9x14 - 'Stoned Cold ***CONTAINS SPOILERS***

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by FieldMouse, Feb 26, 2011.

1. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

The Oscars ended at 8:30, and Miami started at 10:00, I don't think that had anything to do with the ratings:confused:

2. luf100

luf100 Coroner

Huh? The Oscars started at 8:30 and ended at like 11:30 EST. Maybe you're thinking of the Red Carpet coverage?

I'm confused.

3. redanemone

redanemone Rookie

This episode was absolutely fantastic!! Ryan was priceless, but then again he always is. The victims were sympathetic, the dad girl not so much. Bully's do far more damage then they'll ever realize so I don't fault the parents too much for snapping. An A+ from me!

The Oscars were still going on my end, and there was a basketball game between the Knicks and the Heat, which was a pretty big game for us in Miami. Too bad, this episode was so good.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2011
  4. Country233

Country233 Police Officer

That is sad ratings. But it was such a good one. I taped it and watched the Oscars but this morning I watched CSI Miami and enjoyed it. Different take on teen enemies.

5. greatfan

greatfan Captain

It depended on the time zone.It ended after 11:30 PM EST and 10:30 CST.It had a great deal to do with the ratings.

6. miamirocks

miamirocks Lab Technician

The difference between Delko's reaction/actions and Nat and Walter's is that Delko has bullied Ryan in the past, and seemed completely callous about Ryan's story - he was sooo disinterested when Ryan was sharing a piece of himself w/his friend. It's not overanalyzing to comment on a character's personality and coldness, which was pretty evident in that scene. Eric's flippant comment of "What'd he do, shoot at you?" after Ryan told him the guy shot pigeons w/a bb gun was an indicator that he couldn't care less what Ryan was saying. He was totally like, "Seriously, get over it, Ryan, don't be a crybaby." The only redeeming moment in that first scene was the somewhat shocked look on Eric's face when Ryan said he broke his collar bone.

So why did I find Walter and Nat's reactions "acceptable" - b/c they are actually Ryan's FRIENDS and don't have a history of bullying Ryan. Just look at that whole scene - you could tell they both empathized w/Ryan and weren't laughing AT him. It was more like in their laughing they were like, "Yea, what a jerk that guy was, and you turned out great anyway, Ryan." Even when Nat called the story "too good to pass up," her tone and friendliness was completely different from Delko's and you could tell it was more that she was thinking the bully was a real jerk - she even said it. They felt bad, and while I think their teasing is different b/c they don't distrust/beat up on Ryan. Delko does. All the freakin' time. (At least until this year.)

Also, it really seemed to me in that scene that Walter and Natalia - Ryan's TRUE friends - bought him the telescope. They felt bad and wanted to let him know they supported him, unlike Delko, who never even apologized or offered a word like, "Sorry to hear that, man." Like I said previously, if Delko bought it or helped buy it I wouldn't have that much of a problem w/his reactions earlier, or even his blabbing it (and embarrassing Ryan, which I'm sure he jumped).

Delynn:
    Totally agree, Delynn. Let's ask the question: What kind of man has Eric Delko become? Some say he's matured since his bullet in the head, and in some ways, I'd say yes. However, overall, he still seems pouty, moody and incapable of connecting w/anyone on the team. Even his relationship w/H seems very business-like, not warm at all. Is that overanalyzing? Maybe some would say so, but I think it's OK to look at a character's actions see where it's taking the show and the other characters.

As for the story itself, I also agree w/Delynn who said:
    At the end I felt the "warm fuzzies" when Ryan got the telescope, but it was b/c of Ryan and Walter, not Delko. Again, I suppose it's possible Eric helped buy it or bought it for him, but the more plausible thing is for Nat or Walter to come up w/the idea (b/c they empathize w/and actually LIKE Ryan). I really wanted to like Delko in that moment, but it became apparent that it was more Nat and Walter that stood by Ryan.

Delynn:
    Yea, Horatio and Nat do work well together, but I think that's b/c Nat works well w/everyone, like you said. There's definitely a tension when H and CAl are in a scene - b/c there's no energy, no familiarity anymore, no father/daughter dynamic. However, I will say that the scene w/H, Eric and Cal in "Fallen" was good - I believed H might actually be concerned about his CSI, so I don't totally hate their interaction.

