CSI:Miami cancelled, CSI:NY renewed along with CSI

Discussion in 'General CSI Discussion' started by Faylinn, May 14, 2012.

1. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

CBS upfronts aren't until Wednesday, but CBS has already made it official, so let's start a new thread about the future of the franchise.

CSI: Miami has been cancelled, but CBS decided to renew CSI: New York for another year. CSI was renewed a while ago, so that means we'll have two out of three CSI shows on CBS in the fall. There's no news yet on how many episodes CSI or CSI:NY will get.

So - thoughts, comments, reactions? (I know we all have strong opinions, but let's make sure we keep it friendly and respectful toward our fellow fans. :))

2. Mac&Adam Fan

Mac&Adam Fan Pathologist

I think CSI will have a shortened season.

I also think NY might get a shortened season, again.

What I want? NY to have a full 22 episode season.

3. Ninja0980

Ninja0980 Police Officer

Mentioned it in another thread but I'll say it here too that I hope the writers give it their all for Season 9 of NY and treat it respectfully.
    I truly feel next year will be the last season of it and it should be treated as such.

4. Faylinn

Comments from TPTB (like these) make me think season nine will deal with more personal storylines than we've seen so far. If it is the final season, which I think it will be, I get the feeling the writers will be expecting it to end and keep that in mind from day one. This year's finale wasn't as good as last year's, but I'm optimistic about what the writers could do with at least 13 episodes to finish out the series. (13 episodes sounds pretty standard for a minimum number, although if they did 20, NY would end up hitting the 200 episode milestone.)

I wouldn't be surprised if CSI got a shortened season as well.

It sucks that Miami is gone. I have had my issues with the series, I won't lie, but I do have a few characters I love on there, and I'm sad to see it go. I am glad they changed the plot of the finale to give it more closure, though - I would be really upset if they'd ended the series with a cliffhanger.

Another reason I'm sad to see Miami go is that it feels like the beginning of the end. There have been three CSI series on TV for eight years, and the franchise has been around for more than a decade - now that we're down to two series, it's only a matter of time before the franchise is gone. :(

5. Ninja0980

Ninja0980 Police Officer

It will be sad to see the franchise eventually end but having a series where all of the shows have lasted more than eight years is pretty darn good.
    Many shows are lucky to have more than five seasons.

6. Faylinn

^^Yeah, I think we're a bit spoiled as CSI franchise fans, to be honest. We've had 30 seasons between the three shows, and so many other series have come and gone in that time.

Not that I'm going to complain about being spoiled, mind you. :p

7. Wojo

Wojo Corpse

I stopped watching Miami and NY awhile ago. CSI is still my fave and even with lead actor and other cast changes it has stood the test of time and IMO has gotten better.

8. Ninja0980

Ninja0980 Police Officer

Indeed...one of my other favorite shows was Cold Case which in many ways was better than CSI Miami and NY but never got a fair shake as they did. We were spoiled in getting so many episodes and in decent time slots too.

9. Geeno

Geeno Pathologist

Cold Case was great but sometimes they relied to much on people's memories. They even had an episode on a case in 1919 and a 4 year old child who remembered a very specific scene etc. etc.

Anyway, I know Miami fans are sad but I hope others would stop blaming (and bashing) NY. It's definitely not NY's fault that it was renewed. Had NY been cancelled, I don't think there would be this much outrage towards Miami from NY fans. As a NY fan, I'm genuinely surprised that it is renewed. On the other hand, I was shocked Miami was let go. Last season, NY knocked out CMSB and this year Miami and Unforgettable. Maybe if there is a show that took Miami's place, it's The Good Wife. Miami consistently beat it despite airing at a later time but CBS renewed it instead.

About the episode order I hope NY reaches 200th!

10. Finch

Finch Funnier in Enochian Super Moderator

And I doubt any other franchise (aside from Star Trek) will be able to top how CSI has changed television. It's going to be a sad few goodbyes.

If I'd had my way, I would have liked to see the franchise go out opposite the way it came in to us. NY, Miami, then ending with CSI. Just seems more logical to me, but I have to say I'm glad NY is sticking it out. I think it has many more stories to tell and should be given that time before the lights go out.

That's not to poo-poo on Miami, but I think 10 years is a great milestone and they should be proud to have entertained (and frustrated :lol:) fans for as long as they have.

