9x14 - 'Stoned Cold ***CONTAINS SPOILERS***

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by FieldMouse, Feb 26, 2011.

1. Ninja0980

Ninja0980 Police Officer

Took a while to collect my thoughts on this, but I wanted to add my own two cents in more detail than my post above.
    This episode hit home for me in so many ways. It brought back painful memories of the past like no other episode has.
    I was a victim of a bully like Blair, and believe me, it sucks. It sucks a lot to be teased and humilated while the school can't or won't do anything about it.
    It sucks even more when the "jokes" are viewed as funny by everyone else. And that the bully is viewed as the "cool" person while you get blamed for whatever cruel things they do to you.
    The sticks and stones phrase is one of the worst invented. Words DO hurts and like physical scars, the memories never go away. People that say otherwise clearly have never been humilated and teased the way the victims in tonight's story were,nor gone through the hell real life victims of bullying have.
    Years later, Ryan could still recall what happened to him with his telescope. Same with real victims of bullying. No matter how hard you try, the memories will still be there.
    I truly understood how Blair's victims felt about her death. WHen one of my main tormenters was badly injured in a car wreck, I didn't have an ounce of sympathy for him. You reap what you sow sometimes.
    Having said all that...you can't let the parents off the hook.
    They took a life and did it in brutal fashion. There is no exception in the rules that allows you to murder, even when they're scum.
    I just hope a plea bargin is offered. They deserve to spend time in prison, but not the rest of their lives.
    I will also say it disguisted me to see H's hypocrisy towards the parents. It's okay for him to beat or torture suspects,take the law into his own hand's regarding his sister's murder, yet when parents whose children have been tormented to the point where one of them tries killing himself and they snap,they're bad guys?
    As for the telescope at the end... I'm glad Delko thought Ryan's story was too "funny" to pass up. I hope he keeps that in mind the next time someone uses a racial joke on him. All in good fun,right Delko?
    IMO, this is one of the best and most hard hitting episodes CSI Miami has shown in a good long while.

P.S. sorry for the long post, but this case hit home to me. The bully victims brought back memories..I'll tell ya that.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2011
  2. Theresa

Theresa Lab Technician

Ryan's story is what made this episode so good! The writers are finally getting it! It just made me love Ryan all the more to know he has to deal with OCD and memories of being bullied as a kid. His awkwardness around the cute girl and when the team bought him the telescope was so cute. Last week Ryan was the tough cop; this week he was the adorable dork. I just love him!

3. baybeehannah

baybeehannah Witness

Ok, I watched the episode this morning when I woke up (good way 2 start the morning btw). First of all - When Ryan explained 2 Eric that he broke his collarbone, Eric didn't laugh or anything, he looked up in shock and then when Ryan said "You know what he said to me? Wolfey, you seeing stars now?", THAT'S when he chuckled, because you use a telescope to look up at the stars don't you? So if you get hurt or something, you would see stars (not LITERALLY, but like in a cartoon). It's a little hard 2 explain. But THAT was the bit that he was laughing at, not the bit where Ryan said he broke his collarbone or the fact that he got bullied. I felt sorry for him, I know what it's like being bullied, I never use 2 get bullied until I reached high school, but up2 the end of year 9 through to ma last year which I am in now (year 11), it suddenly stopped. But that must of hurt Ryan alot (not just the broken collarbone, obviously), he spent all of his allowance on the telescope and then it gets broken :(

Anyway.

I loved Ryan and Molly's interaction. Such a cute scene. The funny part was when Ryan explained that he organises his cereal alphabetically and asked "That's weird right?" and she said "maybe, just a little" and then he says "yeah a little weird" :lol: It's rare for me 2 laugh at an episode, I only started laughing at them this season 4 some reason???

Also the ending, did you see Walter's face after Ryan said the boy who bullied him is a congressman?! At first he smiling and then it drops when Ryan says he's a congressman, he's like "haha....oh..." :lol:

4. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

I have to admit, the comment Ryan said his bully said to him kind of made me chuckle... not because it was funny, but because it never ceases to amaze me the corny things bullies come up with. Some of the things they say are as corny as some of the corniest pick up lines lol. I don't think Eric was trying to be insensitive by laughing. I think he probably thought "geez thats such a dumb thing to say its almost funny".

And I too was a victim of bullying. When the boy was talking about being in the locker room and having his clothes taken, I can kind of relate. I mean, I never took a shower at school (I knew better lol), but when I was changing one time in junior high from my gym clothes to my regular ones, I had my shoes sitting beside me on the bench and someone grabbed them and hid them before I could stop them. Luckily the gym teacher was close by and when she realized what was going on, she made them give me my shoes back and then made the bullies run laps.

The fact that the guy who bullied Ryan is now a congressman is kind of ironically funny. Now the guy is bullying people politically most likely lol.

5. Adamsgirl

Adamsgirl Dead on Arrival

So Walter giggling like a schoolboy and Natalia laughing plus saying "It was far too good a story not to share" is acceptable? But what Eric did is not acceptable and he's once again the bad guy? If I were to over analyze, I'd say Natalia referring to it as a "far too good a story" and laughing was completely unacceptable considering she worked quite closely on the case which involved bullying. Maybe we analyze episodes far too much.

6. GregNickRyanFan

I don't think there was anything wrong with Eric laughing at the stupidity of the bully's comment. That's what I think he was doing. I think Natalia probably just thought it was adorable that Ryan spent all of his allowance on a telescope. Walter was probably thinking both ways. He did call the bully a loser or something didn't he? I can't remember for sure, but I think he said something like "what happened to that loser anyway?"

7. DragonFriend95

DragonFriend95 Lab Technician

Actually it was Natalia, so I think they both thoughts of it both ways :)

I enjoyed this episode much more than I thought it would. As someone who's been bullied and gotten through it with no hassle I find it hard to relate to kids who are more sensitive to it, but I think the actors did a really good job with the bullied kids.

I think it's good to see a victim who's a total a**hole from time to time, gives the show good variety, but that Blair really was a supreme b**ch. Hell, even I would have gladly stoned her at the end when she was taunting the parents while tied to the post.

I loved seeing Dave again (and I like his new haircut, even though I prefer his old one :lol:) and I enjoyed what little we saw of Molly's character; I liked her awkwardness and she looks older than I would have thought.

Ryan's story definitely made this episode one of my favourites. It really is nice to learn a little about him after all this time, even though it sucks that he did get bullied and his telescope stolen :( The last scene is probably one my favourite this season; it's great to see little character moments that showcase the strong friendship between Ryan and the others (especially after all the time he's been treated as a scapegoat :shifty:)

As for Eric, I think he was a little insensitive. I think he was laughing about the bully's cheesy line, but I thought Ryan looked a little hurt so he may have taken it the wrong way. I think Eric could have handled that a little better.

8. Delynn

Delynn CSI Level One

They really didn't give her ANY redeeming qualities, did they? No sympathy here. It looked like she had even the adults scared to death of her. Too bad one of them didn't have the guts and brains to get control of Blair. Bullies should NEVER be allowed to win.

OTOH, totally lost the possible teaching moment there. Hardly the way I would teach my children to deal with this type of problem. Violence is NEVER the answer.

I enjoyed Ryan and Molly's interaction. I liked Molly. To me it appeared that she truly wants to make a good impression and do a good job. Maybe Ryan identifies with her being nervous. If anyone would remember what it was like to be the new kid, I'd bet it would be Ryan (or Natalia). It was nice that he tried to put her at ease. Ryan is a nice guy! :)

It was a nice scene. But I'm giving all the credit to Ryan's story and how Jon delivered it. Too much damage has been done for me with Delko and Ryan. Delko being nice to Ryan is always insincere, imo. I don't get a warm,fuzzy feeling when I see these two share a scene. I'm always waiting for Delko to deliver an insult to go off and start yelling at Ryan ... for whatever reason. And he didn't disappoint last night.

You're not alone. I also found Ryan's story very sad and Delko's smirk didn't impress me at all. It was exactly how I would expect him to respond to Ryan telling him something that was a sad, humiliating memory. I didn't find any part of Ryan's story to be funny.

Ryan has always been compassionate and forgiving. I don't know that telling Delko he was bullied indicated he cares a great deal for Delko, but I think it indicated a certain level of trust.

I don't think you're being hard on him at all. Much of what Delko did with Ryan's story is speculation on our part, but it's educated speculation from years of watching Delko treat Ryan badly. It's also no secret that I have absolutely no respect for Delko. I won't repeat the reason's why again.

I know you miss her, miamirocks! I know others do as well. I just haven't. Not for a second. I just don't think she adds anything positive to the show anymore.

And I love Horatio and Natalia's interaction. I've always felt those two characters/actors have a great working chemistry. Any chemistry that Horatio/Calleigh had is long dead. Regardless of who or what was the driving force behind it, the multiple years of no Horatio/Calleigh interaction destroyed any chemistry they had. Watching scenes with them now it like watching paint dry. Worse it is sometimes painful watching them try to find something to work with in a scene. There is nothing there worth watching with those two any longer.

And as much as I just ranted about Delko, I am able to actually tolerate his presence in Calleigh's absence. He appears to be doing his job and not spending all his time looking like a lovesick, whippped puppy. Maybe that's why I don't miss her.

Couldn't have said it better! Eva is amazing and a true joy to watch. It's too bad it's taken so long for her to be seen. There isn't one member of the team that she doesn't work well with and her compassion and warmth with victims is exactly what a lead should be.

She is totally genuine with no effort at all. I never feel that she has to force being caring or compassionate. It's just natural for her because it's part of who she is.

Yep. That was the pot calling the kettle black. Where they've taken Horatio in the past couple of seasons has really negated any impact Horatio's moralizing could have. He simply doesn't have the right to make those types of statements at this time.

I thought this episode was another step in the right direction. The team working together and lots of Natalia and Ryan. Still need more Frank to make me truly happy. ;)

Last edited: Feb 28, 2011
  9. baybeehannah

baybeehannah Witness

I am SEARIOUSLY getting to use to only seeing Calleigh in only one scene. Even for only 46 seconds (which is the EXACT amount of time she was in the episode for). I hope this changes soon cuz I'm starting to forget she's even their. It's like she's just dissapearing from the series bit by bit, scene by scene, minute by minute, SECOND BY SECOND!!! :scream::(

10. GregNickRyanFan

I'm sure Calleigh will be present more when the first of the episodes that were filmed after she returned from maternity leave airs. I'm not sure when that'll be, but I think there's a couple more episodes before then. Supposedly she's only going to be absent for one, possibly two episodes. When AJ Cook was pregnant, she was written out of the Criminal Minds storylines for at least a month (of course her character was pregnant as well) and we got a temporary replacement character... which was played by the same actress who played Warrick's wife on CSI Vegas and appeared in one Miami ep as Tom's temporary fill in.

11. Colonel Worf

Colonel Worf Pathologist

Series low viewers, barely pulling in 8 million viewers. That's pretty abysmal. Don't know what CBS was thinking...

12. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

This was a different twist, the parents stoned the bully/witch to death. Who knew, I was thinking it was the kids, She was a real piece of work wasn't she. So mean to everyone. Nice to see Natalia alot, but Calleigh only once:confused:Boy is Eric handsome:p I liked this because it was a "who done it":bolian:

13. Ninja0980

Ninja0980 Police Officer

OTOH, totally lost the possible teaching moment there. Hardly the way I would teach my children to deal with this type of problem. Violence is NEVER the answer.

No it isn't, but by the time they got her on the goal post,I think rational thinking had gone out the window. They had watched their children suffer day after day while the person who did it was allowed to get away with it.
    I remember seeing a real life case on the news where a father screamed and threatned a group of kids that had been bullying his daughter. Was it right?
    No, but speaking from experience,a parent having to watch their child be humilated and teased is the most painful thing they have to endure. Not surprised they finally snapped.

14. Colonel Worf

Colonel Worf Pathologist

I probably would have done the exact same thing. There's right and wrong... and then there's getting caught in a mob mentality against pure evil.

15. luf100

luf100 Coroner

That sucks. It's because of the Oscars and CBS probably had this episode new just because they had such a long break during January and February. What was it like, five weeks or something without a new episode? I dunno I'm glad it was new yesterday but I do agree that it was stupid for CBS to play a new episode on Oscar night. I could have lived with one more rerun if it meant more viewers. Too bad because this episode was actually good.