As for Cal - it seems she's "missed" a lot of eps. - not technically, but c'mon, she may as well not even been there last night. I totally understand b/c Emily's pregnant, but they really just should've written it into the show (not the pregnancy, but getting Cal out of the lab for a bit, that way Emily could recover and the viewers wouldn't be like :wtf: w/all these 48sec. appearances by Cal.)

As for the Oscars, it is a real bummer CBS put this great episode up against this highly popular award show - what could they have expected by doing this?? I just don't get it, it's like they're trying to kill the show. No one could beat out the Oscars (except maybe the Superbowl - surprised they didn't air a new show then too. :shifty: )

7. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

I didn't see it that way. When Ryan first started talking about it, Eric turned around and looked at him. He actually stopped walking and looked at him like he was interested in hearing the story. I didn't see anything wrong with him asking if the bully shot at Ryan... because that's where Eric thought it was going since Ryan mentioned the bully shooting at birds. It was a reasonable conclusion to come to under the circumstances. And while it may not have been the best thing to laugh at the bully's comment, I didn't see it as him being intentionally inconsiderate. I just saw it as him thinking what a stupid thing for someone to say. I mean don't we all laugh at something stupid that is said from time to time?

I don't know how I feel about Eric telling the others Ryan's story... unless he was just telling them as in saying "he had it rough and its too bad that his telescope broke. what you do you think about all of us putting some money together and getting him a new one?" But if he told it just to tell it, then I dunno. I don't think he really meant any harm. Sometimes people just don't think about how something will affect another.

Remember when Eric accidentally let it slip about Calleigh and Jake? Perhaps it happened like that this time as well. Like he and the other two were talking and asking if each other had ever been bullied. Maybe one of the other two had a story about how they or someone they knew were bullied and Eric just goes "Well, it could be worse and the bully could have caused you to break something you spent your whole allowance on like one did to Wolfe when he was younger". And then he probably realized what he just said and was probably thinking "oops, didn't mean to say that" like he did the instant he realized that Rick was referring to he and Natalia's seemingly closeness rather than Jake and Cal's relationship.

And Ryan seemed a little irritated that Eric told the others, but he didn't seem too upset about it. I mean, he did get a new telescope out of it, so he can't be too upset, right? :lol:

8. jean10brook

jean10brook Hit and Run

I too was bullied in school and so I really appreciated this episode. I was surprised the parents did it in the end and even though Blair was dispicable, murdering her was not the answer. Her parents did a lousy job raising her Mother had a very inflated ego about how perfect their daughter was. Also, the school definitely should have done more.

I would have preferred much more Calleigh and loved the exchanges between Eric and Ryan. For me, I have always enjoyed the Eric/Ryan relationship part of the show and as Ryan said, he knows when it comes right down to it, Eric has his back. It was nice to get more background on Ryan and it's obvious (to me) that Eric cares for Ryan and initiated the purchase of the Telescope for him. I too felt Natalia was the insensative one, however, TPTB wrote Ryan's character to be the scapegoat and take the brunt of the departments jokes and horseplay, so I don't blame that on any of the characters, I blame that on TPTB. I guess I see Eric and Ryan like the DiNosso and McGee of CSI Miami.

I was surprised that Eric was not present in the Locker Room at the end, which would have made a better team moment for me, as I didn't really view it as a team moment, since half the team was missing. I was kind of expecting Eric and Calleigh both to walk into the Locker Room, but for whatever reason, TPTB did not write it that way. Only TPTB knows why they do what they do.

Due to the Oscars, perhaps if they have to show a rerun in the future, they could show this episode, so more people would get a chance to see it. From the people that did watch it, most everyone liked it. For me, it was one of the best ones of the season.

9. greatfan

greatfan Captain

It was one of the best for me too.

10. rissarose

rissarose Rookie

This was a thoroughly enjoyable episode, probably one of my all-time favorites. (And not because my Mom used to act with the man who played the new girl's father... though seeing Chris McGarry was certainly a plus!) The storyline was interesting and very relevant to what's going on in today's world, and it also had an interesting twist with the parents being the ones who killed the bully.

The team interaction was AWESOME; I loved the playfulness between Ryan, Walter, and Natalia. Other than one scene of Calleigh (I wouldn't have minded another one or two scenes of her, but understand that she wasn't in any kind of condition to have a longer workday), the writers/crew did a great job of giving everyone equal screen time.

I'm also happy that they threw us a few more tidbits about Ryan - alphabetizing his cereals (a nod to his OCD, which I was sure TPTB had forgotten about), having been bullied himself when he was younger, having an interest in stargazing...

BRAVO to Eva, who I'm so happy is finally getting the screen time she deserves! (It only took, what, four seasons?!) She is such a talented force on the show and brings such an incredible warmth to the team in Natalia. (And can I say a big "YOU GO GIRL!" to Natalia, on being able to extract plant DNA? Even Ryan, a fellow CSI, seemed impressed!)

Giving this episode an A+ and adding it to my list of favorite Miami episodes... ever. :D

11. Jag Lady

Jag Lady Lab Technician

I liked it as well. Yep, me too. The bullying thing is personal to me. Yes, it does leave scars, especially when it happens over and over again. To be honest, I don't see the DA taking their cases. Something tells me no jury in Miami will convict them (hopefully).

I never thought of that. I used to like Delko, but now despise him. I could go on and on about that, but you know the deal.

I think in the effort to make the team what they were in the early years, they're writing Delko to act the way he did with Speed. That worked very well with Speed, except Ryan's not Speed, and it makes Delko come off like an absolute jerk.

I too liked the last scene with Ryan's new telescope. Not happy that Delko apparently blabbed it all over the lab, but then Walter and Natalia (I think) went and got him a new one. Other than Delko's blabbing, I don't see where he had anything to do with it.

Really sad, too. I miss the old DuCaine.

I too appreciate the equal screen time. Nice that Natalia's more in the front. We saw more of Ryan too. That last line "He's a congressman" seemed to get Walter's and Natalia's attention.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but there had to be something much more wrong with Blair besides her upbringing. Even the bitchiest girl I knew (and I knew plenty) would treat adults with at least some respect. I'd go so far as to say she's a sociopath. I also wonder where she gets the idea that nobody would be her friend once she's done. One thing someone like that forgets; there are a lot more "normal" kids than the followers.

It's also sad that she can "bully" the administration, but it just seems like the schools do nothing. They say they're afraid of smears, lawsuits, etc, but it takes just one pi$$ed off Mama Bear, and those people find God very quickly.

So sad for Megan. She'd give up her virginity to please someone like that. That's going to haunt her for a long, long time.

To all those kids in high school who are going through a living hell: By their junior or senior year, girls like that end up pregnant, dropping out, in jail, or even dead. Either way they end up destroying their own lives with their behavior. Life has this funny way of sorting things out.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2011
  12. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

I'm here on the west coast and here in California the OSCARS began at 5:30 pm and ended at 8:30 pm, the Red Carpet started at 3:00 pm on the E! channel [Ryan Seacrest] and also on ABC, w/ Robin Roberts. We started drinking champagne about 4:00. Some left, about 9:00, then I cleaned up, and sat down at 10:00 to watch CSI:thumbsup:

13. vegaslights

vegaslights Brute

The Oscars were aired live coast-to-coast, so while many of us on the west coast got to see the show from 5:30-8:30 (err, later), the east coast saw it from 8:30-11:30pm.

14. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

I forgot all about Nat and the plant DNA. That was pretty cool. :)

By the way, does anyone know who played the mother of the curly headed boy (whose clothes Blair took from the locker room)? She looks so familiar to me, but I can't recall why.

Yeah, I agree. She definitely had something else going on. Her behavior went far beyond your average "mean girl".

I agree, it will definitely haunt her for the rest of her life.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2011
  15. CSI-AJ

CSI-AJ Lab Technician

Not bad for an episode
    -Didn't really catch Horatio looking hypocritical but I see what you guys mean and yeah it smells.
    -I personally thought Delko came off as an @$$ when Ryan told the story and Wolfe kind of looked annoyed but all was forgiven with his gesture in the end with the telescope.
    -In regards to the victim, to quote Harvey Dent from Batman: The Long Halloween: Two rocks to the head, if you ask me, it couldn't have happened to a nicer person !!!

-Is it me or the girl who was victimised appeared in a previous episode? I'm thinking she was the girl in the final scene of "To Kill a Predator" whose house Horatio confronted and beat up that guy. Anyone want to confirm or deny?