"A Space Oddity" Discussion *SPOILERS*

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by Destiny, Apr 12, 2009.

1. korbjaeger

korbjaeger Pathologist

Good looking out. BSG nuts that we are, we caught Moore and Park (and Vernon, of course). Was it my imagination...I thought I also saw Rekha Sharma in one of the convention crowd scenes. Someone with a bigger screen and better stop-motion than us...?

From "He's dead, Jim" to Super-Dave's "I'm a ...not a ..." to the "red shirt" observation...lot of Star Trek "inside baseball". Hubby and I loved it. I sorta grew up with "Star Trek" in the 60's...a nice paean to Trekdom!!

2. ACW1129

ACW1129 Police Officer

What a fun, quirky, odd episode. Sure, the crime was a bit lacking, but it worked, and it wasn't the main focus (question though: wouldn't it be 3rd degree murder instead of 2nd degree?).

Wendy: :drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool:

3. _Hush_

_Hush_ Winchester Inc.

Apart from the first episode of this season, I didn't watch one single epi of this season. Untill this one came along :D
    It was quirky, fun, has a steady pace, and incredibly dorky (which is a good thing :p)

I thought Ray was gonna be very prominent, because of all the complains I've read that he's taking up too much screentime, but this wasn't too bad. I haven't seen other epi's so I can't really compare, but it seemed that he's given a lot less screentime than Grissom was given, which is only normal. But.. he's gonna have to grow on me. I'm not particularly growing fond of him.

On the other hand, Hodges and Wendy is love, baby! Period. :cool::D

4. queenlynx

queenlynx Witness

I agree that Patrick Bristow looks like Adam from the Mythbusters. As for Nick, I thought he was okay last night. The bartender scene reminded me of "A Little Murder." I loved at the end how Langston was explaining Astro Quest. He seems to be the biggest geek of all of them. :lol: I also liked Catherine's "Life's too short" line.
    I was with Henry on this one, though. He should have just told her how he felt. Sure, he did, but in another language. And yes, Wendy found out at the end of the episode, but now we're going to have to wait to see if it works out. :shifty:

5. ladeee

ladeee Civilian

you are so right - I thought sure they would move her to the field. Maybe now they will - they need her energy and spunk while working with all the team. She adds so much to every scene!!

6. jafox

jafox CSI Level Two

I thought this too. :)

I guess this episode had something for me afterall. I didn't appreciate all the BSG references since I never watched it, but I did appreciate all the GSR parallels(and there were many); this seems like the Butterflied equivalent for Wedges, meaning we now know their feelings, but will they ever act on them. If it's like Grissom and Sara, then it will take awhile, I guess.

It was an entertaining episode, but I agree with others that there were too many Hodges fantasy scenes. Maybe I would have appreciated them more if I was a guy.

My favorite part was probably Mandy explaining why Mr. Ed was science fiction. :lol: I do love her!!

Last edited: Apr 17, 2009
  7. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

Good question. I wonder if the writers are setting us up for something? Pride before the fall? It did seem out of character for him to be so harsh, particularly towards Wendy who gets along with really well.

Unless he's jealous and wanted Wendy for himself!;) Didn't she mention something about a 'love triangle' once?:lol:

Not to mention when the bartender mentioned being judged from the outside, Nick gave him an answer that said in so few words, "It's not easy being me either."

I didn't like the knucklehead comments, I found that a bit nasty of Nick, not so much towards Hodges, but more towards Wendy. Sweet Wendy, why be so mean to her Nicky.

Now I hope the writers don't drag out Wedges for eons..just get it over with.

Yes, I do love that girl. That's why she needs to have more scenes with cranky, crusty old Nick. The ole guy needs some lov...laughs:devil:

Okay enough ship talk.

One scene that made me love was where Brass visited the home of one of the sci fi geeks and the wearied look on the face of mom! You can see she was just resigned to her son's fate of being lost in a the Astro Quest world.:guffaw:

8. NickyFan

NickyFan Coroner

Yeah Mandy was as amaizing as always, how could you not love her :)

The Hodges fantasy scenes were funny but also so damn typical Hodges... Why isn't he just asking Wendy out, if that is what he wants??? Man sometimes the guy is just crazy...

