Grade "Grounds for Deception"

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, May 13, 2009.

?

How would you grade Grounds for Deception?

1. A+

28 vote(s)
    27.2%
  2. A

14 vote(s)
    13.6%
  3. A-

6 vote(s)
    5.8%
  4. B+

6 vote(s)
    5.8%
  5. B

5 vote(s)
    4.9%
  6. B-

6 vote(s)
    5.8%
  7. C+

5 vote(s)
    4.9%
  8. C

9 vote(s)
    8.7%
  9. C-

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
  10. D+

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  11. D

10 vote(s)
    9.7%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

10 vote(s)
    9.7%
  1. roximonoxide

roximonoxide Lab Technician

I thought I heard Adam say virility too, but either fits in the context it was used...for the most part.

2. ErinElizabeth

ErinElizabeth Rookie

Perfectly understandable. :lol:

3. kinkapoodles

kinkapoodles Judge

Also, my brain betrays itself, too. :p I just watched again and she does say 'virility'.:shifty:

Adam says: Priapus the Greek god of virility.

4. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

You watched again? Are you a masochist??

5. roximonoxide

roximonoxide Lab Technician

You speak too soon. Priapus is the God Adam's referring to and since priapus is another word for a phallic representation he is the God of virility which basically means manliness and all things phallic. :p It's kind of the masculine equivalent of fertility since fertile is typically used to describe the state of a receptive noun.

I love etymology. ^_^

6. kinkapoodles

kinkapoodles Judge

And edited my post again.

I love torture. :p I just had to see what was said. Adam's cuteness made up for what I had to endure AND I turned it off before it got worse.

7. ~Sarah~

~Sarah~ Lab Technician

According to wikipedia (yeah, I know)

8. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

It was an okay episode. I totally thought it was gonna turn out that the Professor was Stella's father and I was screaming that CSI Vegas already did that with Cath/Sam. :lol: But, I believe they said that when Stella's mother came to whever the Prof was, she already had a daughter in tow... so that would most likely mean he wasn't her bio dad.

The baby in the lab... okay in the break room for a little bit, fine... but why did Danny bring her in the lab room with him? But, I'm glad they named her Lucy. That was one of my suggestions in the suggestion thread if I recall. that baby is just all kinds of adorable. I wonder if her real parents are actors or if she's the only actor in the family. :lol: Still, I don't like the idea of them bringing her to work. Just because Xena did all her fancy flips with her daughter attached to her in a sack, doesn't mean DL have to bring their baby to work too. :lol:

I loved the last scene with Mac/Stella and the tea. hehehe.

Why couldn't they have had Jess in this ep though. :(

9. MacsGirlMel

MacsGirlMel Mac's Personal Assistant

I thought Melina did fairly well writing this one although the DL could have been toned down a bit more and I'm sure many of us would have been happier.

Weren't we supposed to see a picture of Stella's dad? Where'd that go? I did like the ending though, that was a win.

*is still nervous about tomorrow*

10. Elwood21

Elwood21 Pathologist

First. Kudos to Melina. For jumping into the challenge of following up her idea pitched by accepting the invitation to write an ep. For jumping into the thick of things in an unfamiliar capacity in such a high profile show. For also taking a chance also on incorporating what obviously resonates personally for her and adapting it and putting it out there for public consumption. Congrats for having the hutzpah to get into it. End. That's about as nice as I can be for what came of it.

Note. There seems to be an awful lot of personal crossover stuff from actors and writers into the show. Some of that is a fun nod or simply taking advantage of what people can bring to the show. But. The show is fiction. Supposedly well-written fiction, a made up world. Not fan fiction. I dunno what kinds of meetings and note sessions the execs and the writers have been having about eps in development, Melina included, but something's gotta give here.

They get one last shot to impress people and entice them back for S6 now, cos the whole of the season has been underwhelming crappage. And after S4 I'd hoped for better. I left during S4. Every week I approached with great hope and optimism. Looking back on it all, now that it's far enough behind to be looked at as a whole, I can't believe I've stuck out S5. I think only because the show itself is turning into a puzzle that needs solving. I tune into CSI (vegas) rarely enough anymore, but I caught "If I had a Hammer" and it was a great ep. I haven't watched enough of the season to know if that's representative of their season, but when I tune into NY in the face of solid eps like that, the NY franchise comes off rather poorly.

Um.

...sigh.

I wish Melina hadn't written it. It would be so much easier to rip it like I wanna... :lol: But she did. And I like Melina. It shouldn't matter, and, ultimately, it really doesn't. Sorry Melina, Duane. Wasn't in the least keenly impressed with this one. It wasn't just the writing that wasn't impressive, but the realization of it as a whole. It just didn't raise the bar. Didn't even meet the bar. Might compell me to visit one. But I can drink at home... :p Pretty much just added to the completely mediocre season as a whole. Disappointed. I don't think my expectations were heightened because Melina wrote it, but I suppose my hopes were, and both were disappointed.

Haven't voted yet. Will vote once I actually mull this for a sec. Gonna kinda round out bullet points. I really don't think I can bring myself to think about this one too much. :p

The set up was interesting, that it was Stella who placed the anonymous phonecall about the initial dead dude, perhaps in hoping that she'd be assigned to work on the case after the fact. It was nice to get the impression from the beginning that Mac wasn't just upset about breach of protocols, etc, but was personally upset.

Soundtrack was rather heavy handed thru-out. Sheldon using a maglite in a darkened scene that actually required a maglite to see was somehow amusing to me. Really strong presence of reds and blues in the early going. Lx, play, clothes, labs. Wonder wtf that was allabout.

Well. One question answered. I wondered, in the last ep dealing with the coins etc, where Stella stuffed the guy into a shipping container, and then spoke on the walkie talkie, who she was talking to when she did so. It was indeed a member of the Cypriot government. Man. Not exactly executive class travel...

My my. Very busy camera work. Very busy. And more reds and blues.

Oh. Joyous. Danny and Adam and Lindsay. Ack. DL in Adam's face. Double team. Hardly fair. :rolleyes: Danny is after Blake? Go Blake. Run. Run boy... I was willing to accept that there was gonna hafta be some DL stuff this ep. But it was waaaaay overkill. As usual. Incredibly unsubtle handling of things this season. Blech. But I suppose they hafta be shown to be a supremely lovey happy family this ep incase anything else happens in da finale... Speaking of...

Angell's outta town? Uh huh. Like others, was disappointed she wasn't in the concluding ep of a plotline she was instrumental in. Especially in light of next ep. It was an interesting scene with Don and Stella, with him pressing her about the whole matter. It was also interesting by implication that Angell herself didn't tell him much about it either.

Perfesser P was way easily set up to be suspicious with the whole passport sequence, very early on. Made me suspicious of that. Somehow wondered if he'd be set up for the murder, and that the ep would likely circle around how much to feel betrayed by her Guardian angel or eventually vindicated for her faith in him for Stella.

The Mac/Lindsay scene. :rolleyes: She does her schpiel, shorter than usual, there's the pause, Mac's eyeing her for some reason, and I was hoping the take on things was gonna be in the line of him waiting for the more usual extended demo sequence, and poking fun at that. But no. It was simply asking her what she thought she was doing there. Something I've been asking all season... :lol: It was a relatively innocuous scene until "...this lab would fall apart without me..." ...major dropkick to keister forthcoming. Fall apart without just about anyone but.

What? Whoa. Seriously? Alexander's Tomb. Carbon dated and everything? Um. New York. Right? Crime show. Guest appearance by CSI Croft? I'm sorry. But it don't matter anymore who wrote this. This is not irresistable teevee to me. Too many things being juggled, not enough time to really devote to all of them. They're not interesting simply by mention alone.

Oh. More happy family. :rolleyes: Danny, Lindsay and Lucy. DLL? DLL. I think that's how I'll start referring to them now. Freakin delightful...

Prof P's a suspect officially now, but hey, he got Stella out of foster care, so he can't be a truly evil bastard now can he. Stella smashing glass in her office. And not damaging the canvas at all. That woulda done her mama proud... Interesting to put canvas behind glass at all, but it's not necessarily uncommon.

More testy Flack. Mac inna lab coat. Been awhile. Soundtrack is ever present. A round table meeting with ...Mac, Danny and Adam? And Flack's running down Stella's credit cards. One big happy family.

Greece. Stella. Prof. P has a brother, and you're just telling him where you're staying? Why would you do that. Oh, cos it'll give him the opportunity to go after you later. No, I didn't have him pegged from opening the door at all... Man. I am way too suspicious. But it was the piece that fit. So whaddaya do... And within ten minutes Mac's put everything back on track with legal particulars. Atta boy Mac. That house call was above and beyond. The jurisdiction of alla yas personal Justice, you and Stella both, knows no bounds.

Stella apologizes profusely. Was glad to see that much. But eh. Ya gotta know it's gonna be glossed over in the end. Wait, now I'm confused, Stella's mother brought her over to the US in 1977 when she was two, so she was born in '75? No way. Frickin chrissakes. My head hurts. Did I miss something? All these ep references to the characters ages, man, mebbe five years ago an' all they mighta been these ages... I mean, are they stuck in S1? No, no if they were, I think I'd be a much happier camper... sheesh.

We go from investigation to fortune telling now. Actually , I thought that was kinda fun. More ever present soundtrack. And P's bro's confirmed as the killer. And he does indeed show up at the hotel. At least Stella got some good shots in. And he was just in NY too? Man. Frequent flyer points racking up by everyone. It's a wonder they weren't all on the same damned plane going over.

Interesting Macguyver Science sequence. Not much of a smoking gun all told :lol: And whoa random pesticide knowledge??? :wtf::p

Field trip. Peachy. More mighty Mac with Stella left under a tree without her gun. I want NY Stella back.

It was a cheesy end with spilled artifacts and both brothers dead, and how all that went down, a weepage moment, the redemption of P, Stella getting to utter "I was born here." That was a nice moment for the character to have in finally finding her family history etc, but just came across a tich heavy handed.

But the things I did like, one was Stella's line to P "you also stole from me." The other thing I liked was "...the painting I gave you was the last thing she worked on," because it's one thing I didn't see coming, even with the mention she was an art restorer earlier in the ep.

The end scene with Mac and Stella was both meh :rolleyes: and kinda nice, the best line in that was the throwaway at the end, "...sometimes you adore her, sometimes she drives you crazy..." That at least to me felt more like Stella, and the dynamic I like between them. Also kinda how I felt about the ep in general :p though it leaned far more to the latter and relied on the former to keep from losing it altogether.

All in all was a kind of frantic, loosely tied ep. After just running thru it, I hafta give is a C-. I'd be tempted to grade it lower, but I damn well know there were worse eps this season, and hafta allow that curve. At least, it wasn't the only one to achieve such a low score from me.

Disappointed. Was hoping for more. Had some nice moments. Was like NY was having a coffee on a terrace somewhere while this ep was going on, pausing to coo at a baby now and then, reading the International Tribune to catch up on news back home. Never woulda guessed it was the same guy who directed Snow Day either.

I hope tomorrow's ep pulls it all together for a really super solid high end eppie. This season has been spinning it's wheels. Hope it doesn't go over the cliffhanger a la wile e. coyote. One last chance, TPTB. C'mon people. Pull it together. :censored:

Last edited: May 14, 2009
  11. EngleBarn

EngleBarn Rookie

Despite vvhat most of you others have vvritten, I really really really loved the episode. It's my ultimate favourite, even thrumps snovv day. tciddaisc, I think I'm one of the shippers you mentioned.

I gave it an a+, vvithout a doubt, but more because of the fact that it vvas so SMacked based that I vvas floading avvay. I must admit, it vvas very rushed in some parts, but that's about the only bad thing i can say about it.

My opinion might be coloured as I've been avvake all night, vvatching Life is Beautiful and I vvas broken dovvn completely, a SMacked happy ending vvas all i needed.

12. LyzabethSay

LyzabethSay Prime Suspect

I thought it was a fairly good episode. I rated it A+...

I was randomly thinking half way through the episode - last season was a very Mac centered one with the whole Drew Bedford/333 thing.... This season it's very Stella and the Diakos case. Who's going to be next season?

I don't know if it 'worked' well with Stella finding out who her mother really was and stuff... I kindda thought it was a little dramatic... But HONESTLY you would have thought Prof. P would have told her at SOME point!

It's nice to hear a little FA outside of well FA moments. But i kept asking myseld why couldnt Angell jsut have stayed out of town a little longer! Then maybe next episdoe would be different! THOUGH, i'm still living in denial... It AINT gonna happen =D BUt yeah, I didnt actually understand much about why they didnt add Angell in. I mean she was a big part of the whole sotryline.

Did they go to Greece to film that? I mean it would be nice if they did but do they have the budget to do that? Oh and yeah, Mac has seemed to be taking dressing tips from H. The moment I saw the glasses I was like 'Haratio much?'

Baby in lab doesnt seem to go well.. I mean okay she's had the kid but why bring her into work... Oh and I like the name Lucy... Works better than Lydia I think XP I think Danny's going a little over board on the whole being a dad thing... I mean Lindsays taking it into her stride but Danny jsut seems to INTO it.

Lovely SM moments at the end though =D They're jsut meant to be if you ask me. I mean the way she teased him and all that was beyond adorable XP

There's probably more I want to add in that i was thinking of throughout the episode but I cant remember now =(

13. Plenilunio

Plenilunio Lab Technician

I think I was very generous with my rating, but only because before I started watching I was thinking "Oh, Geez, this is gonna hurt!" I don't know why, but I expected something much worse.

What was Montana Jr. doing at the lab? Oh, wait, she's called Lucy. At least the didn't explain why they named her like that, thank God. But having her there was beyond ridiculous.

Plastic Greece is plastic. Also, I've never been to Greece, but they're part of the European Union, you know, which means Greece and my country share a legal framework concerning some important matters, food safety among them. In no way is anyone allowed to carry fish like that. It's not exactly healthy, you see. Plus, poisoned fruit at a natural park and nobody controls it? Two words: yeah, right.

I don't get why in every movie and show whenever an American police officer / FBI detective / Marine /whatever travels abroad, they still get away with everything and act like the world was theirs and they were there to save the rest of us, poor inferior creatures! To me it's chauvinistic, unrealistic and extremely insulting.

Oh, great! Melina just trashed Stella's background and filled her story with plotholes! It was contradictory enough already, but now we have to believe her mother took her to the US and she wasn't sent back to Greece because she had her "guardian angel" in NY. Why didn't professor P adopt her? Because he had to provide some future dramatic drama! *shakes head*

14. jolein

jolein Pathologist

This has to be one of the weakest episodes till date.
    Most things were just annoying,didn`t makes sense or were just stepped aside and glossed over.

15. athens

athens Coroner

I rated the episode with a B.I've been reading all the reviews here before watching the episode but It wasn't as bad as I expected it, having read the reactions here.

I think the thing that was off in this episode it was the fact that they didn't focus on the crime,the suspects,the victim but more on the mystery behind the story of the artifacts.

It could have been better but that doesn't mean it was a bad episode.I don't dissaprove of baby Lucy coming to the lab-but only one time or like another episode in later seasons after a pretty bad case as they've done on another show.

The Greece they showed was a little bit too plastic and graphic and not the real thing.I don't know if it was the colors or the buildings but it is not exactly like that.PLus they were supposed to be in Thessaloniki and the showed pictures of Athens[for that I'm not 100% sure]

Overall an average to good episode.I liked the Stella/Mac and Stella/Flack/Danny moments.It had somethings that could have changed to make it a better one though.