CSI:Miami cancelled, CSI:NY renewed along with CSI

Discussion in 'General CSI Discussion' started by Faylinn, May 14, 2012.

1. Ninja0980

Ninja0980 Police Officer

As others have said,what's done is done and there shouldn't be show bashing. In the end,it came down to $$$ which made CSI Miami the obvious choice. Those who stated they felt CSI Miami had more to offer over NY should respect the viewpoints of those who feel otherwise and vice versa.

2. Ryan&MacFan

Ryan&MacFan Victim

Definetly glad that NY and CSI will be back. Also, not that too surprised about Miami getting axed due to being on the Sunday Slot where cold case and without a trace were got axed. Plus,with two actors getting into other shows plus maybe david caruso was getting tired of it because wasn't there talk about discussion of negoations with H maybe they thought if they couldn't get right negoations which would make no Horatio which I believe H makes up for a lot of Miami stuff so they figure it wouldn't be decent enough to start a new season with No H.

3. roolb

roolb Victim

I bitterly regret that Miami is being axed, and along with many other people have signed the appeal to let it carry on. I note some of the comments stating that it`s had a long run, but here in UK we have had many shows running for far longer that any of the CSIs!
    One such was set in Glasgow, called `Taggart`, and was extremely popular, but ITV scrapped it after donkey`s years, due to budgetary requirements.
    The same applied to a police show called` The Bill`, that was so realistic, and well liked, that a lot of policemen used to watch it! :cool: :(

4. miamirocks

miamirocks Lab Technician

Very disappointed and upset about CSI:Miami. I'm not trying to bash the other CSIs, but seriously Miami was never given ANY WARNING that this was coming until they were filming the freakin' finale!! :wtf: CSI:NY had a chance for closure - they were on the bubble 2 years in a row and they knew it.:rolleyes: Miami wasn't given warning and now all these characters we've invested in for 10 years have NO CLOSURE. :scream:

CBS put them in the "death slot," where Miami still performed well considering all the delays and crap.:shifty: It was like they were killing Miami b/c it was more convenient to do so - with no consideration to the fans, cast or crew. If their intent was to cancel the show since last year (which seemed to be the case when they moved it to Sunday), they should've just come out and said so so they could have an awesome, character-driven arc over the last 2 years instead of the unfinished business we got. :(

A show on for that long deserves closure. I know there are other shows on for as long or longer that didn't get closure, but that doesn't make it right. Why should I invest in their shows or characters if all they're gonna do is pull the plug with no closure - I have serious issues with this.

5. Ninja0980

Ninja0980 Police Officer

Miamirocks it doesn't make it right what happened but the cold hard truth is that's show business,something everyone on CSI Miami and the crew surely know with all their years in the biz.
    We all would like the Hollywood ending for our favorite shows where the stars and fans are given the respect they deserve but it very seldom works out that way.
    As I said before,it's not right but CSI Miami is not the first show that's ended like this,and it won't be the last.

6. Ryan&MacFan

Ryan&MacFan Victim

I was wondering because before the finale was on for Miami it showed that Persons of Interests was more likely to get canceled but they got renewed. So I wonder if Persons of Interests didn't get renewed would Miami have been renewed ?

If so then what makes POI more interesting than Miami because I never got into POI.

7. Crumbs

Crumbs Police Officer

^Not sure what you're talking about, Person of Interest was renewed along with Vegas in March, before the finale of Miami aired. From what I recall, the show has been very strong in terms of ratings (and in my opinion, quality too).

8. mulder42

mulder42 Corpse

Ryan&MacFan--I'm not sure where you're getting your info, but Person of Interest was never in any danger. It's been very popular since it first aired; it even aired on Sunday night at least once that I can remember. It was renewed fairly early. The other show that I'm surprised CBS canceled is Unforgettable. I've only seen a couple of episodes, but I thought a show starring Poppy Montgomery (formerly of Without a Trace) would get a chance.

9. forza juve

forza juve Hit and Run

I blame the writers as much as cbs. You might not know a show is over until you get the call. But you can start preparing for the day it ends. They started preparing in the middle of writing the finale. What a waste.

10. miamirocks

I hear what you're saying, Ninja0980, and I realize that this is how show business works - it's all about the almighty dollar (and there's no way I believe that article about CBS wanted a "New York" lineup for Friday - the new show isn't even set in NY :rolleyes: ).

However, I'm still allowed to express the completely unfair and stupid way this was all handled. I don't care if it happens all the time to shows (and it seems to always happen to shows I like :( ), that doesn't make it right. I think fans should be allowed to commiserate how unfairly treated they feel, despite the fact that this happens all the time. We buy into their shows, boost the channel's ratings, and then they just drop it when it's best for them without a thought to those who invested 10 years in these characters.

With the exception of a couple of cable shows, CSI:Miami was the only "new" show on TV I watch. I watched it from the beginning, from day one, when CBS was desperate to sell a spinoff and turn CSI into a franchise that would become a cash cow for them. The least CBS can do for one of the most successful shows of all time is to give it proper closure.

As for "Hollywood endings," while it doesn't happen often, it does happen, especially for iconic shows - the X-files got a final show with some closure, as did Mash, All in the Family and some other iconic shows (even "Remington Steele" had a 4 or 6 episode arc to close out the series) :shifty: Remember, CSI:Miami was, at its peak, the NUMBER ONE SHOW IN THE WORLD. They should be put right up there w/the top shows and be given a better send off, as should all the CSIs.

11. Ninja0980

Ninja0980 Police Officer

I know the feeling. In their defense,they didn't have as much warning as other shows but in the same breath..the shortned season and the move to a time slot where the three previous shows put there were all canceled. It should have been set up better at the end.

12. Rizzoli

Rizzoli Lab Technician

In case anyone's interested, I did some calculating (because I have no life,) and CSI: NY Season 8 averaged 9.946million viewers per episode, whilst CSI: Miami averaged 9.848million viewers per episode.

13. miamirocks

In my mind, that actually proves that Miami was doing stronger ratings wise. :shifty: You have to take into account all the delays and the incredibly crappy time slot they were put into. At least NY was on at 9PM - at 10PM on Sunday, after all the delays, you'd think the audience would give up on Miami, but they didn't. Again, I'm not trying to disrespect NY, but it seems to me like CBS wanted a reason to cancel Miami and they made it happen by putting them in what everyone knows is the death time slot. :rolleyes: Miami deserved more warning and closure and I still think this is completely outrageous and unfair.

14. Mac&Adam Fan

Mac&Adam Fan Pathologist

Even though I don't watch Miami, I do agree with you on that one.

I would be surprised if CBS gives NY and Vegas time to say goodbye.

15. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

Miami was doing pretty well considering that it seemed like the show was delayed in my neck of the woods almost every single week. On the other hand, Friday nights are notoriously bad for TV viewership in the US, so NY (and even moreso Blue Bloods) has been pulling in pretty impressive numbers for the night. And there are other factors as well that make the situations different for each show, despite the fact that they're part of the same franchise. (I wish they wouldn't talk about it like it was NY vs Miami because I don't think it's much different than, say, NY vs the Criminal Minds spinoff last year - by focusing on these two shows being pitted against each other, it seems like the battle of the CSI spinoffs. At the end of the day, they're just two shows on a successful network - one had to go, and it just happened to be between these two particular series.)

IDK, I think the 'New York block' thing is kind of dumb, but at the same time, I can see why they'd view that as a good bet. NY and Blue Bloods have been a good combination, and pulled in good ratings for Friday, so I can see why they might want to keep them together.