"Cold Blooded" Discussion - *SPOILERS*

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by Smokey, Oct 24, 2010.

1. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

I thought it was an interesting episode. I think the B case with Nick would have been just fine with him alone. He's done great on his own with solo cases, so I'm not sure why Greg worked with him. He's done these kinds of cases on his own. Greg would have been better off with Ray and Hodges on the dinosaur case.

I loved Hodges with the dinosaurs, he was adorable!!! Especially when he was taking his picture with one. He was like a kid in a candy shop. I still think this guy had paleontology dreams at one point. LOL!

The scene with George at the end was good. He did an awesome job.

I liked Frankie. I thought she was funny! I think she'll add something quite humourous to the show.

2. Joycie84

Joycie84 CSI Level One

I liked the episode. Both cases were interesting. I liked Nick and Greg working together and I was surprised by Detective Reed. She's cool and kinda kick ass! CSI needed a female detective like her.

Hodges was funny. The scene in the morgue with him, Ray and Doc Robbins was great. And that scene where Ray's on the phone with Henry and he tells Ray that Hodges called in sick. When he actually tries to take a picture of him and one of the dinosaurs.

I tought that girl Jane, was kinda creepy.

The last scene was beautiful. Perfect, with the music and the emotion. Just perfect.

I really enjoyed this episode.

3. frickangel

frickangel Prime Suspect

As capable as Nick is in handling cases such this and even though has has done it before, doesn't mean it has to repeated. Besides, it's not the Nick Stokes show, and Greg and Nick have a wonderful camaraderie thanks to the real life friendship Eric and George have. Each of the characters bring a different element to the case and I think the viewers are glad for that. =)

4. Gremine

Gremine Rookie

I guess i am the only one who isn't impressed by the emotional final scene. :alienblush: It is about the music i guess. The music just didn't make me muse.:wtf:
    I know George is very good at emotional scenes.This time Nick was seeming so serious, tired, frowning... This is Nick's new mood ,which is understandable after all those things happened to him during years... Maybe we will see some resolution for Nick in the next episodes.

Greg,Nick and Reed working together was cool! Good to see Katee Sackhoff again. I also enjoyed her scene with Cath. When Reed put the box on the desk like daaaang!, Cath's face was funny.
    While Nick and Brass were talking about the case all i thougt was 'they have the same hair style!'
    The other case was funny.So if i say Hodges is replacing Wendy with dinosaurs? That's very romantic!:guffaw:

Wait... Maybe that's my problem. I can't focus two cases with different mood at the same episode. The case with Ray was funny, the case with Nick was the opposite. That's how life works actually. Funny and sad things at the same moment. If i look at the episode with that POV yeah the episode is ok.

5. DragonFriend95

DragonFriend95 Lab Technician

I loved the opening bit. I mean I could completely tell the dinosaur was fake but it still made me nostalgic for Jurassic Park :lol: And then there was SuperDave, and Mitchell!

I'm still not enjoying Hodges being out of the lab; the whole calling in sick thing felt contrived to me, and I can't enjoy him working outside when he said he much preferred the lab.

Ballistics lab, but no ballistics tech :(

I don't understand what Henry meant when he said about calling him for help since Hodges was 'sick'; does that mean that he can work in Trace now? I thought it was already enough of a stretch to have Hodges able to work in Trace, DNA and Audio/Visual :confused:

Seriously, what are the day shift doing? The CSI's seem to spend just as much, if not more, time working in the morning than they do night!

I'm still waiting for the day when we can go a WHOLE episode without there being murder! I probably would've enjoyed the ending to the dinosaur case if they hadn't dropped the massive hint that she had deliberately killed him. Why can't we have an actual suicide, or actual accident, or even no deaths at all? Ugh...

I actually liked Detective Reed (she's a recurring character; of course I'd like her :lol:), I just wish tptb would stop with the whole 'all woman are tough and sassy' attitude. We can have more than one personality!

The ending...I could not take seriously. When Nick pulled off his glasses all I could think of was Horatio, and the girls body reminded me of something out of the horror game I was playing last night :lol: Even then I'm not a sucker for emotional scenes so it didn't really tug at my heartstrings.

Overall I thought it was better than House of Hoarders, but still a pretty boring episode. So far this is shaping up to be one of my least favourite seasons.

6. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

With all due respect, please don't assume that all viewers are 'glad for that'. You can't assume everyone is going to like that same thing. I don't enjoy the camaraderie between Nick and Greg and I have every right to feel that way.

With Greg working with Nick and Greg's constant verbal barrage of "vegas" trivia in my mind, having him work such an emotional case took away from the intensity of it. Nick has proven in the past to work these cases alone and it makes for a more intense show.

So while I'm sure a lot of Greg fans enjoy them working together LOVE this episode. I'd rather this had been a Nick solo case and I have a right to feel this way thank you very much.

One has to look at episodes such as Turn, Turn, Turn to know that. George is an awesome actor and I prefer to have these episodes as Nick solos.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

7. DJRideout

DJRideout Following the trace Moderator

Well again I thought the episode was great. And after reading the little review (on the side >), it was a nice mix of dark and light. I will agree that the A case wasn't as strong as the b case, but it was indeed a nice counter to one another.

Personally, I enjoyed Nick and Greg working together. No different then Nick working with Ray, or Greg working with Sara etc., they work well together. Okay, yeah, Nick could have worked it alone....so could have Greg or anyone else, but judging by the evenly distributed screentime amongst characters thus far in the season, then they had to be paired up. Besides, how would the ending sequence work if it had been a solo case? If tptb and the writers wanted the effect that was portrayed, then the level of emotion would not have been quite the same for the viewer with one CSI. You needed the two of them.

As for Hodges? I love the guy! I thought he did great. His apparent love for dinosaurs actually made him play hooky and "go home sick" from work. :lol: The guy always works, so why not? And in a sense he still worked. Sure he kinda got busted for it, but Ray didn't bother with it.

And being out in the field? Well if that was the only opportunity for him to have an up close and behind the scenes experience with the creatures, one he wouldn't have gotten if he had just gone to the show, then I am sure he managed to put his dislike for the field aside. Sometimes you do things you're not so crazy about, to experience the things you love.

8. Dizzney

Dizzney Moderately Insane Moderator

It's funny you say this because I was thinking the same thing. :lol:

I think it is always better when at least two CSI's are working a case together. I do not care for solo cases overall.

I don't recall Greg mentioning any "Vegas" history in this case. And Greg can show emotion too, he just is more subdued, not all teary eyed like Nick always is. People have different ways of dealing with emotions. Not everyone will react the same way. One reason I've always thought Greg was a bit like Grissom, because he doesn't get overly emotional about cases but that doesn't mean he still can't be somber and he doesn't care.

That is one thing that has bothered me. They do seem to be working more and more during the day shift than the Graveyard shift.

9. frickangel

frickangel Prime Suspect

Well, my apologies if my post was interpreted such as that. =) What I meant that with "viewers are glad for that" bit, was meant as character involvement as a whole. Like Sara with Nick, Ray and Catherine or whatever mix there might be and not just a Nick and Greg duo. Like Demonic DJ has pointed out, it was good to have two CSIs on the case as it helped to deliver a more impactful ending sequence.

And yes, you're right, you're allowed to feel that way as I am to have my views as well. :)

10. waiting4summer

waiting4summer Police Officer

For the most part I prefer a two case episode, with a duo working each case. I find it even more important now, since there are less lab techs for the CSIs to banter with about the details. Not only does it give the cast more equal screen time, but it allows opportunity for the give and take of information AND those memorable one-liners that we all talk about the next day. :lol:

Also, anything that gets my two favorite guys together for the majority of the episode is all good with me! :p

11. byline

byline CSI Level One

Several folks are commenting on the "button-down shirt tucked into hip-hugger slacks" wardrobe choice for Katee Sackhoff's character. While I agree that it's not flattering, I see it used all the time on various TV shows as a sort of "uniform" for female law-enforcement characters. I watch "The Mentalist" off and on, and that seems to be the lead female character's wardrobe in every episode: jacket, button-down shirt and hip-hugger slacks.

Oh, and I watched "Blue Bloods" last night; same thing for Jennifer Esposito's character. Dunno if this conforms to some actual dress code for female detectives or not.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2010
  12. erep

erep Witness

She does indeed sport the typical uniform for a female police officer. While I could agree it isn't the most flattering look, what I liked about it is that that IS how MOST women look in those pants. In other words, they are designed for the 2% of the female population that do not have thighs and/or shorter legs. Kudos to CBS for going with a female lead that looks a little bit more like the rest of us. :thumbsup: And more importantly: she did a good job in the role!

13. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

I'm kind of torn on the pairings in this week's episode. I love Nick and Greg working together because they're my two favorite characters. However, I would have liked to have seen Greg's reaction to the whole dino thing (he does/did have a toy dino on his desk afterall, so he's most likely a dino fan lol- but the writers have probably forgotten that lol). As much as I love Nick and Greg working together, I want to see Greg and Ray work some cases together too.

14. Smokey

Smokey Nickaholic Moderator

To me it was just kind of weird to have the pairings be Greg and Nick...and Ray and Hodges. That's three CSIs and a lab tech. They are going to have to figure out something if Sara and Cath aren't going to be in all of the episodes. Even tho Cath was in this one a little bit...if one is missing then I think the other should be there. Or, they need to be bringing in a new female CSI.

I watched it again today, and boy...the ending was really poignant, I thought.

15. PraetorCorvinus

PraetorCorvinus Moderator Moderator

Just watched it. I liked it... mostly.

The 'A' case was kinda bleh for me. While I was curious about how the hell the kid got munched, I think the way it happened was forced. Not so much the fall but the implication that the girlfriend did it. That came out of left field for me. It would have been way more awesome if the dino actually grabbed him in his jaws and swung him around Jurassic Park style (explaining the death by brain wobbling). :lol:

The 'B' case was what really got me into it. Cases involving dead kids and their grieving parents always make me misty. I will admit to a certain amount of eye-dampness caused from the ending.

I'm intrigued by Detective Reed. She's feisty. I like that. :devil:

As for the complaints about the pairings in this ep, does it really matter? Yeah, Hodges was in the field. So? In this case, he obviously wanted to be there, thus explaining away his usual hesitance about venturing out of the lab. And Ray was pretty good regarding the investigation. I may not have cared for the case, but that pair worked for me.

Nick and Greg were also great. I don't see why Nick has to work emotional cases alone. I thought he did well opposite Greg. Nick was emotional and Greg was somber - that works for me.

To sum up: that 'B' case was what made the episode, all the pairings were fine, and here's hoping that we see more of Reed. :)