"A Space Oddity" Discussion *SPOILERS*

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by Destiny, Apr 12, 2009.

1. vegaslights

vegaslights Brute

How many times did Sara run off like a spoiled child? Maybe not necessarily running off--but she certainly acted like a child. When she didn't get the promotion at CSI, she went and got involved in a DUI. When the case wasn't going her way, she went off on Catherine in "Nesting Dolls". There's more, but I have a writing assignment I have to get finished.

2. Destiny

Destiny Still Sanity Challenged! Premium Member

I think Wendy kind of woke Hodges up, when she pointed out that he wasn't oblivious to those who are around him, kind of looked like that floored him, like he had no idea people thought that. I wonder at times if Hodges is even aware of his actions or reactions to others. Maybe Wendy is good for him (not talking ships) she isn't afraid to be up front with him and honest with him, and she isn't afraid if people know they are friends though it seems odd but hey what can you say.

I for one would love to know exactly why Hodges does act or react the way he does, I don't think its all about kissing butt, or I am better then so and so, I also don't think that he doesn't care or has no feelings, but rather he is complex to the point that he looks like he has to stay with that neutral look, and act a certain way, maybe to keep people at a distance for one reason or another. I think that Wendy could get that out of him, even if its just as friends.

3. Dizzney

Dizzney Moderately Insane Moderator

Well the whole Sci-fi "Star Trek" angle was real though, since Vegas always hosts the actual Star Trek convention most years. Of course they are not going to call it actually that due to copyright reasons, but I thought it was a fitting ep for CSI: LV since they are the biggest convention city in the US.

Slightly off topic, I am going to a sort of Sci-fi/comic convention here tomorrow. I bet I will see some people dressed up and stuff. It should be fun. :D

4. electra

electra Pathologist

I second that!! Brass was the best part fo the episode.I was also impressed of how fast he got back to the professor.

I am one of the biggest GSR dislikers but not even close they were so ridiculous as Wendy and Hodges fantasies.

5. byline

byline CSI Level One

Cute episode. But one thing bugged me: Is there a reason why they had to use "Astro Quest" instead of "Star Trek" (especially when all the references were so obviously harking back to the original "Star Trek" series)? I thought parodies were exempted from copyright/trademark issues.

Ah, ha! So I wasn't seeing things! I, too, thought I spotted Grace Park out in the crowd. I kept expecting her to turn up later as the real culprit.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2009
  6. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

Well that was kind of harsh, DW, seriously, there are some people out there who don't judge books by their cover and can see pass the negativities in a personality. Wendy is one of them. As was Sara. Remember Grissom wanted a woman who never judged him. That's what we all want. Right?

I have to agree with Speedy here. GSR may have worked for you, but not for all of us and if this was Grissom and Sara, you'd be fine with it, right? But if it's anyone else, you're not? Are no other characters allowed to make goo goo eyes at each other? Or was that only for Sara and Grissom?

Agreed. Sara certainly had her tantrums and hissy fits and was like a little child many times with Grissom. Not only did she land a DUI in the finale of season four, she was a major b with an itch to Nick. In the end, the promotion was cancelled.

I think it's a great to see a lab rat romance! Two geeky nerds who find each other. Unlike GSR, Wendy and Hodges don't have this 'us agains the world' attitude about them. It''s refreshing.

7. PraetorCorvinus

PraetorCorvinus Moderator Moderator

First of all, I loved the little jabs and winks toward Star Trek. I am a big fan of The Next Generation. Although I've never watched BSG, I understand the controversy that this episode was playing off of.

Story wise, it was pretty good. One of my favorites this season. I enjoy it when CSI goes to conventions. It opens up worlds we otherwise would never really know (A Little Murder, Fur and Loathing, Big Middle)

I love Wendy. Any episode with her as a primary character is always great. And when she was wearing that blue thing.:drool: Hodges was okay. He was never my favorite character, but I do appreciate his role. His fantasies were funny at the beginning, than got a little old. I haven't made a decision on how I feel about Wedges yet.

People are saying that Greg should have been into that nerd Astro Quest stuff. Back in season three (I think) there was an episode were Greg got offended when Nick went to Archie about a case instead of him. When Nick pointed out it was because Archie knew about Star Trek and other sci-fi, Greg acquiesed. This showed that while Greg might be a nerd himself, he isn't that type of nerd. And Greg was part of the case other than working A/V. He was the first to interview the doctor. Alone.

The last bit that has everyone all worked up about (Nick, Riley and Ray watching the DVD without Cath and Greg) doesn't bother me. A) They just hadn't reached them yet to tell them about the movie. B) Neither are interested. C)Already gone home. Catherine does have a daughter at home and maybe Greg has some kind of social life. We don't know.

As for Nick's crankyness at the beginning, I feel he was justified. Lab techs generally are not at crime scenes. Their offering of 'advice' to Nick while he and David are processing the body would be a hindrance and an annoyance. I think Nick acted accordingly.

Loved Brass. The teaser was brilliant. :guffaw: The exchange between Doc Robbins and David was also brilliant.

Overall: pretty good. Not as good as Lab Rats or You Kill Me, but still a funny episode.The tone of the show has changed this season, but I expected it would. It's more like: CSI: The Next Generation.:)

8. Princess_Laurie

Princess_Laurie Witness

I really liked this one! The whole case was very intriguing, and of course anything with the Lab Rats is good in my book. The Hodges/Wendy fantasies were a bit off, but all in all I liked it.
    SuperDave and Brass were my favorites, I loved Doc Robbins 'He's been doing that all day', and that scene with Brass in the beginning.
    Greg was good, what little we saw of him. I was kinda upset he and Catherine weren't with Nick, Ray and Riley at the end. Did they watch the dvd without them? :(
    Either way, it was really good.

9. byline

byline CSI Level One

Some truly insightful observations about Hodges, and also his relationship with Wendy. Wallace Langham is an amazing actor, and he's doing a wonderful job with such a complex character. I've liked Liz Vassey ever since her "All My Children" days. Even back then, you could see what she was capable of. I hope this is a sign of bigger and better things to come for her.

10. Half

Half CSI Level Two

I find what Destiny said 100% true.

I never paid much attention to Hodges or Wendy until Lab Rats, because at that point they became this sort of counterplay. They're similar in some ways, but so different in many other ways that they almost can't be in the same room without some kind of friction. That friction takes away some of that jerkish attitude that Hodges has, and gives me more respect for Wendy, because she can see something that most others can't. Whether we're looking at this from a 'ship view or not, she's much friendlier with him and seems to like the challenge of trying to turn him away from the attitude he presents to most people. I've found their relationship good for both characters.

11. roximonoxide

roximonoxide Lab Technician

I hardly think the odd episode that focuses on the supporting cast rather than the primary players is something to get this upset about. Out of 24 episodes in a season how many do they really do like this? It was definitely a different kind of episode than we're used to, but change shouldn't be something to fear and hurl tomatoes at. I'm sure we'll finish off the season with a lot more of the kind of episodes you're used.

The point of this episode was character exploration for people who are often "underwritten", but all the same just as loved as the characters you like to see on screen all the time --words that were blatantly put into Wendy's mouth early on, I'd like to point out. Rather than outright burying this entire episode in negativity you might want to consider the possibility that every show isn't going to be written about your favorite characters, because there are more people in this cast. They have a whole cast of like 10 people to divide the screen time amongst, and I think they do a pretty good job of it.

It's a little close minded to think just because someone is a professional success they can't enjoy something with the masses ... like a TV show. Like ANY tv show. *hint hint* I think if you take note of the clear parallels being drawn between CSI and it's fans and "AstroQuest" and it's fans you might find a lot more meaning in this episode. Science fiction has been credited as the inspiring factor for a lot of scientific advancements, so it's hardly a stretch that a scientist might enjoy sci-fi, even if it seems "dumb" to you that's an insult to a lot of highly intelligent people who do enjoy the genre. It's also of interest to note that while CSI fits into the crime drama and procedural drama categories it is also a sci-fi show, to a lesser extent.

Ultimately you might want to consider some of the morals and themes of this episode rather than just who was on screen and maybe you'll get something out of it. Keep in mind that these negative stereotypes you perpetuate of sci-fi fans can just as easily be put upon us as CSI fans. I'm sure there are a plethora of people out there who think procedural dramas and the people who watch them are just as 'dumb", but we all ought to know that's not the case.

In this episode Nick learned to find something of value in the "AstroQuest" show and learned that sci-fi aren't always as weird as they might seem to him. They just all share similar philosophies and are brought together by a story, even if it is a campy story. I hope you can understand that too.

