9x14 - 'Stoned Cold ***CONTAINS SPOILERS***

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by FieldMouse, Feb 26, 2011.

1. miamirocks

miamirocks Lab Technician

Sad that there's so many of us, but it says something that the episode hit home - and I think the reason it did was all b/c of the backstory w/Ryan. As if I wasn't falling in love w/his character enough this season, he has to go and tell that sad story and make me identify w/him even more. ;)

I still saw it as a "team" thing, since there were more than two of them there and they were sharing a moment. However, it was definitely lacking something w/out Eric and/or Cal - it almost makes it feel as if the team is still divided into two factions like last year: Ryan, Nat and Walter on one side, and Eric and Cal on the other, with H all by himself. (Not that Eric and Cal have shared a lot of scenes this year, but it seems like Ryan, Nat and Walter are super close, and those two, since they seemed to box everyone out b/c of their relationship, are left out of the loop lately.) If Eric was there smiling b/c he got him the telescope I would in no way thinking he came off as an a$$ in this episode.

I guess it's all about perception, but when the way Eric acted after the car - the tone in his voice to me sounded like he wasn't interested at all - very flat. Also that line about assuming the guy shot at Ryan, while it was a logical hypothesis, it was the WAY Eric said it that made it so annoying, like, "Oh, I see where this is going, big deal. I'm way ahead of you, and can we just get back to the case?" That was the vibe I got - and that was from the ACTING not the writing, so I can't blame TPTB for that one.

Totally agree w/you about the Speed thing, JagLady. That dynamic worked well w/Speed and Eric b/c Speed knew Eric was a macho, somewhat arrogant young CSI back in the day, and was just trying to bring him back down to earth. Speed and Delko got on so well b/c they were both "suck it up" kind of guys.

Bottom line - Ryan isn't Speed and Eric shouldn't be treating him like that - he should know Ryan by now and throw the man a bone every now and then. (I really liked that scene earlier in the season where Ryan "tripped" over the ledge and almost dropped to his death, but Eric grabbed him. Of course, Eric had to call him an "idiot," and while it may've been an idiotic act, Eric was still putting Ryan down, even when he almost died. It didn't really bother me then, but looking back after this ep., it does a little.)

I remember the "Jake" slip, and I remember thinking how dumb Eric was for doing that (and that maybe subconsciously he wanted to...oh psychology is a finicky thing, isn't it? ;) ). Anyhow, I can see how it might "innocently" come up, and your scenario is one I HOPE happened, but knowing Delko, it was more like Walter and Nat were exchanging bullying stories and Eric walked in and said, "Hey guys, that's nothin' compared to what Wolfe told me!" That, to me, isn't innocent. But we'll never know b/c it was left totally ambiguous. :rolleyes:

Another reason Nat's comments didn't bother me at the end is b/c she was bullied by her husband - physically and emotionally - so I knew she wasn't being malicious. She knows what it's like - and I'm sure Walter does, too. On the other hand Eric has no idea. With Eric I'm never so sure - he's never experienced bullying, doesn't know what it was like, and I would bet a fair amount of money that he played some "practical jokes" (like the kid whose clothes were stolen from the shower) back in his earlier years. Eric seems like the kind of guy who laughs, then feels bad later. He's not ALL bad, but there's definitely a mean streak in him. He's very unforgiving toward Ryan, even when Ryan didn't do a damn thing to him, except help him and befriend him all these years. :rolleyes:

OK, here's some "overanalyzing" for everyone ;) : Maybe deep down Eric's jealous of Ryan for some reason. Remember how he pouted to Horatio in the Season 7 opener, asking why he chose Ryan and not him to help H fake his death? I really hated that scene, b/c instead of H saying the truth, he too kind of put Ryan down to spare Eric the pain of reality (that his bullet to the brain was still affecting him and he couldn't trust him to pull it off). Instead, H said he didn't want to put Eric in danger, and I was like :wtf:, so he doesn't give a #$@# if he puts Ryan in danger?? :confused: I was wondering how Ryan still had not payed his dues on this team???

Look, I'm not trying to commit character assassination here - what I'm saying is that the way Adam Rodriguez played the scene, and the way TPTB chose to end it (ambiguously and w/out him there) really touched a nerve w/me and p$#@d me off. I have an unfortunate habit of harping on something when it touches an emotional chord w/me, and I don't mean to offend Eric/A-Rod fans.

As I've said, I would've preferred it if it was Eric - and Eric alone - that got him that telescope. While I loved the "team" ending, it kind of ruined the moment for me b/c I realized Eric was probably still an a$$, and an even bigger one for telling a personal story like that to the team, and not even expressing any remorse to Ryan for laughing at him. (It didn't come off to me as Eric laughing at a stupid bully - the way it played out in my perspective, Eric was laughing b/c he thought the bully was clever/funny, which is why I didn't like it. And the reason I think that is b/c Eric wasn't like, "oh, sorry, man," after he saw the hurt look on Ryan's face. Way too cold, Delko.)

Alright - rant over. The episode was one of the BEST in the last four years by far, simply b/c it had that nice added touch of a subtle backstory that helped us connect even more w/the case, and w/out the "drama" of a CSI coming close to death (yet again). The story was compelling, the mystery kept me guessing, and the team interaction (for the most part) was priceless. :)

2. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

Just to play devil's advocate here, isn't it possible that the DIRECTOR told him to play that scene that way?

Ooh, that's a good point. I almost forgot about the thing with Nick.

3. hiphugger17

hiphugger17 Coroner

Good episode :). I too was bullied in school so I'm in the bunch that can identify with the students.

I wanted to comment a bit on Eric "bullying" Ryan because I think it's a bit strong of a concept to be appointing him. When someone bullies another it's an act of conscious, malicious, want to do harm, to another person simply for the fun of it. To make the other person look bad, feel bad and humiliate them. I think it's a bit extreme to say that Eric has done that to Ryan. I remember Eric being harsh to Ryan in moments in which Eric thought Ryan had done something that he was not in agreement with. Like Ryan wanting to date Natalia in the beginning and then taking her out, or when he was investigating Speed's case in "Whacked" and Eric was frustrated they were questioning Speed's work, or when Ryan went to H with evidence that Eric had gathered, or when he thought that Ryan was involved in H's "death", or when he thought he had tampered evidence in WISC. I'm not debating whether Eric was justified on being angry in any of these incidents because that's a matter of opinion, what I am debating is that in each of these moments he had his reasons (whether justified or not) to be frustrated or angry and was not slashing out just to hurt, humiliate, and have fun which is what bullies do. He was genuinely angry and not simply wanting to pick on Ryan to have fun.

I don't think Ryan is such a delicate flower that he has to be thrown a bone. Ryan does have his ways to do tricky stuff to people too, just in a more stuble way. I don't think Eric likes Ryan very much and I don't see why he HAS to. I lot of people that like Ryan want everyone else (including the characters) to like him because they see certain qualities in him and can't seem to get why others don't. That's completely fine and understandable but not everyone likes him and I guess that includes Eric. I understand the frustration because I like Eric and there are quite I lot of people here who don't and I have to read the comments and sometimes even agree with some of them. But I still like him :). Anyway what I wanted to comment on was that I thought that using the term "bullying" was too strong to apply here, especially after being bullied myself.

4. Country233

Country233 Police Officer

I hate that CBS ran a new episode up against the Oscars because this one was a very good episode. Creepy and disturbing, but very good. It was different than some of the crime shows I've seen lately.

It caused us to questions who has it coming to them. She was a horrible girl but hopefully real parents wouldn't resort to murder for their kids. I was teased in elementary school and was later home schooled. I totally understand being tormented by the cool people. Honestly, I don't know how people make it through high school. College was frustrating enough with cliches and snotty people.

I enjoyed the banter with Ryan about his past for being teased, but I love Ryan so I enjoy anytime he is on.

All in all that was a very good episode.

5. DragonFriend95

DragonFriend95 Lab Technician

I think that's stereotyping us Ryan fans a bit- yes, I really like him but I can understand why other people don't and don't push them to like him or anything. I think what frustrates most people about the Ryan/Eric debate is that Eric is just generally not nice to Ryan, when he really has no reason to be. It was understandable at first because Ryan replaced Speed but that was years ago, and while they have both been mean to each other Ryan generally isn't that mean back to Eric. Plus, personally speaking, it gets very frustrating to have Eric accuse Ryan of murdering Horatio/ holding back evidence on a whim instead of trying to hear Ryan's side of things.

Sorry for the rant, but this particular subject is rather touchy to me.

