Eric/Calleigh romance - why we dislike it. **spoilers**

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by mjszud, Feb 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Delynn

Delynn CSI Level One

First, Welcome, kljmiami!

Good heavens! RL interfers for 24 hours and you guys go wild! I'll never catch up. :lol: :lol:

Okay, just a few thoughts here. First, MJ, the pizza reference was too perfect!

I agree with you, Flo, that Calleigh should have taken the photo of Sharova to Horatio immediately. But again, she has been leaving Horatio out of the loop for so long that I think she's forgotten she has a superior. Granted, part of that might be Horatio's fault. He hasn't exactly been a hands on supervisor in the last couple of seasons, but that doesn't excuse her from not doing her job properly.

OTOH, Calleigh actually took Eric to task and didn't give him a free pass when she saw that picture. She questioned him about his contact with his father and didn't take him at his word when he answered her. A brief hint of the old Calleigh? ;) (Or just wishful thinking on my part! :lol:)

I also agree with you, MJ. If Eric was lying, I don't believe it was to protect Calleigh. I think it was to protect his father. I really don't understand how quickly Eric has transformed into the dutiful, loving, protective son. Calleigh is right. Eric doesn't KNOW this guy and yet he's willing to risk supposedly the love his his life, his job, and his life for this guy. WTF! :rolleyes:

I think that you're right, nwolfson22. TPTB have devoted too much time and effort to this E/C ship to let it sink now. I think, unfortunately, that season 8 will contain a lot more E/C drama (Thank God ABC renewed Castle! ;)). I also agree that the writers don't know what they want to do here. I think they've written themselves into a corner with these two and they don't know how to get out of it.

I really don't think they were prepared for the number of people who DON'T like these two together. And I really believe that TPTB's answer to that was if we give them more cutsie moments these people will just HAVE to love E/C. But it's not working. More and more people are getting more and more annoyed.

I'm with those who never saw this as a romance developing for 7 years. To me they've been pussy-footing around with it since season 5 and then we got it shoved down out throat full force this season.

nwolfson22, I think I have to agree with MJ about the IAB thing. I think the continuity is going to get dropped in favor of convenience on that one. Wouldn't be the first time. The fraternization policy will be non-existent when it comes to E/C.

silentdisco, you are too funny! :lol: Eric running through the lab singing about his love for Calleigh would be hysterical. Maybe some kind of spoof. Any of you YouTube people up for it! :lol:

Wasabi Power, I think you're right. If the relationship were ever to come out into the open, everything the characters, together or seperately, would come back to the relationship. It does now. Even when they are in scenes that don't have "shippy" moments, people who aren't shippers are still annoyed. Because we have been so overwhelmed with E/C and the relationship has been such predominate storyline on the show it's virtually impossible to divorce the two.

A lot of us see E/C as a seperate unit now. There is E/C and then everyone else on the team. When I see Calleigh working with Ryan, my immediate thought is, "Where's Eric?" I have a hard time seperating the two because they have so closely tied them together they've become one. That probably makes some shippers happy, but it's not what I watch the show to see. :(

Okay, gotta run, but more later when I have a little more time to catch up! I just LOVE reading all the wonderful stuff you guys are writing! :)

2. SomewhereApart

SomewhereApart Prime Suspect

Y'know, I ship these two, but I think they've lost some of what made them good this season -- ironic, considering its the season where they finally hooked them up. I can't put my finger on it, but they seem off. Especially this week -- and not because they were fighting. Something in their scenes this week just seemed off, like the energy was low. I did like Calleigh pointing out that HE doesn't know his dad (because really, wtf? Have we even seen Sharova since Sink or Swim? When did Eric and his biodad go from throwing punches and reluctantly doing the right thing to phone convos and risking your life and your job to save "family"?), but I think the reason that moment worked so well for me was because it snapped the energy up for a moment.

I like that they had a disagreement; I thought the disagreement was stupid. Calleigh *should* have given him a heads-up about his dad, I think that was smart and the right thing for even a friend to do, much more a girlfriend. But she should have walked away from that convo with Eric and handed that photo to Horatio. This -- the covering each other's asses to the detriment of a case -- is one of the reasons the IAB no-frat rules exist. You can't put your boyfriend ahead of your job, and Calleigh is the last person I would expect to do that to this degree. She's covered his ass (and others -- this lab plays more cover-up for their coworkers than they should get away with) before, but not to this extent with something this big. She's not doing Eric any favors by keeping this hidden. In fact, she left the door wide open for him to walk into trouble just the way she said she wouldn't watch him do.

As for the trust issue, I think if you stopped Calleigh the moment after Eric's car pulled away from the shootout and asked if she trusted him with her life, she'd say yes. But that doesn't mean she trusts he's being honest with her. There are levels of trust, and I think that deep we-will-take-care-of-each-other-and-have-each-other's-backs-and-take-a-bullet-if-need-be trust is still there between them, but I don't think she trusts in his honesty right now. And rightfully so. That is going to be an issue, and that is something that will create tension for them. He's been keeping things from her for all season (conversations with his dad, his birth certificate, living in the hotel) and even last season (Bang Bang, Your Debt anyone?), so I think some of that surface trust has eroded, and she has every right to question him and to assume he's not being upfront with her. But I think the basis of their trust, the foundation of it, is still there.

That said, I would love for them to find him next season and have her haul off and smack him for being stupid and careless, and for putting himself on the line for someone he's known for three months instead of listening to a coworker, friend, and girlfriend that he's been close with for almost a decade. And then, y'know, kiss him (cuz at the end of the day, still a shipper here. heh).

3. Florry86

Florry86 CSI Level Three

SomewhereApart I'm really glad to read your opinion about the season final & I have to say that I agree w/ most of what you said ;).
    For me, it's always nice to hear an E/C fan admitting that something is off between this two even if for just an episode, you know just b/c of our little war :p

Glad to hear that I'm not the only one who was "wtf?" the whole time during the season finale b/c of this reason.
    I really hope they're gonna explain it in a very good way (b/c yeah it must be an excellent explanation considering the weirdness of the events :lol:), but I highly doubt they will ever be able to convience us w/ just the usual excuse "Eric is nice guy & he would do anything for his family& the people who loves". Crap! That's what it is :rolleyes:

And that's why I've lost my respect for the girl.
    Really I never thought that she could ever cover his ass whenever he was in trouble & I had to get used to see her doing it whenever Eric had even a little problem.
    But in the final episode she just went beyond every kind of borderline:
    - what if Sharova is the real bad person we all think he is? She's covering for him...the same thing Eric did, but that she didn't approve. Hello Calleigh!!! You're doing the same exact thing & "you don't even know him!!!"
    It's funny b/c in this case her argument w/ Eric was just useless & she showed herself kinda stupid.
    Yeah she kept telling Eric that he was covering up a criminal's ass.....guess she didn't even know what she was talking about. Thank god that she knows the law :lol:.
    Sorry, but in this case, everything Calleigh had told Eric is just ridiculous :lol:
    -if Sharova is good & Eric was helping a good person, still Calleigh went beyond any borderline. And still she should pay for her msitake. I mean ok that he's your boyfriend & let's say that Sharova really turns out to be good, still she ddidn't inform H & she didn't stay out of it. :rolleyes:

Again, I hope we're all wrong & I do hope that after her second argument w/ Delko she actually texted a message to H (yeah I saw her picking up a mobile phone from her lab coat pocket :p), but considering the new Calleigh I highly doubt it.
    Wonder who did she texted the message too, thouug :devil:

Actually I don't think so since I guess in that moment she really thought he was covering his dad's ass.
    I mean you're already having doubt on your boyfriend's honesty & voilĂ  you find him in the middle of a shooting between bad & good people & it really looks like he's among the bad ones....so I really don't see how she can trust him in that particular moment.

Though, I'm pretty sure she'd say yes once she finds him :rolleyes:

IDK, I think he has been lying to her too many times, no matter if he did care for her & wanted to protect her.

