The Challenge Guide Thread - Updated May 1/11

Re: The Challenge Guide Thread *Updated Feb 14/09*

Here are the guidelines for entering into advanced. If you feel you do not meet these, you might consider beginners.:

1. Icon makers who have been at it for six months or more.

2. Knowledge of coloring, textures and brushes is wide.

3. Consider how many tutorials you have gone through, they make you a heck of a lot better. The more you followed, the more towards advanced you have become. Also consider how much you have used them since you followed the tutorial.

4. Look at the compliments you get. If someone seems amazed at your icon, and uses it without requesting it, that’s saying something. Consider how many times this has happened to you.

5. This is the most important one. If you have won Three or more challenges in one particular area of art (icons, banners, ect) then move up to advanced, give someone else a chance to win beginners :D.

6. Take what you know about fanart, and compare it to what you have seen. Where would you put yourself?

7. This one probably trumps number 5. Use your absolute best judgment. Put yourself in the category you truly think you should be in, and if you aren’t sure, pm someone who can help you.

Note: For example, if you enter an advanced challenge for an icon, it does not mean you have to enter the same level for a wallpaper challenge, or a banner challenge, ect. Use your judgment for each category, and use the guidelines to help you pick a category.

If anyone has any questions, you can pm Cinegirl or myself, and we would be absolutely happy to answer you as soon as we can. Also if you have any suggestions, you can post them here or PM them.

Happy (insert art canvas here) making! :D
I've won 3 beginner challenges. Does this mean that I must enter as Intermediate with Advanced as my back-up level, or can beginners still be my back-up if I don't think I'm ready for advanced yet? I've only been making icons for about a month and I have no idea how to use brushes, at least aside from the standard round pack, so I don't feel very ready for advanced.

I've won 3 beginner challenges. Does this mean that I must enter as Intermediate with Advanced as my back-up level, or can beginners still be my back-up if I don't think I'm ready for advanced yet? I've only been making icons for about a month and I have no idea how to use brushes, at least aside from the standard round pack, so I don't feel very ready for advanced.

You don't have to enter Advanced as a backup if you are not comfortable doing so. Intermediate with the backup of Beginners is fine, no worries there. Absolutely never enter a category that makes you feel uncomfortable, it doesn't make for fun times in a challenge. Hope that helps. :)

Brushes are tricky...I've only been using them a year and some still allude me as to what to do with them. You are not alone!

Challenge Break!

Ladies and Gentlemen, as many of you have probably noticed, challenge entries have been way down lately. Because of this, Meg and I have decided that it's time for another challenge break.

As always, we are not doing this as a punishment. We just want to give everyone a break. What you do with this break is, of course, up to you :lol:

This break will last for One Month. Yes, a whole month. An exact date will be announced closer to the actual time. As always, the challenges that are currently open will be allowed to finish. Please do not start any new challenges at this time.

The only challenges that will be going on will be the welcome banner challenges.

Thanks for understanding!

Challenge Break!

Ladies and Gentlemen, as many of you have probably noticed, challenge entries have been way down lately. Because of this, Meg and I have decided that it's time for another challenge break.

As always, we are not doing this as a punishment. We just want to give everyone a break. What you do with this break is, of course, up to you :lol:

This break will last for One Month. Yes, a whole month. An exact date will be announced closer to the actual time. As always, the challenges that are currently open will be allowed to finish. Please do not start any new challenges at this time.

The only challenges that will be going on will be the welcome banner challenges.

Thanks for understanding!

Read and understood, thanks for this break....I'm sure lots of people will have the good rest they need :thumbsup:

Warning, stupid question ahead. :eek:

So I can still put up the voting?

What a coincidence :lol:
I was going to do my break this month!

Warning, stupid question ahead. :eek:

So I can still put up the voting?

As always, the challenges that are currently open will be allowed to finish
Yes you can still put up the voting Hush :)

Read and Understood. Hopefully people will be fresh and ready after to all join in :)

I have a question, does this count the Misc challenges ie the misc icon challenge and the lims?

As those challenges aren't in our forum, we really have no say over them, so no, it doesn't include the Misc challenges.

Question :D The break started at July 28, so we still have 6 days of break, right? You know, I'm kinda missing the challenges :alienblush:

Oh my goodness, is the month almost up already? :lol: Kat and I will let you know when you can start posting challenges again. Soon, I promise!

Back