Debate/Dislike a Ship Thread -- CSI:Miami

My sincere apoligies to the people in the Ryan/Walter thread. This is where I should have posted my comments in the first place.:)
For the sake of not derailing the Walter/Ryan thread, I'll respond to comments from your posts over there in here :):

I loved the friendship between Ryan and Walter and didn't for one second believe it to be anything more.
:confused: I said they're slashy, not that I think there is anything more to their relationship in canon. On the show they're friends, and due to a combination of factors, that's all they'll ever be (unless the slash fairy grants me a wish, which I totally would not say not to ;)). I'm under no illusions about that, but fandom and a fun thread on a message board doesn't require strict adherence to canon, so slash them I shall. :p :p

And I want to see him in a snarky, adorkable romance with Walter, hence the thread. ;)

:confused: What do you mean by "an askewed idea of their relationship"? That people would think the show was presenting their relationship as more than friends? That wasn't the intention of the thread at all. As I said above, I know what their relationship is on the show. I slash several combinations of guys over on CSI:NY, but I know they're just friends on the show. That doesn't stop slash from being fun for me. ;)

Technically, a 'bromance' is a close, nonsexual relationship. So sure, you could argue that Ryan and Frank have a bromance, but that's not my point. Most people aren't going to agree with my view of Walter and Ryan's relationship, and they don't have to - the thread was my attempt to find out if there were any other like-minded slashers out there. I know that 99% of the fans on the board don't see it my way. ;)

Your view of their friendship shouldn't be influenced by my (or anybody else's) view of their relationship. Yes, they're just friends, and they're only going to be friends. Watch the show and enjoy their friendship for what it is. I'll watch it and slash the heck out of them. There's room for everybody to have their own corner of the sandbox. ;)

I love Ryan and Walter's friendship and the banter and I don't see it as anything more than a good friendship. To me Walter and Ryan are like Turk and JD on Scrubs or Warrick/Nick on CSI Vegas or yes even Eric/Speed on Miami. :lol:
I'm not opposed to viewing it as just friendship - I like both interpretations of the relationship, to be honest. The friendship is awesome, obviously - and the possibilities for slash are also awesome. :p I just love them either way. :lol:

I don't do slash pairings at all. While I don't pay attention to them this one just bothers me. I guess it is b/c I'm such a huge fan of Togo's and don't see him in that light. I have always shipped him and Calleigh or even him and Natalia; but certainly not Walter.
To be bothered by a slash ship because it implies something negative about an actor doesn't sit right with me, but you're allowed to feel however you feel about it. Slashing Ryan with any guy, Walter or otherwise, is not intended as an insult and shouldn't be viewed as one.

Faylinn, I won't respond to every point; but I get your POV. I didn't quite understand that bromance meant nonsexual relationship though, I guess I'm a little out-of-the-loop.:lol: I will say; when I responded I went with my gut reaction and that gets me in trouble at times. No offense here; but the visualization just threw me. I'm like noooo.:lol:

I respectfully disagree; while I agree that it may not have meant to be disrepectful to the actor or anything like that. Sometimes it can look that way.:)

Last edited:
I'm not opposed to viewing it as just friendship - I like both interpretations of the relationship, to be honest. The friendship is awesome, obviously - and the possibilities for slash are also awesome. :p I just love them either way. :lol:

I can see how some can view them that way. I actually like the idea of Ryan and Walter being roommates like Oscar and Felix. :lol: I think that would make for some funny scenes. They can just match each other in snarky, playful teasing banter. I love that about them. I was just sad when Warrick died for many reasons, but I really miss the Warrick/Nick friendship (they actually called each other "bro" which was cute), but Ryan/Walter's friendship has eased some of that saddness for me this season. :)

I think I'm gonna start shipping Frank/Paula now. :lol: I dunno why, but that just seems really appealing to me for some reason. :lol: And poor Frank needs a girlfriend like yesterday. :lol:

I can see how some can view them that way. I actually like the idea of Ryan and Walter being roommates like Oscar and Felix. :lol: I think that would make for some funny scenes. They can just match each other in snarky, playful teasing banter. I love that about them.

I love your perspective GNRF. It would make for some funny situations with them living like the odd couple. I think you are dead on about their banter. This is what I like about their friendship.:):thumbsup:

I hope this quote; I have had issues with this before.

I hope this quote; I have had issues with this before.

I think you forgot to put the "/" mark at the end of the code the last time. I can't tell you how many times I've done that. Sometimes I think I hit the key, but I must not have pushed on it hard enough or something because it doesn't always take. :lol:

I respectfully disagree; while I agree that it may not have meant to be disrepectful to the actor or anything like that. Sometimes it can look that way.:)
It's only disrespectful to the actor if someone sees it as disrespectful to the actor because, as I said, that is not the intention at all. That it can look disrespectful is your perspective of the situation. Whether consciously or not, it implies that gay=bad. The only way that shipping Ryan with another male character is disrespectful to the actor is if the idea of a character being gay is somehow disrespectful - and I'm afraid we'll simply never agree on that.

(The idea of a romantic relationship ruining a platonic relationship is a valid opinion - I don't personally agree, but it is a valid opinion. Sometimes people view slash between characters as 'disrespecting' their friendship, which I don't agree with, but I understand where it's coming from. I only point this out because I don't mean to imply that the only reason a person could dislike Walter/Ryan is if they are somehow homophobic - I don't mean that at all. I'm only talking about disrespect as it refers to an actor based on how a fan chooses to ship his or her character. There are plenty of reasons people could dislike Walter/Ryan, and that's their right. More for me. ;))

Me saying that Ryan and Walter have an awesome dynamic and that I think they'd be adorable in a relationship is in no way disrespectful to Jonathan or to Omar. It's a compliment to their acting and to the writing of the show that the characters have so much depth and such a great rapport with each other. It's a compliment to the show and the people involved that I would be interested in thinking about the relationship beyond just what's on the screen - the same way it's a compliment to the show to want to talk about their great platonic relationship or to want to talk about how great [insert non-canon het ship here] would be.

If one of the characters was female - say, if Walter was actually Wanda - and they had the same snarky, teasing dynamic, would shipping them be disrespectful to Jonathan? No, and this isn't either. It's not your cup of tea - and it's not for a lot of people - but I'm shipping from my own perspective, nobody else's. And from my perspective, Walter/Ryan is pretty darn awesome. :D

Last edited:
The idea of a romantic relationship ruining a platonic relationship is a valid opinion - I don't personally agree, but it is a valid opinion. Sometimes people view slash between characters as 'disrespecting' their friendship, which I don't agree with, but I understand where it's coming from. I only point this out because I don't mean to imply that the only reason a person could dislike Walter/Ryan is if they are somehow homophobic - I don't mean that at all. I'm only talking about disrespect as it refers to an actor based on how a fan chooses to ship his or her character. There are plenty of reasons people could dislike Walter/Ryan, and that's their right. More for me. ;)

Thank you for validating my opinion. I like Ryan and Walter in a friendship or bromance as you say. I agree that they have a fantastic dynamic, but romantically? No! And as you say that is my opinion.

Also to clarify something I am not nor have I have been homophobic.

Me saying that Ryan and Walter have an awesome dynamic and that I think they'd be adorable in a relationship is in no way disrespectful to Jonathan or to Omar. It's a compliment to their acting and to the writing of the show that the characters have so much depth and such a great rapport with each other. It's a compliment to the show and the people involved that I would be interested in thinking about the relationship beyond just what's on the screen - the same way it's a compliment to the show to want to talk about their great platonic relationship or to want to talk about how great [insert non-canon het ship here] would be.
I agree it is a compliment to Jonathan's and Omar's talents as actors, they play off each other wonderfully. We will just have to disagree on the other points here.

If one of the characters was female - say, if Walter was actually Wanda - and they had the same snarky, teasing dynamic, would shipping them be disrespectful to Jonathan? No, and this isn't either. It's not your cup of tea - and it's not for a lot of people - but I'm shipping from my own perspective, nobody else's. And from my perspective, Walter/Ryan is pretty darn awesome. :D
[/QUOTE]

Yep, understood.:)

Thank you for validating my opinion. I like Ryan and Walter in a friendship or bromance as you say. I agree that they have a fantastic dynamic, but romantically? No! And as you say that is my opinion.

To be clear, I never had a problem with you or anybody else disliking the pairing because you don't see it. My problem has been with the phrasing - suggesting that it is disrespectful to Jonathan, that the relationship is somehow gross ("More than that yukkkkkkkk!!!"), etc. You and I do not interact elsewhere on the board, so I can only form an opinion based on the comments in this thread and the Walter/Ryan thread.

That said, I see little reason to continue debating about it. It's a minor ship with only a few people who like it and a thread that is barely 48 hours old. Y'all can continue to debate about it if you want to, of course, I just don't think I want to. I have slashy GIFs to make. :p

Happy shipping, my lovelies! *salute*

To be clear, I never had a problem with you or anybody else disliking the pairing because you don't see it. My problem has been with the phrasing - suggesting that it is disrespectful to Jonathan, that the relationship is somehow gross ("More than that yukkkkkkkk!!!"), etc. You and I do not interact elsewhere on the board, so I can only form an opinion based on the comments in this thread and the Walter/Ryan thread.

That said, I see little reason to continue debating about it. It's a minor ship with only a few people who like it and a thread that is barely 48 hours old. Y'all can continue to debate about it if you want to, of course, I just don't think I want to. I have slashy GIFs to make. :p

Happy shipping, my lovelies! *salute*

I will not respond again. I am not apoligizing for my feelings about the subject. I will not change my mind or voice my oipnion again; but just to say a first impression is not always the whole person's character. Because I don't happen to agree on a particular subject; does not make me an evil person. Like I said before it was a gut reaction; and I posted before I thought about it.

Enjoy your discussions!!!

Re: The Great Ship Debate--CSI: Miami

Hmmm, a thread about putting people's opinions together and seeing which one's the best yet still nobodys opinion is wrong, well just because an opinion is an opinion, and not fact.

EC to the flippin world!

The thing that makes EC a good romance for the show imo is that they've known each other for so long, and are great friends, that's a good relationship right there. The relation to brother/sister relationship is like saying they look out for each other and are just there for each other like brother and sister would be. What happened recently in season 7 was that a sudden realization, actually from way before because Eric told his therapist about her, that basically says 'you know what, i think i might love this person' Because of this long term friend relationship, the two can be together forever, because a friend is there through thick and thin and blah blah blah. They can live around each other without having more than one occasional fight and so on. The switch into being lovers is great, cuz we know they have the potential to last. Maybe living together and getting to know each other better and being closer together is gonna cuz differences to surface. Eg difference of opinion in Seeing Red, the finale, BUT it's normal.

That sudden spark, I think wasn't shown that well on tv, but it happened, cuz they're in love. So if you dont see it, accept what you believe.

I agree 100% with everything you've said. A sound friendship is a good base for a lasting relationship and sometimes realizations do come suddenly. It took me a bit of time to find this thread! What I used to do is go to csifiles and straightaway click on whatever CSI show I wanted to look at (usually Miami) so I didn't scroll down and see the shipper central thread till about a week ago.
In my opinion, Eric and Calleigh have amazing chemistry and I love watching every EC scene multiple times!

Hmmm, a thread about putting people's opinions together and seeing which one's the best yet still nobodys opinion is wrong, well just because an opinion is an opinion, and not fact.

EC to the flippin world!

The thing that makes EC a good romance for the show imo is that they've known each other for so long, and are great friends, that's a good relationship right there. The relation to brother/sister relationship is like saying they look out for each other and are just there for each other like brother and sister would be. What happened recently in season 7 was that a sudden realization, actually from way before because Eric told his therapist about her, that basically says 'you know what, i think i might love this person' Because of this long term friend relationship, the two can be together forever, because a friend is there through thick and thin and blah blah blah. They can live around each other without having more than one occasional fight and so on. The switch into being lovers is great, cuz we know they have the potential to last. Maybe living together and getting to know each other better and being closer together is gonna cuz differences to surface. Eg difference of opinion in Seeing Red, the finale, BUT it's normal.

That sudden spark, I think wasn't shown that well on tv, but it happened, cuz they're in love. So if you dont see it, accept what you believe.

I agree 100% with everything you've said. A sound friendship is a good base for a lasting relationship and sometimes realizations do come suddenly. It took me a bit of time to find this thread! What I used to do is go to csifiles and straightaway click on whatever CSI show I wanted to look at (usually Miami) so I didn't scroll down and see the shipper central thread till about a week ago.
In my opinion, Eric and Calleigh have amazing chemistry and I love watching every EC scene multiple times!

I agree!! Eric and Calleigh are perfect for each other and even thought it took FOREVER for them to get together, I am happy that they did. I love them sooooo much! :)

EC to the flippin world!

I agree!! Eric and Calleigh are perfect for each other and even thought it took FOREVER for them to get together, I am happy that they did. I love them sooooo much! :)

By the way CSIaholic, I like your location! I think I should go there too although I doubt it'll work for me either!

One ship I could not stand- H/Marisol. That made Miami BORING! I think that if the producers can't find an interesting character to counter H in the relationship, then they should just leave it alone.

Is there any other RaiN fans (Ryan/Natalia) here? So far I can't see any, I feel alone, lol

There are a few of us floating around.:lol: Not too much to discuss right now; but my hopes up for the future. I pulled the thread out of storage for you. :lol:

Is there any other RaiN fans (Ryan/Natalia) here? So far I can't see any, I feel alone, lol

I'm not an active Ryan/Natalia shipper, but I wouldn't mind if they became a couple. They seem like pretty good friends, and some of the best relationships start out as two people being friends first.

Back