A healthy relationship is not founded on lies. He's been lying to her too many times & about too many subects:
    -health
    -his place
    -his family
    and so on & so forth.
    There's a point when trust between these poeple is going to collapse, no matter if it won't happen again. I think they have already reached this point. :shifty:

Love the way you think :lol:
    Let's say that I'd love the first part, but I'm pretty sure you'll have also the second part you want :p

4. mjszud

mjszud Captain

Please don't throw things, but I do want to defend Eric just a smidge here. Not for his lies, mind you, but for wanting to do what he thought/thinks is right for biodaddy.
    We all know tptb love to make more happen OFF screen than on, & in that scene with Eric & his father on the docks, I did see a little more of a father/son moment than two estranged men. The way Sharova spoke to him about the fish biting & offering him to join in gave me the impression that offscreen they had been talking & somewhat getting to know each other. Granted, Eric still doesn't know this man very well, but I can see his point of view in thinking (& wanting to know) that this man, his real father, is not a dirtbag. I'm not saying that it necessarily justifies his actions or his lies, but I can still seewhy he felt he needed to do this.

I absolutely agree. The thing is, I think the level of trust she has with him is fine for two friends, & fine for co-workers, but it's terrible for a relationship, imo, & not an easy obstacle to jump.
    I don't quite agree with their "foundation" being just as solid. If anything, I think this incident just put a huge crack in it. In all actuality, it would, but this is TPTB we're dealing with, & who knows how stupid they'll wind up playing this out by turning it around & making it look like a minor thing.:rolleyes:

5. Florry86

Florry86 CSI Level Three

I perfectly know what you mean honey, it's just that I find it too much of an excuse to let him lie to Cal.
    I mean we still don't know whether his father is a good person or not, also Calelgih doesn't know any of it. Yep also Delko doesn't know it. Ok they had the chance to know each other better, but still it doesn't give Delko any right to defend Sharova lying to Calleigh (his girlfriend) as if Sharova were the best father of the world.

For god's sake, as much as they know each others they've known each others for 3 months :cardie:. You can't claim you know a person enough to know whether he/she's good or not in....3 months :rolleyes:.

Sorry I had to rant, just b/c I find the whole Sharova stuff ridiculous. It wasn't referred at you :p

6. mjszud

mjszud Captain

^^ & I see what you're saying, I just think that his purpose for lying to her was more because he knew she wouldn't understand. Just another reason why these 2 don't match well.
    I guess that's my real point here - Im not trying to really stick up for the guy's lies, Im just saying that if Calleigh was right for him then maybe he wouldn't have needed to lie to her. ;)

7. SomewhereApart

SomewhereApart Prime Suspect

Exactly. I've no doubt there's been more going on offscreen than we've seen or had alluded, but it seems a bit of a stretch that in 3 months they've become so close that Eric would lie to his girlfriend, and risk not only their trust/relationship, but his job and his life for the guy. Are they really so close that he's going to pull into a gun heist and bust the guy out? Then? Really? A gun heist that he *knows* MDPD will interrupt because its at an alarmed MDPD building?? Its just dumb. And Eric does some dumb emotional stuff, but this is a bit of a stretch even for him.

And, though this isn't really on the shipper topic, wouldn't you think Eric would WANT his dad brought in for questioning once he found out the mob has him under their thumb and is forcing him to do stuff? Wouldn't he be safer at PD? What exactly is the plan here? I feel like Eric is flailing a little, trying to protect his biodad, and not really thinking things through.

I think his dad is bad news, I think he's probably involved in Eric's disappearance, and I think Calleigh is spot on about Eric not really knowing him.

8. starzsgirl

starzsgirl Captain

I finally got to watch the ep...boy what an ep.

It says a lot that Ryan can pick up that there is something wrong with Eric and Calleigh, and it was a very nice gesture he tried to help.

But IMHO Eric has dug his own future this time, and it's not looking good...darn cliffhanger. Though Calleigh crying at the end did tug a bit on the per verbal heart strings...but I think she felt bad that she kind of pushed him to find his father and see what was going on.

When she showed the dashboard camera photo to Eric even though she said not to get involved and that she wanted to see the call list, this still perked Eric's interests in finding out why his dad was there and why. And we all know how curious and stubborn Eric can be on some subjects and the verbal jousting match they had outside the building and outside the garage shows that he is hard pressed to be forced to choose between family and his girlfriend. And in no way am I blaming Calleigh for what happened, just pointing out that she gave him reason to investigate.

Having her shoot at him was a nice twist that I'm sure will get revisited at sometime. But even though I do no ship nor am I a total fan of this couple...this was really a shoddy attempt to put some drama into their relationship. Let's pit the family card against the girlfriend card....it's been done and it's quite old.

All in all it's going to be interesting to see where this goes and I do think that Calleigh is sorry for pointing Eric in that direction, though she honestly didn't mean to.

9. mjszud

mjszud Captain

I don't think Eric has been thinking things through since the moment he stepped out that hospital back in midS5!

I know I'm going to get a mouthful for this, but here I go anyway. :p
    Ever since his shooting, this guy has become incredibly dependant & he's become overly clingy to anything or anyone that crosses his path in a helpful way. Calleigh stepped up the plate as a friend being helpful & what does he do? He immeditaly clings to it. Now here's biodad who helps him once, & again Eric starts clinging.
    I don't know what it is he's aiming for here, I just know I've seen Eric in a state of mind that is very unusual for a "normal" person. It's like he just takes anything that's a "possibility" & runs with it just like he did with Calleigh, & just like it seems he's doing now with his Dad. Someone in another thread said Eric has this idea or image of the way things should be with his father & he's doing this out of what he wants to believe - well, Im sorry but in all honesty that's exactly how I see Eric has formed his feelings for Calleigh as well.

Ya know, when Horatio chose Ryan to help him fake his death, Eric was upset over it. When Eric made a not-so-funny joke to Ryan, & Ryan's reply was snarky, Eric looked completely offended, he was almost pouty about it & just wandered off. When he snuck up close behind Natalia & she asked him to give her some space, he didn't reply with any silly comeback, he pouts & says "sorry".

So, I don't know really what my point is here, I just see that alot of his reactions & how he's so clingy to be abnormal, & I really think he needs to straiten out his emotional issues. It's very hard for me to buy that this is just a normal guy who simply fell in love with his friend - sorry, I just think more of it brewed from his injury, his insecurities, & his need/want for anything that sounds remotely promising, I also think that's what he's doing now with his Father.

10. Delynn

Delynn CSI Level One

I agree with you, MJ. It's almost like the bullet caused an insecurity (understandable) and an extreme dependence on others. Criticism results in pouting or temper tantrums, rather than an assuming adult responsbility for his actions.

All of this was understandable immediately after the shooting and during the recovery period. And it's the very reason why counseling and rehab was necessary before he attempted to return to work.

It's also why it was imperative that ERIC retake his proficiences and not have Calleigh do it for him.

Exactly. It's like he lives in a fantasy world of his own making where everything he imagines comes true - even it it's not really true.

Again, like a child who gets angry and pouts when others reject their behavior. I would add when Eric yelled out to Horatio at the end of "Resurrection", "Just you and me, H?". I thought that sounded exactly like something an insecure child would have said and I believe that it goes back to the fact that Horatio chose Ryan and not Eric to help him fake his death.

I think Horatio missed the tell sign on that one. That should have had alarm bells going off. Then again, Horatio's been missing a lot of alarms with his team in the last couple of years. I'm sincerely hoping we see that start to change in season 8.

I agree. Eric needs someone to help him take an objective look at what he's doing. It really doesn't appear as though that therapist he was seeing was really doing him much good. (I believe that was a cheap plot device so that Calleigh would read how Eric feels about her - resulting in the most devasting blow to Calleigh's integrity ever!).

Again, I'm holding out hoping like hell that season 8 will see some real chance for these characters to rediscover who they were and what made them so very special in the beginning. Especially after the rough journey they've all made.

Edit: I just wanted to add that Calleigh is obviously NOT the one who can help Eric with that objective look. While we saw a brief sign that she might be taking a step back and trying to get Eric to think about what he's doing (with his father at least), overall she has enabled Eric's problems and issues more than she has helped. Her "helping" is to cover for him rather than to actually work with him to resolve the problem in a way that moves Eric forward in a positive way.

Last edited: May 22, 2009
  11. Florry86

Florry86 CSI Level Three

All I'm going to say about your post is "THANK YOU!".

You said everything I was going to say about the new Eric & I know people will never stop cticsizing me just b/c I think he's not "normal" right now, but hello!!! He has a bullet in his head & he has already changed two shrinks, how can he be normal?
    Having said this, I'm not going to repeat myself knowing that people will still believe Eric Delko is normal & that everyone can walk w/ a bullet in their head :rolleyes:.
    Sorry, but I'm really tired of people who still believe that everything Delko does is normal, OFC, it isn't &, OFC, right now, Eric Delko is not normal.

Guess TPTB don't have enough money to find a third shrink for Mr. Delko :lol:.
    Agian, I couldn't have said it better :thumbsup:

In my country we call it "covering someone's ass" & I'm really tired of seeing always Calleigh doing it :rolleyes:

Sorry if I offended someone, but lately I'm really nervous due to RL ;)

12. mjszud

mjszud Captain

It's slightly funny ( or um, rather annoying), because I see when it comes to Eric - tptb & other fans use his injury only when it's to their advantage, otherwise we're supposed to believe that Eric Delko is in the perfect state of mind & everything is coming from true feelings. :rolleyes: How the hell am I supposed to believe it when they insist on always bringing his bullet back into the picture ('Head Case', anyone?).

Agreed...totally. I made the comment in the other thread that Eric will never face his problems or be able to stand on his own by clinging to Calleigh, & I honestly believe that! She is helping him by covering for him, but I have yet to see that she's good for any emotional support. Sorry, but as I see it, she's made things worse - from leading this "already confused & insecure guy" by a chain around his neck while she plays around with his emotions deciding what to do to make HER happy, down to covering for every mistake on the job, & everything else in between - everything that he does NOT need to make him "normal" or face his issues!
    If Eric ever wants to attempt in getting over this brain injury & get a grip on the aftermath effects then he is going to have to do this without Calliegh - she is no good for him, & on the flip-side, I can't see him being any good for her either considering all he's allowed her to do on the job & lying to her. Oh yes, they bring out the best in each other - she acts like queen beeyatch, & he acts like an idiot. :rolleyes:

13. Delynn

Delynn CSI Level One

Yeah. You're right. They bring the "bullet back into the picture" whenever they need a convenient excuse for his inappropriate behavior. Hey, at least they have a pat excuse for him. No other character has that advantage! ;)

IMO, Calleigh is guilty of being horribly selfish and sometimes even cruel when it comes to Eric. She does things that invites Eric to become dependent on her, stringing him on and seemingly playing with him, knowing that he is vunerable and confused. Then she blatantly flaunts her relationship with Jake, knowing how Eric feels. The kiss in the lab was cruel. Getting on the elevator and leaving with Jake (after looking at Eric and seeing how he was hurting) was cruel. Going for a ride with the horse trainer because Eric wasn't fast enough responding to her demand that he define their relationship, was childish and selfish.

It's a cruel Calleigh that did those things. That's not love and that's not the Calleigh who, along with Horatio, drew me into loving this show.

It's exactly why I mourn the loss of the Calleigh I remember so fondly. :(

14. mjszud

mjszud Captain

For me, that's what did it. I don't care how many times I hear someone say - well, she didn't want to face her feelings, she was fighting them (blablabla). I don't give a ratt's ass - you don't have to drop your pants for another man while figuring this out!
    What kills me is that she gets away with this behaviour as if we're supposed to look past it & give her the benefit of the doubt. I can't do that - I wouldn't do that with ANY character in this situation, & if the table was turned & Calleigh had the bullet in her brain while Eric went off the way she did, then I can gaurantee everyone wouldn't be looking at it this way - this "boohoo pity party for Calleigh" way.

Usually I'm a fair person & I can manage to see both points of view in all situations that we've seen on this show, but with this I just can't do it. There's nothing that Calleigh has done, or has gone through, that makes me want to give her any benefit of the doubt. I am sorry if anyone finds that offensive or rude, but jump out of your shippy shoes for a second to see how it actually looks on her part - yeah...not so good Im afraid.
    Sad that other females can be labeled as "office whores" for sleeping with one man on her team & accepting one date with another (out of spite), yet Calleigh can go through Hagen, Elliot, Jake while taking her sweetass time with Eric, & now Eric - but she's an angel, & does no wrong.
    What a shame that TPTB had to resort to making her look like this all for the sake of a romantic storyline.

15. Orla_Dark

Orla_Dark CSI Level Two

I totally agree! She is not angel, she knew exactly what she doing! Her "help" to Eric make his situation worse. I never ever believe that she in love with him, come on, if can't able do what she want, she find man who can (date with horse trainer. She didn't hear the magic words and come on date in same day).

Sorry for stupid question, but what OFC means? :confused:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.