Grade 'Redemptio'

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Apr 14, 2010.

?

How would you grade Redemptio?

1. A+

10 vote(s)
    19.2%
  2. A

10 vote(s)
    19.2%
  3. A-

4 vote(s)
    7.7%
  4. B+

5 vote(s)
    9.6%
  5. B

3 vote(s)
    5.8%
  6. B-

5 vote(s)
    9.6%
  7. C+

2 vote(s)
    3.8%
  8. C

3 vote(s)
    5.8%
  9. C-

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

2 vote(s)
    3.8%
  12. D-

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  13. F

6 vote(s)
    11.5%
  1. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

Hawkes finds himself in hot water in tonight's new episode! Give it a watch and let us know what you think. :cool:

2. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

Wait...they expect me to buy that "Criminal Justice" (and Danny's badge being stolen) only happened a few weeks ago? :wtf:

And Danny tells Stella...and she's just like 'oh, darn.' :rolleyes:

3. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

So . . . Shane Casey has become a "Batman" (the TV show, not the movies) villian. :rolleyes:

But :guffaw:at Harrold Perrinau's :wtf: face at Shane Casey's crazy ass.

I can't believe they are wasting Harrold Perrinau and Hill Harper's talents for a crap episode like this.

ETA: This episode was so ridiculous I don't even have the words to express how I feel right now.

Grade: F

ETA2: The gang fight in Michael Jackson's "Beat It" video was more convincing than the prison riot.

ETA3: I really did like the idea of the story with Hawkes and the prisoner who killed his sister and Hill and Harold knocked their performances out of the park. It's just a shame that it was so utterly and completely overshadowed by alll of the other nonsense in the episode. :(

Last edited: Apr 15, 2010
  4. roximonoxide

roximonoxide Lab Technician

Well... lots of things to think about. Others I'd rather not.

But the main thing sticking in my head right now is Danny's line:

"When I had Louie, I was always up front about him."

Thanks writers, I guess that answers my question. Jerks. :shifty:

5. Half

Half CSI Level Two

~ Hawkes is like "I.... do not have a badge."
    ~ Let yourself go a little, Shane?
    ~ Don't piss off a guy that knows a hundred ways to kill you.
    ~ "Yeah. Me. But I wasn't factoring in a prison riot."
    ~ Cellphones work in brick buildings?
    ~ Hey, he got a haircut.
    ~ Because sometimes people have secrets. I'm a Criminal Minds fan, so trust me. I know.
    ~ That's probably painful.
    ~ What is this, continuity story time?
    ~ Aw.

6. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

I'm not sure how I feel about this episode. On the one hand, it had its good moments, and it was nice to see a story focusing on Hawkes and his personal life. On the other hand...there were parts that were pretty dang ridiculous. I dunno, I'm split on it right now.

A bit of continuity about Louie, Sam and Adam's dad is great and all - and I know I've been clamoring for even a single line, so I can't complain - but this is in the same episode where I'm supposed to buy that Danny's badge was stolen only a few weeks ago, and nobody throws a shitfit when they find out Danny's been keeping that a secret? What the hell? They did something awesome by giving us a bit of continuity and then turned right around and totally distracted me with stuff that makes no sense at all. *siiiiigh*

Also, and I know this is nitpicky, but damn this show is bad with timelines. Hawkes' sister was born in 1971, and in those pictures it was obvious that she was at least a few years older than him - so how old is the good doctor supposed to be? *sigh* Timelines are not NY's strong suit.

Good acting from Hill and Harold, although I'm still a bit reluctant to be thrilled with the idea of tossing the only minority character into the middle of a prison riot - and this is the second time he has ended up in a prison uniform. Thanks, Shane Casey, for making sure the black guy was stuck in jail again. /sarcasm :rolleyes:

So yeah, I'm not sure how I feel about the episode yet... :confused:

7. CSI Cupcake

CSI Cupcake Police Officer

At the point where the CSI's, led by MightyMac, decided to break Hawkes out of jail, I decided that the show had breached the plane of the ridiculous. I will watch again in the morning before forming a final opinion but at this point I don't think it will change much.

8. roximonoxide

roximonoxide Lab Technician

I hear you Fay. There's a lot here to be thankful for, and this show makes me count my blessings carefully, but there was a fair bit of detriment too. For starters I'm just happy to have a story be about Sheldon for a change. The man's only been here since the get go and is just now getting some solid backstory.

I just have to say though, I feel like I saw the budget cuts in this one. Prison riot? Please. I've seen floor parties scarier than that. Maybe they should have put the royalties for the Ozzy song into paying for a few more extras or something instead, because I was not feelin' that mob.

9. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

^ i totally agree about the riot/mob/royalties equation, i've also seen parties wilder than that!

i only really have initial thoughts too. overall i actually quite enjoyed it, it was pretty silly in parts but i quite liked the fact that it was out of the lab and doing something totally different for a change, and i loved hawkes and reggie's little double act.

also, i really like shane casey - i do love a good, really deranged villain and he's shaping up quite well for that. i don't like when recurring villains are just, y'know, a bit annoying. i like it when they come complete with evil cackle.

on the more irritating side - i agree with everything about the time line and continuity - when i saw "1971" i boggled quite a bit, and it bothered me that we'd never heard a damn thing about hawkes' sister ever before, but i suppose at least they bothered to explain that.

the bit where they all sat around playing "i have a more crap relative than you" was clearly meant to show (a) that the team empathise with eachother and (b) that they have remembered their backstories but it kinda fell flat.

the ending was the cheesiest thing since mac & sid played football in the street.

and WHY didn't mac have a massive dressing down for danny over the badge issue? granted he wasn't in the room when danny came clean (finally) but you'd think that stella might think to tell him, no? also, when stella found out and it was patently obvious that lindsay and flack knew already, why did she just shrug? wtf? if *nearly* tampering with evidence was a sackable offence for aiden, why is losing and not reporting lost your badge not the same for danny? i'm not saying i want him to be fired, but he should at least get a serious telling off.

of course, it may be that no one's told mac yet - after all there was no mention of it at the end. when mac said shane was still in the wind, i was thinking someone would say "and he's using danny's badge" but no one said anything - surely they need that information to be attached to the broadcasts out to all PDs to keep an eye out for this guy? which would also mean that mac would have to know, both as boss, and from the point of view of giving correct info to relevant parties.

i am just really really hoping that mac finds out and gives danny a yelling at like he's never had before, otherwise it'll make that entire storyline utterly stupid.

having made all those complaints, i still, perversely i guess, actually quite enjoyed it, it was a fun ep and a bit different from the usual. and i loved that we got mac saying "we have to break hawkes out of prison", that was a good line :)

i'm not going to grade it til i've had a chance to watch again and make a more reasoned judgement...

10. Maya316

Maya316 Lab Technician

Enjoyed this episode a lot. That's pretty much all I have to say. Or not, there are a few minor quibbles: there was action and suspense and team moments and personal moments all around, which was kind of fabulous, but except for Hawkes's one little MacGyver moment, there wasn't even a hint of forensics...and to be honest, it's just not CSI without the forensics. It's not. Plus, the first scenes of the prison riot looked very staged (the later scenes were okay, though). And Shane having Danny's badge is a non-issue now? Finally, things toward the end wrapped up a little too neatly (they saved the prison guard's family and arrested Shane's accomplice, just like that; we don't even know who the guy was, let alone how Shane got him to help, or why he won't be squealing all of Shane's secrets/plans within the next few days...)

But if the finale plays out this well I could enjoy it. I figured there was no way this episode would live up to all the hype, but I think it's easily on par with Snow Day -- as far as suspense and intensity go, anyway -- and certainly one of (if not the) best from this season. The focus on Hawkes was great, spent half the ep being terrified and sympathetic for him, even though I knew there literally was no way anything seriously horrible would be happening to him. His scenes were made of win. I knew Reggie was going to die, but it was an upsetting irony when he did. Shane Casey/Edward Furlong played everything brilliantly, imo. Also, they managed to do the same thing they did last week with Stella -- focus on one character, but still manage to fit in the good team moments. Seriously hoping the trend continues, I have a lot of favourite moments from this episode. Grading it with an A-.

Extra minor quibble: not only am I wondering why New York perps/criminals are being held in Pennsylvania (?), but I'm also wondering why Mac or NYPD have any jurisdiction there. Enough to be able to get blueprints and whatnot.

11. Geeno

Geeno Pathologist

I actually like this episode a lot. This episode is dedicated to answer some of the questions left behind this season. It's well written. Throughout the episode, I have questions popping in my mind and they were answered.

Thank goodness, the team isn't in the front line of investigation/action. I thought they forgot about jurisdiction. :) Well, it's natural for them to help Hawkes break out of the prison since they're very good friends and colleagues. I think many in the police force will do the same to save one of their own facing trouble.

Hawkes' sister wasn't just pulled out of thin air. It's his big secret that nobody knows.

Nice continuation on Sam, Louie, and Adam's dad. Hope to know them more next season especially Adam's dad and back story.

