Eric/Calleigh romance - why we dislike it. **spoilers**

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by mjszud, Feb 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

Yeah, I guess that is a big number. I'm actually surprised by it (especially given the age). I think it just proves that all the promoting they did of this storyline turned more people off than they intended. It happens with movies too. If a movie is hyped up too much before it's released 7 out of 10 times the movie doesn't do very well at the box office. They also might have dragged the storyline out too long and some people [who may have liked it before] just grew tired of it (like many did with the D/L storyline). Though there are still plenty who did still like it. But, 65% is still a large number. Especially giving the fact that most people nowadays have the ability to record one thing for viewing later and watch something else at the same time (whether it's a VCR in another room or DVR/Tivo). Do those ratings cover the whole "record to watch later" things too? I mean, are they added to the percentage who tuned in?

Yeah, I don't get the attraction to those kinds of reality shows either. :lol: I watch American Idol, but that's about it. Although I think some reality shows are scripted as well... or at least exaggerated. :lol:

Last edited: Mar 9, 2009
  2. mjszud

mjszud Captain

I think TPTB should let this rating thing wake them up a bit. I'm sure a lot of people tuned in because it was the finale of the bachelor, but it isn't just that. Look at Vegas - they drew in 20 million viewers for an episode that featured a "pop star", & it was a fabulous episode(not because of her IMO) but they managed to take an entire 44 minutes of this show & squeeze in great cases, great character development, even managing to show some emotion, as well as showing a bit of team spirit.
    It was perfectly done, & WITHOUT romance.....what does that tell TPTB?!?! Gosh, I just wish they would wake up & see what makes a good crime show.

I don't expect a rip off of Vegas by any means, I enjoy Miami for "who they are" but still there are so many entertaining stories they could be focusing on other than a couple joined at the hip for the past 2 seasons!
    Give it a rest!

3. SaraBeth18

SaraBeth18 Hit and Run

I must say that I like Eric and Calleigh but I dislike their relationship. I am afraid it will ruin the connection between there abilities to work on the cases and it will make the show unenjoyable. I am hoping for the best though.

4. Florry86

Florry86 CSI Level Three

You can't even imagine how I enjoy reading this comment about this particular scene. It's the first time I've seen someone brave enough to expresse his/her idea (sorry I don't know whether you're male or female :lol:).
    When I first saw it I got really pissed off with Calleigh since she decided to help Eric with that cheat sheet. Sorry, but I'm not able to justify her choice even if she really loves him. Think about what that piece of paper caused to her. It helped Cooper create his hilarious/creepy website and we all know what happened because of it.
    So I don't think there's any way to say her behaviour in that moment wasn't stupid. I know she's much smarter than she showed in that moment (sorry I don't want to offend Calleigh since I still enjoy seeing her in that lab, but it was stupid, IMHO. And I'm talking as a Calleigh's fan ;))
    So if Calleigh's behaviour was pretty odd/stupid, I do think that Delko's one was even worse. We all know that she told him not to go to Stetler, but if he had been a real MAN, he would have gone to Stetler's office and would have faced his own responsibilities. His injury put her in danger. No matter if he's not ok, he has to face his responsibilities especially in this case. I mean if his injury can put people in danger, he should be the first one to resign and leave the lab so that he can recover properly, something he hasn't done....never!!!

You couldn't express this idea in a better way!!!
    I really loved Eric in the first 4 & 1/2 season b/c you could see that he was a real man even with every man's lacks!
    Right now I can't recognise him anymore. I do understand it's all part of his injury (I don't think you can't deny it affected him a lot not to mention that it kinda changed his personality), but I just can't deny I'm tired of his puppy dog eyes whenever he's with Calleigh.
    She the chief in that couple. Not to mention that she's much older than him. I don't have anything against age differences, but when a woman is older than a man (IDK in this case, but I'm pretty sure it's at least 7 years older) it's pretty difficult, IMO.
    I may sound feminist with this comment, but when 2 people (1 man & a woman) are the same age, the woman is much more mature than the woman. So you can't even imagine how the situation can be with a woman who's 7 years older than her man.
    I've always said that Eric is way immature & some of his actions (toothing, jealousy & his fear to reveal his feelings for Calleigh) showed it in a pretty good way.
    So I just don't see any future for this couple considering Delko's maturity, Calleigh's age and Delko's puppy dog eyes. I mean that's not the man I'd love to be together with :lol:

