Episode 10x11 - 'Crowned' ***CONTAINS SPOILERS***

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by Finch, Dec 10, 2011.

?

Grade

1. A+

4 vote(s)
    12.9%
  2. A

9 vote(s)
    29.0%
  3. B+

10 vote(s)
    32.3%
  4. B

4 vote(s)
    12.9%
  5. C+

3 vote(s)
    9.7%
  6. C

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. F

1 vote(s)
    3.2%
  1. spencerreidfan

spencerreidfan Police Officer

That was clever and very well done on their part; however, it always seems as though Walter pulls the piece of the puzzle that solves the murder out of thin air. That's a talent usually reserved for H.

2. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

WHAT???!!! Ryan point blank told Frank that he learned to pick locks from his Uncle Ron! If that's what she said then in the future, the writers need to review past episodes' info. The fans remember details like this.

Didn't have a problem with the end scene. It's not like Horatio pushed him over the edge. The guy did it to himself. Horatio isn't obligated to pull him up. He could just say, "Well, I was having to chase after the guy and had to catch my breath. I never would have been able to lift him up right after having to run after him". I hate to say it, but I think I would have had to let the guy fall too. Of course, I wouldn't physically be able to lift him up because I'm a girl with very little upper body strength LOL.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2011
  3. greatfan

greatfan Captain

^^
    Those two writers have been around a while too.They don't even have the poor excuse of being a newer writer.It should be a prerequisite that newer writers be or become familiar with the characters and the writers that have been there for a while have regular reviews.

4. spencerreidfan

spencerreidfan Police Officer

LOL, I wondered if Horatio would even be able to pull him up. If anyone asked, he could say that he tried and the guy slipped. Nobody was watching.

I also found it surprising that Horatio missed him several times when he was shooting. He rarely misses.

5. GregNickRyanFan

Yeah, I agree. I'm just gonna assume that it was like a domino effect. Uncle Ron taught Ryan who then taught Eric, who in turn taught Natalia. :lol:

6. silentdisco

silentdisco Police Officer

Definitely one of the season's better episodes, so I gave it a B. It felt like the first episode in quite a long time that kind of stretched reality (death by tripping over a spray tanning device and falling so that you're stabbed in the eye by a pageant crown? Talk about freak accident!), but didn't seem completely implausible. That's one of the things I used to enjoy about Miami- some of the crimes/stories were pretty adventurous, but they still seemed theoretically possible in the real world. There was a certain amount of suspension of reality, but without going too far and having something outrageously obnoxious like "it was the dinosaurs! That's what killed them!'

Screentime felt pretty even.

Good to see Aisha Hinds again, I loved her on Detroit 1-8-7. Shame that show got canceled, it had real potential and some good talent. She did a great job in this ep.

I'm usually the one complaining about Horatio "going rogue" and crossing the line too much and too often in the past few years, but for once I gave him a pass on this one. Child molesters are the scum of the Earth. I don't think I would've helped the guy up, either.:devil:

7. GregNickRyanFan

I didn't know her from that show because I didn't watch it. But I remember her from True Blood and one episode of SVU. But when I saw her on last night's Miami, I said, "hey, its that lady from True Blood" lol.

Although an episode of CSI LV last season or the season before made even THAT plausible LOL! Well, sort of it. It was a robotic dinosaur that someone was controlling with a remote in order to kill someone, but still LOL.

8. mjszud

mjszud Captain

I'm in between on the Horatio subject. I agree he has reason to snap, however, my issue is that he's too calm most of the time & it comes off looking very cold; which in turn makes him look a little on the psycho side.
    Had he been raging mad & the situation was heated (like his emotions with Randy at the pier in the S9 finale), then it wouldn't have bothered me as much. But his every-so-often urges to punch someone or, in this case, let them die, just feels very forced now & it's becoming boring -- TPTB need to actually take it somewhere.

I was happy to see that the mom's death was an accident opposed to another mother being overly competitive. It allowed them to focus more on the real issue, & that is the danger involved with kids being exposed in this way.

Loved the last scene with Tori & Natalia. :adore:

And another thing about Horatio.... is it too much to ask that he respond to his colleagues when they're talking to him!? Maybe I just never noticed it before, but it seems more often than not, the other person might as well be talking to a brick wall. I can't help but love the character - regardless of TPTB's stupidity - but this whole storyline with him is truly grating on my nerves.

I watched the scene over again, I think she actually says "long time ago", not "Delko".

9. GregNickRyanFan

Oh, okay. Well, I hope that's what she said. The channel's audio messed up a few times so I was unable to understand her, but then someone said she said Delko.

10. MiamiWolfe

MiamiWolfe Pathologist

Okay, I have to admit before I get started that because of a busy weekend and the very late start (9:41 CST which also messed with my recording of the eppie) I actually slept through the first 20 minutes:brickwall:, so I am just going to comment on what I saw.

I thought this was an interesting topic for Miami to tackle. I hate this type of beauty pagents; girls are taught at an early age that beauty is more important than what is inside. Besides, putting make-up and bleach the teeth of a six year old is not only wrong and dangerous but just flat out creepy.

Random Thoughts:

Get Melrose a lot of therapy: she isn't going to get over her Mom's accident without it.

Loved Calleigh and Melrose together. Calleigh definitely has some motherly instincts.

From what I saw of Ryan (which wasn't much) I liked.

The husband and wife team using the pagents for the husband's hunting ground made me shudder. Scumballs. Wanted to see Calleigh or Nat camel slap the wife.

Again young kids in make up. Creepy, creepy creepy.

As for the last scene, I am not sure how I feel. I can see both sides.

This is starting to annoy me as well; how did they survive without Walter around:rolleyes::rolleyes:.

From what I saw, it was pretty good. Will definitely need to catch the rerun.

11. Brianna17

Brianna17 Dead on Arrival

I really liked this episode. Kids beauty pagents are discusting. Kids need to be kids.

The crown in the eye was a little much. I dont have a weak stomach at all but i always cringe when something happens to someones eye :/

I liked Ryans shirt and he looked really tan :)

Calleigh and Natalia had really sweet scenes with the kids :)

I like Calleigh and Ryan scenes. They act off each other well.

I just wish Ryan had a sweet scene with one of the kids. Seems like everyone else has in the past except him. He would great with kids :)

I didn't mind the end scene. I think it ended suddenly though. But that guy was a sick pig. Sorry but he deserved it. Horatio was a little harsh but i dont mind.

Natalia was in it a lot. I guess making up for her missed episodes. But when Ryan was walking away and calling H to tell him he got the address of the movie theater, shouldnt he have gone with him and not Natalia? If that were true then it would have been and A+. I give it an A.

12. inthewind

inthewind CSI Level Two

:( :( :(
    Anyone who thinks Horatio was justified, due to his 'issues', etc., should watch Season One finale and then watch this one. Nearly identical scenarios, radically different outcome. His scenes with Stewart Otis stamped the Horatio character for the life of the series (or so I thought). The more recent, vigilante traits eroded that character. Last night, whatever moral integrity remained, was apparently extinguished forever. Nice job, TPTB!

13. GregNickRyanFan

Originally it was going to be Horatio and Edwin trapped in a burning building and Horatio was going to get out and lock Edwin in there to burn. That would have been a bit much. However, in this case, Horatio might not have been able to pull the guy up (he might still be somewhat sore from the gunshot wound he suffered at the end of last season, it really hasn't been that long. Only what a couple of months?) and would risk falling himself. Why would someone (even a cop) risk their own life for the life of a child molester? It would be one thing if the guy was only accused and they hadn't basically caught him in the act. But they caught him with a little girl chained to a chair, there was no doubt of his intentions or guilt.

I think H made a good decision based on risking his life to save the life of a child molester. If he hadn't recently been shot, I might think differently. But like I said, he could still be sore from the gunshot and may have calculated what his ability to pull the guy up would be and may have decided not to risk both of them falling. That said, it was the dialogue that made it seem more cold than it actually was.

14. daisymay

daisymay Police Officer

Oh, I remember Season 1 finale well enough. That's my whole point - it's 9-10 years ago and look what's happened to him in the meantime? All characters evolve, even Horatio. He could never have stayed as idealistic as he started out. He's been too badly hurt, and it's showing.

15. GregNickRyanFan

Also, if you think about it, Horatio may have done Edwin a favor by letting him fall. It was a quick, virtually painless death. As soon as he fell, he was pretty much dead. If he'd been taken into custody, other prisoners, knowing he was a child molester would have probably tortured him before killing him. And they probably would have tortured him in horrible ways. Just saying...

By the way, I just realized the guy who played Edwin is the same guy who played/plays Officer Akers on CSI Vegas. His last episode of it was the season finale "In A Dark Dark House". According to imdb, he's been in 29 episode of CSI Vegas as Officer Akers.