CSI:Miami cancelled, CSI:NY renewed along with CSI

Discussion in 'General CSI Discussion' started by Faylinn, May 14, 2012.

1. Mr Jo Danville

Mr Jo Danville Witness

I like to see a 24 episodes season espeically csi ny if it getting the axe at the end of the season.

2. Ninja0980

Ninja0980 Police Officer

I would do but I have strong hunch we'll simply be getting another 16-18 episodes,which drives me nuts.
    Even the writer's strike shortened season(which still drives me nuts five years later) had more episodes.

3. Mr Jo Danville

Mr Jo Danville Witness

Oh well, atleast we get a another season.

4. Ninja0980

Ninja0980 Police Officer

Before Cold Case was officially canceled,I had held out hope that it would be back in season 8 but with fewer episodes.
    Wasn't meant to be. I'll take a shorter season of CSI NY than none at all.

5. miamirocks

miamirocks Lab Technician

Hey everyone - just saw this and wanted to post it on both message boards, for the record. Just something else for Miami fans to get pissed about:

2011-2012 TV RATINGS

I just found this article about the 2011-2012 ratings, and guess what - While CSI:NY ranked 94th among 18-49 year olds, CSI:Miami ranked 62nd on the list - 22 points higher on the main demographic - WTF?!? Also, overall, CSI:Miami STILL beat CSI:NY, coming in 32nd while NY came in 34th - this is all despite the CONSTANT DELAYS AND PREEMPTIONS AND THE CRAPPY TIME SLOT.

Not to be a NY hater, but seriously, Miami was doing MUCH BETTER and had NO WARNING of being cancelled - NY was warned TWICE. So instead they give NO CLOSURE to a show that is doing 22 POINTS BETTER and keep the show that has the LOWEST RATING of all the CSIs, and which would've had closure had it ended. I HATE CBS!!!

6. Mac&Adam Fan

Mac&Adam Fan Pathologist

Unforgettable had no warning that it was going to be canned and I think this was its first season as well.

Miami always had those damn sports events that made it run late in East and Central time zones....

7. miamirocks

Yea, I thought Unforgettable was a decent show - not sure why that was cancelled. :confused: However, I will say that a show in its first year always runs that risk that it will be cancelled. Miami was on for 10 years and deserved a much better send-off IMHO b/c it survived for that long. And that was despite those stupid delays on the East Coast the last 2 years :shifty: CBS doesn't seem to know what they're doing :rolleyes:

8. Geeno

Geeno Pathologist

Of course CBS considered that ranking when making the decision over which show should stay and which should go. Obviously it was not enough basis to cancel NY over Miami. CBS might have some projections or analysis that Miami would not do better than NY on Fridays. Remember, we only see tiny bits of ratings. TV networks receive a lot more comprehensive data from Nielsen. Also, maybe NY wouldn't also do better than Miami on Sundays. But CBS needed to free up some space and they think Sunday is the perfect night for The Mentalist so Miami got the axe, aside from the fact that it was more expensive to produce than NY.

About closure, well we don't really know if NY got any warning from CBS. We also don't know if Miami didn't get some kind of warning from CBS. Wasn't Miami's finale supposed to end in a cliffhanger and all of a sudden that idea was scrapped? Maybe that's the warning you've been looking for.

It's the writers' job to give their audience closure in any way. It's just that NY writers were prepared for anything. They were preparing for cancellation and renewal. I call that smart and responsible. If Miami writers failed to give the fans some closure, it's not fair to blame NY for it. It's purely their fault.

9. miamirocks

I agree that CBS took ratings somewhat into consideration, but the bottom line was the cost. CBS is flat out lying to fans and thinking we're stupid by claiming it was b/c they wanted an "all NY" Friday night line up. :rolleyes:

I'm not hating on NY - as I said in my post, I hate CBS, not CSI:NY (although I could never really get into that show, but to each their own). I just hate the way everything was handled by CBS.

If you read the actors' or writers' comments regarding the last episode, it WAS going to be a cliffhanger, but the ONLY WARNING they got, according to them, was MIDWAY THROUGH THE LAST EPISODE, so they had to rework it. CSI:NY was almost cancelled last year, so to me the writing's on the wall and the writers for NY should've been prepared.

I guess you could argue that b/c Miami was on Sunday, and everyone's contract was up, the writing should've been on the wall for them too, but not really - they were doing well despite the crappy timeslot and doing better in the ratings - every interview I've read has had the actors being taken aback by the cancellation. NY had a whole year to close out after the close call last year, but Miami only got a warning halfway through the LAST EPISODE OF THE SEASON. Not fair. Not right. Handled wrong. So wrong.

Anyway, nothing can be done, but Miami deserved better. To quote the "Goodbye CSI:Miami" parody:

"Officially been cancelled
    I guess 10 seasons don't matter anymore
    CBS should appreciate what a hit you were before..."
    :(

10. Geeno

Geeno Pathologist

I agree that CBS' "we want an all-NY night line up" reason was pure BS. This is coming from the network that paired The Good Wife with CSI: Miami, CSI: with Harper's Island (the horrow show), CSI: with another short-lived sci-fi show, The Big Bang Theory with Rob, and bunch of other misfits.

Yeah but they made sure there would still be more story to tell if they got renewed. Nothing was sure last year, renewal or even cancellation.

Not so sure what you mean here. I agree that CBS went a bit fast about cancelling Miami. It's like 10 years was nothing to them. I was actually more surprised (or shocked) that Miami got cancelled than NY being renewed. Some are saying Miami's cancellation is the shocker of the season. But if you're implying that NY should have been cancelled because it had a nicely tied-up finale then it's like saying bosses should fire employees who've already done a good job to the company. That would be totally not fair.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2012
  11. forza juve

forza juve Hit and Run

CBS showed their arrogance by treating a show that made them filthy rich, as if it were a rookie show that doesn't deserve a good send off. Put the last ever episode at the crappiest of times and no real warning that it might be the end. Then expect me just to accept it and happy that we had 10 years. But their arrogance reached new height,s when they came up with such a ludicrous reason for cancellation. All New York lineup?:wtf: They insult my intelligence.

The writers should as much arrogance, believing that they had all the time in the world to give a happy ending to characters that made the show number 1 in the world at one point. That they could ignore some characters. Focus on others and all would be happy. That I should be happy for 1 scene in a bar talking about family. When, for years there was no sign of any "family". Happy, me??? Again, the insult my intelligence.

The fans suffer for their arrogance. But most importantly of all, the actors suffer because of their arrogance.

I wish we'd had the New York writers.

12. Hardline Pro

Hardline Pro Lab Technician

I feel the writers didn't create a very good finale because they weren't warned enough. I think everyone pretty much thought CSI: NY was going to get canceled, I know I thought it was going to be canceled. There were several clues, ex The Mentalist being tested in the Friday at 9 PM slot, I thought for sure they were going to move The Mentalist to NY's slot after it got canceled.

For the past 2 years CSI: NY had been in danger of being canceled and it was clearly evident, so the writers made sure to give it a proper send-off...both times. I never felt that CSI: Miami was in danger of being canceled, granted I did think that Season 11 would be the last.

Instead of choosing 1 show over the other, since both shows have very dedicated fans, CBS should have given both shows a final short 13-episode-or-so season. That way they could give the heads-up to the writers and the fans. Because the truth is, Season 9 will be CSI: NY's last anyways. If both shows' writers and fans were given a final season and a heads-up, I guarantee both shows would end on a good note, they would both have excellent finales, and nobody would be that upset.

But alas this is CBS we are talking about, the most greedy TV company out their in my opinion. They don't give a rat's ass about their fans, they only care about their wallets. :shifty:

13. miamirocks

Totally agree with both of you, forza juve and Hardline Pro. I'm not saying that NY should've been cancelled b/c the actors or writers weren't good - I don't really watch the show that much so I don't have an opinion on that. What I am saying is that NY certainly DID have warnings and hints that it could be cancelled, even from last year. I remember being on the boards last year and fans wondering if this would be the end for NY. Nothing like that for Miami.

CBS itself has made this into a NY vs. Miami issue b/c they themselves said they chose between the two CSIs - it WAS between the two of them, and as a fan of Miami I fail to see how it was a better choice to cancel the show that had hiring ratings overall and did not have any sense of closure, plus it had been on the air for 10 years and was at one time the #1 show in the world.

The only factor for CBS was money (as always :rolleyes: ), and yet they can't even admit that. The actors were shocked, and you can tell how sad they are. Emily Procter was NOT even in the final scene of a show she starred in for 10 YEARS. :wtf: So much for "family." (Although I do blame that on the writers - they could've found some way to get her to that bar - us fans have come up w/several scenarios - hard to believe Emily did not share the final scene with the rest of the cast, which really pissed me off. :shifty: )

CSI:Miami deserves closure. NY had closure - many fans said that had the finale been the last show of NY, they would've felt it closed out well. For Miami, there was no warning until the last episode, and by then it was too late. It seems CBS is saying we're lucky they didn't just keep the old script and end it on a cliffhanger :rolleyes:

I agree that the "team spirit" wasn't really felt as much in the last 4 years as it had been in the earlier seasons, something I've always complained about. It's ashame Miami writers only realized too late that the core of the show is about how the team is a family.

Horatio seemed very out of place in that last scene, and I felt like there needed to be some "airing out" between him and the team about how depressed and removed his been since the death of Marisol.

A better finale would've had Horatio facing some sort of consequences and apologizing to his team, perhaps even crying a bit like he did when Eric was in the hospital (for the 20th time :rolleyes:) in Season 8, telling the team how much they meant to him and why he's been so off and aloof. The ending should've been H coming to terms w/the man he's become and the impact that had on the team, not some "coombaya" moment where we all pretend they've been one happy family. :rolleyes:

Anyway, the ratings prove that Miami - despite incredible odds and countless delays and a couple of pre-emptions - was able to rise above and be a strong show for that Sunday time slot. CBS screwed Miami's fans and actors - and they should try to make things right somehow by getting the cast on board for some sort of TV movie or something to close out an iconic show.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2012
  14. Lego107

Lego107 Dead on Arrival

I am so pissed at CBS. New York now had 3 chances to create a GREAT series finale. FFS. Season 7 had a better ending than 8. Miami only got 1 chance at creating a good one. Damn I am upset.

They should have renewed both shows for ONE LAST SEASON AND LET BOTH HAVE A GOOD ENDING. EITHER THAT OR WE NEED A CSI MIAMI MOVIE. So what if Miami is far fetched? It is more entertaining than dull old NY and Vegas which switches the cast every other season!!

I AM PISSED AT CBS. WHAT WE SHOULD DO IS SEND CBS SUNGLASSES IN THE MAIL, LIKE PEOPLE SEND DINOSAUR TOYS TO FOX WHEN THEY CANCELED TERRA NOVA. WHO IS WITH ME?

15. miamirocks

Check out Twitter for a couple of pictures from the impromptu "cast party" for CSI:Miami. Awesome to see that the actors are so close.

CBS made a huge mistake axing this team - they were awesome and deserved some sort of closure, just like Eva LaRue lamented.

Oh, and I'm sick of CBS saying its b/c they liked the "flow" of the Friday nite lineup - what BS. (TV guide had another article where CBS said that AGAIN :rolleyes:) Bring back Miami! It was popular and you know it, CBS! A show on for 10 years - and once the #1 show in the world - deserves closure!

Here's a link to the pics from the cast party (not sure why they couldn't be imbedded from Twitter):

https://twitter.com/emilyprocter/sta.../photo/1/large

https://twitter.com/evalaruecappoo/s.../photo/1/large