Well, those parents really had good reasons for killing her; one of their kids lost their virginity thanks to her and the boy tried to kill himself (I think, I was distracted during that scene) because of her. Besides, I have heard of a few real life cases when the parents have resorted to drastic measures to protect their children. Sad but true :(

6. hiphugger17

hiphugger17 Coroner

That's why I said a lot of people and not all fans.

7. MelxxWhoLuvsYa

MelxxWhoLuvsYa Rookie

No, they're not the same girl, though they do look similer. The girl from TKAP was in Zoey101, her names Alexa Nikolas. I'm not sure of the girl in Stone Coldbut I know they're not the same :thumbsup:

Good episode though, nice interaction from everyone...except Eric. I gotta say, he did come across as an a$$ in the way he treated Ryan. Thinking of that along with his previous mistreatment of Ryan, his distance from the team while dating Calleigh, his bitterment while she dated Jake, his and H's constent stealing of other teams action moments and also the fact that Jesse had to leave so he could come back is really making me dislike him. :shifty: (Though this is a combined problem of the writers and Adam)

I'm liking Ryan lately, his acting, his action and also his screentime has improved greatly - defiantly shown in this episode! Personally I thought Walter and Natalia got him the telescope - not Eric.

And I gotta say him and Natalia are really stealing the show lately (in a good way ;)) From spoilers it seems those two will have more moments in furture epies and I can't wait!!! ;)

8. city hunter

city hunter Rookie

Great episode! The case was interesting and the end was really surprising.
    Ryan's story was my favorite part of this episode, I loved to learn something about his childhood. I also loved his scene with Molly, they were cute together.

9. INACTIVEQuinn Fabray

INACTIVEQuinn Fabray Lab Technician

Great episode! Am I the only one who did not see that twist coming? I thought the kids did it! I never would have guessed it was the parents. That girl really did deserve it though. She was a real bitch. God she was blackmailing everyone. Even the adults were scared of her! I had to admit, I did :lol: a bit when her mother said she was really a nice girl and everyone was "jealous" of her. Yeah sure. What illusion was she under?

I liked the Ryan story quite a bit. I'm glad we are finally looking into that man's childhood/past. He's way overdue for a decent storyline. :) But that's another story/rant.

I quite enjoyed the team scene at the end. It was absolutely adorable that they bought Ryan a telescope and told him that his story was "too good to pass up." :lol: It's team moments like these that I think are crucial for EVERY episode. Not just this one. :) "Wolfey" :lol: I hope Walter calls him that in future episodes because that would be funny. :p

I think I like Molly. Her and Ryan are cute! (Let's just ignore the fact that she's only 20). I think she could be a great addition to the team, and I hope she's not one of those characters who shows up for one episode and then ~poof~ she's gone forever. :p

Overall, I really enjoyed this episode! I'd give it a solid A.

10. Ninja0980

Ninja0980 Police Officer

In this case, I feel they truly were good parents and people who finally snapped. Their children were being tormented and teased by someone who was not being held accountable for her actions by anyone and who was viewed as "cool" despite her cruelty.
    I know to this day my mom still tears up about how I was treated in middle school and early high school. I can only imagine what it's like to see your son feel the only way to escape his hell is to kill himself or see your daughter suffer and branded a slut by the whole school.
    You can't condone murder, but in the same breath,if you go through your life humilating,taunting and tormenting other people like Blair did, sooner or later, one of your victims is going to snap.

On a side note, I realize where I had seen the actress playing Blair before.
    Rather ironic that the victim Lindey Godfrey played in CSI Miami tops the list of my most despised CSI Miami victims whom I felt nothing for while her character on Cold Case ranks as one of my favorites and most heartbreaking.
    It just goes to show her depth and talent as an actress.

11. greatfan

greatfan Captain

I believe she is scheduled for 2 more episodes right now. The actress is quite busy though,she is recurring on a total of 3 shows,including Miami.

12. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

No, you're not the only one. I expected it to be a kid/group of kids as well.

13. greatfan

greatfan Captain

I didn't expect all the parents to be involved,I thought maybe Nate's mother.

14. Hardline Pro

Hardline Pro Lab Technician

Agreed. Why would CBS air a new episode over the Oscars? What in gods name were they thinking. CBS is throwing Miami and NY under the bus this year.

15. Jag Lady

Jag Lady Lab Technician

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHH!

Dave Benton cut his hair!! :(:scream: