Episode 7x19 - 'Target Specific' ***CONTAINS SPOILERS***

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by FieldMouse, Mar 21, 2009.

1. CoachMom

CoachMom CSI Level One

I, for one, am glad that they explain things to each other. Otherwise I'd have no clue what certain compounds or some procedures are. That's one of the things I like about this show (and Abby's somewhat long-winded explanations on NCIS). I personally, am now a smarter person. :p

Last edited: Mar 25, 2009
  2. Ginnna

Ginnna Lab Technician

Thank you. I was gonna say the same thing. In fact, this is one of my chief complaints about the show in general. I know it's a tactic the writers use to explain to the audience what's going on, but it's so annoying when it happens that I'd rather they DIDN'T explain it... because I've had the same reaction as you: "oh come on, they know what's going on, they don't need to explain it slowly and monosyllabically for each other".

[[edit]] LOL, looks like CoachMom feels differently about it! And that's OK. If she finds it educations and isn't annoyed, that's cool with me. Obviously it isn't a big enough annoyance to detract from my overall love of the program. It just seems silly to me sometimes, the way they give each other mini-lessons for stuff they both ought to know. Then again, like hiphugger17 said, everyone has their areas of expertise and their weak spots. Maybe Eric really does know a heck of a lot more about fingerprinting than does Calleigh. It wouldn't be a stretch to assume such a thing.

3. Marija_Magdalena

Marija_Magdalena Pathologist

Once when Ryan was explaining something to Eric, I said that it was stupid for him to explain because he's the younger CSI and Eric is supposed to know that. Latter I realized that explaining was there for us and not for the other CSI. Of course there was one person here who told me that it's not unusual for younger CSI to know something that more experienced one doesn't and that it was nice that they gave Ryan an oportunity to do something like that. If I'm not mistaken, Florry, you were that person... So, why is it a problem for you now if Eric explains something to Calleigh? I'm not trying to be mean here, I'm just curious...

4. luf100

luf100 Coroner

Unless the CSI's had some random, useless chit-chat, what else are they supposed to say while they work? I mean sure the random comment here or there about just whatever is fine, but usually it takes a few minutes for them to do what they're doing. I don't want to hear them talking about what they did the other night. Especially when it's completely unrelated and distracting, (if it's related then it's fine). While working on evidence I want to know what they're doing. It would bug me a lot more if they chatted rather than what they do now.

Unless they cut out all of the scientific scenes, or they do it in complete silence, what else would they say?

(I'm with CoachMom on this one. Obviously. :lol:)

5. Orla_Dark

Orla_Dark CSI Level Two

I'm not Florry, but i wanna write my opinion about this scene. First of all, i like when they explain things they doing in lab (i like chemistry in school and love when they talk about it). But i don't like the way they explain somethings. They can explain all things without made Calleigh looks dumb. She really thinks that he can destroy evidence? In front of her?

They can show it another way (they use it sometimes). Eric says that he can't take print in usual way. Calleigh see what he do and catch up what he gonna do (say it in loud "Oh, i get it, you wanna do this and this [says technical things]"). Then Eric says "Yeah, [then continue of technical things]". In that way, they explain audience things they don't know and Calleigh not dumb. Everyone happy.

6. Marija_Magdalena

Marija_Magdalena Pathologist

I don't think that scene made Calleigh look dumb at all, but I guess we'll just have to agree that we disagree. IMO, it was the same as with Eric and Ryan. I agree that it could have been done the way you said but it was done this way and I seriously doubt anyone would even notice that scene if there was any other person of the team there instead of Eric. I just have a feeling that since Eric and Calleigh are official, both EC shippers and non EC shipper are trying to catch EC moments, just for different reasons. If it was a scene between Calleigh and Natalia (and we need more of those, IMO) no one would say that Calleigh looked dumb. Of course, that's just my opinion and nobody has to agree. I just had the need to put my 2 cents out there.

