Debate/Dislike a Ship Thread -- CSI:Crime Scene Investigation, Part 2

Discussion in 'Shipper Central' started by happyharper13, May 19, 2009.

1. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

Re: Debate/Dislike a Ship Thread -- CSI:Crime Scene Investigation, Par

Yeah, he did get flirty with those pesky maggots when he stuck to them to tape.:lol:

2. Speedystokesgirl

Speedystokesgirl Judge

Through researching something else, I did look at transcripts for this episode.

Actually Nick pats Greg on the should and says "Thanks, Pal" Not Doll.

I couldn't see Nick saying that to Greg. Joking around, as he did with Warrick, yes, but to just say it, no.

However, I still get a kick out Nick calling Grissom 'Peanut'. The look on Grissom's face. :lol:

3. PraetorCorvinus

PraetorCorvinus Moderator Moderator

He said 'pal'? Finally! That scene always felt odd. Even though I occasionally stick Nick and Greg together, 'Doll' seemed a little too blatant. Thanks for finding that out!

4. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

It was "pal"? :lol: It really sounded like doll to me and I wasn't even thinking in terms of pairings when I watched it. :lol: How in the world did I think "pal" sounded like "doll"? :lol:

5. love_fan

love_fan CSI Level One

Well, I always thought he said "doll" and I've read it in some scripts, too. And "doll" sounds completely different than "pal". Plus in the German dubbing it's translated as "Schatz" which is similar to "darling".

Just my two cents ;)

6. Speedystokesgirl

Speedystokesgirl Judge

It sounds like 'pal' to me. It wouldn't sound right if he called Greg 'doll'. Like I said, if he was joking with him, sure, but to just say it. That would be out of character for Nick, at least to me.

However, what he said is going to sound different to others when it's not said clearly.

As for the dubbing in languages, some words don't translate right.

Of course, there is always the 'you're going to hear what you want to hear' :thumbsup:

Over at twiztv.com they have transcripts and they are very accurate.

Really? I still say he says 'pal'. I couldn't see why he would say 'doll'. However, I think I'll get my DVDs out and watch that scene again. Maybe it'll sound like 'doll'. Of course, now that I'm looking for it, it will. :lol:

Last edited: Feb 26, 2010
  7. GregNickRyanFan

Well, when I originally thought he said "doll", I thought he was just being silly anyway... so it didn't mean that much to me at the time. :lol: But I think "doll" is also a Texas thing, but I'm not 100% sure on that. :lol:

8. Shytownmofo

Shytownmofo Lab Technician

Nope. He calls Greg "Doll." I watch with the Closed Captions on, mainly because it's easier to get the technical terms. At the 12:24 mark, the caption clearly says "Thanks, doll." Also, the way Nick patted him on the shoulder indicates something more.

Apparently they aren't that accurate; cause the caption clearly says "doll."

9. Speedystokesgirl

Speedystokesgirl Judge

Yes, but the closed caption can be wrong, as well. Cllosed captions are done transcribed by the audio, so you are reading what someone 'heard', not necessarily what was actually 'said'. Of course, transcripts are the same way.

As for TwizTV, I haven't found any errors in their transcripts. So far, anyways.

In any case, Nick would not say 'doll' to Greg. It would still be out of character if he did.

This will, undoubtedly, go down as one of those 'he did say it', 'no he didn't' things! He said, 'doll'! No he said, 'pal'! :lol::lol:

10. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

Maybe Nick said, "Doh!!":guffaw:

11. GregNickRyanFan

Maybe he pulled a Randy Jackson and said, "Thanks, Dawg!" :lol:

12. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

:lol: maybe funny, and what does it matter, I call my girlfriend and say "Hi sweetie pie" it means nothing just a sweet endearment, for someone your fond of~

13. NHRFan

NHRFan Coroner

Speedy is right about closed caption. Caption don't alway copy what the person said. Nick did pal to Greg, not Doll. I know about the closed caption, I'm hearing impaired and I do read lips what the person said. Person said pal, but the caption said the other word.

14. Shytownmofo

Shytownmofo Lab Technician

Ah, NO. Captions for prerecorded programs are transcribed using the show's script.

(taken from Here: http://blogs.static.mentalfloss.com/blogs/archives/33518.html)

Sometimes I've noticed on TV things are different, especially if they initially captioned it from a working script and actors made changes in dialogue, and something in syndication is different because they do edit eps down to fit more commercials in, but by the time it gets to the DVD, it's usually been fixed to fit both the script and whatever dialogue changes are made by an actor.

I think this is one where we'll just have to agree to disagree, because I know what I read on the captions, and what I've heard. So, Thank you, and goodnight.

15. Speedystokesgirl

Speedystokesgirl Judge

Well, unfortunately, closed captions are NOT always accurate and do not always come from the script.

steps here

After the transcription they look it over and watch the show. If they noticed script changes or 'hear' something, they will fix it. So it could very well be that the script said 'pal' and the person watching the closed captions heard 'doll' and changed it.

And the transcripts at twiztv.com are transcribed from the actual show, after the first airing.

I'm sorry, but Nick would not call Greg 'doll' unless they were in a relationship, which is not cannon. If he was joking around with Greg, sure, but that is not how the scene was played out.

Now saying 'pal' is in character with Nick. I wouldn't believe Nick used the word 'doll' when speaking to a female either. It just isn't him.

However, I'm willing to believe that the writers put that in for the Nick/Greg fans. :lol:

Shytown, these were captions from the DVD, correct? I'll have to check it out. I believe you, but I want to say. It would be interesting to see what the captions say when that episodes airs on Spike TV again. :lol:

Ok, off topic. Back on topic.

Looks like they're going with the Catherine/Vartann pairing? Are you happy about that?

I'm not one that ships or slashes anyone on the show (though I do read and write Gil/Nick slash, as well as other ships), however I like this pairing. Lord knows that Catherine deserves someone to treat her right and I know it won't dominate the show, like another ship did. In any case, I hope this one comes to fruition, which it seems it will.

Please, please tptb, I know it makes the GSR fans happy, but we KNOW they're married, we do not need to be constantly reminded of it. :rolleyes: