Could Canon Slash Work?

Discussion in 'Shipper Central' started by lament, Sep 2, 2006.

1. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

No to mention, there is still an element of homophobia in the law profession. That would be something the writers would have to take into consideration.

Hodges and BobbyD, that would be it's own tv show!:lol: Kind of like the slash version of Mad About You, or King of Queens!

Last edited: Feb 11, 2009
  2. Yumi696

Yumi696 Rookie

It should be able to work, but that doesn't mean that if they try it, it will. Most likely, they'll put in the stereotypical homosexual (butch female, feminine male) if they were ever to write that. I just wanna scream, "Not every gay person acts like the complete opposite sex!" I'm a... bisexual? lesbian? I never get this whole labeling thing... but I have a girlfriend, and I'm still feminine. I think that, despite my hopes, TPTB would write it all wrong. If only I could be there to help them out... ;) They should, one day though, try out some slash love on-screen. Maybe it'll work. :D

3. roximonoxide

roximonoxide Lab Technician

Let it be know that a supporting character on the new NBC show Southland is a gay member of the LAPD, and while I don't know all the details it sounds rather promising!

ETA: If primetime one hour dramas across the board start tastefully incorporating more GLBT characters I hope CBS isn't the last holdout.

4. Yumi696

Yumi696 Rookie

^ I heard about that. I'm so excited! I'm definitely putting Southland on my list of shows. :D

And he's not the stereotypical gay male either! Makes it all the more better. :)

5. happyharper13

happyharper13 Pathologist

Personally, I kind of doubt they'll do that (make a gay character stereotypically effeminate or a lesbian character stereotypically butch) just because we kind of have a gay character in canon. From what I've heard, Bobby D was supposed to have a scene where he came out of the closet to Grissom. IMO, Bobby D is definitely not someone who fits the more effeminate gay stereotype. Personally, I feel like CSI has dealt with sexuality in a very tasteful way. The fact that they made Ch-ch-changes the 100th episode, IMO, speaks volumes. And I do really think that the fact that they generally avoid canon romances lends itself well to at least being a relatively accepting pro-LGBT show just because it doesn't have an excess of heterosexual relationships juxtaposed with zero homosexual relationships. To me, that earns it a lot more respect than every show (like, for instance, Grey's Anatomy) that pairs up all of the characters with each other, but basically only in heterosexual relationships, and includes zero homosexual ones or one or two very poorly portrayed same-sex relationships that are included purely for shock value and/or novelty. I hope that all makes sense.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2009
  6. Yumi696

Yumi696 Rookie

^ Haha I mean more in the CSI: NY world... I don't know. I kinda lost some of my trust of the writers, and I have this little nagging feeling that if the CSI: NY writers ever wrote a gay character in, that character would be a total stereotype.

And yeah, you make total sense! :D

7. CareBare

CareBare Victim

I'm torn with this question.

On the one hand, as i'm a big Nick/Greg fan i would really love to see that ship become canon. One thing i really love about CSI is that their personal lives are hinted at through subtext and little snippets of information, so it would be quite easy for the writers to just up the flirting and touching a little and drop a few careful hints in the slash direction. They've already got so much chemistry that it wouldn't be an unbelievable relationship.

However, i very much doubt it will happen. For one, they'd be too worried about bad press concerning two actors who are considered pin-ups for the show, George Eads just being voted in the top 10 sexiet TV men, for example.

Plus, they would possibly be opening up controversial plot lines concerning homophobia within the police force, and disrimination, etc.

I dunno, maybe i'm over complicating it. It would be lovely to see. I think in the last episode of CSI, they should reveal Nick and Greg as having been a couple for ages, coz then they won't have to deal with any bad stick coz the show would be done. Perfect :)

8. Kimbo08

Kimbo08 CSI Level One

I think that it is great the NBC is having a gay character on one of their shows! More power to them! I just hope they do the character justice and not stereotypical (as happyharper said, no butch lesbians or feminine men) jus to get their point across. I'm sure if they write the characters well enough, they won't have to do that. I will say, I'm not surprised it's on NBC. They are one of the first networks I would have guessed. They aren't as conservative as others, ie CBS IMHO.

More power to NBC! May this be a major stepping stone, and may other networks follow suit!

9. Ginnna

Ginnna Lab Technician

I'm sure SOMEONE has already mentioned it, but the BBC has Captain Jack and Ianto on Torchwood together as a slash couple, or at least as slash lovers, without a lot of fuss or backlash. Jack is omnisexual (otherwise known as "pansexual") and Ianto is bisexual... but, again, slash lovers. I haven't seen much of Torchwood so I don't have any direct experience with the slash couple, but there are MANY many very supportive fans out there.

10. Yumi696

Yumi696 Rookie

Really? I gotta put Torchwood on my list of shows to watch. :D

If, and if they do make a slash relationship in the CSIs, then I just sincerely hope that they do it right.

11. Kimbo08

Kimbo08 CSI Level One

I agree. Because if they do it wrong, it will discourage people from viewing slash relationships the way they should be; the same as straight relationships.

I think I've said this before but I'm not sure, I would rather CSI hold off on doing slash if they are going to do it wrong. If the quality isn't going to be there, than I say avoid it.

12. Yumi696

Yumi696 Rookie

^ Exactly. :D

13. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

Someone get Fay in here! :D She loves Torchwood.

I do as well. I think Jack and Ianto are great together. Part of what I love is that there's none of the "OMG, are they gay? Do they like each other? What does it all meeeeaaan??" from either them or the other characters. Their romance developed organically, and man, does it work. It's hot. It's sexy. And they're right for each other.

I'd love to see something like that on one of the CSI shows, but I'm not holding my breath. ;)

14. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

I still for a Bobby Dawson and Hodges relationship.

Seriously, that would really liven up CSI. I can see them kissing in the lab and Nick walking by, jaw to the ground, rubbing the back of his head and then Langston would pat him on the shoulder and say, "Yes Nick, is it what you see.." Then Nick would say, "Guess the clown dancing in the crime lab was real."

"No Nick, that was an hallucination."

Sorry don't mean to go off topic. Back on topic.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2009
  15. love_fan

love_fan CSI Level One

Hm, Bobby and Hodges? Somehow I can't imagine them together although I always thought that Hodges has a man crush on Nick. And Bobby with his accent would fit in perfectly ...

I love Torchwood and I love Captain Jack but I can't get into Jack/Ianto *hides in shame* :( Although I love their scenes together and they make such a hot couple :thumbsup:.
    I'm so glad they have a gay couple on the show and no one really cares about them but I just don't see it, probably because I'm a Doctor/Jack shipper. Anyway, what I wanted to say is that in either Torchwood or Doctor Who the writers don't make a big fuss about gay characters. I remember an episode of DW where there were these two old ladies and they were married for years. No one blinked an eye at that "revelation". That's what I like so much about these shows.

I just don't think that CBS (or Americans in general) are comfortable enough with gay characters (or people in general) to deal with them so matter-of-factly.