7. Wasabi Power

Wasabi Power CSI Level One

The fact that everyone is a CSI, for me, pretty much rules out any question about how intellegent they are. I flunked chemistry twice, for crying out loud. :lol:

8. Orla_Dark

Orla_Dark CSI Level Two

I agree that we disagree :lol:

I don't go all shippy in post i wrote, it was my feeling about this scene. I think Eric looks dumb too (scene with Ryan in first Russian mob ep), but i don't care on Eric, don't like him. But i still like Calleigh (or trying), thats why i pay attention to her scene. I think when Eric saying Nat that he can take print from apple (if i'm not mistaken in Going under) it was ok,she was newbie back there. Back in seaon 5, Nat saying Ryan about formaldehyde in 5x10 "Come as you are", i think Ryan should know what formaldehyde means. Yeah, he was dumb too (but i love him, dumb or not :adore:) in that scene. So, no, i'm not mention ship things there. (we have thread for this ;))

9. hiphugger17

hiphugger17 Coroner

I think that the minute she saw that he was going to rub a cloth on the print she wasn't about to stop and think "hmm I guess he knows what he is doing cause he wouldn't destroy evidence". I think that anybody's reaction would have been to tell the person inmediately to stop cause one doesn't know exactly what is going on. So her reaction was very CSI, she thought first about the evidence being preserved and then about whatever explanation his action could have.

That's kind of what they did.
    He explained the print was trapped under a layer of wax and that that was the reason he had to "destroy" it with the liquid she brought to get it out. In this instance he did the explaining. After they explained who are the people who waxes knives he went on to do the procedure and then she said "oh I get it..." and actually she explained what he was doing, he just confirmed it. So she caught on pretty quickly.

I agree ;)

10. Orla_Dark

Orla_Dark CSI Level Two

Kind of, but still she look dumb in my opinion. It's what she say, it's how she act in common. I believe my eyes, and eyes see her dumb in that scene.
    Imo, her first reaction should be "i trust this CSI, he is professional", even if she don't understand what he doing.

Why i should protect my opinion? I have feeling that you guys trying hard to change it? :confused:

11. hiphugger17

hiphugger17 Coroner

Not trying to change it but expressing our opinion as you express yours ;). We don't have to agree but this is precisely why we come here...to express our points of view and to discuss the show. Probably nothing we say will make you see Cal different in that scene as probably nothing that people say about her being dumb will make us think she was. But we come and we discuss and we express :).

12. squinn1201

squinn1201 Rookie

Wow! A lot of discussion on this and next week's exciting episode! I began a new thread (I hope that is okay) for 7.20! Why don't you check it out and leave a post.:thumbsup:

13. Hollyyo

Hollyyo CSI Level Two

One thing you guys should know, they have to have some way to explain part of the process. For some reason last season they decided to have Ryan look like the dumb one going around asking questions about what people were doing but not really doing any work himself....

Anyway, if they didn't explain the process to someone else, we would have no clue what was going on!

I personally didn't notice Calleigh seeming dumb in that scene(mostly because I was waiting for Ryan drama), but I can see how it might look that way. Whenever one CSI asks the other about what they are doing it's kind of unavoidable for them to sound kinda stupid. It makes you think, shouldn't they know that already? But they've got to explain it somehow.

Even though he was rubbing that wax off, it still seemed like he rubbed it too hard...

14. Hallie

Hallie Dead on Arrival

Yes, it is odd how all the csi shows explain thing and if this was a real csi not a tv show then they wouldn't but if they didn't then nobody would get what they are doing so it is the only way they can do it. Like all dramas they have to find a way to tell the audience personally i don't find them being dumb Imo people are being to critical but i think without it we would be more confused and frustrated with the show

15. anamarya

anamarya Witness

me too... i'm with you on this.... i like when they explain everything in a serious technical way (as much as i like Abby's strange explanations).
    is not unusual for one of them to know more about one subject more than about another subject. they all know (probably) the basics about all parts of the process: balistics, dna, prints, trace, etc.but everyone of them has an area of expertise where he/she knows more then the others. for me is very natural because is happening at my work: we all know the basics af every aspect of electrical engineering, but everyone of us has one, 2even 3 subjects that he/she studied more,in which worked for more time and we constantly explain stuff when we work togheter. and i'm speaking here abpuyt the interactions withthe guys that are my own ageand with the same degrees,not about the older guys. but goiung back to miami asfar asi know: Cal has balistics, Eric has prints (and not only fingerprints) ,Nat has DNA, .. i'm not sure about Ryan even if i saw him more in the A/V lab then the other characters.

on the dumb factor i agree with Wasabi Power.... they're CSI's.... they can not be dumb...