Grade 'Redemptio'

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Apr 14, 2010.

?

How would you grade Redemptio?

1. A+

10 vote(s)
    19.2%
  2. A

10 vote(s)
    19.2%
  3. A-

4 vote(s)
    7.7%
  4. B+

5 vote(s)
    9.6%
  5. B

3 vote(s)
    5.8%
  6. B-

5 vote(s)
    9.6%
  7. C+

2 vote(s)
    3.8%
  8. C

3 vote(s)
    5.8%
  9. C-

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

2 vote(s)
    3.8%
  12. D-

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  13. F

6 vote(s)
    11.5%
  1. Maya316

Maya316 Lab Technician

^ If Shane had been on death row, that would've explained not only his presence in that Pennsylvania prison, but also the "motive" he gave Hawkes for his actions (could be that he was desperate along with crazy).

But Shane mentioned having a cellmate at one point, and I'm pretty sure death-row inmates have solo cells.

2. CSI Cupcake

CSI Cupcake Police Officer

From what we've seen of this show once the bad guy is caught we don't get to see the trial and where they end up so could it be that one of the victims was from Pennsylvania and that is where they wanted the trial so that the death penalty was an option?

I didn't say this before but I also loved the team moment when they all talked about their troublesome siblings/families.

ETA: If you count backwards it was only 7 episodes ago that Danny's badge was stolen. It seems much longer because we have had 7 weeks of reruns interspersed with new episodes since January. Granted the term "few weeks" stretches it a bit but I'm sure he thought that sounded better than "several weeks" or "two months" ago. And he has used that phrase before in this season when he told Lindsay when he pulled his back...a few weeks ago when Flack and I were chasing Hollis Eckert.

Or maybe we can't assume that a week in the show is our week. I'm just glad he finally had to 'fess up.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2010
  3. CSI17

CSI17 Hit and Run

Well, I gave it an A.

Since I'm not too picky about it. I guess I was mostly just glad that they finally focused the spotlight and storyline to someone other than Stella. :lol: Don't get me wrong, Stella's great but I like seeing Dr. Hawkes get roughed up too. ;)

And yes, the "riot" didn't feel like a riot. I've seen a lot more convincing prison fights. That seemed tame to me. What was up with those inmates lying down at the end of the epi? Like they were tired or something. Pshh. I was expecting an all-night brawl or something close to that. A little violence couldn't hurt. :evil:;):devil:

But I am sooooo pissed at Shane Casey for escaping. :scream::scream: And those dumb SWAT guys who didn't have a clue that they were letting a killer loose just because he had a uniform on. Come on! He barely knew how to fight Tifford. A trained cop would have had more experience in subduing that guy. Why didn't the SWAT see that? They didn't even check for identification and all that crap. :scream::scream::scream:

I hate baddies winning. :shifty:

But I liked the episode, even if it made me yell at my laptop screen a few times. :lol:

I wonder who's character are they going to dive into next. I'm looking forward to Adam and his story. With his abusive father background, I'd like to see how that changed him. Flashbacks to his past. How cute would a baby Adam look like? ;)

4. Lori K.

Lori K. Pathologist

The episode was not that bad but I also have a few Irks...When Danny finally confessed to Stella about his badge I was ticked off at first that she did not lay into him,and also when it comes to rules she is quicker to overlook things and bend them a little more than Mac does, the moment made me feel like she was one of the co-workers with the "badge secret" instead of the boss but then I got to thinking maybe she did not want to embarrass him in front of his peers. When she reemed him over the "blue flu" it was at his house so I want to hope that either she planned to deal with it later OR choose the wiser step and back off and let Mac handle it because this is something way bigger then her reprimanding could excuse. My hope is at least we will still see Danny feel the wrath of Mac as someone said, Aiden got fired for admitting to thinking about tampering with evidence.:rolleyes: I still miss her by the way:( Oh yeah and the Shane Casey just walking away?:wtf: What? did he just walk on down the road like Noah from "The Grapes of Wrath"?:wtf:"I'm a gonna walk on down this here river":lol:

5. Curiosity

Curiosity Prime Suspect

It’s difficult to know where to start with this review. The episode had so many plotholes and logic flaws that it’s hard to take it seriously. Given the subject matter, I was expecting an intense episode with strong character moments but ended up with something leaning towards parody. I know that sometimes story elements (even implausible ones) are used to obtain certain outcomes, but too many of the decisions and actions taken by various characters in this episode seemed either shortsighted or simply foolish.

