Why Lindsay Must Go (Part 3)

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Faylinn, Mar 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

Agreed. Lindsay was pretty immature about the whole thing and richly deserved a good chewing out...and instead we got Papa Mac. If it had been about something serious, I would have gotten it. Even though I thought she was a royal brat to Stella in "Silent Night," I got why Stella forgave her in the end and wasn't overly hard on her. But "Danny broke my heart!" is not really an excuse to be irresponsible at the lab, and for Mac to just gloss over the seriousness of what she did was out of character, and annoyingly so. Lindsay getting a free pass where other characters don't doesn't make her more likable--quite the opposite, actually.

2. cSiNyFrEaK30

cSiNyFrEaK30 Police Officer

I did forget about that...I guess what I meant is that Lindsay does it more consistently than the others really do, and when she does she doesn't get the same response from Mac and Stella as the others do.

3. FlackFan01

FlackFan01 Police Officer

While we were watching the show last week, DH asked if Lindsay was for real. He couldn't believe how dry the character seemed. And he's not a HUGE fan of the show like I am.

Just thought I would throw that out there....

4. roximonoxide

roximonoxide Lab Technician

Sorry, I wish I knew who DH was or what show you were watching, but I can't come up with anything. Please share!

5. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

DH is an abbreviation for 'dear husband' or something similar, I believe. :)

6. FlackFan01

Thanks, Fay! That is who I was referring to!

7. Top41

Yeah, I think even casual viewers can take a glance and see just how Anna sticks out like a sore thumb. The problem is that the rest of the cast is so good, and that just highlights her inadequacies as an actress all the more. Though to be fair, Lindsay's lines in that episode were bad. I think the writers just stick her with the leftover expo lines pretty often. It seems like don't know what to do with her a lot of the times and I'm sure that's in part because Anna isn't a gifted actress and hasn't developed the depth for her character that the other actors have for theirs.

8. Faylinn

There have been episodes in the past where I've watched a scene and it's like they almost forgot that Lindsay was even there. It's like they give her stuff sometimes just because she needs to be given something to do.

I'm sure that's true for all of the characters at times, when things aren't necessarily specific to them, but so much of what Lindsay says and does (aside from those dang 'demonstrations') is generic.

9. FlackFan01

I'm starting to wonder if part of her problem isn't the writing. I haven't seen her in anything else, so it's tough to truly comment, but it just seems that the writing may be a part of the issue. How big a part is debatable (but not here!)

10. roximonoxide

Oh! That makes much more sense. Sorry, I hadn't heard that abbreviation before, I thought it was someones initials... :rolleyes:

I know what you mean though, I've had people in my life who don't follow NY like we tend to who've caught mere pieces of the show and in that could determine she was a sore spot for various reasons.

My girlfriend, who's opinion I respect a bit -working on a masters in english a masters in english lit.- has in passing said things like "Who's this girl? She's really struggling to keep up." She's not the only one either. My mother's mentioned it and my roommate...None of whom have watched more than a few episodes of the show at most.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2009
  11. Top41

Anyone else find it amusing in last night's episode that Lindsay's compassion existed of her making the scrunch-face during the two instances of questioning Vince's wife and then a wordless hand off of the flowers? On the plus side, it was nice to see Lindsay thinking of someone other than herself for once--such a rare, rare thing from her--but with any other character I think it would have been played up a bit more. Were we spared some painful acting?

12. FlackFan01

Top, not sure if we were really spared. As I was watching it OnDemand this morning, hubby made yet another comment. He said he just doesn't like her. He also felt that he had to clarify that he was NOT referring to Melina (she was in the same scene at that moment!). No, I don't think we were spared. She said "boom" and made that face. She also looks almost spaced out when others are talking. Almost like she is just waiting to deliver her line, but isn't truly a part of the scene. It's becoming tough to watch her, even tho I do think part of the blame is with the writing for her. JMO.

13. roximonoxide

My roomie and I chuckled about that odd little ending too. It seemed especially odd being that Lindsay's interaction with this woman prior to the flowers had seemed minimal and inconsequential.

What happened to "I'm not good at this sort of thing." I'm not saying she was good at it in this scene, but I'm confused (to say the least) at how she'd be able to make an effort with some woman she didn't exactly connect with, but not for the guy she keeps saying she loves. Where are this girl's priorities? :wtf:

Last edited: Jan 22, 2009
  14. Top41

Good point! The "boom" bit was a bad moment. It was cute when Flack did it in "Admissions," but having Lindsay pick up on Danny's already over-used catchphrase is just unnecessary.

Lindsay looked awkward in the scenes with the wife. She uses the scrunch face to express everything!

There weren't any real character beats there; it was just, "Lindsay feels bad for the sad widow. It was a nice attempt to give her character a little empathy--which she really needs--but it would have been nice to see a little more of the rationale behind it. Lindsay sees grieving loved ones every day--what made this woman special to her?

15. Faylinn

I guess we were supposed to make the connection that the woman's husband was dead and his character was being questioned, and Lindsay's In Love with a screw-up...or something, I'm not sure.

I also thought her expression when she entered the gymnasium at the end was odd. I guess she was supposed to be reacting to the crowd (for whatever reason - like 'oh wow, what a large crowd'), but it looked like she was giving the wife a strange look.

Another thing I've noticed is how, more than once, we've had to look to the other character in the scene to know what the feelings/emotions/etc are. Lindsay may as well have worked for a flower delivery company in that scene. I didn't feel her compassion for the woman. If Stella, for example, had been the one to bring flowers, there would have been a sense of what she was feeling when she handed them over.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.