Episode 9x22 - 'Mayday' - ***CONTAINS SPOILERS ***

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by FieldMouse, May 7, 2011.

1. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

An okay episode. The last ten minutes did nothing for me since I knew it was coming. I kind of wish I hadn't read the spoilers for this one lol.

Randy was pretty stupid though. He probably could have gotten a lawyer and fought the custody decision, but now no matter what he has no chance of getting them back and he'll get many years in prison for two attempted murders on two law enforcement officers.

2. Theresa

Theresa Lab Technician

Another chaotic episode with everyone running around in a frenzy. IMHO, too many of them this season. I miss the forensics and team interaction (sounds like a complaint that never seems to go away). In fact, the best scenes were with Ryan because it was like the old show; e.g., Ryan and Tom taking jabs at each other and the Ryan and Calleigh scene where they were working together. Didn't realize how much I missed this pairing. Again, why are they overdoing Natalia? I like her, but am beginning to like her less because she is everywhere. I like Renee alot and feel she is a good addition for next season. Not worried in the least about the final scene. Somehow the trunk will jar loose and she will swim to safety.

3. daisymay

daisymay Police Officer

Oh believe me, some of us are! (Especially when we've seen only the spoilers, not the episode). No, I don't think David will leave the show 'until the wheels come off' - Adam's phrase, if I remember. But that's logic, not emotion.

4. Piranya

Piranya Victim

WOW, I LOVED the last 10 minutes of the show. H was definitely shot in the stomach. You can see the bullet hole with some blood clearly right after he got shot. Just dunno why they made the blood on his right hand look as if he has been shot in the shoulder/arm. If H was shot in the stomach he is seriously injured and I am pretty sure he will not be able to play the hero and save Natalia. Maybe Natalia is able to make the saving phone call and by that H will be saved but she will not make it. Would be pretty tough for H to deal with that.
    What are your thoughts?
    Great season finale! CanĀ“t wait for the next season. :) Sorry for my "terrible" english, I am a German chick and I do LOVE CSI! (Vegas and Miami) Have a great time everyone:)

5. Carolyn_333

Carolyn_333 Pathologist

First off: that was the CBS show THE TALK not ABC's THE VIEW.
    Now, here's a link to a behind the scenes video about the season 9 season finale I posted in the **Season Nine Spoiler Lab** - Take Two thread.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-zXk-KPYpw
    Listen to what David Caruso says starting at 1:32 about the ending of this episode. To quote part of what David says "2 of the regulars are very harmed."

6. Delynn

Delynn CSI Level One

Just wanted to reiterate something that I posted in the Horatio/David thread. I enjoyed the episode last night ... specifically that final 10 minutes!

David (along with Eva La Rue) did an excellent job! Especially in that last 10 minutes! David's performance after Horatio was shot is a prime example of this man's true abilities and this show's terrible history of NOT taking advantage of them.

They've been seriously guilty of that with Eva La Rue for several seasons ... until THIS season. This season has proved, to everyone who has an open mind about it, what an incredibly talented actress Eva is.

I haven't felt anxious for a CSI Miami premiere for several seasons now. But that changed last night. The strength of David and Eva's portrayals of Horatio and Natalia last night, and their amazing ability to project the horrible desperation each character displayed in those final moments, resulted in a cliff hanger that will definitely have me there for the season 10 premiere.

I'm really hoping that they are not going to pull a fast one on us and have Horatio's injury be just a scratch. That wouldn't do the character of Horatio any justice at all! Horatio WOULD NOT allow someone on his team to be locked in a trunk and driven off the pier if he had only a flesh wound injury!

With Horatio being shot and Natalia locked in the trunk of a car ... in the water and going down, no less ... Frank on a tear after his injury (didn't see Frank pulling back as was previously mentioned he would - maybe I just missed it but he seemed pretty focused on catching that dude to me) ... the premier for season 10 has awesome potential if there is true follow through for these characters.

I realize they were trying to stuff a lot into this episode, but I could have used a little more Ryan! ;)

And on first glance, I liked Renee. She's a strong, professional, self-confident woman and not a clingy, needy woman-child like Marisol or a criminal who refuses to take her meds like Julia. I didn't necessarily see the 'chemistry' between Renee and Horatio that TPTB are trying to tell us is so obvious. If it's THAT obvious I'm thinking I should see it right away, but maybe seeing them together in some more scenes will help. I won't trust TPTB's judgment on this. They have a disasterous track record in this area, imho!

BTW, didn't spoilers indicate that Renee was going to be shot??

