Grade 'Redemptio'

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Apr 14, 2010.

?

How would you grade Redemptio?

1. A+

10 vote(s)
    19.2%
  2. A

10 vote(s)
    19.2%
  3. A-

4 vote(s)
    7.7%
  4. B+

5 vote(s)
    9.6%
  5. B

3 vote(s)
    5.8%
  6. B-

5 vote(s)
    9.6%
  7. C+

2 vote(s)
    3.8%
  8. C

3 vote(s)
    5.8%
  9. C-

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

2 vote(s)
    3.8%
  12. D-

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  13. F

6 vote(s)
    11.5%
  1. ~Sarah~

~Sarah~ Lab Technician

This episode kept be pretty entertained, I have to admit.

I feel like his badge was stolen at least a couple months ago rather than a few weeks.

2. Elwood21

Elwood21 Pathologist

...right. So. ...That was it then was it?

:borg:

Hullo. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my sist- . Hi. I'm a crime scene investigator. And I'm happy. You can be happy too. :p

I hafta put this up tonight if it's gonna go up at all. It was Cotton candy. Colorful. Fluffy. Brightly colored. Sticky. Messy. Mostly air. Best enjoyed on a lark.

I love that Sheldon got a full episode centered around him :). I love that. But. It was supposed to be all intense and serious. And there was so much that was hard to take seriously...:lol: I did my best. I will cop to a moment early on where I admittedly fretted briefly for wondering just how badly he might get stomped :p. I'm ambivalent and left blinking and wondering what I just saw. I guess the simplest answer is it was the next shoveled installment in the Shane Casey line. Basically a chase ep. A very contained chase ep :lol:.

There were some fun scenes, some action, and from a production standpoint there was lots that I liked. But. When that's what stands out, it often kinda means the material that was supposed to hold it altogether was lacking.

I liked that the premise of Sheldon's sister brought him to the prison, but the ep was wholly about Casey. Going deep, I suppose both Reggie and Sheldon earned some spot of redemption where Maya was concerned. Aaaand that's about as deep as I'm gonna go there. Thought Sheldon was a tad OOC pulling a Mac on Reggie with the arm across the throat. Mebbe it fit, it just seemed to come out of the blue, and I was more ...:vulcan: at the notion I was supposed to think Sheldon had it in him to even approach the notion of killing the guy. I guess it ultimately read as Sheldon trying to figure out wtf to do with what had been revealed to him.

So. The :wtf: / :shifty: / :p List.
    • "oh my goodness." what. where. Plz, where? Srsly. Where. Not yet? ...Oh. Not till the finale, you say? Doh. Damn. Coulda used a bit of that here.
    • some terrible lines. "We're all here for you." "That doesn't look good." "what's going on." "That could take hours." "What are you thinking." "Gee that mountain's tall." "We'll just hafta climb it then." OK. That last wasn't in there. But you get my point :p.
    • no badge accountability for the Messers. W.T.F. Wuz Dat. It hurts. It really hurts. My head. From doing ...:brickwall:
    • the fact it was supposed to have been only a few weeks :)wtf:) since Messer's badge was stolen. (Did I say "it hurts" already? yes? alright. But it does. A lot).
    • the pronunciation of deaths seemed rather swift on each occasion, and the first in particular was almost funny. I half expected Sheldon to thud a fist down on the guy's chest and shout "...!breathe damn you, not today g- dohcrap. dead is dead. sry." :p
    • rather shoddy prison construction. one bullet set loose all cells? really. :shifty: So if the Fonz's second cousin's brother's uncle's former roommate came in and tapped it, the doors would open...
    • rather shoddy prison construction redux. F*ck the hell off and gone, eroding and popping a weld like that with a bed-cracked battery :lol:. Not to mention prying the pipes and plumbing apart. Nor kicking a hole in the not-even drywall over a vent. All interesting that. PS. Don't breathe the air. It might kill you. Oh my go0dness.
    • poison by peach pit. Even if. What. Was the guard just mowing down on something while on duty?
    • small very clean prison. with lots of variant paper products to throw upwards to waft in front of a camera, especially thru a door window. The sense and scale of it improved once they got out of that first room :lol:.
    • DL. Way to go. Oh Mighty Messers. Being all up in Sheldon's kitchen on limited battery time in the middle of a wee tiny rioting crisis. I mean I know you've both got dick all to do, with your friend and colleague in lockdown. Least, did the rest of the city just stop contributing to your case-load interim? No one else seemed to have as much idle time as yous... :p
    • Shane Casey. Mixed feelings. A little whack. Came across a bit of a cross between porky pig, peewee herman, and Dr. Evil. Was hard to take him too seriously; sometimes that happens when the mystery surrounding you is dissipated by the mere fact of opening one's mouth.
    • Curvatures of Lettuce. "It'll reduce the size of your thoracic cavity." This is gonna become a new weekly drinking game.
    • Postcards From The Edge of Continuity: "Sam Flack, Louie Messer, Adam's father all sez Hullo. Much love, teh Prods. Wif dat scene's simple exchange and acknowledgment, plz to now leave us alone, as even within NY's warped essence of time there's no way to fit them all in." No. Oh no. Dat didn't atall come across as a contrived if startling insertion to demonstrate they iz not forgotten :p.
    • all tied and wrapped up wif a bow. Reggie shot? check. Casey escape? Yep. Used Messer's badge? Yep. Warden make it? Time is relative, he's already out of the hospital back from near death. Rescued the newly widowed wife and family of the blackmailed state-trooper? Yep, deathbed promise was fulfilled, so as not to overhang our hero in future. Hero led to safety? Yes. Hugs upon return? All around. Old photos retrieved? You bet. What. Rly? ...yep, graveside visit even. Might as well. In for a penny and all.
    • Oh. And Lindsay. Way to "tag Reggie so that SWAT will know he's not a Hostile" and get his ass shot.

(Not like anyone with half a gray cell couldn't have foreseen that end for Reggie coming. Nor indeed how Casey was gonna get out. O my go0dness).

Things :p / :cool: / :).
    • some nice contrasts. IE. The deadzone abandoned cell wing after the fires and rioting earlier. The opening night time rain vs. stopped rain/overhang vs. sunny end footage.
    • Mac. Flack. Were the only ones not constantly spouting inane lines and had at least some semblance of purpose, one even communicated thru to Tactical, ie. find an exit route for Sheldon and don't shoot him when he emerges.
    • within the first few minutes had noted the Dept Of Corrections acronym on the backs of the overalls. DOC, that is. Knew Doc would be wearing DOC soon, but was still amused.
    • the throwaway line about the badd ass macguyver stuff, even if in itself it was better than the badd ass macguyver stuff.
    • teh Shiny Ubertech of the Week, the digital imagery table they were referencing all the blueprints on. Provided some nice shots, esp. the first carefully set up overhead of Mac leaning on it, complete with color theme.
    • Shane Casey. Mixed feelings. Had some moments of coming across as an inflated smarmy little fucker. Could possibly be a decent villain. Not as diabolical as he once was by any stretch. But could be fun to hate.
    • Sheldon and Reggie getting locked into Casey's cell as a twist. Not how it was resolved mind you. Just that they'd gotten locked in. The ep didn't turn into an endless Spinal Tap wandering about.
    • Sheldon dryly/wryly but with a point turned a Taylorism back on Mac (the longer I wait the colder it gets) which Mac duly countered with the small riot issue. Was a nice exchange really, that still also crystallized what was in play.
    • well. one more question answered. Casey shaved before escaping and not after. didn't know prisons stocked weed-whackers.
    • viewing this episode as confirmation that the writers' room is equipped with it's own tardis. It's one of a small handful of theories I'm working on to explain NY's quirky relationship with Time.
    • liked the nod to S3 where Casey had also taunted Hawkes in prison, while visiting as his "laywer." Also prompted another visceral response from Sheldon, the second time he looked to try and throttle someone. Prison does seem to bring out an (understandably) edgier and more extreme side to Hawkes...:p

Was a pretty absurd episode with some great visuals and action, some good moments for Sheldon. Was a lotta other stuff that just kept pulling me out from enjoying the episode, even on purely a ride level even :lol:. And it shoulda been a blast of a ride, having jettisoned one's disbelief (let alone suspended it :lol:). Guess it wasn't a seamless one, just gritty enough to start ya wondering about the vehicle that's carrying you along instead of being able to take it for granted. Those struts need a little work.

*vague undercurrent of dread* :shifty: Shane Casey's current incarnation, combined with the Messer's current incarnation does not in the least infuse me with keen burning interest for the finale, and a f*cking related cliffhanger to boot. ...Omygo0dnessNo. :vulcan:

Will give it a day or so before grading. Might be a bit rash and overly harsh at the moment. (Seems to be a rather common response so far... :p)

Thought I heard it said at one point in the ep that Sheldon's sister was living in PA, and was murdered there, and thought the dmv photo was also from there, so I put that as why Reggie was being held there, and why all the back and forth was by phone etc, as opposed to half the team immediately racing down on a field trip to try and break Sheldon out more literally :lol:. Jurisdiction coulda been a matter of courtesy given Sheldon was a Gold Shield trapped in the madness. Dunno. *shrug* Wasn't something that made my already lengthy list of oddities :lol:

Last edited: Apr 15, 2010
  3. Fwuzzfwuzz

Fwuzzfwuzz Hit and Run

Lol Elwood. You're Hillarious. ^.^

I actually enjoyed this episode. When I read the description - I didn't think I was going to like it that much because it seemed off the wall. I mean it was off the wall when watching it but it was just purely fun.

I really like the Perrineau (Sp??) guy. He was a really good actor and he made you feel sorry for him quick. Him and Hill worked well together. Loved the whole scene of them breaking out of the cell together.

Shane Casey came off as just ridiculous to me. His smiley/happy/off-his-rocker routine was so overdone I was cringing. Some people can play insane killers pretty well but Shane just came off as a creepy looking pedophile or something.

The team working together to find and exit plan was fun to watch. With Flack there as well. Lately it seems Flack has been in the lab WAAAAAY more often. I mean there was a time where Flack and Adam were barely in any scenes together but now they scenes have multipled. I'm not complaining. Flack can drop by my lab any day.....if I had a lab. haha

Stella's nonreaction to the whole badge things was odd. Maybe she was distracted? I mean even Flack was more ominous. Mac can't know. I mean this is Mac - wouldn't he be much more worried about Casey if he knew he had Danny's badge. I'm pretty sure this is meant to be dragged out.

The whole louie/sam/adam's dad thing was funny. I was more like c'mon, c'mon Adam spout off some more info or something. If they don't give us something next season I swear there will be hell to pay. I want background!! (Plus bring Sam back. She's awesome!!)

Last thing - uh how old is super-genius Hawkes/Doogie Howser. I mean seriously if his sister is born in 71 that'd make her 39 - in those picture she look about 12 and he looked like 6. Making him like 33??? WTH....

Anyway - Grade= A-

4. sjhubby

sjhubby Prime Suspect

Well ITA with everything everyone has to say. :thumbsup: I gave it a good grade the first for the season. I don't know why considering it was a let down compared to all the hype. :( Maybe it is because Iam just glad for one week we did not have to indure the question of Macs love life. The second reason is it's 3 in the morning and I have been taking pain med and muscule relaxers for a bad back. ( thats may also explain my awful spelling):guffaw:Question: Why is Shane in a Penn state prison for murder he committed in N.Y.

Another queston: Why is it when Danny told Stella about losing his badge and knowing Shane Casey may be involved did she not react at all. Isnt she 2nd in command. She was balistic when he called in with the blue flu last season, even drove all the way over to his apt to as she said "LET HIM HAVE IT." but this nothing. I guess we have just gotten used to all the hype and false info about storylines this season that when we are disapointed we can all laugh about it, and laughter is good :guffaw:
    Another medication induced thought: If Sheldon McGuyver was able to use a drop of battery acid to melt through steel bars, why dident he just use the pipe from the toilet and some toilet paper to build himself a nuculer powered submarine time machine. He could have just gone back to early that moring and went fishing instead.

OMG!!! I just figured out why Stella didn't react when Danny told her about his badge: she didnt hear him. She was preoccupied trying to figure out who Mac was going to choose Aubrey or Payton. Guess she will just have to read the boards this summer like Pam and the rest of us.

Of course now after this exciting episode we will be rewarded with another rerun next week

5. Carolyn_333

Carolyn_333 Pathologist

I just finished watching this episode on ON DEMAND. I missed it the first time it was on earlier tonight. I'm not sure how I feel about the episode. No wait. I just decided how I feel: it was okay but I don't want to see it again. I am glad they finally brought it up again about Danny's badge being stolen. I was beginning to think they'd forgot. I'm mad that Shane Casey got away...again. Dumb guards, someone needed to send them a picture of Sheldon. I bet Shane will be killed before the season is over. Next time he shows up, he'll probably be in NY and Mac or Stella or Flack or Danny will put a bullet in him and kill him. Like that female assassin in the season 4 episodes "Down The Rabbit Hole" and "DOA For A Day".
    My grade for this episode: D. I didn't find it bad enough for a D- or an F. I also didn't find it good enough for anything higher than a D. I'm not being generous, this time. If I were being generous, I'd give it a D+ instead of D. Can I get my hour back? I want my hour back.

6. Plenilunio

Plenilunio Lab Technician

I was expecting a bunch of crap and that's exactly what I got. The episode was a lame excuse to get some supposedly juicy stuff:
    -Hawkes had a sister nobody knew about and who was older than him. He get younger every year, just like Stella.
    -Got your badge stolen? Who cares! It's not like it's important or anything.
    -Shane Casey = nutty villain. Still, Bellatrix is cooler.
    -Cyanide poisoning in movies is way more full of awesome than IRL.
    -Louie is gone.

So, some 42 minutes for this. Fine. I'm unimpressed, but I wasn't expecting anything different. C for me.

7. Poppet

Poppet Police Officer

So after all the hype of the 'best episode ever' that was a disappointment.

I liked the idea for the story, it was different from the usual episodes, however:

*The prison riot looked more like a pilow fight
    *There is no where near enough acid in a battery to break open prision bars
    *Messers missing badge just casually dropped into conversation with no real reprimand (and so whose badge did he put in that passport the other week? Flacks I assume)
    *Lindsay not so brilliantly alerting the SWAT team to Reggie
    *I know the SWAT team were aware that a NYPD officer was in the prision but surely Mac had sent a picture of Hawkes over to them or at least given a discription that included the fact he is black and not wearing a uniform.
    *The little round robin of continuity - I know we all complaint about a lack of continuity but to cram it all into a one minute conversation was a bit much.
    *How old is Hawkes, do all the actors have it in their contract that the characters must be 10 years younger than them? (I remember a similar thing with Melina last season)

I thought Hill did a really good job as did the guy playing Reggie. I liked Edward Furlong aswell although he is totally over the top but I think that kinda suits the character.

Overall an enjoyable episode but not a patch on Snow Day! (or several other episodes for that matter).

8. CSI Cupcake

CSI Cupcake Police Officer

This episode reminded me of a highschool group project. A group of people get together for an assignment...how do we get Shane Casey out of prison...and are given the following tools to use: the main character in the project is Dr. Hawkes, the surprise is that he had a sister. You must use at least one McGyverism, because this IS a science based show, and all of the team must be included. Now.....GO! And we got what we got.

The moment Sheldon put on the jumpsuit I knew it would bite him in the butt at the end. Why oh why didn't he keep his clothes on underneath it. The state patrol managed to wear two uniforms without anyone being any the wiser yet Sheldon couldn't shed the jumpsuit and pin his badge on before leaving the building??? No because then they would have listened to him about Shane Casey.

All the time Hawkes was strangling Reggie I kept thinking Hippocratic oath, hippocratic oath, hippocratic oath.....

I don't think Hawkes had any intention of saving Reggie at the end so it didn't bother me at all that Lindsay didn't tag him as a non-hostile. He was the prisoner being put to death, after all, for two murders (three if you count Maya) and even helping a cop stay alive doesn't negate any of that.

The badge thing: If Stella had not picked up on the non-verbal war going on between the Messers, I don't think Danny would have told her at all. Do I feel cheated...sort of because I wanted to see the fireworks. Am I glad it's finally out in the open...YES. Now we can move on. I'd much rather see them track Shane's movements than watch Danny try to hide it any longer.

I don't know about real life, but in my mind someone as evil and demented as Shane should have been in a prison for the criminally insane, not your regular run-of-the-mill prison facility. Just the fact that he was where he was was hard to swallow.

I'm rambling...I know. Some of the bits and pieces of this episode were good, but most of it was just so ridiculous. It was a means to an end that happened to feature Sheldon. I'm glad Hill was excited and enjoyed it but even though they pulled out all his superpowers it still fell flat, as a whole, for me. Sorry but it gets an F.

ETA: A question please. What is "shoeboxing". I've heard of "shoe horning" something into a place it has no place but shoeboxing...
    new one on me!

9. _Hush_

_Hush_ Winchester Inc.

^I think shoeboxing means that you take facts that you've almost forgotten (aka Adam's dad, Danny's brother etc.) and use them again.

Kinda like old pictures, letters etc. that you've stored in a shoebox in the attic for so long and now re-use them.

Or maybe that it's a nice wrapped up ending, that can fit into a shoebox. I haven't seen the ep yet, but this is what I make of it :D

10. tobinhr

tobinhr Hit and Run

Most of my own irritations with the episode have been covered: the "pillow fight" riot, the non-reaction to Danny's confession, the over-emphasis on the computer table, (Oh! Look! We can make it bigger...smaller...move it around!) and the quick summation of family black sheeps.

Loved the Hawke-centric theme, his fighting skills (!) and I have to admit, the closing made me tear up. But then I choke up during Hallmark commercials too...

If Shane Casey is gearing up for something evil, more evil than decapitation, then it must have something to do with the torturing of the living. I'm just praying it doesn't include little neglected Lucy. ( I would just as soon forego the whole cliff hanger thing..it gets old. "Snow Day" was awesome and finished at the end..)

Oh, and there was not near enough Flack for this girl. Just a few lines and a few moments..::sniff:: They'd better make up for that..

Tobin

11. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

Thank you. :)

I was wondering why Mac didn't send a pic of Casey to them (like he sent the riot pic to them) when he realized that Casey might be involved.

What was the reason? I must have missed that too.

12. Messers fan

Messers fan Rookie

well in fact there is no good reason Shane was furious because the gard only did his job -keeping him behind the bars-

But Danny is the one who put him behind the bars....

13. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

I thought danny was the only one who showed him compassion though. You'd think he'd be grateful for that. Okay, so he was mad at Hawkes cause Hawkes had something to do with his brother being in jail and he's mad at Danny because Danny put him in jail. Yeesh! Where is the taking responsibility for oneself and ones own actions? Why not be mad at himself for doing the stuff that got him arrested in the first place? :lol:

14. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

actually i think they said he was a state trooper, so it's unlikely he'd be squealing too much! the guy that ended up in hospital was the prison warden, ie the big boss. but he was someone different.

haha yeah, my first thought was "oooh he's having his lithium level done!":lol:

haha yeah that really was a dumb excuse to get into a "we've all suddenly remembered we have backstories" scene, i'm sure they'll be leaving texas soon, but only if they're ready.

or even a dumb excuse to get into a chase scene ;)

haha yeah, i was thinking "little tiny battery, bloody great iron bar, hmmm *raised eyebrows all round*

also, the set up of the riot confused me - we have to assume that shane didn't know there would be a riot - the guard was only meant to (according to the trooper) open door 17 - it was massively convenient for shane that all the doors were opened by accident. what was he really planning? because unless he is clairvoyant, it can't have been that. but the entire storyline seemed to assume that his original plan was to create a riot, so which was the case?

ps and *thank you* for quoting one of my favourite film lines ever :D

haha, it should! drinking games are always fun :D i wonder what other elements could be used for it? adam acts nervous, lindsay says something annoying, mac and stella stand in the same room and half the world assumes it's because they're about to have sex :)p;)), danny says boom, flack is snarky, someone explains something to the audience very, very sloooooowly, just in case we were too thick to grasp it - haha, i like this idea, i suspect i'd enjoy the eps even more if i were tipsy within a few minutes of the start :lol::lol:

yup, it's always nice to see some competence and both delivered :D
    yeah that was a great shot :D

yeah i got the distinct impression edward furlong was hamming it up more than a little, but i guess if you're playing a diabolical villain, you may as well have some fun, and the almost comic element made him come across even more deranged, i quite liked it :)

oh, i loved that bit, it was a great little exchange.

yeah i wondered that, unless it was a fake beard that he'd procured to aid his original escape plan, assuming mac or someone would get his picture out to the authorities (which clearly didn't happen). it was quite a transformation!

well if they do have a tardis, they don't have a doctor to operate it, because otherwise their time lines would stack up more because they'd remember what they'd done. maybe the doctor was off saving a planet and they borrowed it but forgot to take notes?

yeah i liked that too :)

hmm clearly i'm still feeling far too agreeable towards elwood....:lol:

15. Maya316

Maya316 Lab Technician

:lol: It makes sense that Sheldon's sister was murdered in Pennsylvania, but gotta admit I was largely wondering why Shane was being held there. Lol, weird.

I saw this episode two more times after I reviewed last night, but it feels like I need to watch again, 'cause I missed some stuff. Like the date on Hawkes's sister's tombstone :lol:, and when Lindsay tagged Reggie, or didn't tag Reggie or whatever she did. And one more thing that bothered me from this ep, GregNickRyanFan already mentioned it: I realize police officers can't be expected to remember every high-profile criminal from years ago, and in all fairness Shane isn't all that remarkable-looking. But you'd think every official involved in that riot would've had an image of him, if not from years ago, at least from what Mac might've told them.

It's just weird that Mac spent half the episode on the phone with someone from SWAT, and not once did a description of either Hawkes or Casey come up.

I didn't mind the Round Robin, tbh, because I thought it came off naturally; like break-room conversation over a case they were relating to (ie, CSI Original, when they were investigating the death of a high-school bully, and every CSI chipped in on what they were in high school), rather than exposition to remind us Louie/Sam/Adam's dad existed. Unless someone has watched previous episodes where those guys were relevant/mentioned, they probably wouldn't know the characters had ever appeared.

ETA the Sequel: Though I lol-ed that they even had time for break-room-esque convo...I agree with what an earlier poster said, it's lucky that NYC was behaving itself that night :lol:

I still stand by my earlier grade, watching it over again didn't change that; but the ep definitely had a lot of plotholes.

ETA:

I thought they mentioned Shane's ex-cellmate being his accomplice? (The one holding the family hostage, I mean.) That seemed weird to me, since...well, if he's already out, why jeopardize that with a vengeance plan that's not even his, or anything about him? Presumably Shane had something on his ex-cellmate too, to make him cooperate, but I'm just guessing with that.