Grade 'The 34th Floor'

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Sep 24, 2010.

?

How would you grade The 34th Floor?

1. A+

18 vote(s)
    26.1%
  2. A

12 vote(s)
    17.4%
  3. A-

8 vote(s)
    11.6%
  4. B+

12 vote(s)
    17.4%
  5. B

7 vote(s)
    10.1%
  6. B-

4 vote(s)
    5.8%
  7. C+

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  8. C

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  9. C-

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

5 vote(s)
    7.2%
  1. BauerAlmeida

BauerAlmeida Rookie

For me, this is the NY I have been waiting for since the beginning of last season. Season 6 was such a disappointment to me that I stopped watching. The characters were all over the place and the writing was so stale that it became boring to watch. I came onto this premiere wondering if NY could make a comeback, and to me, it certainly did!

This premiere started with a bang and kept on going. They didn't miss a beat and they introduced a new character brilliantly. This felt like the NY of old, the NY that I fell in love with. And this premiere felt new and refreshing, like NY had a reboot and was back running again, and I am glad! This is the NY I was wishing for, not the drool-worthy season of last year. And considering the difficult circumstances that NY had to deal with, I think they transitioned quite well and was able to reintroduce and reinvent the characters of the old crew. It's about time they go back to focusing on the characters again.

People can say what they want, but to me, NY is back on track again!!

And to all those who are upset over Stella's departure and how they wrote her out, well personally, I can't feel much sympathy. She chose to leave, she didn't come back to film any episodes, she put the show in a difficult situation where they had to scrap 6 scripts and re-do them (as a writer myself, I know just how hard it is to get write scripts, redoing them completely is a pain in the butt). I say the quick transitioning and right back into the game is a much better introduction. Why should the show wallow on about Stella being gone. She's gone, deal with it, and get it over with. Life goes on.

Oh and really, Don needs a hair change!!!!!!! Why is that hair looking like that!?!??! Did Don Flack go back in time or something? That's like my Dad's hair when he got married over 20 years ago!!

Last edited: Sep 26, 2010
  2. maigrey

maigrey Civilian

I think the only thing I really disliked about the episode (and it was significant enough to throw me off) was how forced some of the jokes seemed to be. I mean CSI NY has definitely it's naturally hilarious elements (e.g. anything with Adam) but trying to have a joke included in every conversation exchange is unrealistic and trying too hard. Perhaps if they were all good jokes, but some of them seemed like there should be a drummer accompanying them with a ba-dum-bum-cha. I feel like if your jokes aren't natural and funny, leave them out.

Also, I dunno how well this psychological LO: Criminal Intent stuff is going to sit in this show. I still remember the very first ep. of CSI LV where Grissom talks about following the evidence cause that's all that matters and not hunches.

Still undecided on this episode - I don't think they mixed comedy + criminal psychology/pathology + forensics + drama (Lindsey) well here but the separate elements still worked okay.

C+

3. CSI Cupcake

CSI Cupcake Police Officer

Danny asked her if the rooftop was her "new spot". She replied: "Did I have an old one" and he answered, "Yes you did, right here" and he put his arms around her.

I took the conversation to mean that when she distanced herself from the whole shooting incident she had inadvertantly distanced herself from Danny as well. I think he knew that she wasn't dealing with it well.

I find it interesting though how well Danny handled this. I'm trying not to read too much into but it appears that Danny has finally come to grips with himself. In the past he has reacted horribly when someone pulls away from him for whatever reason. He seemed to be so strong and solid in this scene and so not needy. I enjoyed it and will be watching to see if they continue the transition or go back to Danny-in-distress.

4. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

Thanks for answering my question. I must have missed your post earlier. Sorry about that. :) I can't remember if Adam has mentioned having siblings or not. Does anyone know?

