Could Canon Slash Work?

Discussion in 'Shipper Central' started by lament, Sep 2, 2006.

1. Kimbo08

Kimbo08 CSI Level One

I never thought of Hodges and Bobby D! I thought of Henry and Hodges, though!

2. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

Henry and Hodges..I don't know..Henry..hm..

What about Wendy and Mandy! Hey that would be cool! They are both so cute and adorable!

Nick would be dating Mandy and walks in on them kissing.

Nick: I don't know whether I should be shocked or delighted..

Mandy: Both!

3. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

:guffaw::guffaw:Now that would be funny. Just the idea of what Nick's expression would be. :lol:

I've never thought about Bobby/Hodges. I've thought a bit about Bobby/Henry though. :lol:

I definitely think if tptb were going to do a slash couple that they should go with minor characters like some of the labrats first to make sure they could pull off that kind of storyline before they go messing with the regulars. :lol: I would just be afraid they wouldn't do it justice. :lol:

4. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

Hmmm..I think I have an idea for a smut fan fic, but since this is a PG-13 board. I won't tell.

It would be kind of weird for CSI Vegas to do it so far into their run though. I mean maybe they could introduce us to Bobby's lover-that is the guy ever gets any screentime since he seems to have vanished into thin air.

5. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

I almost think they'd have to bring in new characters to make canon slash work. I mean, I'm open to any of the characters being bi or gay or whatever, but TPTB has pretty much bashed everyone over the head with the message that the current characters are straight. It wouldn't feel organic to me to have someone suddenly come out as bi or gay unless it was done right and I don't trust TPTB to do it right.

"Torchwood" is a good example of how to do it right. Sexuality isn't a big deal in the sense of straight, gay, bi, etc. Almost all of the characters have had sexual encounters with both sexes from the get go and it's not treated as a big deal.

As much as I'd love one or more of the existing characters on any of the shows in the franchise to come out as something other than straight I just don't see how it can be done organically with the way TPTB have gone out of their way to show everyone being straight.

6. happyharper13

happyharper13 Pathologist

I understand your point about the characters being presented as attracted, as far as we know, to the opposite sex. But the thing with that is that sexuality is a lot more fluid than just 'Choice A' or 'Choice B'. There's a fairly broad spectrum between 100% straight and 100% gay, assuming that such labels can even really exist. The Kinsey scale places most people's sexual histories between a 0 and a 6, with 0 being exclusively heterosexual history of encounters and 6 being exclusively homosexual history of encounters.

I'll use Greg as an example, since he's one of my favorite characters. As far as we know, he's been seen flirting and trying to ask out Sara, and he's told Nick that he had a girlfriend. He's also made fairly flirtatious comments about women in the past. Personally, I think he's flirted with male characters, though that's rather subjective. However, either way, all that really tells us is that he probably isn't a '6' (exclusively homosexual encounters). He could still easily be a 1 (predominantly heterosexual and incidentally homosexual history), a 2 (predominantly hetero, but more than incidentally homosexual), a 3 (equally hetero and homosexual), a 4 (predominantly homosexual and more than incidentally hetero) or a 5 (predominantly homosexual and incidentally hetero).

From what I've read, the Kinsey scale is still seen as overly simplistic. In reality, sexuality is very, very complex. Either way, the little hints we've gotten over the years about characters' sexualities aren't really enough to know whether they have the potential to be involved in slash relationships.

That said, there are still also new characters like Ray and Riley, about whom we still know very little.

7. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

And Tara on Miami. :)

8. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

I agree with what you're saying. I watch NY the most of the three shows, and I definitely see subtext going on and could easily see many of the characters being something other than 100% heterosexual. I guess for me it boils down to TPTB not being able to do it in a way that doesn't feel "gimmicky" or "stereotypical" based on what they've shown us about the characters so far. I definitely think canon slash would work if it's done right. And by right, I mean in a way that does illustrate that sexuality is fluid and complex and not just a bunch of boxes with labels on them where under certain circumstances people can move to a different box. It's my lack of faith in TPTB that has me thinking canon slash with the already established characters would be a complete disaster.

That's very true, too. I only watch NY on a regular basis, so those two examples didn't pop into my head. There's definitely more potential to "do it right" with characters who have been only recently introduced.

9. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

I'm dizzy after reading this post.:lol: My head is spinning.
    Can Greg be all five?

Last edited: Mar 30, 2009
  10. Hadapurpura

Hadapurpura Witness

What's the difference between pansexual and bisexual?

It may be a little weird, but I have never been able to imagine Hodges as someone who likes guys, even though he almost had a man-crush on Grissom... Bobby I could imagine, but not Hodges, for some reason.

ITA.

I think one of the issues with CSI is the age of the main characters (30+). They're not teenagers discovering their sexuality; they're adults with enough experience to more or less know what they like, or at least to know if they like the opposite sex or not. I ship The Love, but after Greg's crush on Sara and Nick's mother of all bad mornings after, I'd find it weird if they were all "wow, I just discovered I'm not really into girls, I'm 100% gay! how do I come out of the closet?". LV's specific issue is that there's a more important closet they'd have to be in since members of the same forensic team aren't allowed to date in LV.

A good way of exploring slash pairings between main characters (for example, Nick and Greg) would be simply to portray it as a deep friendship that becomes romantic (or a deep friendship with heavy subtext). It'd be easier to see them discovering the depth of their feelings and that they like each other than them discovering that they "like boys" or "like boys too".

I can imagine Riley having a relationship with a woman, I don't I could see Ray with a man (and he took his ring off before interviewing the Dick and Jane killer, so I guess he's married to a woman).

11. happyharper13

I don't think the ring is any indication. Same-sex couples aren't allowed to legally marry in most of the U.S., but that doesn't mean that they don't have civil unions or consider themselves married. They can still wear rings with or without an official marriage certificate. And, for all we know, he could have gotten married in some other country where gay marriage is legal. That said, my guess is definitely that Ray has/had a wife rather than a husband.

12. love_fan

love_fan CSI Level One

That's exactly what I think, too! They really shouldn't make a big deal out of it should one character discover they're in love with another character. If they write it well, no one (or at least few people) could object because it developed over some time and everyone could get used to it.

And I really like the idea of revealing Bobby's gay. Just a little side remark, a visit from his partner ... I'd be happy to see that much.

13. Hadapurpura

Hadapurpura Witness

That's right. But I based my suspicions in the fact that he took the ring off before talking to the Dick and Jane killer, which indicates he was taking precautions so that he and his partner wouldn't become the next ones and since he's the "Dick and Jane", not the "Dick and John" killer, my guess his other half is a female.

14. VelvetRose

VelvetRose Dead on Arrival

I don't really think a same sex couple on CSI would be all that different. Romance tends to take a back seat on the shows - it's hinted at or shown once or twice, and then it's pretty much sidelined in favour of being professionals.
    It'd be nice to have a same sex couple, but I'm not really sure who it could be.
    I mean, I know who I'd like it to be, but that's probably not gonna happen, lol.

15. happyharper13

I'd say that depends on the show. For Vegas, I'd agree that romance tends to be sidelined, but I don't think that that's necessarily the case for NY and Miami.