9. jimmyolsenblues

jimmyolsenblues Hit and Run

i really liked this episode...it really is my favorite moments since grissom left.
    warrick and grissom leaving absolutely seriously broke my heart.

10. TrekGuide.com

TrekGuide.com Civilian

I've been a fan of Liz Vassey since I saw her in episodes of "Star Trek: TNG" and "Quantum Leap."

I became a fan of Lawrence Fishburn in "The Matrix."

I first saw Lauren Lee Smith as a psychic girl in an episode of "The Dead Zone."

I've been a fan of Marg Helgenberger since I saw her in "Species."

So as a science-fiction fan, every episode of "CSI" is like a sci-fi actors reunion.

This episode was more a parody of old "Star Trek" episodes (à la "Galaxy Quest"), right down to the props, costumes, and storylines.

CBS owns both "CSI" and "Star Trek" -- why didn't they just use the actual show rather than make up this "Galaxy Quest"-type parody?

11. hiphugger17

hiphugger17 Coroner

I kept thinking the same thing while I watched the episode last night. Not only did he set himself on fire, but there were like what? 3 sequences or more where he fantasized and long ones too. Eric had like 15 seconds, only one sequence, and he didn't compromise the case or did anything simialr to setting himself on fire.

Now that that is off my chest... this episode had some great moments. Loved Brass asking Hodges how he got his number :lol:. Also the whole scene with is Mr. Ed sci-fi or not :lol:.

The only thing is I miss Cath :(. I want to see her on the field more and not so much in the office and supervising all the time. I know it will be less but still Grissom did field job. Plus the fact that she is the supervisor doesn't mean that she has to have fewer scenes.

12. andsoareyou

andsoareyou Dead on Arrival

Love that we got a scene (albeit a short one) with Wendy and Mandy. I had mentioned before that I hoped that happened. There are not very many women on this show, so I love when they actually get to work together and get along. It's a good dynamic.

Personally, I thought the fantasies were fantastic. I thought the last one was so sweet when they had to say goodbye. Henry was right Hodges.

13. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

I think Nicky was probably just tired, probably working a double or something. He needed some coffee me thinks. :) :lol: I don't think he meant to be nasty towards Wendy, particularly. I think he was just irritated at Hodges mostly and Wendy just happened to be there and ended up getting lumped into it. :lol: I think "knuckleheads" is an affectionate term though. :) He could have called them much, much worse. :) But yeah, I just got the feeling he was tired.

Hodges setting himself on fire during one of his fantasies just goes to show how dangerous daydreaming on the job is. :lol: Maybe Wendy could become a CSI and Hodges wouldn't be around her as often if he's still in the lab and all. :lol:

14. rahkira

rahkira Police Officer

Yes, that was Rekha Sharma.

The whole thing was such a play on the "war" between original series and "reimagined" for both Star Trek and Battlestar Galactica.

Ron Moore (reimagined BSG creator) yelling "You suck!" was perfect because he's been on the receiving end of a lot of that over the last six years, from original Battlestar Galactica fans. :lol:

So much of this was aimed directly at BSG even more than at Star Trek, amazing since NBC owns BSG.

Kate Vernon rocked! As the perp: well, she didn't kill anyone in BSG but was, rather, a force for peace, so it was fun to see her in this role. It was kind of reminiscent of the lengths her BSG character Ellen would go to protect her husband and soulmate Saul Tigh, though. :cool:

Overall, the funniest CSI episode ever and such a nice break from the seriousness (and glut of LF face time) recently. :)

15. electra

electra Pathologist

This episode was way better then the other lab rats episodes but still less impressive then a regular show.There were good moments,still.Brass was my comic relief especially when Hodges called him.:lol: I also like the pairing of Nick and Riley.They "click" and play each other well.And I just knew that Ray would be a fan of sci fiction.

But I HATE Wedges and the fantasies were horrible so overall it was an average episode for CSI.