CSI:NY Season 5 Spoiler Discussion - This City Never Sleeps

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Faylinn, Jan 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

It's almost as ridiculous as Lindsay wearing a white shirt. :lol: :p

2. ~Sarah~

~Sarah~ Lab Technician

It's obviously a very casual/laid-back wedding. They were never going to do a big CSI wedding - in regards to the characters (there have been crime scenes at weddings before).

3. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

Meh - I still say if a guy wants a girl to marry him, he can at least change his shirt. It's the little things. :p There's 'laid back' and then there's 'I barely give a crap'. Some might think the whole thing looks cute, but to me it just smells like doing only as much as is absolutely necessary.

Of course, maybe they're setting us up so that in a year or two she can throw it in his face that they never had a real wedding. *headdesk*

4. Fruitbat

Fruitbat CSI Level Two

Thanks for the heads up of the pics its nice to be able to see a slightly larger version... I love the shot with Mac and Adam. I am looking forward to Adams part in the ep. The other part...well the sooner its over with really..sorry guys but this whole couple/pregnant/married thing just makes me want to cringe.

Its a pity they dont seem to releasing the the hi res versions of this seasons pics..I would love a good hi res copy of the Mac Adam pic..:(

Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
  5. electra

electra Pathologist

I can't even tell how upset I am to have a wedding on CSI .And the fact that is with such an insipid couple makes me cringe.At the same time ,I am really looking forward to Adam storyline.Thank God for DVR!!Maybe I will be lucky to have Angel on that episode but who knows.Hopefully the wedding will last less then 30 seconds.

6. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

Please--in a year or two, she'll have graduated to physically abusing him. ;) :p

The wedding is about as unromantic as you get. Basically, it's a role reversal--rather than the woman pressuring the guy to get married so that their kid isn't born out of wedlock, it's the reverse--Danny is clearly the one stressing out about it. It's born out of his insecurities, and she's always played on those.

The problem with writing in Anna's pregnancy is that it feels unnatural for the characters. They've done a complete 180--gone from not communicating, sending mixed signals to each other, and storming away (well, that's all Lindsay), to suddenly being lovey dovey and happy in the space of like 5 episodes. Bringing a kid into their tumultuous relationship is problematic at best, but none of that is being dealt with realistically. This wedding is just the capper on the fantasy that's playing out that baby makes everything better. I guess it's good that they're not going for the full out wedding, but it does feel unrealistic and unnatural for a couple that can't be in the same room together without the woman walking away in frustration/avoidance/anger 90% of the time.

I am excited about the Adam storyline. It will be nice to see him going into the building. One of Adam's biggest insecurities in "Snow Day" was that he didn't have the balls Danny had. He felt cowardly for giving up his badge and the vault password, so I think any situation that gives him a chance to be heroic--especially one he willingly walks into--is a good thing.

7. vegaslights

vegaslights Brute

8. Carrieattheprom

Carrieattheprom Lab Technician

I don't mind having a marriage on the show. My problem is this marriage with these characters done in this way.

How about Mac's storylines with crazy stalker chick and the FBI /flashdrive business? Are those two plots going to remain seperate, or will they collide at some point?

And how about Stella's storyline with the Greek coins? Mac is going to be P.O.'d to learn she went behind his back.

9. Faylinn

I was watching "Snow Day" recently, and when Mac was talking to the baddie he said that he'd make it his personal mission to hunt down whoever he was protecting (likely the guy's father) - so did that promise die with the guy? It might have been interesting to see Mac continue to go after whoever it was. They drop way too many storylines on this show. It's a procedural, but why imply that something will continue if it's just going to be dropped or (like with the dead agent they connected to the case in "Snow Day") get a half-ass mention later on?

