What's one thing you wish hadn't happened in CSI?

Discussion in 'General CSI Discussion' started by dna1009, Jun 22, 2008.

1. MBGrissom

MBGrissom Pathologist

1. Grissom throwing his morals and integrity out the window to sleep with an emotionally fragile subordinate - meanwhile, pompously pontificating to his remaining team about watching their morals and behavior and how they affect the lab, blah blah. I started hating him a bit, I think, at the end of Weeping Willows... :klingon:

2. Danny and Lindsay sleeping together. IMO, they lost any sort of fun "good buddies" chemistry and banter that initially did exist between them prior to having the night of drunken sex on the pool table. Now, there's nothing fun between them any more (once again, IMO).

3. Killing off Aiden! Couldn't they have kept her alive for a guest appearance here and there? :( Same goes for Speedle...

2. HelpMe

HelpMe Civilian

1) GSR - I know fans of the pairings are going to come after me but I really dislike this. Dont ask me why. I rather Sara with someone else. Why oh why cant she pick someone close to her age :p

2) Killing off main characters - enough said.

3. MiaCharlize

MiaCharlize Coroner

Funny how GSR is on the lists of a majority of people in this thread.

4. rahkira

rahkira Police Officer

Yes, MiaCharlize, I've noticed the number of times GSR appears, also (It's at the top of my list, and for the exact reasons MBGrissom stated). I think, and no disrespect intended toward GSR shippers, that the group here who like GSR are very active posters, so the ship support seems bigger than it is in reality. I could be wrong...

5. allmaple

allmaple Judge

no one is going to come after you ;) im pretty sure it was stated before in this thread, but you are all free to discuss anything you dislike about the show as long as you are respectful and explain yourself well. so far people have been doing really well and there has been nothing even close to inappropriate :)

6. Shytownmofo

Shytownmofo Lab Technician

So totally. The way he chastized Nick in "Boom," and Catherine in "Weeping Willows" was very irksome, epsecially once Sara walked out of his bathroom...Yeah. With Sara, the most fragile member of the team.

Amen. The whole of Season 3 was a Train Wreck with that "Big Dark Secret" storyline for Lindsay. I'm not sure what's worse, her leading him around by the scrotum the whole season, and flying out to Montana unasked for her, or Her "Monologue of Doom" in season 4, when she got mad for him pushing her away, something she did to him a year prior. :rolleyes: I agree that they should have just kept it light and friendly, and not gone there with them. [

I totally agree on that one. They could have interacted with her periodically as a PI, she could have given them info, etc. Instead...yeah. I'm wondering if it wasn't done just so that if fans didn't like Lindsay, that the fans couldn't say "Bring Back Aiden!!" Because I can so see that happening.

RE: Danny/Lindsay, I really wish they'd given her a chance to be her own person, and just not plugged her into Aiden's role, with the flirting and whatnot. Instead, they pinned her to Danny, and we all see how well that's worked out. :rolleyes:

7. love_fan

love_fan CSI Level One

You must be reading my mind. Just recently I've been thinking the same thing!

I also would have liked for Lindsey to be an independent character. The potential was definitely there but then TPTB decided to go the Danny's-love-interest-route. A huge mistake in my opinion!

8. rahkira

rahkira Police Officer

Agree with both of you, Shytownmofo and love fan. What I don't understand, given the number of women writers, why is it every time one of the women gets into a relationship with one of the guys, it's the woman who becomes a shadow of her former self. Why can't each maintain his and her integrity, character. I've seen couples who work together and each remains the strong person he/she was before. What is it, Hollywood not being able to get away from seventy year old stereotypes of the woman falling into the guy's arms and ceasing to exist as anything other than his helpmate? Hey, TPTB, women are out there in the workplace nearly as often as men, nowadays, and you bet their bosses would be very upset if their jobs became secondary to their private lives (sorry, it is reality; your job is paying your bills); Jerry B. et al, join the 21st century.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2008
  9. Shytownmofo

Yeah. That's not one thing, per se, but it irritates me, too that no one on any of the three shows can have a healthy relationship, except Maybe Grissom and Sara, although that's debateable; but there is definitely the idea that the women are not complete without a man there. Before she was with him, her life was a trainwreck, afterwards, it seems like all of her problems magically disappeared. If Jorja hadn't left, I bet she'd still be hiding under Grissom. :rolleyes:

We have Catherine and her atrocious taste in men. Eddie, that club owner Bezich, and that Adam Novak clown.

Warrick and Tina were a train wreck. I don't even see why he married her. I think that that's part of what ended up leading to his demise.

The Danny/Lindsay debacle was just painful after a certain point.

Stella and her mess with Frankie Mala, plus Drew Bedford...yeah. Talk about stereotyping.

Mac and Peyton. Her doing her best to pull him out of her shell, then leaving him with a "Dear John" letter...riiight.

Flack and that Tart Devon....can you say "Airhead?" What was suave, debonair Detecive Flack doing with her?

Sara and Hank? Yuck! Slimeball cheater. At least she dumped him when she found out.

Nick and Kristy Hopkins....Talk about bad. I know you can't help who you're attracted to, but it just seemed a bit off to me that he went there.

I don't really watch Miami, so I don't know how their relationships play out, but I know that Horatio has had some bad ones, so yeah, Way to continue the trend.