So Shane Casey just escaped out of the prison. I thought on "Flag On The Play" that Casey had superpowers to escape again and stole Danny's badge. He has an accomplice. There goes another set of questions but I hope they will be answered in the upcoming episodes.

A great episode! :thumbsup: A very nice combination of CSI/Prison Break. It's a better match than let's say CSI/Medium/Ghost Whisperer. Just kidding. :lol: A+ :)

12. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

I liked this episode for the most part. It was so much better than Miami the other night.

Only two things really irked me: Stella had a non-reaction to Danny admitting his badge was stolen a while back and he didn't bother reporting it. And Mac still is unaware? Second thing: When the realized that Shane might be involved, why the heck didn't all the cops on the swat team have a pic of him? That way they would know it was him in the uniform.

I knew Hawkes in the jumpsuit was gonna be an issue toward the end and that the cops outside would think he was an inmate.

Before Shane shaved, he looked like Grizzly Adams Jr. :lol:

One more thing: Did they ever say whether or not Hawkes got Casey's people away from that guard's family? I didn't hear all of the end because some family members came over.

13. Jade_Nolan

Jade_Nolan CSI Level One

agreed!! so here's my initial first reaction:

loved it, right up until sheldon walked back into the lab.... don't even get me going on the 'shoebox' end!! not only was it the cheesiest end imaginable, but if the idea of sheldon being reconciled to the memory of his dead sister is given credence, the execution of it was poor beyond words....:shifty:

which leads me into how i think the ep should have ended. if we grant that mac happened to be out of the room when danny finally spilled the beans and still didn't know about it, when he's going on at the end about getting Shane's pic out and tracking him down etc etc...

Adam: *nervously raises hand to ear level* uh, boss....? actually, he's uh, he's got *gestures and shuffles* his..you know.... his..badge...and, uh yeah....
    Mac: *whips around with 'that' look on his face and deadly quiet and furious* What?!!
    THE END :D

haha, and then we'd get to look forward to a good old fashioned and very well deserved furious mac explosion towards danny!! :D oh, and lindsey too since she is as equally culpable in the coverup.... stupid messers!!!:rolleyes::lol:

and now since i got my main points out of the way, here were my in-ep rambling points from the beginning..

- A butterfly needle?! Seriously?!! is that what they use?! i highly doubt it...:shifty:

- *coughcough* *chokechoke* "he's dead"... hmm, least effort ever to save a cardiac arrest victim i've ever seen from the med profession.... but oh well, it's tv!!

- "it's bright red blood" - no s**t sherlock!!! :lol:

- WOOHOO!! All hell breaks loose!!

- Oooooh, Sheldon can fight!!! sweet!!

- danny, seriously?! You’re badge was stolen a few weeks ago, and you’ve obviously not told anybody except flack and the only reaction from everybody is, "huh!"

- Hand on shoulder, yeah yeah we know…. oh and btw, you’re complicit too Lindsey in this badge issue since you didn't report it either

- Ok, so at least we’re not the only ones who didn’t know about his sister….
    oh my dear lord, was ever a scene so contrived to include everybody and their relative?!! literally in this case!! :lol: and lindsey's line............

- Yeeeeeeeeeeeah, ‘there’s not much acid in one of these’, I don’t think there’s any way there’s enough to do anything

- Reggie makes a good point, that would an awfully small space!!! :D

- *feels vindicated*

- shoot, it worked....

- hahaha, that’s it reggie, make sheldon stop using med speak. Even dr in rl don't talk like that!!

- Ooooo, mad flack.... well, sorta mad flack.. he should've let danny have it!! :D

- Why the yelling, WHY?!!!!! Stupid people, don’t you know it only alerts the criminals?!!

- oh well, i suppose we all knew reggie had to die in the ep somehow...

*shoebox ending* ............ *shudder*

and finally, while i don't think there was enough mac, he was brilliant!!! :D

14. Geeno

Geeno Pathologist

Mac said the guard's family was already safe.

Maybe the local police didn't know Casey was involved and would escape. It all happened too fast plus the CSIs were in a separate investigation.

15. Messers fan

Messers fan Rookie

Well when I read the first post I thought it should be worse but I enjoyed it, but what the hell Danny didn't report his stolen badge and no one has something to say about that:wtf::wtf:

We've got some infos in this one :)

- Casey is more insane and scary than ever and when I heard the reason why he killed the gard, waoh... I really thought " Danny is the Target "

- I think we won't see Louis again as Danny says "I had Louie" meaning he is probably dead now.

not great but good put a B- just because the first fighting scene was like a boy scout camp joking together :lol::lol: