Grissom and Sara #36 A Love Story

Discussion in 'Shipper Central' started by sharp52092, Jan 23, 2013.

1. jafox

jafox CSI Level Two

And wasn't that the beauty of their storyline? Full circle.

If you can't improve on something, then treasure it, protect it. Destroying it makes absolutely no sense, no matter what the writers rationalize.

ETA: Certainly, a GSR reunion in SF would be amazing. I'm just afraid that it's a pipe dream at this point.

Last edited: May 11, 2013
  2. MacsGirlMel

MacsGirlMel Mac's Personal Assistant

So was anything said last night or will we have to wait for next season?

3. JorjaFoxFan

JorjaFoxFan CSI Level One

Jorja wasn't in the episode, Nick mentioned Grissom when complimented on his refined entomology skills. Something along the lines of "I had a great teacher", never mentioned by name.

This entire episode was about Morgan and her personal stuggles with hints at "daddy issues". Even more disappointingly, the Ellie story line had no more than 2 scenes.

Set it up for a Morgan-centric S14. I feel as though, even extrapolating from the GSR relationship, all the old characters are slowly being weened out.

4. GSR GR

GSR GR Prime Suspect

I was hoping for at least Nick's storyline to be brought up (whether he wants to quit or not) but even that was too much to ask for. I don't know, there were moments when I liked the episode but those weren't suitable for CSI. They're taking it too far with CSI's playing cops.
    SF is our last hope but who knows when/if it'll lead to anything good. They're capable of ruining that too.

5. JorjaFoxFan

It's difficult to continue a love story through one person's eyes, and that's what CSI is continually attempting to do. I love Sara as a character, and of course care about her well-being in the story lines she's given, but to an extent. It isn't sufficient, nor fair, to condemn all of the marital problems of two characters, as portrayed by one.

If Sara has feelings elsewhere, then that's all fine, but what about Grissom? The show is pretty much fighting a losing battle trying to get WP to return, and without his side to this marriage, it isn't a marriage. If the fans are intended to use their imagination to this extent, then the relationship should occur entirely off-screen with the odd off-hand comment (as it used to be), and the fans can rely on fanfiction.

Also, since there was pictures of Sara (ca. Forget Me Not) that show her kissing other men, the trip to San Francisco has the potential to destory all hope completely. She was torn when it came to Doug the first time round, when Grissom was just absent - she almost used Grissom and her marriage as a smoke screen to avoid her own feelings. With that marriage gone (as far as the audience knows), what's really stopping Sara?

The feelings for Grissom will always be there, as I'm sure is true with him as well, but Sara is in a much better place than she was a few seasons ago... and I trust her to find happiness regardless of where it may be.

/pessimism

6. jafox

jafox CSI Level Two

This is exactly what the writers want the viewer to feel, and this is exactly my problem, because over 12 seasons tptb have written this relationship to be unique, strong, and enduring. So, no matter what they write for Sara, I can't see her being happy with anyone else. Not to mention we now have an off screen Grissom who must be sad, considering how broken he was in season 9 after Sara left him. What kind of image is that to leave with the fans, when they had such a beautiful, and powerful, one of him and Sara reuniting happily in the jungle? Fans of the show want to see a happy Grissom, as well as a happy Sara; they both deserve that, and we had that.

They created this off-screen marriage when Jorja returned to the show, and Sara was in a good place then, and TTMG was a window into how their relationship worked. And even though some of us were not particularly happy with this LDR that the writers created, we accepted it.
    Then, presumably, they changed their minds because WP wouldn't return. So, NOW they want to change the story and the rules, after the fans grew to accept that it would be a one sided on screen marriage. It works for the other characters, really, and it certainly would have worked in the old CSI formula with only snipits of their personal lives.
    It took Sara and Grissom 6 seasons to get together, another 3 seasons to finally get a happy ending, but only a half a season to split them up. Not to mention that there was so much drama with Sara leaving (twice) and Grissom following her, but they've never really addressed why she can't go to him and fix things. With all that, even though they've done a good job of making us feel sorry for her, I have a hard time supporting Sara and wanting her to move on, which is what the writers apparently want me to do. The Sara and Grissom we knew would not enter marriage without a full commitment to make it work, IMO. The whole scenario is just wrong, and sad, on so many levels, and it belittles both Sara and Grissom's characters, not to mention the fans who supported them.

And yes I'm still bitter about last season, and pessimistic about next season and SF and Doug-or-whoever, not to mention more relationship drama for Morgan and Nick and Finn and maybe even DB (why leave him happily married, afterall?).