12. DJRideout

DJRideout Following the trace Moderator

Speaking as a HODGES fan, I'm rather irritated! I totally understand that everyone's entitled to their own opinion and for that I hold the utmost respect, but come on...I think this is border line character bashing and I kinda feel insulted. Sure he is portrayed as a character that comes across as annoying and hated to some, but not everyone thinks the same way as some others do. Most are open-minded. I know I've never come to this site and dissed another persons point of view or their likes, even if I didn't support it.

Ever hear of opposites attract? Perhaps, like Destiny said, Wendy is exactly what Hodges need. Someone to make him a little more human, and who's not afraid to step up to him when he does have his awkward moments. And I for one rather like the more human side to Hodges.

I too would like to know why the man acts the way he does, says the things he says, and it's probably going to take someone with the determination like Wendy, for him to open up for us to see. He's quirky and a little odd, but I hardly think he's on the lower end of the scale...or that Wendy is way out of his league.

Now before I really get my mouth going, I'm going to get back on topic.

I was thinking the same thing and was going to point that out, but I wasn't quite sure what season it was nor was I clear on the exact scene...lol!

I absolutely loved the scene with superDave and Doc. I mentioned that already in a previous post, but had to mention it again...hilarious.

One of the scenes I found rather amusing was in the beginning...when Hodges gave dude a look after he explained the mirco-probe etc for $750. "750! Do I look like an idiot to you?" Next scene, there he is walking through the crowd with his newest overpriced purchase, big smile... made me laugh.

13. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

I'm sorry, but there is no way in heck anyone can convince me that someone who dances around with a headdress on his head or puts on a fortune teller hat (sorry I don't know what they're called) and pretends to tell people their futures with the evidence and admits to having a glitter fettish isn't that type of nerd. :lol: Come on! That's just absurd. Sorry, not buying it. I don't give a rat's tail what was in a previous script (IMO, the writers made a mistake there- Greg would TOTALLY be into sci-fi, there's no way he wouldn't be). I still don't buy it, never have, never will. :lol:

I think the point is being missed here. The writers have deliberately left Greg out (of scenes they could have easily included him in) on more than one occassion and it's really starting to tick people off. They could have very easily have shown them ask Greg. And if he's already gone home or has other plans, fine, but at least tell us that instead of leaving him out of the scene without out even a mention! The same goes for Cath. I wouldn't say that Cath wouldn't watch sci-fi either though. I once heard Cath say she watched Horror movies with Lindsey (they never get the spatter right, she said lol). So, I can't be certain that she wouldn't be into sci-fi either. :lol: They could at least had Wendy ask "aren't Cath and Greg going to join you?" and Nick saying "nah, they both went home. Cath's got to check in on Lindsey and Greg was tired." How long would that have taken? Ten seconds? Come on! It's not that hard to do!

That said, I still liked the episode for the most part. As goofy as Hodges' fantasies were, the episode was still funny and entertaining and there were some moral lessons thrown in as well. BTW, I'm not a Trekker/Trekkie (whatever the term is). I've seen some episodes of various ST shows and whatnot, but I was never a diehard fan of any of them.

I was glad to see Doc and SuperDave getting to have their funny little scene. SuperDave cracked me up.

14. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

Hey DJ calm down, I like this character Hodges, and the actor Wallace is amazing:thumbsup: I always crack up at his so full of himself attitude, like Ecklie the guy everyone loves to hate, they're great charactes on CSI, It's just my description of him was accurate, and you can put anyone down you want, I do respect peoples opinions, I just didn't like this particular episode, and if fans love Sci-Fi good for them, it's not for me:(, that's all I was saying so, I don't want to offend anyone about anything. In "The Evidence Never Lies" Hodges said to Grissom "I just tried to talk to Warrick and he shut down" Grissom goes "He shut you down" and on and on. I just think on these two people Wedges, I just don't see any thing happening. I did like 'Lab Rats" he lied to everyone to get into Grissoms office and be his nosy self, and try to help out, and he did, on the Minature Killer. The bleach factor, and Grissom was so pleased, that Hodges did a dance down the hallway:)

15. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

Because a. the scene was not written that way, b. the actors had gone off to shoot another scene to try and finish the season. or c. Riley had expressed an interest in the show earlier on in the episode and Nick thought he'd ask her and Langston just happened to be there.

And also, Nick has has formed new relationships. He probably feels a lot closer to Ray after Haley Jones.

In other words, Nick is opening up his world to new people and new interests..if that means leaving long-time colleagues behind, then hey ships do pass in the night and move on..that's life..