I have to say that Calleigh is way too dominant for Eric. He's passive whenever he's with her.
    I know that women, recently, are much stronger than they used to be, but I wouldn't enjoy Calleigh whiping him just to give him some orders.
    Ok that she's a bullet girl, but hey, after all she's still a woman ;)

As much as his confession about his toothing habits to Calleigh was pretty disgusting, I enjoyed that moment b/c you could see she wouldn't be too shocked by a revelation like that 'cause she was his best friend.
    Now I can't even picture these 2 together with the idea that, before, he changed his girlfriend every week and he used to tooth :lol:

Well I can't deny that I'm happy to see these results 'cause yes they kinda confirm my theory that E/C is not helping the show at all.

People will always say that Bachelor's episode was the last one, but gosh this was supposed to be the best E/C episode EVER!!
    Once we've got it, we don't have the right results. I think it kinda prooves my theory that E/C is not good for the show.
    Not to mention that I'll always say the majority of us are bored with this storyline since it's been more than 2 years!!!

So I'm happy for this result, though I'd love another result for a show I learned to love! ;)

Well as far as I know people are free to express their opinion and whenever someone says he/she doesn't see any chemistry, it all should be free.
    Not to mention that chemistry is something subjective. You can see it as I can't see it. But the fact someone doesn't see what you see, it doesn't make you blind as you said. Not to mention it's kinda unrespectful towards the people who don't see what you do. I mean it's kinda saying "you don't have my opinion, so you shouldn't express it". Well that's not my idea of a forum ;)

Last edited: Mar 9, 2009
  5. mjszud

mjszud Captain

That could've been a lot of people's (average viewers) reactions as well. Think about it, they may watch CBS or pick up the TVGuide & see E/C is the "top feature" of this episode - perhaps they took a look at that & went "this again?:rolleyes:".
    I can certainly see where average viewers would be bored stiff over it, not to mention that it was yet another centric episode for Eric.
    I've always enjoyed Vegas, but the season that all the focus was on Sara leaving (after Dead Doll premier) & Grissom - I grew incredibly bored & didn't even watch that season. It wasn't until the finale with Warrick's shooting that sucked me back into the show.
    All I'm saying is that this kind of thing does & will become a complete bore to viewers, & in E/C's case where it's been plastered all over every interview, article, you name it for 2 ongoing seasons in every other episode - then yes, stick a fork in it - it's done!

6. doublehelix

doublehelix Police Officer

I think I'm going to disagree with MJ on the Sarah/Grissom storyline. Speaking for myself I thought TPTB for LV handled the balance on Grissom/Sarah surprisingly well. But that discussion is for another place and time.

Now, with regards to this Eric/Calleigh thing, I am in full agreement. It's been incredibly crass in the way Miami's TPTB have pushed this so-called romance.
    I supposed everyone saw on the front page of this site that CSI Miami dropped a spot in the Monday night ratings, to "The Bachelor" of all things!
    In addition, on various other sites, their have been a number of comments made that E/C's "kiss" appeared lame and passionless.

One tends to wonder what is going through TPTB's minds. It's like being force-fed Eric/Calleigh-"You will watch it and like it!!!" seems to be the approach here.

My take on the situation-Calleigh is on the rebound and Jake is still stuck in her head. However, she won't admit it. She's supposed to the strong and unflappable one. Eric, on an emotional level, still does not now which way is up and thus still seems pathetic and needy.

All are welcome to fire back at me at will.

Toodles!!

7. GregNickRyanFan

I agree about the cheat sheet thing. That has always bugged me.

8. mjszud

mjszud Captain

Compared to E/C, I thought the balance with GSR was fine - they handled it well, & it wasn't nearly as in our face. For me, it just became a little boring & I lost interest, that's all.

I think that one word fit's this couple perfectly, from both parties.
    I'm not going to delve into great detail here but it does seem to me that the both of them are merely settling for each other because they've both lost what they had wanted beforehand. Maybe that isn't what TPTB had intended on it meaning, but it definitly looks that way to me given the events that took place before & during thier "exploring".
    Either way, it still shows a great deal of how pathetic these 2 look.

9. Ginnna

Ginnna Lab Technician

Lemme see if I understand the objections against Eric/Calleigh romance that I've seen so far:

(1) There's too much media attention on the E/C relationship.
    (2) E/N and C/J were much better than the E/C relationship.
    (3) Calleigh compromises her integrity for Eric and they are therefore a bad couple.
    (4) Eric is a wimp with Calleigh, not a "real man", and they are therefore a bad couple.
    (5) The progression of their romantic relationship has been contrived, overdone and unrealistic.
    (6) E/C has little/no chemistry.

Is this accurate? Did I leave anything out?

10. Florry86

Florry86 CSI Level Three

Well put in this way, it sounds pretty bad :lol:.
    But if you wanted it, I'd say yes.

My only objecton is this one:
    (3) Calleigh compromises her integrity for Eric and they are therefore a bad couple.
    Calleigh helping Eric doesn't mean they're a bad couple. But when she's put in danger because of him (and hey I don't think there's any way to deny it considering his cheat sheet) and she doesn't face it properly just avoiding this theme and when he doesn't consoider bad anything he has done....well I see their credibility falling down.
    He would have helped her by facing his problems with Stetler, but he didn't do it.
    Same thing for her. She's not just helping Eric (in that case I'd be more than happy). She lost her integrity (the srhink's files stuff was even worse and I won't consider it) and quite honestly I woulnd't love a CSI like this Calleigh to investigate on my murder.
    What about if Stetler discovered it??? Surely her carreer would be compromised, same thing for Eric & I do think that also the rest of the team would be included. With an action to help Eric she's just destroying her reputation along with the whole team credibility.
    It doesn't necessarily makes you a bad couple, it just makes you a bad person, something you haven never been! ;)
    That's my biggest qualm with this couple ;)

11. Delynn

Delynn CSI Level One

Thank you. And I'm a woman. ;)

Again, I come back to why didn't one or both of them go to Horatio. You can fault Horatio for many things, but not being there for his people when they need him is not one of them. (And I won't accept the instances when Horatio is not there for Calleigh in the last couple of years as an exception since it appears that behinds the scenes issues are the reason for that.)

Horatio has proved over and over again that he can deal with Stetler. The kicker here will be when Stetler shows up, finds out about this little E/C relationship and invokes the fraternization policy, it will most probably be Horatio that takes him on and saves E/C's butts.

His issues put himself, anyone he works with and the public he is supposed to protect in danger. As a police office (as Miami CSIs are) he is expected to not only protect the public but back up his fellow officers. If he is struggling to the extent that he needs Calleigh to constantly cover and take the blame when he messes up, he shouldn't be on the job.

It makes sense for Eric to change after the shooting. But his actions call into question his ability to perform his job functions. He seriously needs to retake his proficiences (that Calleigh stepped in and prevented him from taking) and possibly get counseling.

I've had many friends who have had sucessful relationships with younger men. It really depends on the individuals involved in the relationship. I really don't believe that age is that big a deal.

But you're right, Eric has never been a very responsible or mature individual and he seems very comfortable letting Calleigh just take over and tell him how it should be. It's like a child doing what mommy tells him to do.

12. Delynn

Delynn CSI Level One

You know, I don't really know. They have something about DVRs in the text, but I have to admit I don't understand what they are saying. I think that they indicated that the weekly ratings report would more accurately reflect how many DVRed and watched later - which could be quite a few.

Too be honest, I don't how they can even accurately record ratings any more. It's way above my head. :)

13. Finch

Finch Funnier in Enochian Super Moderator

*bumps in for a minute* Just wanted to address a couple of things in here, in regards to what I saw on the previous page.

Firstly, let's please not label other posters as 'haters' and similar.

Also, as others have said - on both sides - one's opinion on what constitutes chemistry may not necessarily be the same for someone else so let's not assume someone has to be this or that not to see it/to see it.