Do I want Sara to be happy? Of course I do. And she was until recently, married to her 'one and only'. And I could imagine Grissom happy, married 'to the only person he ever loved'. Old fans can't erase those brief, but powerful, GSR moments. I still don't get why they felt the need to ruin everything; the marriage, both characters, and ultimately the show for me. They should have just left it alone. Save the drama for the case of the week, or give Sara mama drama; that important storyline was just barely touched on, glossed over, and dropped. Mind boggling.This whole season became a 'What were they thinking?!' one for me.

Last edited: May 27, 2013
  7. jafox

jafox CSI Level Two

Although it seems the current ptb have other ideas about Grissom and Sara, for me this song and video represent what GSR really is about, an enduring love story. The Promise:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImaGyl8kJ3U

8. JorjaFoxFan

That's a really nice song.

For me that's part of the reason I'm so aware of how much things have changed between the two, because songs that used to remind me of GSR ca. 2004-2007(ish), don't really mean anything anymore - there's just so much disconnect.

9. jafox

jafox CSI Level Two

I think there is a RL disconnect because Billy hasn't returned to the show, but Jorja has. But there doesn't have to be a fictional disconnect. That was writer's choice.
    Personally, I'm content to leave their story in Costa Rica or exploring the world outside LV, like the initial intent was. As much as i liked having Jorja back on the show, it never really made sense for her to return permanently. Like I said earlier, I accepted it for the show's sake; but because the writers have chosen to further their own agenda by accentuating Grissom and Sara's separation, I feel a huge let down and disconnect with the show. I'm fairly certain this wasn't the intent when the prior writers wrote their story. And changing course this late in the game just seems so OOC and wrong.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2013
  10. JorjaFoxFan

Here's to hoping for a better S14. It's really our only hope of redemption..
    At this point, I don't even want WP to do a cameo, I just want the TPTB to pay some respect to the relationship they created. I think GSR at least deserves that. Whether it be Sara moving on, or rekindling what she had, it just deserves something better than what it's currently receiving.

11. JorjaFoxFan

Time of Your Death from S6 was just on TV, and I only caught the last twenty minutes, but was blissfully reminded of the "eye sex" scene between Grissom and Sara in that episode. I remember how magical that episode was when it aired, so subtle and special between the two.

It's moments like that that really remind you how much CSI has changed.. I miss that feeling that GSR inspired in fans back in those early seasons. :(

12. jafox

jafox CSI Level Two

Yeah. I have a hard time watching any old episodes anymore. They should be happy times; but they just remind me of what the last season ruined, and I get sad and angry all over again.

13. MacsGirlMel

MacsGirlMel Mac's Personal Assistant

Yeah, that's why I can't bring myself to watch anything on Spike or USA. I only go for CSI NY eps.

14. JorjaFoxFan

I try my hardest to avoid it as well. Spike is having a lot of CSI marathons recently outta the blue, and there's just not the same feeling attached to the show anymore... It's so sad.

I know it has been said before, however I wish this show had ended around maybe season 9, when it started to go downhill, but Grissom was still involved. I'd rather have all these recent years left up to fanfiction and imagination rather than having GSR's unhappiness made canon.

After 4(ish) seasons, it's so clear how much Grissom made the show. I just can't warm up to Danson, Shue, or Harnois. I dislike all three characters; it's a different show.

15. Axatullux

Axatullux Lab Technician

I feel the same way in regards to watching old episodes of CSI. I know in the end it's only TV but unless and/or until the writers and/or TPTB do something to reunite GSR, either on or off-screen and repair the damage they've done, I just get angry and upset that a great TV pair has been reduced to ruin.

It's by far the most upsetting thing for me since MK leaving CSI:NY three years ago. I've made my peace with that now. I haven't made peace with CSI in regards to GSR. And I kinda have to agree in regards to season 9. I think the show is rapidly going downhill. Every show has it's ebb and flow seasons and CSI is not immune to that. I can admit that Danson has brought some spark again that was missing with Petersen's departure but even any potential spark brought with Danson and Shue can only keep CSI going for so long.

I really do hope they get GSR back together or resolve the problems they're having but doing this to us fans, not that we expected 'happily ever after' in a sense, to me opened a huge can of worms.

With both Miami and New York now gone, I see this original show turning off the lights for good in 2015 or 2016. Let's hope they resolve GSR in a way that pays respect to us fans for so many years.