Debate/Dislike a Ship Thread -- CSI:Miami

Discussion in 'Shipper Central' started by lament, Aug 28, 2006.

1. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

I don't think Valera's boring. I think the writing is whats boring. :lol: It's a bit unfair to call her boring when she only gets like two minutes (or less) on screen once in a blue moon. The writers could do more with her and her personality. As a huge Valera fan, I can't help but find it a bit insulting to have her compared to Erica Sikes in any way. :lol:

With this writing team, I would not want anymore romances (I don't think it's really the writers' forte lol) on-screen. They tend to write love scenes/relationships as if they were writing for a Grey's Anatomy type of show rather than for a crime drama. I mean Horatio/Marisol was a bit soapish in the writing if you ask me. :lol:

I think the appeal of Ryan/Valera is that fanfic writers can insert any kind of quirky personality they want to for Valera because she is very neglected by the Miami writers. I wouldn't want them together on screen because I don't trust the writers to write the storyline well. :lol: I just like the fics about them. A lot of fanfic writers do what the Miami writers should have done. They give Valera a quirky, fun personality. This is exactly the way I could see Valera being if the Miami writers would do the character justice.

To be honest, Miami's writers haven't really given personality to any of their labrats (except maybe Cooper). Even Dave and Travers as much as I love them are just there to help out with cases. They haven't really given them any personality. And when they first announced that Dave was gonna be a character, they said he was gonna be like a rocker or something, kind of like Greg. But so far, they haven't given him that personality either.

At least the Vegas writers (for all of their faults) give each and every one of their labrats (and they have more than Miami) some kind of personality. :lol:

2. electra

electra Pathologist

What I remember from Valera is not boring at all.Not sure if she would be a match for Ryan.But I liked a scene where he gave her an old book or something and she liked it.it could be good with the right storyline.

What was stupid is that she slept with nick.That " triangle " was almost as bad as Jake/Calleigh/Eric or Eric/Natalia/Ryan.:wtf:

3. slower

slower Lab Technician

I have to agree with you about the fanfic writers, they do a better job at writing for their characters than Miami writers. To bad CBS can't swap the Miami writers for the fanfic writers. :lol:

4. silentdisco

silentdisco Police Officer

Agreeing here as well! I love Valera, and I feel that she has so much potential to be an awesome, quirky character, but the writers just don't give her the time of day. The people who write her in fanfic do an awesome job of making her the cool chick. I think that might be why I like the idea of Valera and Ryan as a couple. From what we've seen, Ryan doesn't really venture off the beaten path. Valera, on the other hand, in fanfic, is the complete opposite, and I think putting opposites together could make for an interesting couple.

However, as someone else said (I think it was GregNickRyanFan, but I'm not 100% sure), I don't think I'd want the writers to make a Ryan/Valera relationship happen on-screen. I don't think writing romance is their forte, and I'd rather Valera and Ryan never become an on-screen couple and stay in the fanfic world than have the writers make a horrible mess of it all.

5. slower

slower Lab Technician

I agree silentdisco that the writers are inept at writing a good romance. They have proven that over the last 3.5 years.

6. silentdisco

silentdisco Police Officer

Well, I can't say that I honestly believe the writers are completely inept at writing romance. After all, I have been known to enjoy the E/C relationship. However, as much as I like the couple, there are plenty of times that the writers have mucked it up more than they ever had to, adding unnecessary drama and the like.

But I must say that I do believe that one relationship on the show is more than enough for them. If they added more, even if they were potential couples that I like the idea of, I have very little faith that the writers would do a good job with it. I think they'd make the relationship more complicated than it needed to be, and it would shift too much of the focus on the romance as opposed to the crime solving. Heck, some people already feel that just the E/C romance has made the show drift too far into "soap opera" territory. While I don't personally agree with that, I respect that others have differing opinions that are no less valid than my own.

7. Solitaire

Solitaire CSI Level Two

I dont want to see more romance on the show between main characters, but I would love to see Frank with someone, outside the lab. :) Its his time, even if it were just a brief appearance- it wouldn't really have to intrude on the story. He could be out having a drink with her and get a call or something.

Ryan and Valera would be an ok match, but I agree with you guys that the writers wouldn't do it justice. I dont find Valera boring, but TPTB havent given her much to work with- there is so much they could do with that character, but I wouldn't trust them to do it. So I would also prefer not to have the writers make them a couple. :rolleyes:

8. alexa

alexa Witness

I think that writers should "back to basics" review perhaps the first 4 seasons in which they could balance (in some way -.-) the action and everything else with the romances existing on this show. But also I have to admit that they strong one never was to write novels, so stop inventing! in my honest opinion, many times when I see csi miami the idea is that I'm watching gossip girl with mysteries and horatio in the middle!
    and the romances is not just the only thing they should worry about! my fave character (Natalia) it seems like she woke up now from a coma for almost 4years XD. Valera is another! instead of thinking about having few characters and think about them carefully, no! they increase the number of characters! and I also think they should better divide the time between certain characters ... cause I can almost vomit on some of them!

**sorry for my super bad English!

9. Jag Lady

Jag Lady Lab Technician

Glad I found this thread.

I agree 100% about Valera. Actually, I thought she did a great job in Internal Affairs, but not sure I think she'd be a good pairing with Ryan.

Actually, just to be a meanie, I think there should be a Delko/Valera/Calleigh love triangle. Maxine's had a thing for bad boys in the past (Speed and Nick Townsend), so let's find out whether Delko's REALLY gonna behave if Valera bats an eyelash at him! :devil:

As I've been a frequenter of the anti-E/C thread, I'll leave that alone, but I agree that the writers couldn't do a good romance to save their, well, you know.

Horatio/Yelina might have gone places, even with the H/Y/Stetler love triangle, but somehow she went from a kick-butt cop to a codependent girlfriend by the end of S3. She went from a beautiful and savvy cop to just looking sad all the time about her dead husband, her son, and how she really wanted to be with Horatio.

Alexa, I'm with you; they need to go back to basics and review the characters. They're totally different from what they were, and not in a good sense.

10. ladyhunter

ladyhunter Head of the Swing Shift

There has been a lot of talk over some ships on this show.

So, here is your chance....

Is the Calleigh/Eric relationship something that helps CSI Miami or hinders it? Are there other pairings that you would like to see?

Can two people who work in the same job have a good relationship?

Now remember, this is a debate thread. People are BOUND to disagree. Everyone is free to their opinion, but remember, someone will disagree. That doesn't mean they are bashing you.

And on bashing... again remember people can voice their opinion it doesn't mean they are wrong if they disagree with you.
    If there is a problem, let one of the mods know and we will step in.

So....DISCUSS.....

11. slower

slower Lab Technician

My sincere apoligies to the people in the Ryan/Walter thread. This is where I should have posted my comments in the first place.:)

While I agree that Ryan and Walter have a really great friendship, and they play off each other so well. I do not agree with the whole bromance thing; the flirty looks please. Ryan tends to give Frank a hard time too, when there together. Does it mean that they are in a bromance?

I again apoligize; but the whole idea just turns me off to even their friendship now.:(

12. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

I love Ryan and Walter's friendship and the banter and I don't see it as anything more than a good friendship. To me Walter and Ryan are like Turk and JD on Scrubs or Warrick/Nick on CSI Vegas or yes even Eric/Speed on Miami. :lol: I'm not against slash pairings (there's actually one for another show that I do ship lol), but I just don't see Ryan/Walter that way. And I'm not just saying that because I ship Ryan with Maxine. :lol: I like Ryan and Walter as friends. Their friendship is awesome, add in Jesse and yes even Frank and that would be comedy gold. The bear scene is my ultimate favorite scene with "The Three Musketeers" and the elevator scene at the end of that one ep with Ryan, Walter, Jesse and Frank was hilarious.

I know she's only appeared once this season, but I kind of like the idea of Jesse with the QD girl Cynthia. I don't know why because they haven't even had a scene together, but I just think they'd look mighty cute together. :lol:

And as much as I love Ryan/Maxine, I could also kind of see Ryan/Jenn (she was the mail clerk in the finale). :lol:

Oooh, here's an idea that just popped into my head. Everyone's been saying Frank needs a lady. How about that cop lady Paula (she's got blonde hair and wears it in a ponytail)? She hasn't been around in a while, but she looks about the right age for Frank. That might be rather interesting. :)

13. slower

slower Lab Technician

Last edited: May 27, 2010
  14. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

For the sake of not derailing the Walter/Ryan thread, I'll respond to comments from your posts over there in here :):

:confused: I said they're slashy, not that I think there is anything more to their relationship in canon. On the show they're friends, and due to a combination of factors, that's all they'll ever be (unless the slash fairy grants me a wish, which I totally would not say not to ;)). I'm under no illusions about that, but fandom and a fun thread on a message board doesn't require strict adherence to canon, so slash them I shall. :p :p

And I want to see him in a snarky, adorkable romance with Walter, hence the thread. ;)

:confused: What do you mean by "an askewed idea of their relationship"? That people would think the show was presenting their relationship as more than friends? That wasn't the intention of the thread at all. As I said above, I know what their relationship is on the show. I slash several combinations of guys over on CSI:NY, but I know they're just friends on the show. That doesn't stop slash from being fun for me. ;)

Technically, a 'bromance' is a close, nonsexual relationship. So sure, you could argue that Ryan and Frank have a bromance, but that's not my point. Most people aren't going to agree with my view of Walter and Ryan's relationship, and they don't have to - the thread was my attempt to find out if there were any other like-minded slashers out there. I know that 99% of the fans on the board don't see it my way. ;)

Your view of their friendship shouldn't be influenced by my (or anybody else's) view of their relationship. Yes, they're just friends, and they're only going to be friends. Watch the show and enjoy their friendship for what it is. I'll watch it and slash the heck out of them. There's room for everybody to have their own corner of the sandbox. ;)

I'm not opposed to viewing it as just friendship - I like both interpretations of the relationship, to be honest. The friendship is awesome, obviously - and the possibilities for slash are also awesome. :p I just love them either way. :lol:

To be bothered by a slash ship because it implies something negative about an actor doesn't sit right with me, but you're allowed to feel however you feel about it. Slashing Ryan with any guy, Walter or otherwise, is not intended as an insult and shouldn't be viewed as one.

Last edited: May 27, 2010
  15. INACTIVEQuinn Fabray

INACTIVEQuinn Fabray Lab Technician

Ryan and Walter would be an amazingly entertaining ship! ;) I can't say I'd "slash" ship them (and I don't say this because I'm a CaRWash shipper, I just personally can't see them being romantically involved JMO), but a "bromance" (is this the right word for it?) would be quite funny. :guffaw: Ryan and Frank's "bromance" is hilarious as it is, but HA Walter and Ryan, they're funny just as good friends/colleagues, so up their relationship up a notch and they could run their own comedy hour! :lol: I still can't get that bear scene out of my mind. That was the funniest scene I've seen on that show in a while! :guffaw: