Episode 10x03 - 'Blown Away' ***CONTAINS SPOILERS***

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by Finch, Oct 8, 2011.

1. BlueDiamondStar

BlueDiamondStar Coroner

Well I start to get this niggling feeling that tptb has done it again- turned promising plotline into somewhat disappointing drabble.
    I'm still looking forward of seeing it but nonetheless it makes me wonder if they ever can do NORMAL storyline for an episode.
    Also I think they still tend to make superhumans out of characters.

I certainly wasn't expecting Eric centred episode. Again they managed to trick us. I truly belived it'd be, once and for all, Ryan centric episode. Yeah I was expecting him being bit more injured. Maybe some short time spent in hospital with the team throwing jokes around by his bedside (it's kinda my wish ever since Nailed).
    But whatever they did proves only one thing- writers still suck at certain things and still struggle at writing truly and overly exciting story.
    But I'm not judge here to tell. We all have different views.

I'd definately find something more to say after watching episode myself.

2. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

35 minute delay here. :sigh: But its probably a good thing in my case that it was delayed because I was kind of dealing with some family things. Anyway, onto my notes made while watching the episode:

Was it my imagination or wast there more than one tornado?

Yikes... that pipe almost hitting Walter. Loved the way his eyes went up in shock though.

Horatio is calling Ryan by his first name. Yay!

Walter's freaking out.

Loved this line from Walter about the cadaver dog: "Find that pooch a porterhouse and send me the bill". :lol:

They didn't even know their daughter was there?

The idiots who drive into storms. LOL. Gotta love Frank. His blue tie is pretty.

The doggie Eric found is so cute. :adore:

I knew Loman was gonna say the vic was pregnant as soon as he told H he should see the bloodwork.

OMG! Calleigh's in a purple shirt instead of all black!

LOL Guys are calling Ryan "Dorothy" and he tells Walter that makes him "Toto". :guffaw:

"The Weather Twins" hehe. I knew they had framed Jared. I wish Eric hadn't gone into the hospital room and yelled at the poor guy.

Did anyone see the C-spire commercial during the show? I swear that guy looked kind of like Stetler.

3. silentdisco

silentdisco Police Officer

Well, I'm disappointed. The episode wasn't terrible, but it really wasn't as good as I was hoping it would be.

There were some things I did like...

- pretty much everything with Walter and Ryan in it. All their scenes and interactions seemed realistic (in terms of feelings and actions) and dynamic. I like that they're friends.
    - Calleigh and Eric FINALLY flirting. Goodness gracious, I've missed that. Now if TPTB could just make a freaking clear-cut decision about the status of their relationship. Together, apart, obviously I would prefer together, but even broken up would be better than this ambiguous limbo they're in right now.
    - Special effects were very neat

...and some things I didn't like:

- Science fails. Multiple ones. As someone else already mentioned, the NWS uses the Enhanced Futijita (EF) scale, not the old one. Also, at the beginning, when they said "a tornado warning has been issued for the rest of the day", I couldn't help but roll my eyes. A tornado warning in a county/town means "take shelter, NOW" and doesn't last all day (because tornadoes move and eventually fizzle out). A tornado watch on the other hand, could last for an entire day. It means there's a distinct likelihood of severe weather, so pay attention. Seriously, it takes a 30 second google search to find out this information. Way to go with the research, writers! :rolleyes:
    - Also, Walter and Ryan forgetting Pascals? They're SCIENTISTS. CSIs. Even if they hadn't used pressure measurements in a while and forgot what constitutes high/low pressure, they should've at least remembered what they're called.
    - Eric's temper. Seriously? I get that the job makes him feel things, he's not a robot, he has emotions, but it was a little over-the-top. I understand that getting mad at Walter in the beginning could've been a legitimate first reaction for someone in that situation, but if they went that route, I would've liked to see Eric apologize to Walter later on. And getting really aggressive and angry at a person in a fragile condition like Jared was? Not cool. I'm glad he apologized, but he shouldn't have done that in the first place. Even if he was angry because he thought he saved the life of a scumbag, he should've been able to control that anger, or let it out in a healthy way by himself. I really like Eric, but this isn't the Eric I like. This is immature regression Eric that reminds me of his and Ryan's rocky beginning a bunch of seasons back.
    - Very little Calleigh. I'm going to be an optimist and say "oh well, it's okay, it happens, everybody gets their turn on the backburner once in a while", and hope it's not a pattern TPTB are going to continue for the rest of the season.

I agree. I was definitely expecting something different from this episode, but most of it was the same kind of crap that continues to disappoint me.

4. BlueDiamondStar

BlueDiamondStar Coroner

I bet it was totally freaky.

Rare moment but awesome. Yay! :D

LOL :guffaw:

WOW! That's something new. Haven seen her wearing anything aside black in a while.

LOL. ROFL. LMAO.
    I better get this episode downloaded so I could cut it out:lol:

LOL. That is all SO FUNNY :guffaw:

Walter and Ryan always makes it funny.

5. Bellemaria

Bellemaria Prime Suspect

I know somebody got tied of damsel (and not damsel) in distress situation but I'm not. So I LOVE this episode:adore:

Ryan and Walter in the beggining - great scene. Walter trying to save his partner:thumbsup: And after he thought he didin't deserve a commendation... no you deserve it, no doubt
    Frank and "idiots that drive into tornadoes" just made my evening:guffaw:
    Horatio comforting victim's mother (even though parents seemed a bit fishy) like old times.
    Calleigh making potato gun - don't mess with this girl, she is dangerous even without a firearm:lol:
    and Eric... Eric, Eric, Eric... yes, your boss last season was a bit out of line but it doesn't mean you should be a copycat. Also Horatio've never harassed anyone at a death's door.

6. GregNickRyanFan

Oh yeah, I forgot... Cal and the story about how she used the potato gun when she was a kid (did she mention siblings or did I imagine that? lol) and then her making one and demonstrating how Jared was injured... it was neat to see her assembling a weapon again.

Well, Ryan not remembering it could be due to his injuries. Maybe he hit his head and it made him a little forgetful. :shrug:

7. mjszud

mjszud Captain

Many posts here echo my own thoughts of this episode. Some parts of the episode were great, others were just downright obnoxious & annoying.

I had been hoping Ryan would take a little more of the stage this time around, but instead the focus seemed to be more on Eric having a serious case of PMS & Walter struggling with guilt (his part I did enjoy, though).

Special effects were good, the intro was exciting.

Loved the ending most of all. Jared's tears, the kid leaning over his dead girlfriend, the parents crying....it was all very moving.

Walter & Ryan's friendship was certainly a highlight; always love to see that. And, of course the view we got of Mr. Wolfe in that scene was an unexpected surprise as well. Next time....drop the towels. :p

8. BlueDiamondStar

BlueDiamondStar Coroner

Hmm... Potato gun? I wonder what that thing might look and what it is at all. But Calleigh probably knows all the weapons on this planet :lol:
    That might be reasonable explanation but if Walter too....?
    Hmm they're doing things simultaneously or I'm just seeing things.

So I'm actually thrilled to watch the episode (friend just please don't cancel our weekend plans).

9. hiphugger17

hiphugger17 Coroner

:lol: I love Eric, but all I kept thinking throughout this episode was: dude you have GOT to chill!!! :lol:

10. silentdisco

silentdisco Police Officer

That's true, Ryan did have a very eventful day. He gets a pass on this one. I suppose I should give Walter a pass too. It just struck me as a little odd that they had to think so hard to remember, but maybe I was reading too much into it.

My mom thought she was building a pipe bomb and said "should we call Homeland Security?" :lol:

This is what I was thinking. Of course, the shipper in me was thinking "Someone's sexually frustrated. This wouldn't have happened if you and Calleigh were still together." :evil:

Last edited: Oct 10, 2011
  11. BlueDiamondStar

BlueDiamondStar Coroner

Oooohh yes yes:drool:
    I want that scene next time defo LOL.

I've loved Ryan/Walter interactions since the first time. I think they have this chemistry. It's so funny to watch them.
    I'm recalling previous episode's funny moments of them. Gosh I was rolling on the floor from laughter

12. MiamiWolfe

MiamiWolfe Pathologist

I love football but I didn't enjoy the eppie starting 35 minutes late. It was a very watchable episode though:

Random Thoughts:

Yikes, Ryan and Walter, the LAST place one should be in a tornado is in a trailer park!!

I got a little freaked watching Ryan fly out of the room. And it is not unrealistic to think Ryan couldn't have been hurt worse, what with a piece of furniture on top of him.

The only bone I had to pick after the tornado pass by, is if that was truly a trailer court, I don't think there would be a closet standing for Walter to emerge from. The tornado should destroy or blow away the trailer.

Could hear the concern in H's voice when he called out for "Ryan".

Got kick out of Calleigh's knowledge of potatoe guns:lol:

Although I had to agree Eric's anger was over the top, I enjoyed his scene with the dog and teasing Calleigh about having a short hairy boyfriend for her:lol:

"You know what they call me? Dorothy. Which makes you Toto":guffaw::lol:

God Frank cracks me up.

I thought the twist with the boyfriend being ashamed of just watching as the "weather twins":lol: kill his girlfriend was interesting.

I loved Ryan and Walter's scene in the locker room. I love their friendship and how comfortable they are with each other.

And Ryan in a towel...nothing more needs to be said.

13. GregNickRyanFan

:lol: Yeah. He was cute with the little dog though. I wonder if they ever found the owner or if the doggie did go home with Cal.

I nearly fell off the bed when I saw that scene, it was so unexpected. I definitely did a jawdrop lol.

14. BlueDiamondStar

BlueDiamondStar Coroner

Yikes! I will try not to faint, choke on drinks, drop the pc or break any furniture :lol:

If the scene's the way I imagine then I hope I won't hurt myself watching it :guffaw:

15. miamirocks

miamirocks Lab Technician

RE: Last night's episode - I agree with most of what everyone has said.

1. Tornado scene/searching for Ryan - Wonderfully done - the raw emotion was there - loved H calling out "Ryan!" Like that Eric was concerned, but he turned into his typical bully self and went all EMO on Walter (then didn't even apologize later) :wtf: - baaad Eric.

2. Ryan hurt (or not really :confused: ) - The way they found him, I thought he'd be pretty banged up and in the hospital at least for the episode. I was really hoping for a team hospital scene or at least a "welcome back, thank God you're OK" thing (like the team taking him out for drinks after). Calleigh didn't even have a scene w/Ryan, and neither did Nat - very disappointed about that. If you're gonna put someone in distress, you might as well show the entire team's reaction. :rolleyes:
    (SIDE NOTE: Why is it that every time Eric gets hurt, it's like the CSI's world is ending - he gets all the hospital scenes and team love. Even Calleigh had a couple of hospital scenes, though not as much team love. Ryan gets zilch - not cool!)

3. EMO Eric - Delko, Delko, Delko. Gosh knows I haven't been a big fan of his since Season 4, and this is basically why. Somehow, our "Ryan" episode becomes an Eric one (much like the Season 8 ep. "Wolfe in Sheep's Clothing," where Ryan's kidnapping was overshadowed by that wonderful :rolleyes: "sex scene" between Eric and Calleigh :shifty: - still pissed about that one.).

Now at first, I really liked where the Eric thing was going - the dog scene was cute and it was very cool to see him save a life. But then he goes all "bad cop" on the guy when he thinks he's a criminal, and you've just got to wonder if he thinks he can get away with the same bullying s$&*t Horatio does. Eric is way too emotional on the job and it can cost him his job - but of course, Eric can never do any wrong in the team's eyes :rolleyes:. I did like that he apologized at the end, but still, even if the guy was guilty, you shouldn't be making matters worse by almost sending him into cardiac arrest and killing him - be a professional!

4. The Potato Gun - The whole episode, I was like "Where's Calleigh?" Interesting that the tornado scene was originally written for her - but I think it worked much better w/Walter and Ryan - their friendship and dynamic is much more pleasurable to watch than another annoying E/C melodrama scene.:rolleyes: I did like Calleigh building the gun, and didn't mind the scenes between her and Eric, although the new boyfriend thing was kind of :rolleyes:. Seriously, this E/C thing is gettin' old, and it's about time the writers put it to rest so they can just interact like normal - the roof scene was much more natural and better, IMHO.

5. Ryan/Walter - The dynamic duo, Dorothy and Toto :lol: LOVE their friendship, and like someone else said, this shows how awesome Ryan is. He wasn't holding any grudges or blaming Walter (like Eric did :rolleyes:) - no, he wanted to help his friend and make sure Walter wasn't feeling bad about what happened. Loved the locker room scene (although I missed the tatoo:confused: ). I think their friendship is what I miss about the show - Speed and Eric had that kind of friendship in the early years, and H and Cal kinda did too in their own way. Now with the team kinda in pieces, it's good to see the solid friendship between Ryan and Walter.

6. H comforting the wife at the end - The husband seemed a bit weird and aloof to me. But I LOVED that H comforted her - reminded of the "old" Horatio of seasons 1-3.

Overall, the ep. reminded me of the earlier seasons (1-3), and the storyline actually kept me guessing - it was an engaging mystery, and I was never sure who the culprit was.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2011