I agree with this. :)

I wasn't really upset, I just thought it was kind of strange and un-Stella like for her to send a framed quote. I would have thought it better to have Lindsay's phone ring and her to go, "Hey, Stella. How's New Orleans? How do you like being the boss?" And to have Mac or Danny standing there and Lindsay to relay to them what Stella said after she got off the phone with her. The words in the letter were a bit corny too. :lol:

And yes, she did choose to leave, but something tells me that she had a good reason. They already had storylines mapped out and must have told her what they had planned for her character. It must have been something really horrible for her to say un uh no way... cause she's not a diva or primadonna or whatever. So, I'd really like to know what they had planned for her character before she decided to leave the show. Then and only then can I really begin to understand her motivations. She wouldn't have decided so suddenly to up and leave like that without filming a goodbye episode (like Khandi Alexander did on Miami) unless something really bad happened. So, that leaves me curious about what exactly went down. However, I doubt we will ever know what really happened.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2010
  5. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

haha i'm beginning to wonder if i'm secretly adam's mother. i'm not, but y'know, i now share a name with a csi character, albeit an offscreen one who's only been mentioned once....:p

totally agree with all of this! :D

regardless of whether she jumped or was pushed, leaving them that much in the lurch at such short notice (i read an interview with sela that said they initially contacted her about the part 1.5 weeks before shooting started, she saw scripts 3 days prior to shooting, which is just crazy) was down to her - she could've negotiated some way to stay for an exit scene if she had the inclination, she clearly didn't, so why should they pander to that and write anything substantial? they just picked themselves up and got on with it and good for them.

maybe leaving her only in print didn't quite work and that phrase did seem like a decidedly unstella thing to say.... on the other hand, the time jump stated 5 months, so i think we have to assume that the team had done their "oh no stella's leaving, oh no stella's left, we miss stella" thing, off screen, in the months preceding the season start. it was never specified how long ago stella moved to NO, but the letter hinted she'd been there a little while - and if that were the case, why *would* they all go around mentioning her? i mean, if a colleague leaves, they get mentioned in the first week or so, not several months down the line.

exactly :)

i don't think it's about hunches tho - it's been established (i think) by the writers in previews/interviews etc that jo is as much into profiling as she is into forensic evidence - i wouldn't call the stuff that goes on on criminal minds (which is all profiling) "hunch" - it's a genuine field of criminology, ok so it's more about people's personality than what their stomach contents were but that doesn't mean it's not evidence based, it's just a different kind of evidence.

also i can see this being potentially another set up for friction between jo and mac - in a good way, i mean. he's more about the physical evidence whereas she's about the bigger picture and he might have trouble dealing with the profiling aspect as it does, on the surface anyway, seem to run counter to pure forensics. i actually think it doesn't counter forensics but adds to it, and i think mac would probably realise that but it could still cause issues between them i think.

6. Fata Morgana1

Fata Morgana1 Victim

So I watched this ep for the first time earlier today not knowing that Stella had left, :(, only found out part way through when I noticed she wasn't there and decided to IMDB Melina and see which episodes she was in, only to discover she's in none, because she left. I'm disappointed by that, but it was a good episode and I'll continue to watch. Glad it's back. But Flack's hair, I LOVE the guy but not sure if I'm liking the hair all that much. I think I prefer last seasons hair and even S5's hair (which I actually need to re-watch to remind myself). But yeah a good episode. It was interesting to see what else is in that building other than the crime lab. Not that I'm fed up of seeing the lab. But I didn't know that there was anything else in there lol. And It's nice to see Flack happier. I've never been an Angell/Flack shipper. But it was sad when she died.

7. ladyhunter

ladyhunter Head of the Swing Shift

I watched it twice.

I'm not a huge Lindsay fan, I'm finding this whole 'angst' thing of hers very tiring. Perhaps it's just the way she has carried it off. Her 'dark' secret with the shooting of her friends when she was young was not very well done to me. So, I'm having trouble with her and all her new angst regarding the medal she received. And shutting down the lab so everyone could be there get a medal for something that happened in her own home versus in the line of duty is sort of ridiculous. But hey... I've chalked all those things up to 'it's TV'. :lol:

Jo, I really like Sela Ward. I'm am sort of torn how they introduced her. Yea, schmoozing over a dead body is very much CSI Vegas style, so it was refreshing to see her doing that. And Mac, he was so on point with her, and not lost in his own world that it was fun to watch them interact. Just not sure over a young dead woman was the right place.

He also seemed to take to her when he said he bet her a steak dinner that the tissues on the table would break the suspect. Makes you go... HMMM (but that's for a different thread)

Danny and Flack are... are... well awesome doesn't even begin to describe what they are as a working team. But Flack honey, do something about your hair. Fuffy doesn't work for you. ;)
    Danny is much better with Flack, less flat and emotionless than he is with Lindsay.

I have been a M/S shipper for a while so the departure of Stella was a shock. I'm really surprised people weren't asking Mac if he had heard anything from her since it was supposed to be 5 months after all the Shane Casey stuff.

I agree with everyone, the way they wrote her out, the letter to Lindsay of all people was sort of a cop out. The letter should have gone to Mac. He was her boss and her friend which again was a cheap way of writing her out. It could have been handled differently. But again, perhaps Mac got something more personal from Stella and we didn't see it. I'm really hoping her departure would be touched on again.

As for the case, predictable. Young woman, pregnant, married guy... you get it.
    I think they went for something easy and predictable to ease Jo in to the team. That's my thoughts anyway.

I gave it a B

8. Fata Morgana1

Fata Morgana1 Victim

Haha yes his hair does fail a bit, but he still looks HOT IMHO. And I totally agree about Stella and the letter, that should have totally been addressed to Mac and not Lindsay, I'm a Mac/Stella shipper and I would've liked to have had her write a letter to Mac, oh well I guess that's where fanfiction comes in.

9. Country233

Country233 Police Officer

Yes, the humor did see very forced. I guess they thought they were being cute. However, it was one of those moments, like when your professor cracks a joke and the class just stares. Not good. But I think it will get better.

10. Geeno

Geeno Pathologist

For me the humor was not forced. I liked it maybe because I rarely see those on CSI shows. But it worked for me. The boys wanted to be noticed by Jo, who's gorgeous and new to the team. Her scene with Adam was great. Maybe she felt Adam was a little gullible so she played with him a little.

I actually like her introduction than LV did with Ray Langston. In LV, the veteran member's were pushed aside and let Ray and his rookie status be the focus. In NY, Jo has scenes with everyone and all have contributions in solving the case.

I like Jo. I don't see anything wrong with her. I think she really is excited to work in a new environment. Just like when you are new in a workplace. You don't face everybody with a sad face or awkward movements as if you regreted being there. She is just being friendly. I know people who act like Jo the first time we met. :)

11. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

Great premiere, the whole episode was full of twists and turns. They really focused on Lindsay, and it was heartwarming to see her get the "medal of honor" for shooting that scum bag while protecting her family. And I was pleasantly surprised by Sela Ward. She's no Melina, but who is. But, she held her own and was smart, funny and real sure of herself and likeable. That's great for the whole team. So out of these 3 guys it was the one who they least suspected, the roof ending chilling. Gary/Mac so good and all of them. The Danny/Lindsay scene when she was upset. "Your my hero" he always seems to know the right things to say. and her sweet smile. Good episode~

12. La_Guera

La_Guera Lab Technician

I think I could like Jo Danville eventually, but unlike many fans, I did not like her in her first foray into the madcap world of CSI:NY. She wasn't dreadful or incompetent; in fact, I found her strong, confident, and smart. As the new female lead, she was exactly what the show needed as an investigator.

However, the writers were so eager to have us like her that they had the other characters fawn over her and unnecessarily point out her amazing awesomeness. Danny, Mac, and Flack all sing her praises within the first twenty minutes and stress how thorough, cool, funny, and skilled she is, as if they had never seen such a talented, solid, skilled investigator ever before, never mind that they've spent the past seven years(at least)working with Stella, who was tough and smart enough to land a lead investigator job in New Orleans, one of the most corrupt, overworked departments in the country. If we take them at their canonical word most of them have worked with her for ten years or longer. In Mac and Danny's cases, they worked with her for nearly sixteen years(and yes, I know that means Stella would have been busting baddies in Junior high, fitting in her badassery between homework and catechism class).

Yet there they stand, three seasoned investigators, agog at her l33t sciencing skills.

Particularly egregious was Flack's wonderment at her interrogation skills. Of course she's an accomplished interrogator, Flack. She used to work for the government popo. Oh, honey, why do they make you so dumb?

Actually, they turned everyone into finger-chewers in order to further enhance her brilliance. Did she really need to explain to three veteran CSIs that she was testing the veracity of the suspect's story through blood spatter analysis? If you have to dumb down other characters to showcase your new toy's splendor, then perhaps she isn't that splendid.

None of this is the fault of Sela Ward, who attacked the role with guts and zest, but with the atrocious, cack-handed writing. The scene with Lindsay on the roof was ridiculous. "You're a warrior, Lindsay,"? Really? Somebody wrote that and thought it was good? This is modern-day New York, not 11th-century Gaul. She didn't fight in the Crusades or lead a revolution; she shot a dangerous lunatic while an emasculated Danny stood there like a weepy idiot. Even if modern New York was like Thunderdome, with battles to the death with hunks of rusty prybar, she still wouldn't be warrior. That distinction would belong to Mac, Flack, and the other CSIs who have put their lives on the line on a daily basis for years. Lindsay seldom leaves the lab. She is a survivor, not a warrior, and while both are laudable, yes, Virginia, there is a goddamn difference.

And what to make of that terribly embarrassing scene between Jo and Adam? Was that supposed to be funny, oh, so funny? It wasn't. It was creepy and obnoxious and made Jo look like a mean-spirited-self-involved jerk and Adam a bumbling idiot. Oh, boy. Win/win there, right?

And that glurgy plaque. Of course Stella's letter would be solely concerned with the awesomeness of Lindsay MONroe Messer(Jesus, police bigwig, but that pronunciation was awful). Who cares about Mac, or Flack, who was there for her after Frankie, and who saved her from drowning just six months ago? Pshaw. It's all about Lindsay, who was so awesome that Mac shut down the lab just so the rest of the cast could have a front-row seat to the public ass-licking ceremony.

Oh, my God, this show sucks. Why am I still watching it?

Oh, yeah. Because the case was decent and Flack is hot.

C+

13. *NickStone*

*NickStone* Hit and Run

First off, Lindsay was awesome in this, particularly the opening scene, a real powerful performance by Anna. You could really see how terrified Lindsay was for her family, but also how she was trying to hide it. It was also balanced out with anger, especially at the point where Shane Casey taunted them by hugging Lucy, I loved the look of rage on her face when she pulled the trigger. She really did great in that opening scene, I just love it was Lindsay who saved her husband and daughter, such a refreshing change from what you would usually get where it would be the husband coming to the aid of his wife and family in distress. They've had a couple of scenes where Stella has been kick-ass action chick, it was about time Lindsay got a turn. Especially as they've hinted at that side to her character in the past, but then seemed to just forget about it.

She did great in the aftermath too, you could really see just how emotionally drained she had become in the five moths after the shooting, I love the way that they managed to show that the whole ordeal had clearly affected her psychologically without making her into a total basket case. It just seemed a lot more realistic, so really love what the writers and especially, Anna with her performance, did there.

I really enjoyed her scene on the roof, first with Mac and then with Danny, the way that Danny reassured her that she was his hero and she should think about the life she saved, their daughter's, rather than the life that she took. That was definitely exactly what she needed to hear, so really great that he was there for her. They've really become so much more supportive of each other in the last couple of years, it's great to see that development to their relationship..

Lindsay also looks great in this episode, she really is beautiful.. Looked pretty dam Hot in her Dress Uniform. :adore: :drool:

So, Jo.. A fairly decent character who seemed to do well in her first appearance. In some of her scenes she seemed to have echoes of Season 1 Catherine especially in the phone call home scene. I wasn't too sure about her scene with Adam, I think the joke itself was funny, but not too sure it fit right with a first meeting.. Just had to wonder how I would feel if someone I had just met played that prank on me, might be a bit of an uncomfortable situation.. But, hey, it's not big thing. Overall, I think that the character has definitely set her place within the team, she has a totally unique style to Stella and her dynamic with everyone is completely different too. Should be interesting to see her developed further.

Something that was pretty funny about Danny in this première was the total contrast with his situation in the beginning of Season 6, in that season premier he was stuck in a wheelchair, not sure if he'd ever walk again... This year he was leaping off of landings etc to chase down a suspect.. just seemed funny. :lol:

The case itself, was a bit sub-par, especially for a Season opener, for a murder that happened in their own building it seemed a bit boring and anti-climactic.. Just kind of dull. Also, since when has there been an archietect's office in that building? I thought the entire high-rise was the NYPD, sort of like the real Police Plaza... :confused: Seemed a little odd to me.

Overall then a really great episode,for me the focus on my favourite character made it my personal favourite première of the show so far.. Gave it an A+

:cool::bolian:

14. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

I finally got around to watching it this morning... I think this is the first time I haven't been super-psyched for a CSI: NY premiere. :/

I gave it a B--the case, though introduced well, was absurdly beyond predictable. As soon as Jo mentioned the woman had high end shoes that were way out of her price range, I knew that a) she'd been having an affair with an older, wealthy married man and b) that man had killed her. Lo and behold, that's exactly what happened. Most of the time when I guess where a case is going, I think that maybe I've seen too much CSI. :lol: Not in this case; it was predictable to the Nth degree.

I liked Jo, but I think that was in part because I like Sela Ward so much. The character did come on awfully strong, though that scene with Adam cracked me up. It seems like every time a new character is introduced (or a new female character at least), it's immediately crammed down our throats how awesomesauce she is. At least with Jo it was more believable than it was with Lindsay back in season two.

I thought the Lindsay stuff was handled fine for the most part. The medal was OTT, but I think it's mostly because Shane Casey was a serial killer who kept getting away. I imagine if Danny had shot him, he might have gotten a medal, too... though of course, he wouldn't have had any PTSD because we all know only female officers can't handle shooting killers. :rolleyes: Male officers handle it just fine. :rolleyes: Sometimes this show is so ragingly sexist it's laughable. I think the more interesting twist would have been for Lindsay to be like, "I'm not sorry about it, I'm glad, and I don't get why people keep assuming I'm avoiding dealing with it because I'm not sorry." I did like that she said something along those lines at first... before of course then saying she was having issues dealing with it.

I had the opposite reaction; I liked that Lindsay was the one who had the guts to take the shot, while Danny was more or less paralyzed with fear (for his daughter, not himself--I don't think this makes him a wimp). Danny needing rescue is not something new, but he usually makes an effort to help save himself--if he's the one in danger. I think Shane having Lucy was what changed the equation, and I don't think his inability to act or fear for his child "emasculated" him. I liked the role reversal, and that Lindsay was the one with the guts to take what was a very risky shot. I thought it was pretty telling afterwards that Danny was the one huddled up on the curb holding Lucy while Lindsay got her blood pressure taken. I like that Lindsay was the one with the guts to take the shot--I just wish it hadn't been undercut afterwards by forcing the character to have "issues" with what she did. I doubt Mac had any issues with shooting Westfield, despite the pained look on his face after he shot him.

I did find it funny that the woman playing the shrink Lindsay saw was so awful, and I couldn't help but wonder if she was cast to make Anna look better in comparison. To be fair, Anna has improved over the seasons; the last time I remember really cringing at her acting was... season four I think? They didn't throw too much at her here, and she handled what she was given just fine.

The thing with Stella didn't bother me so much, mostly because I knew the writers probably didn't have much time to deal with her exit. How much worse would it have been if she'd been killed off screen? It might have been nice to have had the reference to her new job have come from Mac rather than Lindsay. Lindsay's over the top dramatic "running from the office" a la season three did annoy me a bit.

Overall, not the most promising start, but not a terrible one either. Jo's presence definitely ups the ante I think, and I'm curious to see how her character will develop.

15. Ghawazee

Ghawazee CSI Level Three

I gave it an A mainly because of how it was handled Stella's absence.
    It could have been a shock, melodramatic but instead it was written naturally like "The life must go on" it doesn't matter how painful could be for shippers (and it could have been if Stella had been killed but she was left alive at least)

I liked how Jo was integrated and how she adapted to all team members specially Adam and Sheldon because they were the closest members to Stella (they were with her all the time). Jo brought humour so it helped a lot to adapt us to her:bolian:

Love that scene with Flack and Danny. Danny is the lazy one meanwhile Flack only needs the red cap and blue pants:lol::lol::lol:

I also liked the case. Maybe it wasn't a "BOOM" type but considering they had to be very careful with Jo's introduction i think it was more than good:lol:

I couldn't watch the first minutes and i am not interested to see how Lindsay terminates with my all time fav villain:wtf::scream::scream:

Also i still think the medal was the most a little out of line:rolleyes: and "you are a warrior" sounded a bit MUCH specially regarding Lindsay :rolleyes::rolleyes:

However i didn't find it so annoying when Danny hugged her in the roof. (Miracle! It must be the very first time:lol:)

*Sigh* and the letter... i knew it was from Stella right before i saw her name. It made me shed a tear. But at least she is alive and she wasn't killed like in any other shows i have watched in the past:)

Overall a very good episode!

;)

Last edited: Sep 27, 2010