I do hope they at least finish out the storylines they've started this season - Ella's coming back, the flashdrive is relevant to an upcoming episode, Stella's situation with the Greek guy is supposedly going to feature as the season wears on - but I do wish they hadn't let so many things drop in the past. It makes me as a viewer not bother to expect them to follow through on their promises, so to speak - you mention Flack's father, but four seasons later we're still waiting to see him; you have Danny's brother almost die, but three seasons later we're none the wiser about his condition; the list goes on and on. I mean heck, it makes me chuckle when they talk about bringing Sam back next season - they were going to bring Rikki back, but when they decided that Lindsay being pregnant was 'organic', they completely changed their plans and wrote off the Ruben storyline as 'over' (when that clearly wasn't what they were planning to begin with). If Sam turns out to be detrimental to whatever they want to do next season, we'll probably see her drop into the Black Hole of Continuity with Ruben, Louie, that mob guy in "Zoo York" and Flack's now-you-see-them-now-you-don't cat allergies. :rolleyes:

But I digress.

Adam is definitely an insecure guy--the bad thing for him is that, even when he is heroic (like saving those two cops in "Snow Day" when Flack's guys were going to shoot them), he probably doesn't view himself that way. I'd love to see that dealt with more deeply, but I guess a few moments here and there are better than nothing - at least he's getting some development. :)

10. fm62

fm62 Prime Suspect

Adam was the only one who seemed heroic to me on Snow Day, Danny and Mac were more bl oody minded than anything else. Danny was mouthing off at the hostage takers, but you could see he was terrified and Mac always has to be superman. Can't say i'm over enamoured with the gung ho marine types you always get on US shows, it's always overplayed. I'd rather have a normal guy who steps up instinctively, like Adam did here.

11. Elwood21

Elwood21 Pathologist

God help me if she's still on the freakin show inna year or two...

Seems like so much of DL was due to writers creating and having Lindsay play on Messer's sensitivities and insecurities. What a solid foundation to build a relationship on.

Outside of DL, those character traits made Danny unique and set him apart from others, and even apart from character types on other shows. Within DL, it's no longer really revealing more about him, it's perpetually threatening to swamp him and render him exceptionally bland. Danny outside DL is still fun and interesting, especially how he interacts with Flack and Adam and Stella. Well, with any of the others, really.

Lindsay, on the other hand, has just come to grate on me no matter who she's with or what her function is in a given scene. Within DL or without.

Yazza, I do tend to agree there. The problem with writing in Anna's pregnancy was ...writing in Anna's pregnancy. Crossed the show over an irrecoverable line, can't go forward nor back without seriously causing damage either way.

Seems once it was decided to jettison the Rikki storyline, they just kinda conceded the loss of so much of the season's planning that they'd allegedly intended, and we'll be feeling it ever after until they manage to find their feet in writing in the first CSI franchise canon couple marriage.

They didn't write in the first pregnancy, and the show carried on. Whatever matters of timing and circumstance led to the inverse decision this time around, they now have far fewer options due to the rather conventional manner they've done written it up. If they really and truly had to go there, it was wide open for how they might have gone about it. Hardly feels innovative, hardly developmentally substantial to the characters, at least not yet.

I think Adam's insecurities go way back to his bully of a father, from the few snippets of commentary we've gotten about him. I think also Adam isn't really a guy who seeks acclaim or even necessarily recognition for what he does, or how he does it.

I think what's great about AJ's portrayal of him is that we get to see Adam completely focused on dealing with whatever situation he's in, whether it's sifting airport portapotties or making 3d puzzles etc., precisely without those kind of thoughts in mind. The only time he's seemed to be really reflective about any of it was when he approached Mac in his office with the letter notifying him of his termination, and to a lesser extent, when he gave Flack grace of a few hours time to deal with Sam before notifying Mac, and then telling him he'd do the same all over again, fully aware of how Mac feels about those kinds of things and his expectations of people in handling them. And when we first encountered Kendall, who did seem to have those kinds of thoughts in mind, we had Adam poking at her for it, and ultimately trumping her.

