World Politics

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Jacquie, Jan 28, 2010.

1. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

yeah i wasn't surprised the republicans all went against - it fits, i guess.

i'm pleased it's gone through - the only thing is i wish they'd allowed for the abortion amendments to pass; hell, the republicans were gonna vote against it anyway right, so it wouldn't have made that much difference :lol:

2. Destiny

Destiny Still Sanity Challenged! Premium Member

I am not for or against when it comes to abortions, I am on the fence, and on that fence I do agree with one thing, if your having them as a form of birth control thats wrong imo and shouldn't be allowed (which it isn't), but if it's in the event of harm to the life of the mother, incest or rape then it should be allowed or optional (every person is different).

Repubs argued it was all about the cost, when it was really all about the language of the abortion law, the Potus signs an exeutive order keeping intact the abortion law as it has been, and they are well he can do that, then undo that to appease someone, WTH okay then I doubt it but if they think so.

After the first vote they went to debate again before the next vote I tell you I do not agree nor do I like the fact that someone, be it from the gallery or one of the members shouted to Stupak "Baby killer" that was way out of line.

Some are saying it's a catch 22, if you want to employ people you can't because of insurance costs, if you want insurance they are saying they can't hire people because of the cost.
    Now While I get what they are saying, I believe they said the next big thing they are working on is going to be the Jobs front, the problem is which one went first. Course that will cost to much and the wording will be wrong, and so and so should be fired (ie steele wants Nancy P fired).

The only time the parties get along is when they are playing football, basketball, etc. I love how you hear the different parties say we respect the Pres, we respect the other party, yadda yadda, blah blah. Put them in a debate and BAM everyone is a SOB. :lol: I am sorry for laughing but its true. If you don't agree with so and so, your a rotten piece of trash, a day or two later they are best of friends. *shakes head*

The protesters though are really getting out of hand, spitting on a rep, calling one the "F" word others the "N" word, now the repubs denounce it then you have the idiot yelling at stupak, or how about the one that yelled to the Pres that "you lie", good lord have mercy.
    Not to mention the IA Rep King calling for a Velvet Revolution Against The Government - this led to people (ie Reps and pres) on some message boards calling for shooting people. Heck look at some of the signs I saw one that said to the effect "If you don't stop this [picture of gun] This will". I am sorry but really for peaceful people that isn't peaceful imo.

JMO

3. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

Actually putting the order in on the abortions would've made a difference. There were more Democrats who were going to vote against the bill without it and the chances it wouldn't have passed were greater. They only needed 38 Democrats to vote against the bill to kill it and even with the order on the abortions 34 still voted against it.

4. Destiny

What I was saying is that they made one excuse after another as to the reason its [the bill] a problem. The abortion part, the cost, they used "as instead of "and". or "and" instead of "if", someone's using the wrong type fiber in the morning lol. No matter which side there was always a problem.

As to the abortion part, you have some that don't want any part of funding to go to abortion (ie mothers life, rape or incest) then you have some that say no we should have this in there, this and that basically, there are some issues where a there are more fights then any other issue, but geez they need to all lighten up and remember with civility comes a day of sunshine. Okay that was corney. ;)

But I am not even sure they know anymore what they are for or against in the bill they have been arguing so much and calling names and honestly they need to grow up. They say to call your reps office and tell them how you feel, one of my friends did, she was for it, she was told he was voting no so she shouldn't have wasted her time, so she responded with then I won't waste my time voting for the *****/*****/****** next time. :lol: (I am not repeating that part of what she said), then her kids got into an argument and she sets them in the corner (not really a corner and they can look out the window into the pretty back yard garden lol) thats when I said if they [the politicans] can't play nice and try and get along, then they should go sit in the corner [minus window and pretty view] until they learn to. They may never move from there but at least it might serve as an example. :lol: JMO

5. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

I hope this isn't reduntant, but [​IMG] to our President Barack Obama on his first real victory since becoming president. He's done this historical fete and never wavered or got lost in the shuffle, but stayed steadfast. It's for the Americans benefit, not his. I hope this will put to rest any furthur dismal comments, but the Republicans will continue to be naysayers, although they never came up with any thing better. On the abortion issue, I'll keep my ideas to myself on this one. He won and good for him:bolian:

HEALTH CARE REFORM PASSED

6. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

oh yeah, i know, i just wish it wasn't the case. it bothers me a LOT. whether abortion is right or not should be down to one person and one person alone: the pregnant woman. it seems such a shame that so many political types are so keen to dictate what a woman should do with her own body. and they're usually the same types that deplore interventionist government. the hypocrisy makes me sick.

7. PerfectAnomaly

I'm watching some of the Senate session about the Health Care Bill on CNN.com and I have to say I'm appalled by our process. I can't believe the minority is allowed to use such blatant stall tactics when it's obvious they don't have the votes to change anything in the bill. One minority Senator just announced a proposed amendment that had to do with gay marriage in Washington, D.C. What the hell does that have to do with the Health Care Bill? But as soon as the majority spokesperson says exactly that they have to go to a vote on if it pertains or not. It's just stupid. The American people are not being served by this joke of a process. Oh, and they're on proposed amendment #23 of an unknown number. All of them have been rejected by the exact same margin of votes, but they have to continue until all of them are voted on. And the Republicans want to stop and reconvene later today and also lump in other legislation into the session so they can draw it out even longer. What a bunch of bull shit. And I'm not completely behind or against the bill. I just think the process needs to be better.

8. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

^ yeah, i agree. our parliament has a lot of flaws but generally the votes are quick and decisive. although the party whips need to get their noses out!

9. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

I feel the Republicans are so out of line and it's getting dangerous and nasty, they never had anything better to offer and their so adamant, about how 'horrible this is', and swearing and cussing, and egging peoples houses and calling people horrible names and not changing something that was 'passed' by the majority, in a poll today it had a poll stating that 50% of Americans were for this, so all the naysayers need to get a grip and deal with something that most Americans want, and give it a rest:(Our president did this to help people, whats he getting out of this? nothing, so shut the F up~

10. Ducky

Ducky Master of the Moos Moderator

Well, everyone has their opinions and it's their freedom just like you have your opinions. If they'd agree with Democrats, wouldn't they be betraying their voters?

If 50% are behind this, doesn't that mean other half is against so how can you say "the most of americans"?

And with the system like US has (two parties) something like this isn't any surprising for me.
    I wonder what democrats did when Republicans had the power...
    not that I'd agree with Republicans politics :p

And yes, I am pissed off stunts that Coalition party pulls sometimes, or social democrats but it's them and they do it to get people behind them, so they'd have support behind them.

Thank god we have several parties in Parliament. It would be so sad if there was only social democrats and coalition party (conservatives).

And there are people in my country who dare to complain about healthcare because "our kid had to wait for 2h to get to see a doc!"

11. Destiny

I am tired of the violence and threats to both parties, I don't know who is more responsible for "fanning the flames" (I posted a link to just one now considered little example above) but it doesn't help with either side does it. If you want to diss each other do it from the camera's, but when you open your mouth with the purpose to go after one set or another then your partly at least responsible especially if you know that its gas on a fire. As to Cantor who said basically putting it in the media, heck the media could get that from anyone, sneaky little...... I'll let you finish that sentence in your head lol.

What gets me, with so many people out of work (and the majority of them not by choice) and are having problems finding work especially in my area, you have to travel up to 60 miles to find one. which doesn't pay because of gas prices. But there is another Republican blocking the extended unemployment benefits, as they tried before.

During that Senate debate or whatever you want to call it, several democrates had committee meetings (one on national security) that they couldn't get to because they enacted a rule that made them basically stay there and debate. Which would be one thing but from what I understand both sides were made to stay and that basically closed out everything else going on in washington.

The thing that just gets me is all this bickering, withholding, etc because one side did this or that, is taking up the time that could be used to help the people, and get more work done, one side saying if you do this, you won't get anything from us in the future, and the other side, if you do that, then you won't get anything from us in the future..

These are the times I wish that Ted Kennedy was still around (his personal past excluded from this) not because of the seat going to a republican (or because he was a democrate), but because he had a way when the two sides were arguing, of telling them, knock it off your acting like children and they all had enough respect for him to stop and listen at least. They need another person (actually one on both sides) that can do that, and then maybe something would get done, besides news bites and pointing the finger, imagine getting something done on time for the people, that doesn't incurre as much violence as there has been.

12. Ajbuckly

Ajbuckly Lab Technician

I think as an European it is surprising to "see" the deepth of anger people in US has as to the health bill. But I didn´t know the rights of gay´s and abortion was a part of the bill which IMO would cause anger in many parts of the world. So why is so many topics part of the bill? Why is the bill not "just" the right to medic care for all? Abortion is still in chatolic(?spelling)countries a dangerous topic. So why not adopt the Irsh system and fright for abortion later?

Last edited: Mar 26, 2010
  13. PerfectAnomaly

President Obama signed an executive order stating that no Federal funds will be made available for abortions, so that's one concession he did make.

The thing I don't understand about our government is that anything can be shoved into any bill. The Health Care Bill also had a section about Pell grants for low income students that had to be taken out because the wording made it so it would be funded even if there wasn't funding available or something like that. That's why the bill had to back to the House to be debated and voted on again. I don't know the details, but it made me go :wtf: that there was something about college funding in a health care bill. Pretty much every amendment the Republicans tried to pass in the Senate to stall the vote or kill the bill had absolutely nothing to do with health care. I've never been a very political person, but I watched a fair amount of the House and Senate debates and voting on the Health Care Bill and it was an eye opening experience for me.

14. Ajbuckly

Ajbuckly Lab Technician

Now see....I am uncertain as to posting or multiqouting your post.

But do you have any sense as to lobbisme as to the health bill?

lisasimpson and Ducky Seeing as 80 % of European Law is determinded by the EU are we past National goverment or .....? Looking at Greece are we regression to Nationalism or will we move on unified?

15. Jacquie

Jacquie Ward Girl Moderator

You may want to have a look see at this that was posted in the QSF section. It hopefully will help you for using the 'quote' and 'multi quote' options.

I do have to wonder what Gay Rights has to do with Medic Care. Mind you I'm all in favour of Gays having the same rights as heterosexuals but still :confused:

I also wonder what all the backlash is about in the US with regards to the Bill. Isn't Freedom of Speech on of your fundamental rights :confused: Isn't everyone allowed a say even if you don't agree with what is said. I just find that some people take their own beliefs to the extreme and aren't willing to listen to what others have to say which is very sad in this day and age.