Eric/Calleigh romance - why we dislike it. **spoilers**

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by mjszud, Feb 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ginnna

Ginnna Lab Technician

Ah ha... well, like I said, I don't recall seeing any promos at all except for the 2 most recent promos. So now I know about 5 or 6.

Is promoting a relationship in a police procedural / forensic show an abnormal advertising technique? I'm asking honestly. Like I said, I don't watch a lot of promos. I just record my shows on the DVR and it usually cuts off before I can see the promo.

But again, I've got to ask... why do you and other folks seem to consider advertising and media attention to be just as significant as the show itself? I mean, it might be somewhat annoying to be told about the possible development of a ship you don't like, but the actual plot of the show takes place on the show itself, so I don't understand why it matters that advertising spins and blows things out of proportion because (1) that's just what advertising is about, no big surprise there, and (2) it's the SHOW that's important.

I'm sorry, I don't mean to be rude or seem stupid, but... if they work together in scenes that show no trace of romance, what does it matter if they work together a lot? Is it that you'd like to see more team interaction, or character-to-character interaction between characters besides Calleigh and Eric? If that's the case, I agree. I'd like to see more camaraderie, more collaboration between everyone, etc. But I don't think it's awful to see characters work together if they're getting the case solved. That's the important part, is it not? The case?

2. greatfan

greatfan Captain

You hit the nail on the head ,for me anyway. I would like to see more camaraderie , intereaction and other characters working with C/E or instead of, on a more consistent basis. Kristine Huntley stated in her review of Monday night's show that other characters have been neglected.The team aspect would be great to see again.The characters are an important aspect of the show as well,all of them.If it's just the case itself that's important,why not have the other characters that are underused work more to solve cases? Actually,it is awful to see so much of the same two characters when you are interested in and would like to see all the characters.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2009
  3. Delynn

Delynn CSI Level One

Ginna, I do watch a number of entertainment new type shows, I read a lot online and I read a lot of magazines. Almost all promotional information and all interviews related to CSI Miami in at least the last year have related in one way or another to Calleigh and Eric's "relationship".

I don't seek out that type of interview because I find the relationship extremely annoying. But when I see something related to CSI Miami, I'm usually drawn to it because I'm a fan of the show.

The last time I saw an interview with Eva La Rue she wasn't even asked about her character. She was asked about her personal life (she was still planning to marry at the time), what it was like to work with David Caruso, and how excited was she that Calleigh and Eric were finally getting together.

There is a subliminal message when you very rarely see them work with anyone else, just as there is a subliminal message when you see that Horatio and Calleigh don't have the time of day for each other. These 30 second quick scenes with them every 10 episodes or so is really rather insulting to the audience, IMHO.

The message is they are a couple. It's all Calleigh and Eric, all the time. Like they don't want anyone to mess up the plan. I still believe that TPTB are trying to hard to sell this thing. And they shouldn't have to. It should sell itself. True chemistry doesn't have to be sold. Chris Carter tried to kill it with Duchovny and Anderson. The last thing he wanted was Mulder and Scully romantically involved. Those two had such a chemistry it simply wouldn't die.

This relationship may make it the long hall. They are certainly servicing the more vocal fans with it and I doubt they want the wrath of the vocal group to come down on them if they shift gears.

But as I said, I do a lot of reading and their really are more people who find this relationship contrived then you'd think.

E/C shippers are on top of the world right now and very defensive of the fact that their "ship" has come in when people state an opposing viewpoint. I understand that. But those who don't feel "it" also have a point of view.

4. jolein

jolein Pathologist

The point which comes back evertime is what is chemistry cause what you don`t think is chemistry,someone else might see as chemistry.

Besides,they are a couple now,so it is no wonder the higher ups are selling and milking it for what it is worth.
    Just like they did with Grissom and Sara.and just what they do with Danny and Lindsay.

I think someone on the NY forum said it perfectly,on the messageboards is only a minority of the people who watch the show and those people are the ones who discus it.
    So,while it is in discussion here and while some people might dislike the couple,it isn`t said that everybody feels that way.

5. Delynn

Delynn CSI Level One

I've never disagreed with that sentiment. My point has always been that there IS a segment of fans who don't see any chemistry and ignoring or dismissing their feelings doesn't make it any less so.

Ah, but there's there is where I will disagree with you. Grissom/Sara and Danny/Lindsay was not milked and sold. In both instances it was a subtle relationship that fans were allowed to get comfortable with and it was never promoted in every magazine and interview.

Again, we agree. The online community is a very small part of the fans who watch CSI Miami. And I have NEVER said that "everybody feels that way" with regard to not seeing chemistry or finding this hook up contrived, and I don't think anyone else here has either.

I believe that it's time for us to agree to disagree. :)

6. jolein

jolein Pathologist

I don`t know if you have followed the D/L saga but they weren`t develop slowly.
    In fact it was near the end of the ship untill the actress became pregnant and the writers decided to write it in.
    And suddenly they were all lovely dovely which was not realistic(I suggest reading the NY forum for more info:))

But I agree,let`s just agree to disagree:)

7. inthewind

inthewind CSI Level Two

Very true that this community is a minute segment of the show's fan base, but it might serve as a barometer. Consider the reasons for this thread: (a) There is nowhere else to discuss any opposition to this ship here and (b) It's obvious tptb read these boards; that became apparent during the writer's strike last year and the noticeable changes in the new episodes that followed.

Without this thread as a viable voice of opposition, TPTB would not be aware of the significant numbers of viewers who feel strongly enough on the subject to express their discontent.

8. Delynn

Delynn CSI Level One

Of course you're right, Inthewind. It's obvious by the number of posters who were grateful for a place to finally express how they felt that this thread was necessary.

I'm very grateful. My strong feelings on this subject made it more important for me to speak out then to remain hidden. It is not my nature to post. I usually am content to sit back and enjoy what others share. Too many flamewars on other boards less well moderated. I was assured that flaming and bashing doesn't happen here. :)

I know that the E/C relationship is a sore subject for a lot of fans. I feel like the E/C shippers think some of us are purposely trying to rain on their parade. I don't think that's true at all. I think a storyline has developed that a significant number of fans are concerned about and they just want the respect and freedom to express those concerns.

It's obvious that fans who have been very focused on this show have a totally different concept of events leading up to this relationship. It is highly doubtful that anyone is going to change their mind about how they feel.

So we live with it. It's all we can do. For those of us who don't care for the Calleigh/Eric hook up, we can only hope that the other characters are given their fair share of interesting and challenging storylines and that the "relationship" fades to something we are only forced to deal with on an occasional basis. And when we are we can hope it's subtle and not over-the-top.

9. vsuga

vsuga Rookie

I think after Sink or Swim they'll start to fade out their relationship. I'm a big fan of E/C thing but I wouldn't want to see endless epi's about their relationship. I a littler here and there is better then overkill.

10. inthewind

inthewind CSI Level Two

;)
    I hope you're right! A little goes a long way.

11. Kerosene

Kerosene Witness

I personally enjoy the ship. I am however DuCaine at heart. I personally don't think that they have let the ship control the show. I felt that the balanced it very well in this last ep. Of course if the ep is focused on either Cal or Eric there is going to be obvious attention on the ship. Just like Hortatio's relationships tend to be focused on during a Hortatio ep.

I personally feel at this time that I really just want the charaters to be happy and if being together makes them happy then I'm for it. Someone had mentioned earily that they felt that this was against Cal's charater....well charaters change and again I really just want to see her happy. People don't always make the best choices in life and sometimes you do have to lead with your heart and not with your head. Her and Jake were destined to fail. He is too much of a "bad boy" to ever be happy at a normal police job.

I think with Boa Vista's charater they intended to do much more with her but are not sure where to take her now. It was like that with Cal's charater for awhile too, she was just kind of there and we caught glimpses of her at work but not much else. They burnt the dad thing to the ground and didn't know where to go next. I think its the same with Boa Vista, they had her with Eric, pregnancy scare, abusive ex, dead abusive ex, sister kidnapped....now she is floating in limbo..where to go next. I feel its the same with Ryan (where did that ship go by the way?) they just aren't sure where to take him now.

Horatio has always been IMHO the main focus of the show and its nice to see that starting to shift some.

12. Orla_Dark

Orla_Dark CSI Level Two

I read Romance heating up Miami article and what i see Adam and Emily did sexy photoshoot. When we last time have whole cast and characters by one photoshoot? Season 5! And now in season 7 they did EC shoposhoot, what about everyone else? :(

Thats what buging me in that romance, it's so obviously was set up and they advert this romance more and more, maybe it's enough?

I'm really hope that you all is right and now they slow down with this.

13. mjszud

mjszud Captain

^^ Yeah, that should've been something on the cover of Soap Opera Digest, or some arcticle for Grey's or Desperate Housewives, but it ticks me off too when it's something like that, that's out there representing this show.

Quite honestly, I don't see how it's possible that continuing this storyline will start to sit in the background now that they're together. TPTb are not likely going to have them "just happily together" & nothing else....there's going to be things they want to play around with (lord only knows what - there isn't much left, IMO) & roll in drama & all that garbage. More boring stuff for us to sit through while the other characters take backseat.
    I don't have much faith in these writers right now; they've gone beyond milking this thing for all it's worth.
    Some change of pace would be nice to see on this show, & continuing further with a story they've already been plugging away at for 2 long seasons is just plain annoying & not at all refreshing to watch. This show needs something completely NEW, imho.
    I'm not speaking for all fans here, but I'm quite sure that other folks have gotten to the point of feeling like this "story" has already gone beyond stale.

14. Delynn

Delynn CSI Level One

Actually, while I don't like the E/C storyline, I do think that the writing this season has shown signs of improvement. I'm beginning to see hints of the old Horatio and I'm lovin' it.

I also think it's important to remember that the writers are not responsible for where the show is heading. That responsiblity rests with the show runner - in this case I believe that is Ann Donohue. She's proven in the past that she likes to mess with fans. I seem to remember an interview a couple of years back, TV Guide if I'm not mistaken, in which she stated that in an upcoming episode Horatio would almost die. The episode aired and nothing even close to that happened.

Attempting to generate excitement is one thing. Purposely misleading and making mistatements to get people to watch, only to have them find out that you puposely mislead them indicates a lack of respect for the fans.

I prefer the approach of the show runner for NCIS. He has stated if you promise the fans something exciting, then you better step up and deliver it. And he does. That philosophy shows he respects the fans of his show.

I agree that dragging the E/C 'will they or won't they' drama out for so long may have made some fans tired of this relationship before it even starts. That's not my issue with it. I've already stated my problems with this storyline and I won't repeat it again.

I believe the best we can hope for is that the E/C relationship is kept in perspective and that the other characters are not lost in what to me feels like an almost desperate attempt to sell this E/C relationship to the masses.

It's time to give the other characters their moment. More importantly it's time to acknowledge the fans of the other characters on the show and give them the respect they have earned as loyal viewers of the show.

I love Horatio (especially when Super H is on vacation). I could watch him the entire hour. But he gets plenty of story time, generally. So I won't complain about Horatio except to say I wish he wasn't everyone's default whipping boy for all problems related to every character on the show. And the one everyone likes to stomp on in an attempt to deflect criticism of their favorite character.

Ryan, Natalia, and especially Frank, and their fans deserve their moments now. A little Valera, Dr. Price and Travers for their fans would be nice as well.:)

Last edited: Mar 6, 2009
  15. iloveEC

iloveEC Victim

I've read almost all of your posts and I can finally say how I feel.
    Obviously, I am an EC shipper. But I do agree with you guys and I can understand how you may feel. Unlike some of you, I have absolute faith that the writers will NOT put all focus on the EC relationship in every or almost episode. Because of the way NY and Vegas turned out after they put emphasis on a pairing, I think the writers will learn from those mistakes and not let a show be all about them. And yes, the other CSIs have been robbed of their screen time but like delkolover mentioned earlier, this is the "honeymoon." After the hype dies then all should be well in Miami Heaven.

I do miss the interactions of all the CSIs working together but I'm sure we'll be getting that back soon.

I personally think its obvious why Adam and Emily are getting so much press lately. Two of Miami's leading characters are finally hooking up after seasons of dancing around each other, plus its March and we all know what that means (SWEEPS!). All this press is just to promote the episode since EC were practically getting there. I mean you have to understand that Eric and Calleigh's hookup is definitely interesting in some way. So many things can go wrong and they are going against the rules. This just calls for some sort if media coverage in on itself.

As for the EC story going "stale" I highly doubt that will happen. Yes almost everything that can go wrong between Eric and Calleigh does but the writers didnt have them take two seasons to get together just to have them tramatizedd and breakup in a matter of months. If this was a fling as someone mentioned already then they would've gotten it done and out of the way by now. The couple will not be the main attraction in every episode mostly because it will not be CSI Miami if they were and because the writers will be having them together for a while (at least thats the message I'm getting).

But enough of me defending EC. I'll let you guys rant and vent, I just had to put my two cents in. I'm sure you all would understand if you see a thread dedicated to the dislike of your own shipping. I know I was curious as to what you guys were thinking about EC's blooming relationship and after reading all of these posts I figured you guys needed to see my point of view even if I'm sure most of you have gotten bashed for your opinions by other strong personalities on this site. Though I definitely understand why you all are so upset. If my ship was basically shot down to hell than I'd be kinda pissed too. I'm not pointing anyone out as jealous (though I know I'd be) but you've gotta be feeling something along those lines. Right?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.