I hope though that Snow Day was the redemption episode encapsulated for him, because he's never walked around like he's had something to prove, only like he's had a troubled history that shaped who he is. In Snow Day we saw him muster something inside to overcome whatever fears had plagued him due his past, and guilt and perhaps even shame due succumbing to torture for his badge, passcard and code key. That's why that his thruline in the ep was so engaging to watch, and seeing him save the cops in teh end was such a great moment. Since then it's been suggested that Adam has been actively seeking more field time, and so he is looking for new things to stretch himself against. I do think it's great to have an episode that will highlight even more growth for his character.

Everybody knows how luvable and brilliant he is, we as viewers and the other characters on the show, so I think it's really endearing that he himself seems to be the only one who doesn't even really think about it.

We don't get to see too much of him, nor Sid, but both always manage to do so much with whatever they're given. I'm looking forward to seeing what AJ makes of a more deliberate spotlight.

Oof. Just clicked on the link there, saw the caps for the first time. My first reaction to that was oh ...sweet mercy me, somebody pleeeeeease make it stop? Nearly lost my lunch. Why why why freakin why. I should have resisted going Clicky. But at least the show won't be such an unexpected surprise when it airs.

I hear ya, second that completely. This season has had a little more linkage eppie to eppie, but yeah, much to improve upon in that regard. Things that sounded like could have been interesting storylines, like Mac investigating the dead FBI agent (Candice Broadbent or something?) would be good, even if they can't manage to keep up with all the family hints they've dropped for each character and left us (and them) hanging (regards Louie, Flack's family in general, Sid's family, Adam's father, Stella's foster/orphanage days, Mac's father's cancer, Hawkes' family at all - I mean, what, was the wonder boy simply beamed down from a mothership somewhere?, and on).

Well, I could honestly do w/o creepy disturbed stalker chiquita, but I'll be happy to see what finally comes of the Greek antiquities thru-line and that of the flashdrive.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2009
  12. Faylinn

True - he showed courage by putting aside his fear to do what he knew was right without even thinking about it (whereas someone like Danny tends to be reckless).

I don't think he does things for the attention or the recognition, but I think it means a lot to him when he gets it - especially from Mac. So it's not his goal, but it is important to him (if that makes sense).

She's the one whose death was connected to "Snow Day" (the bad guy killed her to protect his father or whoever - that's the one I was talking about that Mac said he was going to track down but it was never referenced again).

That would explain so much. :p

13. Elwood21

Elwood21 Pathologist

Does indeed make sense. I think he's just pleasantly surprised each time. I've said elsewhere that there have been times that Adam's like a puppy that was kicked once to much. Wants affection and praise, but never expects it, never really trusts that it'll ever be a regular thing. Or at least once thought that. I do agree that getting those nods and praise from others, especially Mac and Stella, does mean a lot to him.

Ah, thought so. I remembered it from the earlier S3 eppie, before it came up again in the finale.

I know, eh? :lol: (Sheldon, please take me with you when you go?)

14. MakeTracksCowboy

MakeTracksCowboy CSI Level One

alright as much as i like Danny and Lindsay together i do have to agree with you guys on some points.

at first as a fan of the ship i was excited about this story but the more it goes on the more i get a little peeved and frustrated. i'm not liking the way D/L have been handled since the begininng of 4th season. i know some of you here never liked them but to me and other fans TPTB really made them who they shouldn't be, they could be a lot better. i do find D/L to be a pain sometimes and always very immature. i feel the other characters on the show have had a growth but Danny and Lindsay as individual characters just seem stuck.

i am looking forward to the Adam storyline as well. Adam is such a good character i enjoy every scene he is.

i find that odd too now that someone mentioned it why Mac never went after who he said he was in "Snow Day". i think that would be interesting if he did.

i watched 1st season last week with my roommate and i really miss the way it used to be. they used to do people stories now they're more interested in the unbelievable and the fake previledged people now.

all this i said make me sound like i hate the show but i love it, it's my addiction.

15. electra

electra Pathologist

I am really looking forward to Stella storyline.I would be interesting how Mac will react and I also like her bonding with Angell.They are both tough girls, very NY style??:thumbsup:

Are there any spoilers for D/L after 5:17? Maybe someone will realize that it has been enough. I am seriously hoping Lindsay to be gone at least until the finale.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.