11. BlueDiamondStar

BlueDiamondStar Coroner

Just read the bad news:( I'm not gonna lie, I loved CSI:Miami the most of all three mainly because of one certain character and actor (my typical way) and it did change my life completely. The show's been my ultimate favourite since season 3 (obviously why) and I've been clinging to that ever since, seeing Miami dreams and writing fanfiction, and now roleplaying too.

These been greatest ten years in my tv viewer's life and the whole CSI thing has totally changed my view of things around me and world in general. I've found my true passion in life and now am determined to fulfil it one day.

I'm glad about NY though. I liked the franchise from it's beginning and there were times I liked it more and when I liked it less. I haven't had chance to watch show season by season because being on international side doesn't give you option to choose, you just watch whatever channel throws at you. And to positive side season 8 starts tonight here where I live (Latvia). Last week they resumed Miami season 10 on Tuesdays.

I'm actually glad to be able to watch it on tv since I guess there're some places people don't know neither of shows (i believe not all the planet is that equipped nor capable), so I'm glad to be one to view fairly fresh episodes not too late behind original airdates/-times.

Actually since season 7 I enjoy NY more again. I somehow really enjoyed season 7 and now can't wait for next one. There're like seasons 4-6 that I liked less than 1-3 and now 7(-8) again. Either characters or storylines got better, or just the fact I got to watch after longer hiatus with fresher view, dunno. I'm looking forward to upcoming seasons and I do realise they might be last ones of the show.

About Miami. I'm glad I could watch it seasons 1-10 and still there're only couple or so episodes I haven't had chance to watch (due to work or smth). And there always be episodes I'll want to re-watch over and over again.
    I've even promised myself a video on YT that I'll be making at the end of the series so guess one day I'll be quite busy.

And also I'm glad I've found this site (blaming my detective side for wanting to inspect everything closer and deeper) and such wonderful people. If there wouldn't been Miami I'd never sought any info on web and never got interested into actual crime scene investigation myself. I learned from the show (and not only that one) many things and I'm just endlessly happy and thankful they did create something so awesome brilliant that actually brought some changes to the world around (come on such third party country as mine actually invested into that fancy fingerprint data base thing calling it 'csi style'... I was proud).

Ok I'll save my speech for next cancelled show...

12. mulder42

mulder42 Corpse

That's a nice dream, but I don't think it'll come true. It'll probably be in the 16-18 range, and I'm speaking as a NY fan. :)

I'm sad to see it go as well. I stuck with it through all 10 seasons, the good and the bad. It would've been nice to see that 250-episode milestone if we could've gotten one more season. It's a little upsetting that the 2nd longest in the franchise goes out first, but CBS is looking at the dollars, and it was just way too expensive to keep on.

Lastly, I would just like to say as a fan of all 3 CSI programs, that I hope and pray that we can all keep this a civil discussion about what has happened, because I've already seen it on this board. CSI: NY DID NOT BEAT CSI: Miami. You may like one show over another one, and that's fine--but please don't start bashing each other because the outcome didn't come out the way you wanted it to. That is all--Peace, everyone! :)

Last edited: May 14, 2012
  13. calleighspeedle

calleighspeedle Coroner

Very sad that Miami got cancelled, it was a great 10 years. I'm am glad that CSI: NY has been renewed for another season.

14. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

Saying that NY "won" renewal over Miami is not "bashing" Miami. It's stating a fact. NY was renewed and Miami wasn't so in a sense NY did "win." It doesn't speak to the quality of either show, just that one beat out the other for renewal. I haven't seen any NY fans doing any major gloating on this site anywhere but I have seen Miami fans "bash" someone for simply stating a fact and being happy that NY was renewed.

15. Hardline Pro

Hardline Pro Lab Technician

I personally think all the arguing is pointless. What's done is done. Personally I wish CBS let both shows have one more short 13-episode season to wrap things up. But I think CBS has made it clear that they do not really care about CSI fans anymore. :( The CSI: NY writers now have a chance to create a great series finale, as Season 9 will definitely be the last, I have no doubt about that. That's a chance that the CSI: Miami writers never really had. Sure they didn't have a cliffhanger but I think the series finale could have been better.

Anyways I'll still watch CSI and CSI: NY, but things won't be the same without all 3 shows on-air.

By the way, I spent all afternoon making this farewell tribute to CSI: Miami, if you guys could check it out that'd be cool. Thanks. Link. :)