Why wouldn’t the lead SWAT negotiators establish direct communication with Sheldon once they realized he was on the inside with a phone and could move somewhat freely throughout the prison? Yes, Sheldon provided them with picture(s) of the melee in the common area, but after that, his focus shifted to Shane Casey and securing evidence to prove he was responsible for the guard’s death. If he’d spent time trying to provide useful intelligence to SWAT such as where all the guards and warden were being held, which areas were in chaos vs. relatively open, etc., maybe he could’ve helped them infiltrate the prison unobtrusively and quell the riot more quickly.

I realize that Mac and his team were acting as middlemen of sorts, but how did they actually help in the end? Apparently, they weren’t very successful in relaying Hawkes’ position (or appearance) or what had transpired re: Shane Casey. Otherwise, surely SWAT wouldn’t been more vigilant and not made the mistake of tagging Hawkes as a hostile while letting a serial killer go free. Of course, as others have pointed out, it seems a bit odd that the assault team would let anyone go on their merry way (no matter what they were wearing) without some type of identification and debriefing on what had happened during the riot. Didn’t they think it was suspicious that a policeman had managed to survive a riot like this one with a fairly clean uniform (NYPD, no less) and barely a scratch?

As for the CSI’s lab scenes, if there was ever a time to keep a few characters out of an episode, this was it. The script barely had enough meaningful activity and dialogue to go around – what little there was could’ve easily been handled by two or three characters. Instead, they had to divide the dialogue among six characters, which meant that at times some characters were left with single lines of somewhat superficial, almost trite dialogue.

Shane Casey was a bit disappointing as well and came off as more cartoonish than scary. It’ll be interesting to see what his next appearance(s) are like.

The storyline around Danny’s lost badge continues to be laughable. “Criminal Justice” was the first episode aired in January, and timing-wise, they still seemed to be in the winter season (e.g., the snow plow reference). And “Pot of Gold”, the St. Patrick’s Day episode, aired about a month ago. So it’s been a few months since Danny lost his badge, not a few weeks. What could Danny possibly have been waiting for? Was he seriously expecting the badge to somehow miraculously appear? And it’s not enough to have Lindsay and Flack complicit by their inaction, they have to drag Stella into it too. Not surprisingly, Mac still managed to escape the taint of this storyline, however, by conveniently managing to be out of the room during Danny’s confession.

Turning to the positive, I was glad to see Hawkes’ backstory expanded. I can see him as a prodigy who, upon gaining some success and moving in different circles, might’ve been disappointed and embarrassed by his sister’s lifestyle – eventually losing touch. It was nice to see him acknowledge the loss and also have a quiet moment at his sister’s grave in the end.

That’s about all I got for this one. I don’t think I’ve ever given an F grade to a NY episode and don’t want to start now. So I’ll call it a D and just move on.

6. Lime Sweet Pea

Lime Sweet Pea Dead on Arrival

I gave it a B+.

For me, the thing that made this epsiode was Hill Harper. He reminded me why I love him so much in the first place. He is probably the most underused character on the show and he still seems to be one of the strongest. I think the whole storyline was nice. The moments between him and Reggie were nice. I figured he would die in the end so I wasn't suprised.

The main thing that bothered me was the prison riot. It all seemed a little to easy. I mean, since when is it so easy to open the cells of a prison. I mean, really?

And maybe this is because I am a fan of the show Prison Break but the whole riot seemed a little too friendly to me. I mean, its like the rest of the prisoners weren't even there.

It was nice for the mention of Louie and Sam and such. But again, this whole badge thing is getting stupid. Its like, do we assume Mac knows or not?? :confused:

Anywho, I again applaud Hill Harper for a wonderful job. :thumbsup:

7. Elwood21

Elwood21 Pathologist

thanks Fwuzzfwuzz :p:)

I agree. I was also wondering what would finally prompt him to say anything.

I gotta say. I think that wee "non-verbal war" was among the least subtle things I've ever seen, but, the episode itself was filled to brimming with the patently ridiculous, so there it is. I guess I would also prefer Lindsay to have a non-verbal contribution to this so another mollifying point there :lol:. The fact there was NO reaction from Stella was mind-boggling, and I can only hope this is revisited in future. Even if Stella immediately computed that there were larger things afoot with an unresolved prison riot and colleague trapped within and larger consequences than she herself could reprimand him for, she coulda f*cking said something. Even if it was along the lines of "we've other things to attend to, but this is not over."

Just. Gah. :brickwall:

Ha, no worries atall atall :D;). It deserves to be aired now and then :lol:

I think I'd hafta keep my parameters limited, or at least rotate them, I couldn't afford to $ustain such a habit with all that at once :lol:

:lol: I wasn't saying they've actually learned how to use it, even if they've tried to embrace its power :lol: Some people never learn to drive standard, ya know? Mebbe there's a clutch they haven't found yet...

...aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand... this would be problematic ...why? :p

agree. and the more people bring up points about it all the more absurd it all becomes :lol:. Why Pennsylvania, why general population, why violent convicts are housed in a facility where one stray bullet can spring not just one cell but the whole prison, where a simple kick to a wall can reveal conveniently man-sized duct-work, and prison bars can be pried apart widely enough to escape thru with a little mustard and rechargeable batteries :lol:

I found it rather startling to realize what I was hearing, and contrived because *every* single relative/character that everyone's been wondering and commenting about was suddenly mentioned within a thirty-second window, where they'd not been mentioned at all for ages. Falls into the realm exemplified most extremely by Communication Breakdown, where, after years of eps being populated by mostly shiny, rich, white people and focusing mostly on crimes involving them, the episode stocked a subway car with myriad ethnicities and languages other than english. > It wouldn't stand out so glaringly if the show were simply a tad more consistent as they went along instead of saving it all up for what feel like periodic and belated acknowledgments :lol:.

I'm sorry, m'dear. Yet another one we see differently :p.

...erm...he didn't exactly confess. He was caught in a moment where if he didn't up and own it, it would have been far worse to have had it come to light from an outside source. Call that protecting your ass from the greater of consequences. Moreover, knowing that Stella had seen the glance, Danny knew that Lindsay was now doubly on the line for him, not just as an earlier confidant but now in circumstances that upped the ante. Eg. if he didn't speak it would put her on the spot, to make another choice of whether to say something or continue covering for him.

I swear, if either one are somehow painted as stalked victims and absolved of all responsibilities for their non-actions within this in the face of Shane's diabolical brilliance, I will throw something at my teevee. Or perhaps just my teevee.

they shoulda looked worse than guilty kids. Stella once made a housecall to Danny with the intent of ripping him one after he bailed on a crime scene during the Blu Flu, and left Hawkes hanging to fill in on a court appearance that ended poorly. Even though she toned down how she was going to say it (and in so doing demonstrated her inner conflict btw) she still gave him minor whutfer. That's an example of being both a friend and boss and speaking her mind. The fact she said nothing at all here, to me, is odd.

I have to assume that Mac now knows. Seeing as he knew about all the other details of the riot and warden & trooper's family etc by the time the ep ended.

If there isn't but one scene upcoming where Mac has something to say directly to Danny about the entire badge issue, I'm gonna figuratively drag each and every last one of them to the top of that bloody f*cking lighthouse and toss their respective asses off one by one and bounce their badges off whatever parts of them I can hit from there. I don't care if it's actually less than twenty feet up on a soundstage :lol:. That only means I can go down, haul them back up again, rinse and repeat until I'm too exhausted to continue, in which case I'm happy to use the skyjack I saw conveniently parked nearby in one of the other pics. It's okay. I have my ticket. I tell you I'll do it (*o my go0dness*).

:lol: :p. Okay. Fine. But bloody f*cking hell. :lol: For now my teevee off the balcony may hafta suffice.

In the immortal words of Mrs. Reisling, I beg to differ :p. I was so hoping Casey, and his material, would live up to what was established for him a few years ago. When I read he was being trotted out again this season, I wanted to be optimistic, but was fighting a kernel of warbled dread from the start. I was hoping against hope. Perhaps his next appearance, where he's not obliged to start out looking like a stoned unibomber and transition to an uber-ebil genius hopped up on red bulls and caf pow, will be better.

:lol:

Soooo. Um. Is Casey the Black Smoke? Trapped on Long Island and wanting to assume Messer's form? :p

...exactly :p

Agree. I never mentioned that I did actually like the rapport between the two of them.

...why let logic interfere with a perfectly good waste of time and battery life where Danny and Lindsay could interrogate Sheldon about his sister while he was at risk for life and limb mid-riot instead? :p

there you go, being all logical again :lol: that was among the most maddening aspects of the episode especially as it was so obvious how Messer's badge would figure into his escape, riot or not. Well, seeing as NY has such a plastic relationship with time, perhaps they've figured out even more complex things. Mebbe, just mebbe, they've gone into a multi-verse realm. Mebbe in NY's world there would be no incongruities with two Danny Messers running about; one a CSI, the other a patrol cop, one without a badge, one with. How many did Adam say there were, btw? Mebbe they planted the seeds of this all loooooong ago... :lol:. Sorry. But the plotholes of the arc revealed in the latest installement of an ep I'd been so looking forward to and now faced with a fortnight of reruns, well, whatever. NY is ...it's... causing a :brickwall:/:guffaw: discombobulation. It's absurd. It's amusing. It hurts. And it's exasperating.

:lol: Danny went from paralyzed to walking with Lucy in four episodes. In twice as many episodes, crossing one with a cultural mark of chronology in St. Patrick's Day no less, we're now told it's only been a coupla weeks since his badge was stolen :lol:.

I really really really really (really) hope the writers have some form of reckoning coming. And Carmine. Poor guy. He's always said he's the utility guy. But how his character's been twisted and folded to fit into each week's little box of absurdity is worse than a bag of pretzels.

I'm still working on the tardis theory. Another growing suspicion is that there's an internal game of capture the flag roving in the writers's room. The prize being control of a MIB Neuralizer. I think they think they've managed to flash the viewers with it during the fade to black whereupon they attempt to implant ludicrous rationalizations of ludicrous plot and continuity issuez. ...I think they keep forgetting to put on their sunglasses.

Anyways. Was gonna grade this. Meh. Shouldna left that after all. Now I'm remembering all the silly stuff and the memorable, deeper stuff, is proving less resonating. That's a problem for a teevee show. Call it a C- then. Sheldon's stuff elevated it, and it was a fun if eyerolling hour to watch, but general absurdities and Casey sucked it back down. C- is where it's levelled out. It hurts that an hour surrounding my boy Hawkes has wound up scoring among the lowest of eps I've bothered to grade all season.

8. flying mouse

flying mouse Witness

I gave up logic and consistency. :lol: What bothers me now is like this.

Mac: It's consistent with cyanide poisoning.
    Hawkes: Yeah, acute toxicity.

It's like Lindsay's 'GSR is 'Gun Shot Residue' comment from the last episode.

CSI NY wasn't like this. What happened? :wtf:

9. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

^ i've been wondering the same. hence my "project" to go through all the other seasons in order (again) to try to work out what went wrong and where. hmm....

exactly....

:D

good point, also much as i could've handled that 10 or even 5 years ago, now i'd be in a constant state of migraine (from the alcohol *and* the inconsistencies) so it might be dangerous :lol:

maybe none of them have ever driven stickshift before. they need someone british to remind them how it's done. like the doctor. or me.

oh, it wouldn't per se, i'm just disturbed by my agreeability in general.

absolutely - trying to shoehorn in a reminder that they're aware of these things every now and then doesn't constitute narrative coherence, it just seems like tokenism.

can i join you?! :lol:

indeed. considering *we* all worked out that casey would use the stolen badge to try to make a getaway, why couldn't they? they're meant to be the detectives, and we're meant to be the amateurs. bizarre.

you also just used my 2nd favourite word ever :D keep going!

agreed on both counts - how on earth danny's got away with this (seemingly) is beyond me, and how lindsay and flack have got away with their "help" in the situation is too, stella's reaction was a total non event, even if there were more pressing matters at hand. and the chronology is just bonkers.

:lol::lol::lol:

10. Grissom rules

Grissom rules CSI Level Two

I gave it an A+.

Definitely the best episode of the season and one of the best ever made.

Hawkes' character is my favorite and the develepment he had in the episode was great!!

This season is one of my least favorite,but this episode is a huge improvement over the previous weeks!!

And yeah...Shane Casey is out of prison!What else can you ask as the season is coming to a close?
    The only bad thing is that we have to wait until May for the new episodes.

11. Maya316

Maya316 Lab Technician

Exactly :lol: I get how much they have to fit into 45 minutes (or so), but a simple explanation for why Shane was in Pennsylvania would've been great. Honestly, it's just that line they said about him having a former cellmate (the one who helped him kidnap that prison-guard's family) that's bugging me...without that cellmate, I could easily have assumed Shane Casey was there because he was on death row. Which would've explained both his motive and his behaviour much more.

...LOL, I just made that connection about "Communication Breakdown" :guffaw:

And yeah, I guess I can see how that scene might come off as the writers just throwing the fans a bone. But in the context of the scene and the episode, it made sense that those relations might come up when they hadn't in a while -- because that scene was all about the relatives they'd rather keep quiet about, but hadn't to the same extent as Hawkes. Possibly because Hawkes's shame-relative was dead, and theirs weren't [with the now-likely exception of Louie... and I guess for all we know, Adam's dad]. After all, Flack didn't mention a sister until Sam turned up in a case; Adam's dad came up when he was asked a question he couldn't answer honestly without mentioning his dad (which, incidentally, was the same way Hawkes's sister came up to the others). Danny's the only one who'd opened up about his brother before Louie showed up in a case -- and said so: "When I had Louie, I was always upfront about him". But then, if Louie is dead (to be fair, he could just still be in a coma), that might explain why Danny hasn't mentioned him in a while. Like Lindsay said, wanting to bury the past.

Anyway, back to my original point :lol:; I'd've had more of a problem if Flack, Adam, and Danny had gone on to explain things about these siblings, but they just casually mentioned them. From that scene, a casual viewer would have no idea why Sam wasn't a picnic, or why Danny wouldn't be upfront about Louie, or why Adam wouldn't like talking about his dad.

The chronology is nuts, I definitely agree :lol: But at the same time, I agree with CSI_Cupcake: a "few weeks" covers a really broad range -- certainly enough to encompass the seven episodes since "Criminal Justice" and now, and we were given the chronology by Danny, who might want to downplay how long it's been. I'm expecting (demanding :p) to see the fallout for everyone involved -- it doesn't make sense for Stella not to have started hurling things or told Mac immediately, I agree with everyone who said that. That's now over half the team complicit in this :scream: On a realistic crime show, this would probably bring in the higher-ups (like Sinclair or Gillian). Since Stella didn't give us the reaction I was looking for, I'll settle for seeing what happens when she does tell Mac.

12. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

^ well i hope we do get to see that. and i also hope mac has a go at her for not telling him sooner. admittedly she's not known as long as lindsay and flack, but she really should've said something asap.