I definitely agree, Rakira, Jerry B., Anthony Z, and Pam V should join the 21st century. It's especially sad to see because most of the women on the shows are very strong in virtually every other area, so why do they have to pick bad men and then when they're with someone, they turn into someone else, someone weaker. :brickwall::rolleyes::mad::angryrazz:

10. luf100

luf100 Coroner

I wish they hadn't killed off Marisol from Miami, starting Horatio's curse of all the woman he dates dying somehow.

11. love_fan

love_fan CSI Level One

And again you're reading my mind! Why is it that those awesome, intelligent, beautiful women end up with these losers? They should know better and probably would if it weren't for TPTB!

I almost forgot about Nick and that woman! Probably because I don't ever want to think about her. As much as I would like to watch Boom again, there's no way I'm going to watch it ever again!!
    It was so completely out of character for Nick! Pick up a hooker?? :wtf: OK, he didn't pick her up but he slept with her without even knowing her. OK, that's not something bad, I know, but it's so unlike Nicky! He never had a canon girlfriend, only dated that cop once and now all of a sudden he's a one-night-stand kinda guy??

12. Shytownmofo

I know...it just seems a bit OOC for Nick. I don't buy the "Irresistable" thing, either. Just doesn't wash.

Same thing with him leaving the bar with that girl in "Built to Kill." So completely and totally OOC. Especially after the events of GD....

13. love_fan

love_fan CSI Level One

I almost forgot about that one, too. Well, I tried to! Anyway, yes, again with the OOC!

And now that I think of it, Grissom was really an ass when he told Cath of at the end of Wheeping Willows. That was so unnecessary! It's like beating someone who's already down.

14. MBGrissom

MBGrissom Pathologist

*nodding head vigorously in agreement* Yes, that's what I'm talking about! And supposedly by that time he had already been secretly having an affair with Subordinate Sara, but he stands there and shakes the verbal finger of "Shame on You!" at Catherine? Definitely one of the things that I feel never should have happened. I know alot of viewers who started taking a long look at the Grissom character at that time, and not at all liking what they were seeing. The writers turned him into a judgmental hypocrite. :rolleyes:

I also agree with the above conversation about the "romantic" hookups (if you even want to call some of them that :lol: ) throughout the CSI franchise. I don't think I've seen a show, let along entire franchise, depict such an array of normally strong willed, intelligent, charming people travel down such butt-clenchingly ill advised romantic paths, on such a steady basis. Right from the get-go, we learned about Cath's experience with Eddie, which sometimes bordered, from what it appeared, on the Downright Horrible - and it never really got much better for her from that point, relationship-wise (or did it? I stopped watching the Vegas one a couple years ago, but up to that point, Cath really had a string of bad ones, or at least ones that were no good for her).

And soon after that we had Sara and Hank, and then Sara just...well, hankering after Grissom for years (sorry, couldn't resist the pun :lol: ) until she finally caught him, and then suddenly, as someone pointed out above, her (arguably) previously messed-up life was suddenly A-OK. :wtf: WTF? Like Sara wasn't savvy and smart enough to get herself together without Grissom leading the way? What a slap in the face to the character of Sara, IMO.

Things aren't much better romantically on NY, either. We've already discussed the Danny/Lindsay thing, and how much it appeared to take away from both characters after the hookup. Not only did it not give enough time/opportunity to establish the new character of Lindsay except as "The Chick Danny Might/Might Not Hook Up With", but it seemed to take away alot of Danny's spunk and independence too, which had already been very firmly established as a major part of his personality in previous seasons. The hookup didn't appear, IMO, to make either character stronger, just the opposite.

I kind of liked Mac/Peyton, IMO this is one of the few relationships that CSI had actually gotten pretty right most of the time, but alas, since it was doomed from the start anyway (Claire Forlani was always a limited guest star) the OOC ending ("Dear John" letter? Peyton would never had done that) ended up ruining the entire thing for many people, after all was said and done. And don't even get me started on Horatio's poor doomed Marisol on Miami...

Of course there have been many more through the years which I won't even mention, but it does beg the question, Why are the CSI writers so unrealistic at writing romance for their characters? And of course this is just a matter of opinion since I'm very aware that many fans think they're doing a bang-up job on the Romance Storylines, and that's great, but I still think that overall, they just don't seem capable of - or simply aren't interested in - depicting a good old fashioned normal relationship. Doesn't have to be front and center, on a crime drama, the romances shouldn't ever be. Heck, it can even be 100% behind-the-scenes and we just hear about it and don't really ever see it, but we just know that it's there, someone amongst the CSI teams is actually having a loving, happy, stable relationship outside the job. Too much to ask, I guess... :rolleyes: :lol:

Oops, that got long-winded. Sorry! ;) But it still falls into this thread, definitely Things I wish never would have happened... blah blah.

15. Shytownmofo

I hear you all on all counts. The relationships thing is something I've wondered about for some time. It seems that no one in any of the three shows has a happy, healthy relationship; at least any of the established, Canon relationships. I thik part of it is something that is endemic in TV itself, as most shows, especially the procedurals like the CSI Franchise, where it seems everyone seems to either have a "Dark Secret in their Past," be fundamentally screwed up in some way, has a checkered past, or All of the Above. Then, the Romantic relationships...Agh.

It is something that bears further discussion, IMO. I'm not sure it belongs in this thread or even in this forum, but it is curious.