't been for this song fic challenge I would have never read a death fic, but I did and I loved the writing, but egeria does have a way with words that captivates me. I am not a death person ...see it every day in my profession, it is heartbreaking so when I look for fic I do avoid the death theme.....and I probably wouldn't have read stories about dogs or cats, it just isn't me but I have truly enjoyed reading the ones on this thread,I do belive you guys are changing me from Nick hurt/ comfort to OTHER POSSIBILITIES.:)

I think it is fair to say that this challenge has focused me as a writer, opened my mind up to new possibilities and with that said I hope to read more of your stories.

Oh Yeah, bravo on the story writing also...each week it just gets better and better!

Isn't it time for another challenge Smokey?????:)

4. KFK

KFK Witness

You know Smokey and Egeria I have to agree with you both, not every story is going to be a hit for everyone. Good golly I caught hell for injurying Nick in my But A Chance story on FF. You would have thought I committed a mortal sin.

Fanfic is just like television, if you don't like what you're watching on tv you change the channel; if you don't like what you're reading on fanfic change to another story.

It's just like with the show, and people suddenly can't stand to watch it anymore. They don't take into consideration that Nick's character may have been written into more episodes if GE didn't hurt his back. I've never been a fair weather fan, I will continue watching.

Hate to complain, and if I offended anyone I apologize in advance.:)

Kell

5. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

Oh I'm not a fair weather fan. Honestly, I was a devoted CSI fan for four years.

For me it's been an accumulation of several things which I won't go into on this post because but those of you who know me well, know what I'm getting at. There just comes a point where you realize it's only a show and it's not worth the stress and strain that I've been under in the fandom.

But I probably will write for Nick for a while yet until I can find something else to latch onto and enjoy, but the enjoyment is gone for me.
    And I do enjoy these songfic exercises very much and am glad it's here.

6. lostladyknight

lostladyknight Pathologist

I really loved this challenge. It's a great way to keep me comfortable and writing CSI fanific. So much of the time these days I'm forcing myself to write for CSI because I'm committed to stories.

It was nice to do it for fun again. :) Can't wait for the next one.

7. Nicksfriend

Nicksfriend Police Officer

I think you read something that was not there Kell if this is in reference to my post....never said I stopped watching or will stop watching...just not writing:(. Wanted to clarify and make sure nobody is putting words into my post. I appreciate your loyalty but not everybody is as enthused with all the changes, especially not me and I truly could not tolerate GSR, it is all the other changes. But I remain a loyal fan:), but a lot of people who don't write don't know, don't understand how harsh the fandom can be sometimes, that is why I consider this a safe place to write. The people here have always been cordial and kind, never a harsh word towards me as a writer and it is and will always be appreciated.

Just wanted to make sure I was really understood. Thanks!:)

8. Jacqui

Jacqui Police Officer

First of all - this was a really great round! There are stronger submissions from some authors, which is so great to see!

Well, since this was my song pick, I suppose I ought to write a bit about how/why I picked the song. I listen to a lot of country music so I was dreading having to choose a song a bit - a lot of country songs tell stories and it's hard to get inspired from such cut-and-dried lyrics. But Garth has long been my favorite, so I figured if anyone would have something for me, he would :D And I was not disappointed - The Change was right there at the top of my iTunes list, and I thought it was perfect.

Brian essentially wrote itself. The image that played in my head was of a formally-attired Nick with tears rolling down his cheeks. His mom was in the picture, straightening his tie or something and giving him a lecture about how he couldn't get so involved because a heart could only break so many times. But as I wrote, Officer Daniels appeared and there was no need for Mrs. Stokes. Which is good, because I'm not sure I could've written her as stern and cynical.

9. egeria

egeria This mod is Ready for the Laughing Gas!

Jacqui, the song you picked was amazing. My jaw literally dropped when I read it because it was soooo Nick!! :D

Just popping in to say Smokey's been having internet problems but hopefully she'll have that fixed tomorrow. She'll post the challenge once she's back.

10. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

I just wanted everyone to know, I posted an expanded version of this story on fan fiction, it's rated K+ so it's okay to post a direct link.

11. Smokey

Thanks for your patience everyone! I'm back! And wow...did I suffer from withdrawal symptoms! Happy to be back!

So...first person to respond to this post with a number between 1 and 8...that will be our next song inspiration....pick a number between 1 and 8. :)

12. Jacqui

Jacqui Police Officer

6! And welcome back!!!

13. Smokey

Re: Nick Fic Song Fic Challenge

Thank you, Jacqui!

So, before I announce the song choice, here are the guidelines. I've decided to up the word limit to 2,500. Keep in mind, it can be as short as you like, but no more than 2,500 words (minus the title and summary).

Remember, everyone reading the thread is welcome to submit a story! :)

And now the guidelines...PLEASE read them all carefully! If you have any questions, let me know here or via PM/email. Thanks! :)

1. Word limit on the fic is 2,500. Please remember to give the fic a title and a short summary (neither are counted in the word limit).

2. The only restrictions on the content of the fic are that Nick must be the main character and that the story must be based on the song lyrics (below). You can base your fic on the idea of the song, whole or in part, use some of the lyrics...whatever you want as long as the song is your inspiration. The fics will be presented later by way of a link, so there are no worries about mature content.

3. Please do not post your fic or any links here! Send your fic to me at the email in my profile (or you can PM it to me if it's short enough). If you email it, you can put it in the body of the email or send it as an attachment. Please put the title of your fic in the subject line of the PM or email. Deadline for submissions is Saturday, August 8, at midnight EST.

4. Submissions should be anonymous! Please do not share your story with anyone else or tell anyone which one is yours once they are posted!

5. If you would like to have someone beta (proofread) your story, please choose someone who is NOT a participant in this challenge. Or if you like, I will be happy to beta your story when you send it to me. :) Just let me know when you send it.

6. Once all of the stories are in, we will publish the links to them and everyone can start reading! [​IMG]

7. After you have read the fics, you can post feedback for them. I will post the feedback guidelines when we get the stories up.

And the song choice for the 4th Nick Fic Song Challenge is "The Eleventh Commandment" by Collin Raye and was submitted by GregNickRyanFan! Be warned, it's intense...good fodder for some great angst tho, I say! I've always liked Collin Raye, and it's a great song.

If you'd like to hear it, here are a couple of links to it...one on his website and one on You Tube. And here are the lyrics...

The Eleventh Commandment
    Written by Karen Taylor-Good & Lisa Aschmann
    Performed by Collin Raye

She hears his heavy breathing in the dark
    His footsteps coming closer down the hall
    She's so ashamed, she's daddy's secret love
    She wants to cry, she wants to die, but he can't get enough

The bruises on his face will go away
    Mom keeps him home from school till they fade
    She's sorry he was born and tells him so
    He takes it in, he hangs his chin, he ducks another blow

Did God overlook it
    What ought have been written
    The eleventh commandment
    Honor thy children

He cries for hours, cries and never stops
    He shakes so hard his little cradle rocks
    He'll never have the chance to be brand new
    He'll never walk, he'll never talk, he's addicted too

Did God overlook it
    The eleventh commandment
    Honor thy children

Thou shalt not kill
    Thou shalt not steal
    Thou shalt not take the Lord's name in vain
    Thou shalt not cause thy children pain

God does not overlook it
    The eleventh commandment
    Honor thy children
    Honor thy children

Remember, the most important thing is to be creative and have fun!! Try to think outside the box...do something out of the ordinary with it...use your imagination! And once again let me say, anything goes. You can ship, not ship, slash, not slash, angst, humor, romance, smut...whatever you want. We are just having fun here and being creative. All stories are welcome and encouraged. :)

Now start writing! :)

14. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

Re: Nick Fic Song Challenge #4 - "The Eleventh Commandment"- Now Open!

Yay! I just got an idea for a fic earlier today that would go perfect with this song. I didn't write it down, but it's still in my head (for now lol). I might try to work on it tonight.

I changed the title of the thread for you, Smokey. :)

15. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

Re: Nick Fic Song Challenge #4 - "The Eleventh Commandment"- Now Open!

Holy crap..the timing of this song..is so..amazing!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.