The Fan Art Forum Guide - Rules/Tuts./Questions *updated 10-05

I looked at the LJ links and they're all for icons (pretty much just coloring). I thought I had one for WPs bookmarked, but I guess not. here's a link to the search I did on DA for wallpaper tuts. Hopefully you can find one in there that you like. :)

Got a tutorial, it's not a CSI related one but it's a tutorial nonetheless.
Go from
th_tumblr_kujkn6Mg7Z1qascodo1_500_larg.jpg
to
th_tutorialpart2.png

Program: Photoshop CS3
Uses: Selective Colouring, Levels, Hue/Saturation etc.
Skill Level: Easy/Moderate (Basic knowledge of Photoshop Required)

here.

I'm looking for tutorials for Photoshop Elements 6. I'd like specifically something for coloring. I know Elements is missing some of the effects that Photoshop has for that, but it still has quite a few that I think should be helpful...if only I could figure out how to do it. ;)

Thanks!

I'm looking for tutorials for Photoshop Elements 6. I'd like specifically something for coloring. I know Elements is missing some of the effects that Photoshop has for that, but it still has quite a few that I think should be helpful...if only I could figure out how to do it. ;)

Thanks!

I'd recommend starting here -- http://community.livejournal.com/icon_tutorial/1027451.html. Icon_tutorial has everything. Really everything, almost to a frightening degree. It's wonderful. ;)

I'd recommend starting here -- http://community.livejournal.com/icon_tutorial/1027451.html. Icon_tutorial has everything. Really everything, almost to a frightening degree. It's wonderful. ;)

Frightening indeed! :lol: There sure is a lot of stuff there! It looks like a great reference tool. I searched around tho and couldn't find anything for Elements. All PS. *sigh*

I really want to figure out how to do more with my icons, and I've played around with the color settings on Elements, but honestly I don't know what looks "good" and what doesn't, because whenever I see the voting in some of the art challenges, I usually don't agree with what most people seem to like. :) Personal preferences, I guess, but I'd still like to learn how to do something different with mine.

Thanks!

Here's a link with some tutorials and techniques

Here's a free download that might help. You might need an a program to unstuff it.

If I find some more, I'll post them here.

Thanks, Speedy! I had found those links as well. From what I could see, they mostly deal with the regular photo fixing features, which I'm pretty comfortable with, but I'll check them out again and see if anything helps. :)

I have a tutorial, I hope it's fine to put it here :)

Danny and Lindsey Coloring Tutorial:

Go From This:
55l83o.jpg
to This:
2llkj5u.jpg

* Made with Photoshop CS4*

1) Start with a plain white background sized 100x100 in pixels
2) Crop your image to your liking.
3) Create a Curves Layer:
- RGB Output 141 / Input 100
- Set the layer to normal 100 percent opacity.
4) Create another Curves Layer:
- RBB Output 130 / Input 121
- Red Output 160 / Inupt 140
- Green Output 130 / Input 132
- Blue Output 130 / 122
- Set the layer to Normal 80 percent Opacity.
(Note, if you our unfamilar with curve layers, this might give you a hard time if you're trying to do it yourself. I'll provide a .PSD file so you can skip over this, I know it can be hard for those who are not used to it.)
5) Take This Texture and set it to screen 100 percent opacity.
6) Make a selective color layer with these settings
- Reds (-35 / +5 / +5 / -6)
- Yellows (+10, -4, -17, 0)
- Greens (All 0)
- Cyans (All 0)
- Blues (All 0)
- Magentas (All 0)
- Whites (+46, -20, +17, 0)
- Neutrals (+1, 0 , 0 , 0)
- Blacks (All 0)
7) Make another Curves layer
- RGB Output 189 / Input 168
- Set the layer to Normal 100 opacity.
8) Make a Channel Mixer Layer
- Red:
- +128 / -41 / +6 / 0
- Make the layer normal 100 percent opacity
9) Make a color fill layer, fill with #d5d5d5 and set to color burn 100 percent opacity.
10) * this layer is optinal, use this to turn your image black/white* Make a gradient map layer, choose Black/White. Keep the opacity at normal 100 percent.
11) Make a Levels layer
- RGB (0 , 0.88, 255)
- Red (0, 1.00, 255)
- Green (0, 1.00, 255)
- Blue (0, 1.00, 255)
- Output for all layers stays at (0, 255)
12) One more curves layer
RGB (188 / 172)
Set at normal and 100 percent opacity.
13) Last Step! Place This texture and set at color dodge 100 percent opacity. (also works on screen/lighten as well)

Remember that not every picture will work for this, you're encouraged to tweak the color to get it the way you want :)

And as promised, a .psd :) http://www.mediafire.com/file/qj5oyiudmhn/dl_tbd.psd

Last edited:
Since this was requested by csifann1 in the LIMS thread, I thought I'd share it with you.

I had to try and remember what I did to get this result, so it might not be exactly the same as the icon I entered into the LIMS challange but I did my best ;)

We're going from to
made with Photoshop CS2

Step 1 - You need your base. I decided not to cut off anything from Delko as it was supposed to be a "negative space" icon and it looks better if you keep the subject as it is.
DON'T RESIZE YET!
Step 2 - You first need to cut out Delko. I used the magnetic lasso tool. Go along the edges and set the cutting points. Then you can just copy Delko onto a new canvas. Use the eraser tool to get rid of everything from the background that might not have been cut off.
Step 3 - Now you can resize your icon to 100x100.
Step 4 - I thought the image was too dark so I duplicated it and set the copy to screen at about 85% I think.
Step 5 - You might want to sharpen it, I always go to Filter> Sharpen> Smart Sharpen and play with it until I get a result I like. Try not to overdo it though.
Step 6 - Add this texture and drag it behind Delko, meaning make it your new base. I set it to 80% opacity.
Step 7 - Now we're going to do some selective coloring
Reds: -21/0/37/0
Neutrals: 18/0/-16/0
Step 8 - Add a layer filled with the color #2c0505. Set it to exclusion at 85% opacity.
Step 9 - Add this texture (I don't know who made it, my computer decided to screw up my resources). I flipped it vertically. Go to Image > Rotate Canvas > Flip Canvas Vertical. Set it to multiply at 80%.
Step 10 - Add this texture and set it to lighten at 100%. I erased the upper blue-ish parts but that's up to you.
Step 11 - Now the text: I chose the font Garamond. I put "investigation" at 22pt, 30% opacity and "crime scene" at 14pt, 85% opacity.
Step 12 - To get a kind of 3D-look for the text, I added a shadow. Go to Add a layer style > Drop Shadow. Set it to 65% opacity at an angle of 120°.
Step 13 - Last but not least, add another layer filled with the color #080220 and set it to exclusion at 100% opacity.

Voilà! There you have it :) I hope it was understandable.

Back