CSI:LV season 10 in the UK

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by Solitaire, Jan 10, 2010.

1. Solitaire

Solitaire CSI Level Two

^ Me and my Mum decided Warrick must have worked the case, otherwise the others would have known something about it. We thought Grissom, but he would have solved it, easy!
    I also really enjoyed the case. Nick is great with kids, and his caring side also came out with the Mum. Strong Nick episodes do tend to be some of the best. I liked when he didnt dismiss her using a psychic- reminded me of the 'stalker' episode when the psychic came to his house (one of my fav. episodes.)
    I thought everyone got a fair amount of screentime, even Greg!
    The end was a good twist, and everyone played there part well.
    Definitely one of the best episodes this season.

2. Athersgeo

Athersgeo Rookie

Even if it was Warrick, though, I have a reeeeeeeeeally hard time believing that Nick and Catherine wouldn't have at least heard about it - and the more I think about it, the more trouble I have with that.

Which sucks, because it would have been such an easy nit to smooth out. *sigh*

3. lal

lal Pathologist

I really enjoy last week episode, i love the scenes with Nick and the kid :) i can't belive the season is nearly over .

4. Athersgeo

Athersgeo Rookie

Well!

Interesting place to end the episode; next week's should be interesting.

This week's wasn't bad, either. I liked the basic way the story played out and how Ecklie and Catherine handled Ray's activities. I LOVED Greg's line about bat guano (was I the only one waiting for Nick to make some comment about his brush with bat guano from season 3? yes? okay then) and Ray's response to it and I *REALLY* liked the climax of the episode. I thought Nick's investigation of the shack was really well done and I like the team meal thing at the end. (And, in the "little things amusing little minds" stakes, I LOVED the "Which could mean he's got something special planned for you"/"thanks" exchange between Sara and Ray.)

What I really, REALLY didn't like, though, was the set up to GET to that point.

Firstly: why is a CSI 2 working so many scenes solo? Again, the writers are contradicting everything they set up in seasons 1-8 and especially with how they showed Greg's training/progression which is just...frustrating. Particularly given...

Secondly: am I the only person who has a serious problem with no-one noticing that Langston's working off book again? I mean, c'mon. It's painfully obvious the guy is dangerously obsessed with the case (just as in the trilogy). Nick, at the very least, ought to have figured it out and DAMNIT THE GUY SHOULD BE MORE CLOSELY SUPERVISED THAN THIS! Okay. Bugger all they can do about what he does in his own time, but how in the HECK was he able to get away from the 406 without anyone apparently raising a freaking eyebrow? Which comes back to...

Thirdly: again, CSI 2 working solo with no supervision? REALLY?

*tugs hair in frustration*

And that's not touching the awkwardly shoehorned in mention of Daddy Langston.

The Jekyll stuff started out pretty well, but it's been so hamfistedly handled over the season that what should be drawing together just really, really isn't.

Overall, then, a frustrating episode.

5. Solitaire

Solitaire CSI Level Two

Athersgeo- I completely agree. While I enjoyed the episode, there were some major plot holes. As you say Greg wasnt allowed to work a case on his own for ages, and they made a big point of it. Yet Ray is left unsupervised and manages to do a whole investigation in that time.
    And Ray's father yet again? yawn. I dont see the need to keep constantly mentioning it.
    That said, I liked the team moments in this episode, and all the gang at Ray's- although really they shouldnt have let him near that case. The ending was good, and each team member got some decent moments. It will be interesting what they will do for the final!

6. Athersgeo

Athersgeo Rookie

I think it's supposed to have been a major plot point this season.

Alas. It's been botched rather badly because for large chunks of the season, the writers forgot about it!

7. Solitaire

Solitaire CSI Level Two

^ Yeah, its definitely not been handled well. Its become more annoying really.

8. lal

lal Pathologist

Happy Vegas Tuesday :)

9. Solitaire

Solitaire CSI Level Two

Well, I enjoyed the last episode. Its a shame that that is it until next year :(

I thought Dr Jekyll was a bit of a let down. He seemed so clever in earlier episodes, and yet he was just some screwed up guy with a grudge against his Dad. :rolleyes: But I suppose that tends to be the problem when they build something up so much.

Despite that, I think the epi worked well. There were some funny lines (particularly from Brass) and everyone, well maybe apart from Sara, got a good amount of screentime. Nick got to be the hero, we saw more of Cath and Vartaan- I really like them two, Greg was looking hot.
    I thought the guy who played Nate Haskell was very good- liked all of his scenes. I very much doubt that he has done any permanent damage to Ray, but they do like their cliffhanger endings on these shows.

Overall I enjoyed this season much more than last years. I was also glad to see Sara back and Hodges and Wendy get together. More Greg, after so long in the wilderness was definitely a bonus. But still, it hasnt quite got the magic of the earlier seasons :rolleyes: Bit more hit and miss than it used to be.

10. Athersgeo

Athersgeo Rookie

:scream::scream::scream::scream::scream:

I missed it, thanks to a combination of scaffolding and a dead modem.

Thank God for repeat showings on FiveUSA (and spoilers so I do actually know the main events of the episode - I think I'd have bitten my fingers off if I hadn't at least known that!)

11. Athersgeo

Athersgeo Rookie

And now I've seen it, I have to say: that had about as much tension in as a limp piece of celery.

I also have quite a few issues with it.

I will, though, start off with the one thing that made me choke on my coffee with the giggles: Nick Stokes and Anthony DiNozzo - separated at birth. [I will elaborate this further if anyone wants the details, but as it's mostly irrelevant to the episode I'll keep it to myself for now.]

Okay. On to the less frivolous stuff.

1) Why on EARTH did they have to bring Haskell to Las Vegas? Why could they not have questioned him and whatnot actually at the jail? Given the jail's said to be in Ely, that isn't actually that far from Vegas (in Viva Las Vegas, Nick and Sara have to go out to a crime scene near Ely) and surely that would have made more logical sense than dragging him to Vegas. It would have also pissed Brass off a lot less.
    2) Speaking of which, why WAS Brass kept out of the loop? Yes, it made for a great scene between Catherine, Ray and Brass, but talk about unprofessional.
    3) And talking of unprofessional, wtf was with the guard looking after Haskell on his own and not FREAKING NOTICING THE GUY BREAK HIS GLASSES AND KEEP A BIT?!?!?!?!?!?!
    4) And on THAT subject, do they seriously expect us to believe that an inch of shiv is enough to do serious damage to man of Ray's size? Really?

Moving away from Haskell...
    5) When the posse arrive at the Italian restaurant where all the victims ate, why were there no police with them? This has been my real bugbear all season: the CSIs are not cops and, as demonstrated (frequently) in earlier seasons, they ARE supposed to have a cop with them. (Admittedly, Mr Red Shirt Cop didn't exactly help much in the final showdown with Jekyll, but at least he was there!)
    6) Three years of med school is enough to learn to do lapriscopic surgery to that level of competence? REEEEEEEEEEEEEEALLY?
    7) Also, daddy issues? Good gravy. As a motive for a really complicated set of crimes, that has got to be about the weakest one they could come up with.
    8) Granted, Nick's play-dead routine was pretty good, but you'd THINK that a medical student would know that a shot to the shoulder was non-fatal. DAAAAAAAAMN painful and potentially fatal in the long run but not the insta-death that Nick played it to be.

I've probably got a few more nitpicks, but as my internet connection seems to be a little suspect (*sigh* It's only gotta manage another month and a half...) I'll wrap up there. Suffice to say I wasn't dreadfully enthused by the episode!

12. PraetorCorvinus

PraetorCorvinus Moderator Moderator

Once again, I'm invading the UK.

Athersgeo, first off I must say how much I've enjoyed hearing your rants and nitpicks about episodes. And I also have really been intrigued by the difference in views and tastes on the opposite sides of the pond. Episodes that seemed to have been received fairly well in the States didn't seem to get as good reviews in the old country. Of course, this is solely based on the opinions expressed on this forum.

Second, please elaborate on this Nick Stokes/Anthony DiNozzo connection. Episode irrelevancy be damned. :lol:

Oh, and "limp piece of celery" had me in tears for some reason. :guffaw:

13. Athersgeo

Athersgeo Rookie

*snerk*

I have to admit that I've enjoyed writing them. It's been a really, REALLY long time since I've been into a show that's actually still on the air (*cough* Queen of Swords *cough*) and I've been remembering just how much fun it is to take part in an alive fandom and in a place like talkCSI, where people actually understand it if you take notice of the little details! :)

*grins* I think the episodes that have worked best are the ones that could happen anywhere - in that regard, stories like Lost and Found or World's End are pretty good examples - whereas the ones that rely on a specific aspect of American culture (*cough*American Football*cough*) don't translate as well, partly because the whole American sports set up is very different to how things work here. [I was going to pick on Unshockable and country music here, but I actually quite like country music and I think I've probably already flogged Unschockable to death!]

*laughs* Okay. See if I can make this coherent...

As I've possibly mentioned, in addition to watching CSI, I also watch NCIS. A little like CSI, if you throw a stone at the UK TV schedule, you'll probably find an episode of NCIS, so I've now gotten to see every episode at least once. Most of them, I've seen more than once and it was as I was watching a repeat of either 'Missing', 'SWAK' or 'Faking It' (and I really don't remember which one it was) it suddenly dawned on me that in the NCIS universe, if there's a character who's going to get shot, stabbed, beaten up, infected with plague, have his car stolen, have his car blown up or be accused of murder, it's going to be Anthony DiNozzo. I mean, sure, bad stuff does happen to other characters from time to time, but by and large, the crap usually sticks to him...

...which inevitably led me to remembering my comment from way back at the start of this season about why is it always Nick?

And then I started actually looking for the similarities in the two characters' stories and it's actually kind of strange just how many of those there are. I mean, they're both the same age (more or less), both largely defied their fathers to be where they are now, both look/looked for approval from a boss who wasn't/isn't over inclined towards giving it, both are frat boys, both were jocks, both are/were ladies men, both have been stalked, both flirt with female coworkers (admittedly, I don't think anyone's ever threatened Nick with death by paperclip - but that's possibly because LVPD doesn't employ an ex Mossad assassin, and I'm not sure that the thought didn't cross April's mind in 'Death and the Maiden'!)... The final straw was Hodges telling Wendy "and he's demanding pizza", which is the only food I've ever seen DiNozzo actually ask for. (Though, fanfic to the contrary, I don't think he's ever actually demanded it from hospital - though I'm pretty sure he WOULD...)

So there you go.

/giant nerd

And now I have a monster plot bunny that I'm going to be doing my best to completely ignore...

Always happy to entertain :D

14. PraetorCorvinus

PraetorCorvinus Moderator Moderator

Sadly, I'll probably be one of the people who end up leaving the fandom when the show finally ends. Or at least not be as active as I am now. :(

I figured that was the reason for episodes like "Bloodsport" and "Unshockable". (Although I am amazed by how popular country music is outside North America) Well, that and the fact that "Unshockable" was truly terrible. But also it seems that humor is hard to translate as well. "Appendicitement" and "Take My Life, Please" were fairly humorous to me (I'm refraining from speaking for others, though I know that many loved these episode too). Yet, as I recall, your reviews for these episodes were largely on the negative side. Again, I find this fascinating. What about these episodes, and "Field Mice" as another comedy ep, did you dislike specifically? Was it the humor or something else?

The US and the UK. Two countries divided by a common language.

Heh. You're talking to the guy who can walk in on a Star Trek: TNG episode and name it and the season within ten seconds and who knows Batman lore better than the back of his own hand. Neither of which I'm particularly proud of... :lol:

15. Athersgeo

Athersgeo Rookie

I may, or I may not be. It depends a little bit. I mean, I was in (and active in) the Highlander fandom for years beyond the end of the series but I drifted away from that when the discussion shifted from HL to Adrian Paul as James Bond *pauses to giggle* So as long as the discussion remains intelligent, I'll stick around.

Field Mice I can't comment on as I missed that episode completely. That said, I have enjoyed the other labrat episodes in previous seasons so...

Appendicitement - my basic problem is that most of the comedy was of the physical variety which has never been my thing. I far prefer word play (which may be why I found Longball so funny - not that many of those jokes were especially clever!). I also really, REALLY don't like situations that are set up in such a way as the scene is more or less holding up a sign saying "Laugh DAMNIT" - I don't like it when the writers treat me like I'm a moron (OR when the writers treat the characters like morons). Essentially, it's just not my sort of humour. (It's also worth noting that I don't basically like sitcoms or romcoms either - I prefer my comedy in a much subtler form...or at least in the form of very bad puns!)

Last Laugh - This was definitely less the humour and more the fact that what I got to see of the story I found boring largely because between the teaser and the third act all I really got to hear about was the latest installment of my aunt's on-going battle with my cousin and my cousin's father's (formerly my uncle but now both divorced and dead) family who, I swear, would fit right in on the Jerry Springer show... It's an episode that I'll try and catch when the inevitable repeats start up and see if it's better when seen without interruptions! (Though the fact that I can nitpick the science will still remain an issue...)

So true. (Says the woman who had to buy a friend a new keyboard after informing said friend she'd bought friend's middle schoolers some really cool rubbers for back to school...)

*laughs* I can do DS9 and I've got a reasonable shot with TNG (though I'm not fluent on that one); I can also identify SOME of Voyager, but I usually need longer than ten seconds for that. I'm also pretty good on Buffy and I can STILL remember all the cases from season 2 of Cold Squad. (Though, in my defence, I did tape tree that show for about fifteen people, so I did end up seeing it WAY more than was healthy!) And then there's one of Archie Kao's prior acting gigs - where, in addition to knowing the canon backwards and forwards, I actually made a lasting contribution to fannon...and that one I'm NOT going to elaborate on any further, at least not in-post!

Hi. My name is Athersgeo and I quite clearly have no life...!