TPTB on this show have a dismal record with consistency and follow through. I'm crossing my fingers that they give these awesome actors some real quality material for resolution of this storyline. One that doesn't minimize the impact to the characters. They are MORE then up to the challenge!

Last edited: May 9, 2011
  7. byline

byline CSI Level One

Wow. I'd never heard that before about why Annie Parisse was written out of the series. The "official" line was that she quit because she didn't like how her character was being written; though the whole "how the character was written" thing could be linked, as well. It was too bad, because I thought she was quite good in the role. (Conversely, it makes me wonder if that's why the far less capable Elisabeth Rohm was able to stay on the series for so long.) However, Parisse's exit did make way for Alana de la Garza, whose first season was none too impressive; not really her fault, as the same was true for the series, overall. But then, after they introduced Linus Roache, the two developed a wonderful chemistry that gave the series a much-needed boost.

Anywhooo, I don't often watch the Miami spinoff, but did last night. Once I found out that Callum Keith Rennie was guest-starring (he's amazing in the Canadian TV series, "Shattered"), I tuned in. As others have noted, most of the episode wasn't all that compelling (I'm a fan of Rennie, so I could've done with more scenes from him), but the last 10 minutes were riveting. Even I want to know how this comes out! (And it looks like we may be seeing more of Rennie next season.)

8. hiphugger17

hiphugger17 Coroner

The episode wasn't really impressive. Just kind of more of the same. Like someone said, lots of running around lol.

Things I liked:

-Callum Keith Rennie :). Love him, miss him from his days as creepy Leoben in BSG.

-Renee: she's actually a mature woman :eek:. Her character seems pretty decent. Though I do have to say that I didn't see the sparks flying between her and Horatio. Maybe later?? IDK. She did made me miss Yelina cause between her and Horatio now that's how sparks fly ;).

-Calleigh was in more than one scene :). I really liked her scene with Walter when they were trying to decipher were the plane was most likely to be headed to. It was easy to follow and logical.

-Horatio getting shot!!!!! Wow finally!!! He actually has the scars to prove it now :lol:. I thought he was shot in the shoulder but some have said the stomach so I'll have to take another look. Hope he is not suddenly getting up, jumping in the water, prying open the trunk, and saving Natalia when the season starts up :shifty:.

-Frank being pissed off :lol:.

Things I didn't like:

-The episode overall was kind of blah.

-The whole courtroom sequence with the custody hearing felt really out of place to me. Yes it gave us insight as to how the episode would end but still it was just sort of crammed in there.

-Natalia everywhere, just because she's not someone I find interesting so..meh. The ending sequence was really well done and horrible to watch but mostly for me because I'm claustrophobic so it freaked me out and not because I'm worried about Natalia's outcome.

Definitely ready for a new season! ;)

9. yen35

yen35 Witness

The episode was very good and I thought that Eva La Rue did an outstanding job. This episode really gave her a chance to show off her skills which is great.

I was a bit confused when only Natalia and Horatio went to the pier. Surely, this guy ( I can't remember his name now, the escapee) was supposed to be a dangerous criminal right? So would just 2 cops go to a place where he was supposed to show up?
    I liked the rest of the plot about the money and the kidnapping of the 16 year old girl. I also liked Renee's character and I think she's better suited to Horatio than Marisol if she wishes to continue. I hadn't read spoilers for this episode so it was a surprise to me that she was an undercover secret service agent.
    Oh yes, I thought it was a little strange that everyone in the plane (1st scene) was bribed (or did I get that wrong) to help the prisoner. Difficult to follow without captions sometimes. Will wait patiently for the dvd set.

The final few minutes were very good. I did prefer last year's season finale to this one tho. Has Eva La Rue already signed a contract for next season? I remember watching an interview with her for last season's finale and I think she mentioned her contract was up at that time meaning she signed a 2 year contract in 2010?

I thought that it was a little extreme for the guy who lost custody of his kids to try to murder Natalia when she wasn't the one who handed out the verdict. Would have made more sense if he went after the judge, in my opinion.

10. Arkle

Arkle Dead on Arrival

Actually both are true. She wanted to leave the show, but rather than be given a dignified exit like most characters on the show got, they wrote her out in a way that even people who didn't like the character just thought was horribly mean.

11. byline

byline CSI Level One

My guess is that she will luck out and have an air bubble at the top of the trunk giving her enough air to breathe -- as long as she stays calm and doesn't panic -- until backup (hopefully equipped with scuba gear) arrives to get her out. I'm guessing that Eric may be the one to save the day, since he's the one with scuba training and experience.

If, as was posted earlier in a quote from David Caruso, two characters are seriously harmed -- that indicates H and Nat -- then I hope we don't get the tired, old "she's suffered brain injury and is in a coma" routine, only to have her miraculously make a complete recovery, with no aftereffects. Brain injury is far, far more complex (and often devastating) than that, and TV shows have, by and large, done a real disservice to people living with brain injury by dumbing down the consequences with a "happily ever after" ending.
    So true.

12. MelxxWhoLuvsYa

MelxxWhoLuvsYa Rookie

Now this was an episode! :) Though the last scene did it for me! Poor Natalia and Horatio! David really did well in that scene to convay H''s pain and shock! And I have to say Eva was wonderful (throughout the episode) - She hit every emotion perfectly and made them beliavable! The way she wanted for the kids to stay with their dad (and even fought for them - go Nat! :thumbsup:) - it was very true to her caring nature.

I loved how she worried about Horatio while protecting him too. Profesional yet compassionate - only Natalia can pull both off.

Though I don't know if she can pull off an escape! :( When the episode started with the car going into the water, and you could see her struggling to get out and screaming I honestly think my heart lepped from my chest! :eek: The panic was radiating off her in waves - I doubt anyone who watched didn't feel it.

Other than for a lack of Ryan time - this episode was 100% gold! :thumbsup:

I thought so too, but I guess if they didn't want the escapee to know they were there, or if they were the first two to respond and backups on the way - either way, TPTB needed a way for Natalia and Horatio to be alone at the pier.

Again I agree, but then again, I don't think it was the actuall verdict that pissed the dad off. I think it was the fact that he kept asking Natalia to go back and argue his case - but she was too busy trying to find the kidnapped girl. Then, when hearing his kids were split up in foster care, he went over the edge and blamed her for everything.

And again, TPTB had to set up a cliffhanger, and I say that they did!!!! Oh I'm dying for the new season! :wtf: I think I've developed a nervous twitch! :wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf:

13. snowbunny

snowbunny Hit and Run

I actually think H was shot in the back, maybe upper right shoulder, maybe even hitting a lung, because I can't see that little nervous weasle Randy being able to pull off getting the drop on H if he's in front of him. Plus, when Randy comes up and hits Nat, he comes from behind her. Also, I didn't see any sparks flying between H and Renee the way TPTB talked about, I was expecting flames! haha One thing I noticed in the last scene when Natalia was being dragged by Randy, did anyone else notice her shoes? They looked like sensible shoes, when was the last time Nat or Cal wore anything but 4 inch heels? Maybe it was so she should brace her feet against the roof of the trunk and push it open and save herself. Oh well, just my thoughts!

14. Hardline Pro

Hardline Pro Lab Technician

I went and watched the last scene online, then paused when H got shot, looks like he was shot in the lower abdomen.

Anyways, the episode was great as always, especially the end. Seeing Horatio down (for real this time, unlike in Season 6) really did it for me, he is actually a person, not just a superhero 24/7.

BRING ON SEASON 10!!! I highly doubt that there will be no Season 10, CBS wouldn't let one of their veteran shows end like this. But the ratings for the last few episodes of CSI: Miami, including the finale, have been bad. But it is still racking in more viewers than CM: Suspect Behavior, Blue Bloods, Hawaii Five-0, and The Good Wife.

This may be the last summer that I have to wait for a new season on CSI: Miami. If I had to bet, Season 10 will be the last. :(

15. Jag Lady

Jag Lady Lab Technician

Time to ruin it for everyone.

The last ten minutes:

You have to assume the shooter, if it was the perp, was about 100 feet away. Nobody heard the gunshot? Natalia better get that hearing aid checked.

Upon hearing a gunshot from 100 feet away, even if she didn't hear it, when Horatio went down, she should've hit the ground also.

Don't Miami police carry radios? And it seems like no matter how dangerous the situation is, they never call for backup.

Then there's the car in the water. A front-end car will sink nose first, as happened. It takes two to three minutes for the trunk part to be in the water. Once that happens, it usually fills up within 60 seconds.

Let's assume Natalia can hold her breath for up to a minute, instead of making a cell phone call, which would have used up some breath. After another minute of being exposed to the water, she'll be brain-damaged from hypoxia. Two minutes or so after that, well, I hope Natalia had her affairs in order because she'll be dead.

Horatio will be back next season, fully recovered, and ready to jump right back into police work. Call it a hunch.

Well, like they used to say, That's Hollywood.