Season 11 "Spoiler Lab" Discussion

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by Smokey, May 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

I think it was due to some contract discussions, DW that was in TV Guide that riled some people up. That's where the comment came from. It seems whenever George does an interview it gets picked apart ferociously. Poor guy can't win. Oh well.

2. jafox

jafox CSI Level Two

I would hope that all the characters get their own character-centric episode next season. CM (I know, it's hard to believe her at times) said she wanted to explore their personal lives more next season. I don't remember her mentioning anyone in particular, so I hope she means everyone. Greg is certainly overdue; and if Jorja does return, then it's fair to include Sara in the mix. It's not unreasonable to hope for some GSR during 'her' episode; in fact, it would be illogical not to have something. At this point I'd be happy with a 'Honey, I'm home!'. :)

3. PraetorCorvinus

PraetorCorvinus Moderator Moderator

I think that's an inherent problem with most performances. How much of the character is the actor? With CSI, the actors seem to have quite a bit of say-so on what their characters do. Eric's hair choices in the earlier seasons somewhat defined the character of Greg - if Eric wasn't into crazy hair, how would that have affected the viewers perception of Greg. Paul's sense of humor leaked into Brass - from what I understand, Paul is quite the comedian and isn't at all gruff like Brass is most of the time. And who knows how much of Peterson went into Grissom - the argument over rats in "Lab Rats" comes to mind.

I guess it comes down to how much the actor identifies with the character. I know George stated that Nick would never use an umbrella - and to my knowledge he hasn't. Is that something that George himself doesn't do or just how he envisions Nick?

And of course fans often equate the actors to their characters. Since we don't know any of them, we try to make them tangible by seeing their characters as them. Thus blurring the lines.

I have no idea why I said all this. The thought intrigued me and I had to conceptualize it. :)

4. Smokey

Smokey Nickaholic Moderator

I'd say it's Nick, as he says, "Nick Stokes doesn't use umbrellas". In interviews it always strikes me how he talks about Nick as a separate person. I mean, that's obvious, but he's said several times that Nick is much braver than he (George) is. Again, probably obvious, but still. He doesn't put that much of himself into Nick, I don't think. Except the ball cap. ;)

Because you're a "funtain" of wisdom! :lol:

5. PraetorCorvinus

:guffaw:

6. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

I'm a little confused. Isn't it continuity when Sara mentions Grissom on the show (which she does nearly every episode)? I'm not really understanding what you meant by you want GSR continuity. Are you meaning that you want the kind of continuity that would only come with an appearance by Grissom? Cause if that's what you mean, then you would have to take that up with Billy Petersen. I'm sure tptb would love more than anything to have him back, but he seems content where he is. I mean, I miss Grissom, but I respect Billy's decision not to return. If he decides to return for an episode, I'm all for it, but if he doesn't, then I respect and accept that. As fan the most important thing to me is that he's happy. He seems to be happy on stage, so I'm happy that he's happy. :)

I wouldn't mind seeing Greg kick in a door once in a while... but I think we've got to remember that while Nick is not a cop now, he used to be a cop, so he does still have those cop instincts. Hard habit to break, I suppose.

That did bother me a little, but I blame the writers. The reason it bothered me is because they were in the middle of surgery (which is supposed to be sterile) and having them remove their masks could have caused the patient to get an infection and die. So, that was pretty bad on the writers' part.

One thing's for sure, you don't need to "layer up". :D

Sorry, I couldn't resist adding that. :lol:

Last edited: May 25, 2010
  7. Adzix

Adzix CSI Level Three

I apologize if I've done anything to upset anyone, Smokey and the rest of you.

Oh yeah, I totally agree (which is why I don't understand the reaction, really). I think it's good to have a certain amount of ego especially in this business, and I'm not saying that GE doesn't deserve the time on the show, far from it (and I have added that I simply don't know whether he even has one so, please, calm down :p). He's been there for a long time and portrays a character that can pull off all of the physical action thrown into the script without looking like he is not strong or capable enough. This is not what I'm saying.

What I'm saying is that I do not like the way he is being portrayed this season by the writers; that Nick is over the top, and that a lot of stuff is simply too cliched, and done by other TV shows before. CSI is not a cop show known for having perfect characters. It's always been marketed as the opposite, it's a show about science and normal people behind it: an anti-social entomologist, an ex-stripper turned blood analyst, an angst-driven physicist, a bunch of individualistic lab techs, a young criminalist from Texas, and another one from LV with a gambling problem, a snarky Detective and so on. I understand that these characters can't stay the same for 10 years, but the path some of them have taken, Nick especially, is something I can't stand to watch.

ETA:
    Grissom was mentioned 4 times in the presence of Sara this season, out of 23 episodes. Out of those 4 times, Sara mentioned him unasked only twice. Each time the conversation was not longer than 5-20 seconds, probably, and we haven't learned anything new about where he is or why is Sara still in Vegas, since the season premiere. And I want to know all that. :)

Last edited: May 25, 2010
  8. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

I agree with you to some degree. I'm a huge fan of Nicky angst. I would love some inner conflict with Nicky or some romance with an unconventional character.

But the way you worded with an icon you posted not long ago gave me the impression you were attacking him.

9. GregNickRyanFan

I think for Nick, the writers have taken the phrase "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger" and have started to run with it. So much has happened to Nick that if happened to a lot of people, would cause them to start drinking, become depressed or worse. But they've taken everything Nick has been through and written it to where Nick is much stronger for it. And maybe sometimes the writers overdo it a bit, but at least he does get injured (hence the shot in the shoulder) unlike some other characters on tv whom the writers make seem invincible, even if I do like the characters. :lol:

10. PraetorCorvinus

See, I have no issues with how Nick is being portrayed. In the beginning, he was shown as the emotional one both with empathizing with victims and getting angry with suspects. He's also been the most active when it comes to his job, i.e. chasing fleeing suspects . As the character ages (not physically but mentally), his personality could do one of two things: slow down or speed up. The writers (and possibly George) have decided to go with the second. Yes, this will probably come back to bite Nick in the ass when he discovers he's not as young as he used to be. For now, I think his character has progressed believably.

11. Adzix

Adzix CSI Level Three

Yeah, I guess I can relate, since I wouldn't have liked if they made Grissom all perfect either, or made him super content with everything thrown his way. Hah, but see? You'd like some romance for Nick and I always looked forward to shipping Grissom with practically any pretty female he ever expressed interest in, lol. I mean, I think we're more alike than we think; it's just the characters we like are kind of on opposite ends. :p

12. A. FineLabrats

A. FineLabrats Rookie

Hmm...can this love-fest get any more cloying.. ;P

Anyways..I think Greg definitely needs a couple episodes to himself next season. Let's hope that with the ending of the Jekyll storyline there'll be some room for that, since I think the others had pretty good screen time this season.

13. Dizzney

Dizzney Moderately Insane Moderator

Are you picking on my Greg? :p

I personally think Nick had a lot of stuff this season and in the past few eyars. I'd like to see Greg get at least one episode next season mostly surrounding his character. Last he had was in season 7. I'd still like to know about Greg's parents. I mean we know what Ray's father did now but still not Greg's. All we know about Greg is his mother is overprotective and his Papa and Nana Olaf were eccentric.

And I do really hope the Jekyll storyline is over and they end the Haskell one pretty quickly. I like his character but we've seen him a lot already over the last two seasons. I want them to steer clear of a serial killer case.

14. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

Yeah I mean..Nick HAS gotten to a point where I keep expecting him to run into a phone booth, rip off his clothes :)drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool:) and wear tights and cape with a big N on his chest.:guffaw:And fly into the air or something.

After Grave Danger, I was kind of hoping for some Post Traumatic stuff, not him drinking or stuff but gees..show him having nightmares. They did a little bit of it with Gum Drops, but not a lot. Nobody gets over such an ordeal THAT FAST.

Hmmm..maybe Greg will get to shoot the next serial killer!:lol:

Catherine shot the first one, Sara would have loved to have killed the next one for putting her in a trunk and Nick got to kill the last one.

Grissom? His kept killing themselves..guess they figured Grissom was going to do it anyways, so they gave up. They knew they were no match for the Bugman.;)

15. GregNickRyanFan

Now I'm picturing George in that Superman costume. Oh my what a sight that would be. :drool: :D

He'd have to grab someone else's gun since he doesn't carry. Unless he shoots them with a flare gun or something. :lol: I saw someone killed like that on a movie once. haha.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.