13. Curiosity

Curiosity Prime Suspect

:lol: That scene was actually pretty funny in an unintentional sort of way. Hawkes is stuck in the middle of a prison riot and Danny and Lindsay are playing twenty questions about his sister...:rolleyes:

:lol: That would explain a lot. Seriously, I do try to cut the show some slack on some of plotholes, inconsistencies, etc. because I know they sometimes have to take shortcuts to make a premise work in the space of a single episode. But there are times, when a plothole or logic flaw is so toxic to me that it taints the entire episode. In this case, I simplly could not buy into the notion of Hawkes chasing around after Shane Casey instead of trying to assist the SWAT team in ending the riot.

I'd love to see Mac's reaction as well, but unfortunately, I think that any scene showing Mac finding out about the badge is going to to be anticlimactic and look even more ridiculous at this point. I agree with Elwood21 in that I'm assuming at this point that Mac knows about the badge. If he knows the circumstances around Shane Casey's escape, I don't see how they could avoid telling Mac that Shane had a badge and escaped by identifying himself as Officer Danny Messer. But we'll see. Stranger things have certainly happened on this show....

14. calleighspeedle

calleighspeedle Coroner

What I found interesting in this episode is that no one in the lab knew Hawkes had a sister and all the while Lindsay & Danny are asking questions about her.

I liked it very much well acted.

15. MacsLady

MacsLady CSI Level Two

I give the episode an B+. Would have been an A, or even an A-, even with the ginormus plot holes, except for that badge scenario. Ugh. I'm really, really hoping that, seeing how Danny's become part of the DannyLindsay character he and Lindsay seem to have merged into, he won't start getting the same special treatment, or at least lack of much needed bollockings, that we've seen Lindsay get in the past, from Mac, like when she walked off crime scenes/away from evidence etc.
    I really hope that the reason Stella didn't lay into Danny are the ones Lori suggests here:
    It could also be possible that if Mac does know, he didn't give Danny the bollocking he deserved this episode - perhaps Danny's f**k-up here is so huge that even Mac has to pass it on to his superiors (though I am hoping for a Mac bollocking, Danny's actions not only reflect badly on the whole team, and especially Mac as leader, because whether he now knows or not, it's going to be him who will have to clean up Danny's mess, most likely, and handle any questions of culpability/responsibility on Danny's part for Shane's possible future evil-doings, but, y'know, the entire city could be at risk - Whackjob Out of Jail is bad enough, but Whackjob with a Police Badge? Baaaaaaaaaaad.)
    I can see Stella wanting to protect Danny to some extent, and yes, they are close and she is a 'Mommy Stella' figure to Danny, but here Danny needs a bollocking more than he needs protecting/sympathy, and given that we know Stella isn't hesitant to dish out such bollockings to Danny (like in the blue flu thing), it's very OOC for her not to say anything at all to Danny, and certainly for her not to say anything to Mac, if he still doesn't know. Loyalty is one thing, but when there's a crazy murdering bast*rd loose on the streets with a police badge, she needs to tell Mac.

I thought the end scene (where they all hug Hawkes) was sweet, but cheesy, but it was sweet. Interesting that Mac wasn't present for either of the big team scenes (the badge scene, and the welcoming Hawkes back scene) it made the nice point that he is the boss and he does have responsibilities that are separate to the team and that he has to deal with by himself.

Otherwise, great episode, I especially liked that Hawkes finally got a chance to shine, and we saw several different aspects of his character/emotions - sad, angry, scared, etc, and learned such an important thing from his past.

Shane Casey is an evil, crazy little f**er, and I hope he dies soon. Also, he looked like Yeti Man at the start!

Prison riot - not as scary as it could have been.

Lindsay apparantly never got those pics of Hawkes and Reggie sent to the cops on the scene, and did no one think to send a pic of Casey as well?

Loved Mac and Flack in this ep, as someone else said, they often seemed to be the only ones doing anything.

The 'sibling stories' scene - nice on continuity and raising the issue of how we all hide things from our past (which Mac and Stella have done too, even though they weren't there) but it felt awkward too for some reason.

Good episode, let down by huge plot holes, and the badge thing. I just hope the lack of reaction on that was deliberate, and Danny will get his comeuppance on that later, 'cause otherwise, it's just sloppy writing.