I realize it's not everyone doing this and things have been pretty respectful for the most part, so let's keep it that way. :)

Back to your regularly scheduled programming. (I need to stop sleeping in--y'all sure have a lot to say!)

14. GregNickRyanFan

Yeah, I don't get the whole ratings tallying thing myself. :lol: And I've done Neilsens a couple of times. :lol: You have to fill out a little booklet of everything you watch every day for I think it's a week or two. And I think the second time, I had to fill out what I recorded as well. :lol:

The unfortunate thing about them having a romance between E/C is that it divides the fan base (just as GSR did).

Me personally, I just prefer E/C as friends just as I would prefer Ryan/Cal as friends (as opposed to a couple).

15. Florry86

Florry86 CSI Level Three

You're welcome!! :D Perfect, I'm a woman too ;)

IDK whether there are some behind the scenes issues or not. I'm pretty sure they exist, but we can't speculate on them and, unless we have a confirmation, nothing happened behind the scenes.
    BUT, this can't justify Horatio's total absence from this scene. Better say this can't justify Calleigh behaviour who didn't trust him.
    I do think he knows something about this stuff, but he's more worried because of his family.
    Possibely Horatio is the only one who can't be blamed for the whole E/C going on especially this particular moment.
    Calleigh is a normal CSI, she's not a lieutenant. She may have more power than Eric, but still when something happens to her she should face her problem with H.
    In 7x19 someone is going to attack her and will take her gun off. She'll tell everything to H and H will help her to track down the mob guy and to get her gun back. So I don't think it's that difficult for her to talk with H when she has a problem :p
    In "Down to the Wire" she deliberately didn't do it and we all are left with the reason "she helped Eric".
    Well in that case she lost her integrity to help Eric. Same thing did Eric when he made her go on with her choice (he did say he was going to Stetler, but he never went to visit him).
    So Horatio is the last person to blame in this case.
    I would kinda blame Ryan too, who discovered that something was wrong between Calleigh & Delko, but that's another story and I'm still convinced Ryan will be part of a completely new & refreshing storyline ;)

I've always said that I'd love to see Delko fired because of everything he has caused to Calleigh, the team and Miami.
    As a person with a bullet still lodged in his brain (also Diddy's character mentioned it in the last episode) he shouldn't be working. Not to metnion that he shouldn't use Calleigh to cover all his mistakes. Of course he's not doing it on purpouse, but once the other CSIs will find it out, they'll be pissed off along with me, Stetler and lot of Miami citizens (some of them were put in jail because of him and I'm quite sure that some of them aren't that guilty....especially Kurt Rossi b/c,IMHO, he was the only one right in that episode) ;)

That's another thing I don't get, quite honestly. Why on heart he can go on working as if nothing happened? I mean he has that damn bullet in his head & he has never retaken his proficiences since that moment? I know we didn't see it, but Calleigh took them instead of him. So it's pretty clear he has never done it.

He's always pictured like the prince charming he's not, like the perfect guy who every woman should get engaged with. Quite honestly, I wouldn't get together with a guy like Eric Delko, especially the one from "Man Down".
    Not to mention that he's pictured like the guy you have to pity. Gosh I don't want this Eric Delko :scream:

I've had many friends who have had sucessful relationships with younger men. It really depends on the individuals involved in the relationship. I really don't believe that age is that big a deal.

But you're right, Eric has never been a very responsible or mature individual and he seems very comfortable letting Calleigh just take over and tell him how it should be. It's like a child doing what mommy tells him to do.[/quote]
    Well I do think it has something to do with their age, but yes he always looks like a little child whenever he's with her.
    Trust me my dog has the same eyes Eric Delko has whenever he's with Calleigh. And my dog is aksing for some food.
    I don't want to offend him, but it's not the macho Eric Delko I've known. I know he's changed and kinda "matured". But I saw far more maturity when Marisol died than when Calleigh retook her (wll better say his :p) proficiences because of him. Gosh he wasn't mature at all!!!

speed_cochrane
    read & understood :thumbsup:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.