Do you believe in God?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Calihan, Apr 10, 2008.

?

Do you believe in God and how do you live?

1. I don't believe in God at all.

35.2%
  2. I believe in God and live relgiously.

20.4%
  3. I believe in God, don't live religiously but still ama good person.

44.4%
  1. TallyHo

TallyHo Coroner

Have been really enjoying these discussions...

I could not accept that no god(s) or God exists. In fact in the face of what may be "evidence" (Hollywood or not, :) ) this would probably make me believe even more intensely. As simplistic as it may sound, for me, it fundamentally has to do with faith, even faith as "small as a mustard seed"... "Happy are those who do not see and yet believe."

2. Stepherweps

Stepherweps The Resident Gleek Premium Member

Righteo, no problem, well ever since I was very young, I was brought up going to church and Sunday school. I wouldn't say that religion was forced upon me though, it was my own choice to go when I could decide for myself. I was brought up as a Presbyterian, but now I'm a bit older, I wanna change churches, to a Free Methodist church, it's quite a bit different in what they believe. I'm getting Baptised soon, I've been a Christian for almost 6 years, so I made a step from just believing in God to actually taking a step and become a Christian when I was 11 and I still feel as strongly about God as ever, when I read the bible it makes so much sense to me, and how God was able to this all, and chose to just because he loved us.
    I hope that answers your question...

3. miss_blue

miss_blue Lab Technician

Everyone needs to believe in something whether it's God, luck or horoscope. I think that humans have this need to believe in something that they cannot explain, something that is beyond our power of understanding. I think that we have the need to blame somethings that are going wrong in our lives (like some people blame their bad luck), or to know that there is this "force" (lack of a better word) out there that is tending to our needs.

4. Stepherweps

Stepherweps The Resident Gleek Premium Member

Well now that it a question... Well I think that even if it could be proven that there was no such thing as God, my faith would still lead me to believe there was, I have faith in God and the bible, I believe what is written there, so yeah, even if someone could prove it was wrong, I think my faith would still stand strong...

5. Vonnie

Vonnie Victim

I've always been a fan of the idea that it doesn't matter what you have faith in, just that you have faith.

6. Jacquie

Jacquie Ward Girl Moderator

No, I couldn't accept it if God did not exist. Even though I don't lead a religious life I still have a great comfort and peace knowing that there is a God and he's watching over us daily. Now that being said I don't stop and think of what I'm doing, I do thinks to please me and my loved ones. I believe that God is helping me to stay this course as I'm very happy in my life :)

7. allmaple

allmaple Judge

a fan of the movie dogma perhaps? ;)

i do know of one person who believes in god but his parents and sister dont. hes quite the black sheep of the family, is also the only meat eater in a family of vegetarians :lol:

8. Vonnie

Vonnie Victim

It's actually something my father has always told me. He said it didn't matter if I went to church, it didn't matter if I believed in a million and one different gods, or even just one god. If I have faith in anything at all then I was headed in the right direction.

He's an old hippie so I always enjoy hearing his 'advice' on different subjects.

9. allmaple

allmaple Judge

wow, the exact wording of what you said is a quote from the movie dogma. maybe they stole it from your dad? :p

10. LibertyBell

LibertyBell Police Officer

Personally I don't think I could pick an option in that poll. There's nothing there that really fits where I stand. I'm more of an agnostic. I believe there could be a higher power out there, I'm just not sold on the theory that it's one man called God. So it's not that I don't believe in God at all, I think there's a chance there could be one. But from what I know about the Bible and God (which, albeit, isn't a whole lot. My family never did the church thing, although my parents did it growing up) I see too many holes in the story to go for it.

Someone said earlier that everyone needs to believe in something. I agree. For me, I just haven't found it yet. Honestly I try not to think about religion too much. I seem to be living just fine without it. Maybe someday I'll come to follow one of the religions, it's not like I'm totally anti-religion or anything (although I do strongly dislike how much of an impact it has on state affairs) but for now I call myself agnostic.

11. xfcanadian

xfcanadian Pathologist

i love the movie Dogma....its really funny :lol:

i wasn't suggesting this at all. And the stats showing countries with a higher degree of religiousness (ie more fundamentalism) are more violent, are just using two variables...obviously there are other factors. But it was more of a point to the whole argument that atheists murder and rape people because we don't believe in God. Its just fear prophaganda. It really isn't about the religion, just the type of people who are in the society itself...because human nature can turn ugly in the name of a religion.

12. allmaple

allmaple Judge

i made a buddy christ tshirt for a friend with the dogma logo on the back. and when i grabbed a pillow case to do the iron on transfer i acidentally got one of my parents. so i ironed on a bit of buddy christ onto their pillow case :guffaw: luckily it came out in a few washes, but mom wasnt too impressed when i said 'well now jesus can watch over you in your sleep'

heres a question (since we love questions here;)) whatever your view on this subject is, could you be in a relationship with someone who has the opposite view? for example i had one boyfriend who was pretty much a christian fundamentalist, ie evolution never happened, gays are bad, why dont i love jesus too etc, he made me turn off dogma because he found it offensive. i dont think i could do that again. but someone else who was not that, i dont know what word to use extreme?, i would have no problem with.

13. Finch

Finch Funnier in Enochian Super Moderator

I can see why. :eek: I'll probably never understand close-minded indivudals.

By the way for what it's worth, I enjoyed Dogma. :lol:

Depends on how extreme their views are. If they tell me I have to sacrifice a newborn male to the gods of CBS, I probably wouldn't be too interested in furthering the relationship. But I'd have no problem if I was in a relationship with anyone of a different religion/belief system--if at all. And of course, it would be nice if the person were at least open to new ideas (as in he doesn't think I'm a complete nut and doesn't put me down); It's not a need, though. I'm not about to push my beliefs on anyone and I'd hope for the same from him.

If we were to get married, I'm sure there would be a difference of opinion on how/where it would happen. :lol:

Last edited: Apr 24, 2008
  14. miss_blue

miss_blue Lab Technician

Tried once, didn't work though. He was trying to change me and my views and I really don't like it when people try do that. At the beginning he mentioned the change but I gave him the raised eyebrow, he left the subject, but after a few weeks he started being all dramatic and practically that was all we ever talked about. So after 3 months, or maybe four I said goodbye honey, hope you find a good one for you ;)

If I were in love with someone really bad, but we have different religions, and we are trying to get married, I'm not sure I'll be the one who does the compromise. If we don't reach any agreement, I'll just settle without a religious ceremony. (I'm saying this now, for I have never loved someone, and never considered marriage, maybe in time this will change, but if I were you, I wouldn't bet my money on it :D)

15. carolina

carolina Lab Technician

I dont think faith or beliefs have anything to do with facts or knowledge. faith comes from within and as long as it is inside of you it doesnt really matter what anyone around you says - which is both beautiful and dangerous

I also think everyone has faith whether or not he/she labels it as such

I think it would depend on how much he would try to talk me into his viewing of things and of how much we would clash in our opinions

I love the movie and I think it is a wonderful tribute to faith

I believe in a higher power but I doint think it has the form religions are trying to tell us. most of the Gods I heard about are too human-like, too human-made to be the "Real Deal"